gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681020 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 01:08:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys' Christmas Album  (Read 11765 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2009, 02:22:36 PM »

I have to say, good call on TMWATT -- Brian's remake really trounces the original. For one thing, he seems to have thought about the song for more than two minutes. I particularly enjoy the added bits -- the little riff that precedes the sax solo and the bizarre coda. It adds this peculiar modular quality to the song that's really cool.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2009, 07:11:25 PM »

Well, what the heck, let's make this the Beach Boys' christmas-thread for this year.

OK!

I saw the new CD, Christmas Harmonies, in a record store. I'm still trying to figure out the purpose of this release. The track list is good, but could be much better; a few key tracks are left off. Why not just promote Ultimate Christmas, or, like I'm going to attempt below, do an updated version of Ultimate Christmas. With a good remixing, remastering job on the 1977 stuff, and an extra track or two, I think you would have something special. But, again, remixing and remastering is essential; the songs need to sound more unified. I'd like to hear something like this:

CHRISTMAS WITH THE BEACH BOYS

1. Little Saint Nick
2. The Man With All The Toys
3. Santa's Beard
4. Merry Christmas, Baby
5. Christmas Day
6. Frosty The Snowman
7. We Three Kings
8. Blue Christmas
9. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
10. White Christmas
11. I'll Be Home For Christmas
12. Auld Lang Syne

13. Brian Wilson Christmas Interview
14. Things We Did Last Summer
15. Little Saint Nick (Drive-In version)
16. The Lord's Prayer
17. Little Saint Nick (single version)
18. Auld Lang Syne (without Dennis speaking)
19. Dennis Wilson Christmas Message

20. Child Of Winter
21. Bells Of Christmas
22. Melekalikimaka
23. Winter Symphony
24. Christmas Time Is Here Again
25. Christmas Day
26. Go And Get That Girl
27. Santa's Got An Airplane
28. Santa's On The Way (H.E.L.P.)
29. (I Saw Santa) Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree
30. Morning Christmas
31. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus

What do you think? That's 31 cool songs; I think they'll all fit. Capitol? police

« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 07:31:54 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2009, 07:51:05 PM »

This is a rather confused question but did Brian record a Christmas song with Gary Usher in the mid-80s? And did he later recycle it somewhere else?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2009, 08:13:53 PM »

This is a rather confused question but did Brian record a Christmas song with Gary Usher in the mid-80s? And did he later recycle it somewhere else?

Brian did a song with Gary Usher called "Christmas Time". I think Eugene Landy was involved or got a credit or something. I liked the song, thought it was pretty good. It actually got released on one of those budget various artists compilation CD's. A few years ago I had the CD in my hand at a WalMart but didn't buy it. Wish I had....   
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2009, 08:24:06 PM »

What??? Really? I never heard that the Usher Christmas song was released.

And Nicko, I'm not familiar with any of the song being reused -- although "Just Say No" from the same sessions recycles "Wind Chimes."
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2009, 08:34:24 PM »

Am I thinking about "On Christmas Day"? Was that re-recorded for What I Really Want For Christmas? The titles are confusing. But I do like "Christmas Time" anyway.

EDIT: Yeah, I confused "Christmas Time" with "On Christmas Day", which appeared on Twenty Christmas Stars III. Brian did re-record "On Christmas Day" for WIRWFC didn't he?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 09:26:22 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2009, 09:24:39 PM »

Nope, it wasn't re-recorded, but the 2000 recording of "On Christmas Day" was used as a bonus track on WIRWFC. And I do recall that being on a comp.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 01:01:45 AM by claymcc » Logged
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2009, 11:45:27 PM »

Thanks for the responses and for reminding me of the song. I agree that it's not bad at all and certainly better than most of the other songs from the Usher period. The less said about Just Say No the better though...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2009, 01:02:42 AM »

Drugs -- are dangerous!

They are -- too glamorous!

Getting high's not the thing to do;

Don't you know drugs will poison you?
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2009, 06:45:32 AM »

Let the Wind Blow -- winter? I associate it with May/June. Late spring, early summer.

Yes, it's winter: "Let the moon glow, On the fallen snow," & spring is coming: "Let the bird sing, With the coming spring."

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2009, 06:54:09 AM »

To answer Rocker's question, Brian played the organ on "Christmas Day".  I believe he played the bass on the basic track and overdubbed the organ solo.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2009, 07:16:03 AM »

To answer Rocker's question, Brian played the organ on "Christmas Day".  I believe he played the bass on the basic track and overdubbed the organ solo.

Thank you ! I like that solo, although he messes up at one point

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2009, 08:11:35 AM »

Because of my OCD, I had to track down the 20 Christmas Stars III version of Brian's "On Christmas Day", and, it is a slightly different mix than the WIRWFC version.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2009, 10:24:23 AM »

Drugs -- are dangerous!

Drugs are good, 'mmkay.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2009, 06:31:34 PM »

Just listened to a lot of this stuff for the first time. Holy Jeezus, Brian's lead on "Blue Christmas" knocked me out. We all know Brian's a great vocalist, especially back then, but this one... wow, never really heard him sing quite like this, I guess because none of their songs really called for it.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2009, 10:18:27 AM »

Just listened to a lot of this stuff for the first time. Holy Jeezus, Brian's lead on "Blue Christmas" knocked me out. We all know Brian's a great vocalist, especially back then, but this one... wow, never really heard him sing quite like this, I guess because none of their songs really called for it.

That one really blew my mind the first time I heard it too.  Brian's version blows Elvis' out of the water, in my opinion.  Brian did a better job capturing the sad nature of the song with his voice.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2009, 01:50:11 PM »

This was probably answered before but I don't remember. Did Brian also sing on Collin Raye's "Winter wonderland" when the BBs did back him up? And was it done during the S&S-sessions? Love their singing on this recording

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2009, 03:53:20 PM »

That one really blew my mind the first time I heard it too.  Brian's version blows Elvis' out of the water, in my opinion.  Brian did a better job capturing the sad nature of the song with his voice.

I'm going to have to agree. probably because of Reynold's arrangement more than Brian's (admittedly fantastic) vocal. I love that.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2010, 08:39:49 AM »

Here's the '64 Shindig-Christmasspecial, featuring the Beach Boys as "headliners".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWfnntRFroE&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_x5Otfoatc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DIE-r1DCcM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NPVDLSnZP8&feature=related

- Jack Rieley
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2010, 08:57:06 AM »

I am curious: Did Marvin Gaye ever meet Brian or the Beach Boys? Or did he ever comment on them in any way?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2010, 09:05:35 AM »

And Nicko, I'm not familiar with any of the song being reused -- although "Just Say No" from the same sessions recycles "Wind Chimes."

how is it recycled?
are we talking the Smile version or Smiley?
What compares between the two songs?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2010, 09:24:45 AM »

I am curious: Did Marvin Gaye ever meet Brian or the Beach Boys? Or did he ever comment on them in any way?

I'd say so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-zhTP_iCkc&feature=related

EDIT:
Well, I forgot that you get a better quality performance in the last link of the Shindig!-performance
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 09:48:44 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2010, 09:42:29 AM »

This was probably answered before but I don't remember. Did Brian also sing on Collin Raye's "Winter wonderland" when the BBs did back him up? And was it done during the S&S-sessions? Love their singing on this recording

Yes, Brian's on it... as for when it was recorded, no idea, but during the S&S would seem logical.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2010, 09:44:53 AM »

Drugs -- are dangerous!

Think you'll find that 2nd line has a "not" in it. My copy, I mean, the one I heard does.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2010, 09:49:24 AM »

Yes, Brian's on it... as for when it was recorded, no idea, but during the S&S would seem logical.
[/quote

Thanks. It's a very nice performance and should be known better imo

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx