gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681510 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 04:40:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Sounds (Stereo) - How Many Versions?  (Read 2988 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2009, 06:45:41 AM »

Hi everyone -

I lost track a bit. How many different stereo versions of PS are there on the market? I do have the Pet Sounds Sessions Box, the mono/stereo PS single disk (around 1996 I think) and the 40th anniversary fuzzy cover CD and DVD. Are there more stereo issues that differ? The last point is crucial. How many different stereo sets do exist? And do they differ on the whole, or pertaining to only one or a couple of tracks?

How, by the way, is the surround version? Is it mind-blowing? I don't have surround, that's it.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 07:23:45 AM »

At least two - WIBN differs from the sessions box and the version that's on Spotify (whatever version of PS that is) because it has the Mike vocal on the bridge. GOK doesn't differ, and i don't know about You Still... I don't think they would remix the whole thing again, but you never know.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 07:44:08 AM »

At least two - WIBN differs from the sessions box and the version that's on Spotify (whatever version of PS that is) because it has the Mike vocal on the bridge. GOK doesn't differ, and i don't know about You Still... I don't think they would remix the whole thing again, but you never know.

Cheers! Anyone else in the know?

yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 08:01:39 PM »

The 1996 stereo mix  (PS Sessions box) has been re-mastered a few times , but Pet Sounds has only been mixed in stereo once. We did "fix" the stereo WIBN to put Mike back in the bridge for the 2001 and subsequent releases.

Hope that helps.....
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 07:23:23 AM »

The 1996 stereo mix  (PS Sessions box) has been re-mastered a few times , but Pet Sounds has only been mixed in stereo once. We did "fix" the stereo WIBN to put Mike back in the bridge for the 2001 and subsequent releases.

Hope that helps.....

Thank you Mark, much obliged! If I may ask: why the re-mastering a couple of times? Was that because of advances in technology? More efficient clean-ups?

BTW: I just acquired a CD deck with a HDCD-chip on board. There aren't that many affordable ones around over here (Holland), but I found a wonderful second-hand one (I might even proceed to build a few valves in it in due time, but I want to make sure I will know the fine art of soldering by then...). And then it's a winter full of re-listening... great prospect.

yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 09:00:47 AM »

Hope that helps.....

Thank you Mark, much obliged! If I may ask: why the re-mastering a couple of times? Was that because of advances in technology? More efficient clean-ups?

BTW: I just acquired a CD deck with a HDCD-chip on board. There aren't that many affordable ones around over here (Holland), but I found a wonderful second-hand one (I might even proceed to build a few valves in it in due time, but I want to make sure I will know the fine art of soldering by then...). And then it's a winter full of re-listening... great prospect.

Difft. releases require some remastering to make the entire project flow properly. For the 2001 mono/ stereo CD very little was done while for the DVD-A we remastered both mixes at 96k/ 24 bit from the analog tapes and for the 2006 4oth anniversary set the mono album was mastered from a difft. source tape.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 04:49:32 AM »

How, by the way, is the surround version? Is it mind-blowing? I don't have surround, that's it.

I have the surround version, but I don't have a DVD-A player, so I only have access to the DTS or Dolby Digital versions using my regular DVD player.  I haven't listened to it in quite a while (although I did play the stereo version on there a few months ago).  From what I remember it is a fun listen.  It's not mind-blowing in the sense that discreet elements are coming at you from all directions, and I think that is because of the fact that there were only a few tracks on the master tape to work with.  Also, there is very little center information on the surround mix, so it's really like a four channel mix.  That doesn't bother me, though, because I'd rather have my two large front L-R speakers handle the center information.  I'm also directing my low end frequencies to those speakers, so I don't have a subwoofer.  I think I'm going to have to play that thing this week.  I remember liking it quite a bit, but the stereo version (with Mike's WIBN bridge section flown in) is still my favorite.  Now, if only they would release that 5.1 version of the Surf's Up album that Mark prepared, I'd be happy as a clam.  Heck, it's pretty much done (am I right, Mark?).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 04:50:50 AM by LostArt » Logged
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 08:16:43 AM »

Surf's Up was mixed in 5.1 but never mastered or authored (graphics etc)........ Maybe if we ever issue a deluxe version of the album we can include a DTS and Dolby version of the surround mix........maybe
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 11:45:43 PM »

Surf's Up was mixed in 5.1 but never mastered or authored (graphics etc)........ Maybe if we ever issue a deluxe version of the album we can include a DTS and Dolby version of the surround mix........maybe

Wow... I did not know that this mix existed. Here's hoping that that thing will see the light of day in my lifetime; and while we're at it, I'd say that Sunflower would be a prime candidate for a deluxe version too!

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 04:07:49 AM »

I think surround versions of Sunflower and Surf's Up have to be darn close to the top of the list for any potential future releases. Weren't they originally done in quadrophonic sound? Until we hear that, we/re not hearing them as we ought. Unless the most recent two-fer of those albums can be played as surround?  I don't know enough about the technology of such things to even hazard a guess, and my CDs are still crated up while the music room gets re-fettled.

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 06:47:44 AM »

I think surround versions of Sunflower and Surf's Up have to be darn close to the top of the list for any potential future releases. Weren't they originally done in quadrophonic sound? Until we hear that, we/re not hearing them as we ought. Unless the most recent two-fer of those albums can be played as surround?  I don't know enough about the technology of such things to even hazard a guess, and my CDs are still crated up while the music room gets re-fettled.

Good call. I agree completely, with the whole of my heart and both of my bollocks.

PS: my stuff is crated too. New floor has to be laid.

LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 05:01:59 AM »

Okay, I listened to the DTS 5.1 mix last night, and it is as I had remembered.  Actually, I am a little surpised at how much separation that Mark was able to get, considering the limited amount of tracks on the source tape.  This is a very creative mix.  Sometimes the vocals are just in front, but sometimes the vocals are all around you, and it sounds incredible hearing that vocal blend coming at you from everywhere.  In IJWMFTT, the chorus vocals are great.  I could make out the different vocal parts very clearly.  LGAFAW sounded really good, and that has always been a favorite of mine.  Everything sounds very clear on this mix...the mix is a little bit different than I'm used to in spots, but I could hear individual instruments much more clearly at times, which is kind of cool.  All in all, it's nice to have this mix, and I'll definitely play it a little more often after not playing it for a few years.  As I said before, the stereo mix is still my favorite, but I think I'm I'm going to try the DTS mono version next. 
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 11:43:41 AM »

Okay, I listened to the DTS 5.1 mix last night, and it is as I had remembered.  Actually, I am a little surpised at how much separation that Mark was able to get, considering the limited amount of tracks on the source tape.  This is a very creative mix.  Sometimes the vocals are just in front, but sometimes the vocals are all around you, and it sounds incredible hearing that vocal blend coming at you from everywhere.  In IJWMFTT, the chorus vocals are great.  I could make out the different vocal parts very clearly.  LGAFAW sounded really good, and that has always been a favorite of mine.  Everything sounds very clear on this mix...the mix is a little bit different than I'm used to in spots, but I could hear individual instruments much more clearly at times, which is kind of cool.  All in all, it's nice to have this mix, and I'll definitely play it a little more often after not playing it for a few years.  As I said before, the stereo mix is still my favorite, but I think I'm I'm going to try the DTS mono version next. 

What good is DTS sound when something is in mono? If you're listening to the mono mix, you might as well listen to it through cheap computer speakers or a 40 year old car stereo speaker.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 11:56:24 AM »

The DTS mix is not in mono. It's in 5.1.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 04:54:36 AM »

I think I'm I'm going to try the DTS mono version next.  

What good is DTS sound when something is in mono? If you're listening to the mono mix, you might as well listen to it through cheap computer speakers or a 40 year old car stereo speaker.

The DTS mix is not in mono. It's in 5.1.

I should have said high resolution mono version (96kHz/24bit Linear PCM) , found along side the DTS 5.1, Dolby Digital 5.1, and high resolution stereo version on the DVD video side of the disc.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 05:19:04 AM by LostArt » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 01:41:16 AM »

I have a new question re: the DVD-Audio release of PS.

I have a DVD deck that plays movie DVD's, CD's, and MP3. And a good normal CD deck. Can I play the DVD-Audio version in the DVD player so that I will get a new experience of PS? I mean: do I gain anything by buying this version, when I already own the older and newer stereo version?

What does the DVD-A version offer?

Tks in advance.

chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 02:01:14 AM »

Surf's Up ........ Maybe if we ever issue a deluxe version of the album we can include a DTS and Dolby version of the surround mix........maybe

Please please please please please please please please please !! etc

With all previously omitted tracks.
Then I really could die happy.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 02:39:33 AM »

I'd buy any deluxe editions of Sunflower and Surf's Up in a heartbeat.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx