gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680867 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 04:34:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs stuck in mono  (Read 7159 times)
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2009, 09:24:14 AM »

I'll still take what I can get.

The same thing happened when reissuing the early albums by The Who, I believe these reissues were from Japan. But they included mono versions for the songs that were incomplete, and it really didn't effect my enjoyment of hearing all of the songs that were in stereo.

I wouldn't mind shelling out for a 2-CD set of each one of the BB albums only available in mono or duophonic.

Image this: 2-CDs, with both a remastered mono mix, and a more-or-less complete new stereo remix, with nice LP style packaging and insightful liner notes (like the POB reissue), plus bonus tracks from the period. There's Surfin' Safari, The Beach Boys Today!, Summer Days & Summer Nights, Beach Boys Party, Smiley Smile, and Wild Honey. (pardon me, if I've missed any LPs).

That's six albums I've counted; they could release a new one ever two months of the 50th Anniversarry year.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2009, 11:01:58 AM »

The same thing happened when reissuing the early albums by The Who, I believe these reissues were from Japan. But they included mono versions for the songs that were incomplete, and it really didn't effect my enjoyment of hearing all of the songs that were in stereo.

I wouldn't mind shelling out for a 2-CD set of each one of the BB albums only available in mono or duophonic.

Image this: 2-CDs, with both a remastered mono mix, and a more-or-less complete new stereo remix, with nice LP style packaging and insightful liner notes (like the POB reissue), plus bonus tracks from the period. There's Surfin' Safari, The Beach Boys Today!, Summer Days & Summer Nights, Beach Boys Party, Smiley Smile, and Wild Honey. (pardon me, if I've missed any LPs).

That's six albums I've counted; they could release a new one ever two months of the 50th Anniversarry year.

That was the original gameplan for the 2000 reissues.  Cry
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 12:14:06 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2009, 05:35:53 PM »

For crying out loud, what happened? 
Wilsonista
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2009, 06:27:03 PM »

The  band shot the idea down.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2009, 12:04:33 AM »

The  band shot the idea down.

Nope, this time send your complaints to the tower. The initial gameplan, tentative to be sure, was for single LP CDs from 1962/69, mono/stereo (new stereo where possible) and expanded period bonus tracks. Rapidly this devolved to a straight reissue of the 1990 2fers. For the post-Capitol albums, the gameplan was single album CDs with ample bonus tracks, then 2fers with just a few bonus tracks. The "Fairytale" was set to be left off the CATP/Holland 2fer and included on a 2CD Brother rarities set. - it was lobbying by a few concerned fans that got it reinstated, and the CD in question released on a double set. Just as well, as it transpired.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2009, 11:42:47 AM »

While we're on the subjects of "Do It Again" and mixing, has any explanation come up as to why this song is mixed the way it is? The vocals have gobs of reverb on it and it's absolutely buried in the mix - it's always bothered me, Mike sounds like he's a million miles away.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2009, 11:54:15 AM »

Taken with quite a lot of forgetfulness, the vague gist is Carl and Steve D. made a satisfactory mix at one of the LA studios, then managed to lose said mix out of a moving vehicle, and then went back to Brian's house and remixed it in somewhat of a panicked rush. If that can explain the drums, i'm sure it explains the vocals too.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jason
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2009, 03:50:52 PM »

This is not meant to be me stirring the pot. I understand it might be hard to fathom. I heard it was actually the multitrack master that was happily removed from the situation (read: erased) by a bitter Brian as an attempt to keep them from having another hit. Steve Desper had made a safety copy of the master tape during production of Stack-O-Tracks of which Brian apparently was not aware, hence the song's appearance on 45 and then 20/20.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2009, 10:04:51 PM »

desper and carl mixed it down (in stereo) and then lost the master mixdown reel on the way to deliver it to capitol.  they had a mono fold-down of the stereo mix (made on a revox a77) that was created solely to check mono-compatibility.  after they lost the reel, there was no time to remix again, so they gave capitol the mono fold-down tape.  

why the master was "lost" or erased ... i have heard that the multi-track master was lost by capitol while preparing "stack-o-tracks", which seems more plausible than the brian story.

since "stack" came out before 20/20, they had no choice but to go back to the mono fold-down (keep in mind this was not a true mono mix) and create a rechanneled stereo version for 20/20 ... so we have a fake stereo version of a fake mono mix!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 07:51:29 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2009, 10:47:34 AM »

desper and carl mixed it down (in stereo) and then lost the master mixdown reel on the way to deliver it to capitol.  they had a mono fold-down of the stereo mix (made on a revox a77) that was created solely to check mono-compatibility.  after they lost the reel, there was no time to remix again, so they gave capitol the mono fold-down tape.  

why the stereo tape was "lost" or erased ... i have heard that the multi-track master was lost by capitol while preparing "stack-o-tracks", which seems more plausible than the brian story.

since "stack" came out before 20/20, they had no choice but to go back to the mono fold-down (keep in mind this was not a true mono mix) and create a rechanneled stereo version for 20/20 ... so we have a fake stereo version of a fake mono mix!

... with a true stereo tag.  Grin

Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2009, 03:48:59 PM »

Oddly enough, "Do It Again" was one of the 8 track masters they de-constructed on the Sea of Tunes bootleg series, with all of the various overdubs (new drum track, vocals, etc) highlighted on the bootleg.  A true stereo mix would definitely be possible.... if we only had that master tape.  It's now missing.  Argh.

FYI - the processing on Mike's lead vocal is actually printed to tape on the original four track master that was later transferred to 8 track for further overdubbing, so there was no way to avoid it in the final mixdown of the song without having Mike redo the vocal from scratch.  It rather sounds as if they spliced (or "flew") in the words "do it again" to replace "surf again" on the final verse, perhaps copying it from the first verse?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2009, 04:10:22 PM »

Oddly enough, "Do It Again" was one of the 8 track masters they de-constructed on the Sea of Tunes bootleg series, with all of the various overdubs (new drum track, vocals, etc) highlighted on the bootleg.  A true stereo mix would definitely be possible.... if we only had that master tape.  It's now missing.  Argh.

FYI - the processing on Mike's lead vocal is actually printed to tape on the original four track master that was later transferred to 8 track for further overdubbing, so there was no way to avoid it in the final mixdown of the song without having Mike redo the vocal from scratch.  It rather sounds as if they spliced (or "flew") in the words "do it again" to replace "surf again" on the final verse, perhaps copying it from the first verse?

The effect really isn't too distracting, but how buried his vocal sounds has always been sort of distracting.

Interesting stories in here - I had no idea.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2009, 07:53:03 PM »

AAH ... so it was "lost" in 84 then!  i think this is one of brian's (and carl's) greatest productions and wouldn't change a thing.

LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2009, 08:27:42 PM »

Wow, I've always wondered why there was an "s" sound right before he says "do" on that verse. I thought it was a mistake by him on one of the double tracked vocals.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2009, 10:44:39 PM »

While we're on the subjects of "Do It Again" and mixing, has any explanation come up as to why this song is mixed the way it is? The vocals have gobs of reverb on it and it's absolutely buried in the mix - it's always bothered me, Mike sounds like he's a million miles away.

Funny, I love the reverb. The song is like a psychedelic take on the BBs old surf music idiom (just listen to those drums on the intro), and the reverb was undoubtedly an artistic choice. Some of the background vocals sound like they could be clarinets or some other instrument. Or how about all of those droning yet melodic background voices during the 'been so long...' part of the song? Just brilliant. Only Brian could arrange voices like that.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 10:46:39 PM by Dada » Logged
lupinofan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2009, 12:25:33 PM »

I have a clipping from a UK music magazine (probably "Melody Maker") which was published a few months before the Pet Sounds box came out. The general tone was that, following the success of the Good Vibrations box, Capitol were imminently due to issue remixed stereo versions of all of their formerly mono-only albums. This reissue programme was to start with a boxed set of Pet Sounds (which was issued.) There was a cryptic final line about there also being a further box set planned concentrating on Good Vibrations and the aborted Smile album. There was a quote (I think it was from Mark Linett, possibly paraphrased from the Pet Sounds box booklet) about them having most of the multis, but adding that a few cuts would remain in mono as they were recorded that way ("Surfin'" being one that was namechecked.) I cut the article out and kept it, but can't find it amongst my massed piles of junk at the moment to quote it directly.
cta
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2009, 08:50:20 AM »

The effect really isn't too distracting, but how buried his vocal sounds has always been sort of distracting.

Interesting stories in here - I had no idea.

You should have seen the smile shop board around 2000/2001 regarding this stuff.  Twenty or more threads with five or more pages each discussing the whole Beach Boys mono/stereo debacles.   Seventeen out of that twenty were probably devoted to the Heroes and Villians paradigm alone.  Great posts with an immeasurable amount of interesting information, most of which I was never aware of.   These guys here are some of the best.  Really sparked my interest in different versions of music, plus the Beach Boys stuff in general.

Feh.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx