gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680871 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 11:20:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 153 154 155 [156] 157 158 159 160 161 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1411646 times)
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: June 19, 2013, 04:41:16 PM »

Has anyone figured out the Wild Honey piano sound? Was it actually due to a specifically-detuned piano Brian owned or something?
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3876 on: June 20, 2013, 10:35:51 AM »

Try throwing an old upright down a flight of stairs, and then play it in your bathroom. Might get the same effect.

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: June 20, 2013, 10:38:56 AM »

Has anyone figured out the Wild Honey piano sound? Was it actually due to a specifically-detuned piano Brian owned or something?

I've read Brian would sing a note, and the guy tuning it would tune the corresponding note on the piano to Brian's slightly imperfect frequency. I'm not entirely sure how true that is though.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3878 on: June 22, 2013, 08:20:03 AM »

That was the grand, in the sandbox - the WH piano is an upright, very likely a tack piano further processed.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3879 on: June 22, 2013, 08:21:26 AM »

[double post]
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 08:31:01 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #3880 on: June 23, 2013, 03:04:31 AM »

Have Wild Honey out-takes Game of Love and Honey Get Home ever been booted? I've a fair few WH boots but none of them have anything in relation to these two tracks? 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3881 on: June 23, 2013, 08:14:09 AM »

No. "Game Of Love" is pretty incomplete.

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #3882 on: June 23, 2013, 08:30:03 AM »

More incomplete than Lonely Days?. That would be pretty incomplete. I'd be happy to hear anything from this era though
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #3883 on: June 23, 2013, 09:04:26 AM »

I'd love to hear it, whether there's three minutes of it or thirty seconds.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: June 23, 2013, 09:30:55 PM »

Why was the "Gettin' Hungry" single credited to just Brian and Mike?

zachrwolfe
« Reply #3885 on: June 23, 2013, 11:37:45 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:01:43 PM by zatch » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: June 23, 2013, 11:56:28 PM »

On All This Is That, does anyone know what the lyrics are for the very hidden vocal part? I remember reading here recently that they are derived directly from some poem, but the search function is bringing up nothing.

Would love to hear that lost lyric isolated. Based on a Robert Frost poem:

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear,
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

“We live in divisive times.”
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: June 24, 2013, 10:13:55 AM »

Have Wild Honey out-takes Game of Love and Honey Get Home ever been booted? I've a fair few WH boots but none of them have anything in relation to these two tracks? 

I remember Alan Boyd saying Honey Get Home was an incomplete backing track, like much of what has been been found at the Wild Honey/Friends bottom of the barrel.…I remember reading that in some interview or article…and Game of Love has a lead by Mike Love I believe.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: June 24, 2013, 04:20:46 PM »

I was in the Omaha airport on Wednesday last week, waiting for a flight back to California.  When, to my surprise, I realized that the song that the airport Muzak was playing was, none other than, Surf’s Up, done as an instrumental!!!!!

Surf’s Up on Muzak!  WOW  Not a bad arrangement either!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: June 25, 2013, 10:33:33 AM »

Am I missing out on anything exceptional or important by sticking solely with The Smile Sessions? I was curious to know if anything great (and not on the box set) is floating around out there...
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #3890 on: June 25, 2013, 11:02:30 AM »

Am I missing out on anything exceptional or important by sticking solely with The Smile Sessions? I was curious to know if anything great (and not on the box set) is floating around out there...

The Smile 'Unsurpassed Masters' CDs have some great Vegetables stuff not on the box.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: June 25, 2013, 11:13:02 AM »

The Smile 'Unsurpassed Masters' CDs have some great Vegetables stuff not on the box.

Thanks, that's good to know. For some reason I can't explain, I love that song.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3892 on: June 25, 2013, 12:25:41 PM »

On All This Is That, does anyone know what the lyrics are for the very hidden vocal part? I remember reading here recently that they are derived directly from some poem, but the search function is bringing up nothing.

Good few years back, I got that self-same question passed on to ACJ hisself. He couldn't remember.  Angry

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #3893 on: June 25, 2013, 11:43:38 PM »

Thanks, that's good to know. For some reason I can't explain, I love that song.

That lovely bit at the end of the Smiley Smile Vegetables? There's lots of that. Plus Marilyn singing the 'I know that you'll feel better...' line.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: June 27, 2013, 02:21:13 PM »

So I did pick up the Record Store Day release of Song Cycle put out by Warner Bros and I just found and bought a fresh copy of Song Cycle put out by Sundazed and it says Stereo. For now, the first one I bought has been taken out of the wrap, this one, however, I left in the wrap. What was the mix of the Record Store Day release? Mono?

Which would be better? Ive only had the album on cd for a couple of years so I'm not largely as familiar with it as I would be with Beatles or Beach Boys albums.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: June 27, 2013, 02:29:11 PM »

This isn't a question, but just something that happened today that I wanted to share with some Beach Boys fans. I was walking in the city to catch a train, wearing my Pet Sounds shirt, because I always do, when I crossed the street and saw a younger guy sitting in a wheelchair, in the hot sun. I'm not sure what he was doing there, but I got closer and his eyes lit up and he yelled to me "PET SOUNDS!!!!", and told me how he was just listening to the album earlier, and how much of a fan he was. Always good to randomly meet like-minded people.  Smiley

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: June 27, 2013, 02:39:54 PM »

This isn't a question, but just something that happened today that I wanted to share with some Beach Boys fans. I was walking in the city to catch a train, wearing my Pet Sounds shirt, because I always do, when I crossed the street and saw a younger guy sitting in a wheelchair, in the hot sun. I'm not sure what he was doing there, but I got closer and his eyes lit up and he yelled to me "PET SOUNDS!!!!", and told me how he was just listening to the album earlier, and how much of a fan he was. Always good to randomly meet like-minded people.  Smiley

Similar happened to me years ago (about 2002/3) in Monterey, when I was wearing my SMiLE T-shirt, and some biker just pointed at it and  said "great album".  For a Brit, that made my day (though the evening whipped it!).

“We live in divisive times.”
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: June 27, 2013, 02:47:45 PM »

No. "Game Of Love" is pretty incomplete.

That's a shame. That's a song that would've been a nice cover by the band.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: June 27, 2013, 03:18:31 PM »

Similar happened to me years ago (about 2002/3) in Monterey, when I was wearing my SMiLE T-shirt, and some biker just pointed at it and  said "great album".  For a Brit, that made my day (though the evening whipped it!).
I was walking around Lake Michigan in Chicago last Labor Day (well, the day before) and saw a guy in the park wearing a 50th Anniversary shirt (and maybe a tote bag too?) and had to restrain myself not to complement him... had I not been with my girlfriend, I surely would've!  Tongue

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: June 27, 2013, 04:01:35 PM »

(Listening to "Still I Dream Of It")

Comment

Brian Wilson is the greatest songwriter of all time, I hope the world knows that.

What this guy said, times ONE MILLION!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 153 154 155 [156] 157 158 159 160 161 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx