gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:31:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: far out musicians who have never used drugs  (Read 14101 times)
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2010, 10:31:26 PM »

Captain Beefheart... supposedly

A discipline daddy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2010, 06:06:43 AM »

Roy Wood.

Drink, hell, yes - oceans of it. But not drugs (oddly, for someone who penned the lyric "I can hear the grass grow")

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2010, 06:59:47 AM »

Ted Nugent has, by his account, never taken drugs.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2010, 04:52:43 PM »

Al Jardine.

I don't do drugs unless you count cigarettes, pots of coffee and some Jack Daniels.
This is why I can't stand Frank Zappa as a person. Cigarettes, coffee, and Jack Daniels? Geez, he would've been better off smoking pot. He's just being smug. I can understand if he didn't like the typical pothead or whatever, but the way he talks about drugs bothers me. He really thinks his cigarettes, Jack, and coffee is healthier, mentally or physically, than most drugs?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2010, 10:29:37 AM »

Considering how bizarre much of the music Frank made, I think we should all count our lucky stars he DIDNT take any drugs. I don't think the human brain could possibly withstand the weirdness that would have resulted if Zappa had wrote songs whilst high!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 11:09:40 PM »

Does Mike Love count? Or does his meditation addiction count as "drugs"? I mean, isn't he addicted, in part at least, to what happens chemically in his brain when he meditates?

And I completely agree about Woodstock! The whole thing just reeks of a bunch of drugged out assholes making a mess of some guy's farm and not paying attention to what little bit of good music was actually coming from the stage!

I think The Band had the right idea of (To quote Levon) "We piled into the helicopter and got the hell out of there"

I hate drugs!

IMHOP, drugs (specifically psychedelics) are for people who don't have active imaginations or inner universes! I mean, just look what they did to Brian and Dennis! Sure, both guys were nuts from day one, perhaps, but the drugs just made things worse!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2015, 01:42:26 PM »

Captain Beefheart... supposedly

H'mm. According to Barnes's biography, he certainly like his acid in the early days...

Robert Fripp is another matter: "Me and a book is a party. Me and a book and a cup of coffee is an orgy."   

I doubt if The Shaggs took drugs either.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2015, 02:22:36 PM »

I'm only aware of a couple rock and roll guys that never got into the drug scene - Paul Revere and Randy Bachman. In Revere's case, his anti-drug stance caused friction between him and his younger bandmates (although they recorded one of the first anti-drug songs, "Kicks", but Mark Lindsay says he didn't get that part of the message at the time). Bachman's aversion to drugs lead to him quitting The Guess Who - those guys were heavy duty party animals.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2015, 02:55:16 PM »

J O N A T H A N   R I C H M A N

Please delete my account
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2015, 08:40:46 PM »

Sort of 3 categories I'm seeing here -- those who never used drugs or alcohol, those who may have a small alcohol intake but no other drugs generally, and those who did a sh*t ton of drugs and booze but are now clean and sober.  There is a fairly significant number in that last group.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2015, 08:53:32 PM »

Funny - Robert Fripp is another matter: "Me and a book is a party. Me and a book and a cup of coffee is an orgy."  

LOL!

It looks like you guys are struggling to cough up some straight artists.  Interesting...

(I also think woodstock was overrated, but I wasn't there, so can't be entirely certain.  Wink)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 08:54:42 PM by bonnie bella » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2015, 01:09:02 AM »

Funny - Robert Fripp is another matter: "Me and a book is a party. Me and a book and a cup of coffee is an orgy."  

LOL!

It looks like you guys are struggling to cough up some straight artists.  Interesting...

(I also think woodstock was overrated, but I wasn't there, so can't be entirely certain.  Wink)

When the current active threads fail to appeal for whatever reason, I look for an old topic to dig up----this one, for instance...

Cory Wells, who died recently, seems to have been a clean liver.

As for Woodstock, I think Monterey in '67 was a far more magical and less bloated affair. I wasn't at either----makes you wonder if anyone here was...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2015, 06:45:19 AM »

Recent threads are fine but some of us weren't here from eons ago. We missed some of the initial discussions. Therefore, it's totally okay to post in an old thread &/or quote an old post if there is sth. to agree with/dispute/catch up.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2015, 09:27:47 PM »

LOL!

When the current active threads fail to appeal for whatever reason, I look for an old topic to dig up----this one, for instance...

Cory Wells, who died recently, seems to have been a clean liver.

As for Woodstock, I think Monterey in '67 was a far more magical and less bloated affair. I wasn't at either----makes you wonder if anyone here was...

Chuck Negron confirms in his autobio that Cory was not into drugs. But Danny and especially Chuck did enough dope for the three - or seven - of them.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx