gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681321 Posts in 27634 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 03, 2024, 10:09:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Country Air \  (Read 8243 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2009, 08:31:22 PM »

Has there ever been an explanation of why there is a strange buzz on the song Country Air? Was it a deliberate sound effect? Or was it a master tape problem?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 09:37:09 PM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jason
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 09:20:02 PM »

Problem with the connections in the Baldwin.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 09:31:59 PM »

Why didn't he just do another take?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 09:38:39 PM »

Or just leave the Baldwin out, in favor of another keyboard?

XY
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 11:45:44 PM »

That's a think that always bothered me. How did this get over the producer's quality control? Kinda shows that someone lost interest in unsullied perfection.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 11:54:57 PM »

There is also a very jarring, poorly done edit in " I'd Love Just Once To See You" that bugs me every time I hear it.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 01:56:02 AM »

I've always assumed it's supposed to be there, bit like that 'edge-of-hearing' guitar on one fragment of "BWTL".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 03:33:27 AM »

I wouldn't mind so much if it didn't sound quite so much like the sound speakers make as your phone is about to recieve a call.....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 10:27:49 AM »

I've always loved that buzz in Country Air...it adds a little bit of a sinister vibe, a scary acid flashback overtone, amid the beauty and simplicity of the track. I know Brian left it there because he dug it at the time. The "jarring" edit in I'd Love Just Once To See You is also one of those mistakes that creates an organic hiccup that really works for me. Hard to explain but it adds rather than detracts. If either of those things were pro-tooled out of there I'd miss them for sure.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 05:19:06 PM »

To me, Country Air is one of the most breathtakingly beautiful songs on WH (along with Let the Wind Blow), but when I hear that keyboard buzz, I have an urge to go grab a flyswatter!  Seriously, though, it's not distracting enough to ruin the song for me.

I'd Love Just Once is a different story.  I'm a mathematical kinda guy.  That edit throws me off enough to where I lose my place in the tempo.  Subconceously, I'm thinking "1-2-3-4,1-2....1....uh, no 1....where are we?"

This is a little different than the time signature changes that bands like Kansas liked to do deliberately.
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 05:46:20 PM »

To me, Country Air is one of the most breathtakingly beautiful songs on WH (along with Let the Wind Blow), but when I hear that keyboard buzz, I have an urge to go grab a flyswatter!  Seriously, though, it's not distracting enough to ruin the song for me.

I'd Love Just Once is a different story.  I'm a mathematical kinda guy.  That edit throws me off enough to where I lose my place in the tempo.  Subconceously, I'm thinking "1-2-3-4,1-2....1....uh, no 1....where are we?"

This is a little different than the time signature changes that bands like Kansas liked to do deliberately.

it's just a bar of 2.. actually sounds quite deliberate, whether it was originally or not..
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 05:59:39 PM »

Kinda shows that someone lost interest in unsullied perfection.
But even in his prime, Brian was prone to letting imperfections into mixes (such as Pet Sounds). He was never a perfectionist in terms of technical product.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 08:02:27 PM »

I've always assumed it's supposed to be there, bit like that 'edge-of-hearing' guitar on one fragment of "BWTL".

The "Country Air" buzz reminds me of a muted trumpeter's swan, so I dig it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 09:42:46 PM »

Are you talking about the version on the 1990 "twofer" of Smiley/Wild Honey? Can you point me to where in the recording(how many minutes, etc...) you're talking about?

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 09:44:22 PM »

Speaking of Country Air, there is a booted "stereo" version, with even more of the buzz than the 1990 "twofer" version.

Jason
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 09:45:48 PM »

It's true stereo, prepared sometime around 2001 or so.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 09:47:17 PM »

Are you talking about the version on the 1990 "twofer" of Smiley/Wild Honey? Can you point me to where in the recording(how many minutes, etc...) you're talking about?

We're talking about the only version there is, going back to the original 1967 vinyl release... and it's clearly audible, even on a dubious UK pressing. Try listening.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 09:48:04 PM »

It sounds great to me. I hope the rest of the album sounds that good in stereo. Although, I wasn't very impressed with the stereo version of "Let The Wind Blow"

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 10:24:01 PM »

We're talking about the only version there is, going back to the original 1967 vinyl release... and it's clearly audible, even on a dubious UK pressing. Try listening.

I think he was referring to the 2fer version of BWTL as opposed to the box set version.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 10:44:23 PM »

I think he was referring to the 2fer version of BWTL as opposed to the box set version.
Thanks. I wasn't quite sure what to make of the above comment.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 10:17:02 AM »

Apologies - I thought the track in question was "Country Air" My bad.

sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2009, 10:57:30 AM »

it's just a bar of 2.. actually sounds quite deliberate, whether it was originally or not..

I think you're right, but it sounds to me like the 2 isn't even a full beat.  The splice is very abrupt.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2009, 11:01:04 AM »

The "Country Air" buzz reminds me of a muted trumpeter's swan, so I dig it.

Maybe it's the bees making that Wild Honey!
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2009, 09:38:55 PM »

Not his Baldwin, but a Chamberlin or however you spell it.
I doubt a Baldwin would make that buzzing.

A discipline daddy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2009, 10:40:27 AM »

Not his Baldwin, but a Chamberlin or however you spell it.
I doubt a Baldwin would make that buzzing.

Not a Chamberlain - why would they use that on an album like Wild Honey ?

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx