gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680855 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 04:28:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys' Christmas Album  (Read 11737 times)
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2010, 09:50:47 AM »

I am curious: Did Marvin Gaye ever meet Brian or the Beach Boys? Or did he ever comment on them in any way?

I'd say so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-zhTP_iCkc&feature=related

EDIT:
Well, I forgot that you get a better quality performance in the last link of the Shindig!-performance

I did mean something a little more substantial than "we met at a TV performance" but I guess if that's as far as any interaction went... welp.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2010, 09:51:56 AM »

This was probably answered before but I don't remember. Did Brian also sing on Collin Raye's "Winter wonderland" when the BBs did back him up? And was it done during the S&S-sessions? Love their singing on this recording

Yes, Brian's on it... as for when it was recorded, no idea, but during the S&S would seem logical.

Thanks. It's a very nice performance and should be known better imo

It's possible that this was the very last time The Beach Boys were all in the studio together. Either this or "In My Room" w/Tammy.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2010, 09:55:20 AM »

I am curious: Did Marvin Gaye ever meet Brian or the Beach Boys? Or did he ever comment on them in any way?

I'd say so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-zhTP_iCkc&feature=related

EDIT:
Well, I forgot that you get a better quality performance in the last link of the Shindig!-performance

I did mean something a little more substantial than "we met at a TV performance" but I guess if that's as far as any interaction went... welp.

8/31/63 - Show of Stars, Los Angeles Sports Arena, Los  Angeles CA
       [w/Dee Dee Sharpe, Little Eva, The Cookies, Jan & Dean, Marvin Gaye, Dick
       & Dee Dee, The Righteous Bros., The Olympics, Wayne Newton, Soupy Sales,
       Darlene Love, Mel Carter, Andrea Carroll, Jackie De Shannon, Steve Alaimo,
       Donna Loren, Johnny Fortune, The Challengers, Ray Sharpe, The Cornells,
       Tracey Dey, The Orlons, Paul Petersen and Rene Hall & Orchestra.]

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2010, 12:13:22 PM »

BTW, never saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPwuHDitCH0

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2010, 12:37:29 PM »

The 'Boys and Marvin Gaye were also part of the TAMI Show.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2010, 03:06:03 PM »

i stuck this on today, and was struck by how awful the first side is! I mean, it's barely produced - not even sleighbells on a freakin' christmas album!

I still like the second side in it's schmaltz and cheese. Santa Claus is Coming to Town, on the other hand, is one of the worst things the group ever did. It's horrific.... If you A-B the songs Spector did and the songs The BB's did, Spector wins. Apart from White Christmas, which is a tie. I still like it, but it's still half a great record. We Three Kings is spellbinding.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2010, 03:27:46 PM »

not fair to compare spector to the beachboys.......or comparing wilson love to lennon mccartney

no one else tried or succeeded in doing it ALL like Brian Wilson did.......

a christmas gift for you was a dozen vocalists, a wrecking crew , levine, and nitzsche.....of course its all good........great akbum........but
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2010, 03:34:19 PM »

i stuck this on today, and was struck by how awful the first side is! I mean, it's barely produced - not even sleighbells on a freakin' christmas album!

I still like the second side in it's schmaltz and cheese. Santa Claus is Coming to Town, on the other hand, is one of the worst things the group ever did. It's horrific.... If you A-B the songs Spector did and the songs The BB's did, Spector wins. Apart from White Christmas, which is a tie. I still like it, but it's still half a great record. We Three Kings is spellbinding.

Ha ha, some joker you are!  
Everybody knows comparing Spector to Brian is like "a candle in the wind".
Spector's talent burned out long before his legend ever did

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2010, 04:39:49 PM »

What??? Really? I never heard that the Usher Christmas song was released.

And Nicko, I'm not familiar with any of the song being reused -- although "Just Say No" from the same sessions recycles "Wind Chimes."

how is it recycled?
are we talking the Smile version or Smiley?
What compares between the two songs?

nobody knows?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2010, 04:49:03 PM »

And Nicko, I'm not familiar with any of the song being reused -- although "Just Say No" from the same sessions recycles "Wind Chimes."

how is it recycled?

nobody knows?

Wirestone probably knows; send him a PM

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2010, 01:04:00 AM »

not fair to compare spector to the beachboys.......or comparing wilson love to lennon mccartney

no one else tried or succeeded in doing it ALL like Brian Wilson did.......

a christmas gift for you was a dozen vocalists, a wrecking crew , levine, and nitzsche.....of course its all good........great akbum........but

Brian had a similar wealth of talent around him(Dick Reynolds, the group, etc), but i get you.

bgas, if that snide post was supposed to make sense, i'm afraid you've lost me.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2010, 08:44:41 AM »

how is it recycled?

nobody knows?

btw, what's your avatar?
where'd you get it from?
I'd like to see a bigger version.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2010, 08:54:56 AM »

how is it recycled?

nobody knows?

btw, what's your avatar?
where'd you get it from?

at the moment? 
A Capitol/Brother Records Promotional In-store standup display piece. 
It was for sale, once, At Rockaway, from where I took the pic.
 $850 was more than I wanted to spend; tho never having seen another makes me wish I had unlimited funds....

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2010, 09:04:22 AM »

how is it recycled?

nobody knows?

btw, what's your avatar?
where'd you get it from?

at the moment? 
A Capitol/Brother Records Promotional In-store standup display piece. 
It was for sale, once, At Rockaway, from where I took the pic.
 $850 was more than I wanted to spend; tho never having seen another makes me wish I had unlimited funds....
that's amazing...you think you could PM me a bigger version of it. i'd love to see it up close.
also, i'll be in your will if you want me to...all i want is that little thing in your avatar.  LOL

~post of the century~
-Mikie

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2010, 09:08:12 AM »

HUh; I went to  do the PM( right before you mentioned it) but I coudn't find a place to add an attachment; meaning I'd have to upload it somwhere, which I haven't done. 
A project for another day

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2010, 09:23:09 AM »

I have to admit, the first side does sound rather basic and underproduced when you compare it to "All Summer Long" the previous 'proper' album. Makes you wonder if the idea for the record came from Brian or Capitol.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2010, 09:33:07 AM »

I have to admit, the first side does sound rather basic and underproduced when you compare it to "All Summer Long" the previous 'proper' album. Makes you wonder if the idea for the record came from Brian or Capitol.
An interesting question, tho I'm not sure I see why it matters.  
I see it as a simple case of Brian planning one side of the  BBs playing and singing and one of their vocals backed by fuller Orchestral arrangements.
Taking it a bit farther: Brian was expanding his musical vision, but I think he wanted to take their fans with them; So, do songs in the BBs "style", and show what they can do there, and then pull them along with more fully orchestrated arrangements. Where , maybe, Brian could see himself headed at the time.
 ASL hadn't been released when they started recording Xmas, so it's hard to imagine Brian feeling pressured by Capitol, as they wouldn't yet OWE them an LP.
Maybe Brian was cognizant of Capitol's Album pressures, and thought doing the Xmas at that time, would give him more freedom to take time recording what he really wanted , and not being rushed.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 10:11:18 AM by bgas » Logged

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2010, 09:22:39 AM »

We Three Kings deserves a vocals only release!

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2010, 10:51:23 AM »

I'll second that!  We Three Kings is an absolutely incredible BBs vocal performance.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2010, 11:00:07 AM »

I'll second that!  We Three Kings is an absolutely incredible BBs vocal performance.

Oh yeah. Just listen to the acapella performance on Shindig. Really awesome. It is reminding of "Prayer"

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2010, 06:29:25 PM »

Wouldn't your jaw just drop is Brian performed a couple of Christmas rarities specially for download on his site? (like he has before)

Or wouldn't it be great to see him on a tv special/talk show perform: Child Of Winter or Winter Symphony?

Heck, I know it might be blasphemy, but what about Brian performing Dennis' Holy Holy (Christmas Morning).
In the words of George Martin: "This band can do it."
I could just imagine those great vibes and bells....you got Paul M. on that bass harmonica.  Brian possibly playing that beautiful piano part (also from Common). Brian could handle those low low Dennis vocals....the backing vocals with the band would be tremendous.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx