gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:37:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: far out musicians who have never used drugs  (Read 14076 times)
nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2009, 08:54:11 PM »

i despise drugs and i'm tired of reading/hearing/seeing musicians using them. i hate the idea that one has to become a spiritual beggar to make extraordinary music. i've seriously considered not listening to any music except some indian classical music ever again just because i want to be as far away from the drug influence as possible. perhaps you find this strange but it's for the same reasons i don't watch tv - i don't want that sh*t infiltrating my mind!!!

i was watching some clips of the 1969 woodstock thing on youtube last night. there was a ten minute segment showing thousands of people smoking pot. i hate woodstock, it stinks. it means nothing to me. i see it as a spiritually dull gathering of drug addicts and drugged musicians partying in mud. i have been listening to a certain new age type musician the past few months under the impression that he has never been involved in the drug scene. well i found out he was at woodstock and considered it an example of a shift in planetary consciousness. i don't want to listen to him anymore.

i'm tired of the whole influence being there like a shadow behind everything. i have a different perspective on things, neither the below which they assert they have risen above nor their particular level which they are seeing and thinking from and on.
nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 10:14:22 PM »

and ian andrerson doesn't count in my book, despite claiming not to ever use the popular drugs, he still smoked cigarettes and a pipe

cigarettes are a terrible habit to get into, absolutely ugly
Jason
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 10:24:06 PM »

Is it at all possible for you to go on Blogspot and spew your ramblings there instead of here? This isn't a blog, it's a message board.

But since I assume you were actually SERIOUS with this thread, here's a SERIOUS reply.

Music is music. I suppose someone who writes a song while they're taking aspirin for a headache isn't worth listening to because it's influenced by the drugs, right? And of course the most bitter of ironies is that every post you write here comes off like it was done under the influence of about a sandwich bag's worth of pot. Wake up and smell the coffee.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 09:55:05 AM »

I actually like most of these ramblings and I do agree about Woodstock.  Afro
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 03:41:18 PM »

I subscribe to what John Lennon said about it: Who cares whether a person is on drugs or in a swimming pool? The artist makes the music, not the drug.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 03:59:34 PM »

here here pixletwin!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 02:10:07 PM »

Nobody: See if this is true.. read it slowly and carefully. Drugs will not show you anything that is beyond your own consciousness, which is limited by experience, and so limited by the past, time.  Inspiration comes from beyond the mind and is always new. This is where creativity comes from.  For that which is beyond the mind to come about, the mind has to end, be silent, die.  Some drugs like hallucinogens and pot can appear to do this, but it is always limited by the experience which always comes to an end.  Drugs are dangerous because of the way the mind works.  Thought, which is the mind, looks back on the experience of the drug, which it labels as pleasurable, after it has passed out of the state of experiencing in the present (in which thought is not), and says "I must have that again," thus adding continuity to the experience and leading to endless desire for more, which is addiction.  If you see this, then drugs lose their significance as 'spiritual' tools.  Also, the word spiritual has become quite a worn-out, over-used, and corrupt word.

Time is thought.  Love is when thought is not.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 02:14:41 PM by variable2 » Logged
sleeptalk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 12:48:48 AM »

Is it at all possible for you to go on Blogspot and spew your ramblings there instead of here? This isn't a blog, it's a message board.

it's not like he's posting a daily stream of "MY LIFE TODAY" threads or something. this is a music section — he asked a question about music that just happened to be framed by a lot of personal perspective. which is what messageboards are all about, anyhow...a discussion between various personal perspectives. what, pray tell, pissed you off about this particular post? its length?

Music is music. I suppose someone who writes a song while they're taking aspirin for a headache isn't worth listening to because it's influenced by the drugs, right?

this is missing the point entirely. and it's a pretty simple point.

And of course the most bitter of ironies is that every post you write here comes off like it was done under the influence of about a sandwich bag's worth of pot. Wake up and smell the coffee.

that's what makes his posts entertaining! knowing he doesn't have to toke up/inject himself in order to write them is all the more entertaining. a lot of his posts have made me laugh out loud; ain't nothing wrong with that!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 02:43:19 AM »

I think Zappa did not use street drugs, but he chainsmoked, as far as I know. And nicotin is one of the most addictive substances known to mankind (although the tar and small amounts of carcinogens and heavy metals (no pun) do the damage.

I happen to like music by various musicians who were enormous ingesters. Brian, John Fahey, Leonard Bernstein, the lot.

On the other hand, I think that drug use can bring a relatively brief episode of stimulation and elation, and then the rot sets in. But by then you are hooked. Cocaine brings perhaps 15 minutes of fun to the addict, and days of stark depression and withdrawal.

So: I indeed hate the days when drugs were 'cool', and supported by many people. I fear that many an elderly vagrant and beggar now once followed their advice.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 04:54:42 AM »

It would be interesting to name more musicians who did not use (or are not thought to have used) drugs other than coffee and maybe cigarettes and think about their music from that perspective. Hmm, who can I think of?

I guess REM used pot when they were very young but supposedly really haven't partaken since then (except drinking, but not to excess--unless you're Peter Buck). They Might Be Giants, who I loved in college, are a coffee-only band. Mozart? "Amadeus" suggested that he was a drinker, but biographies say that he really wasn't too into the wine. Michael Jackson apparently stayed away from the drugs until recent years. Gene Simmons. He could probably stand to mellow out a bit.

I'm not very good at this because my knowledge of musicians really isn't that wide.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 05:20:30 AM »

Beethoven was a wine addict. He suffered from depression and irritable bowel syndrome, and probably he drank alot because of that, and also his hearing loss, which became 100%. But wine can also do lots of damage to your intestines and make you depressed.

And I think G.G. Allin used to smoke a tiny bit of the weed every  month or so.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 07:52:09 AM »

Seems to me that a thread like this is difficult in most cases, we as listeners have no idea. You know the drug casualties. You know the people who constantly vaunt their abstinence. But after that it's pretty blurry, based on guesses or assumptions.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 08:06:40 AM »

Seems to me that a thread like this is difficult in most cases, we as listeners have no idea. You know the drug casualties. You know the people who constantly vaunt their abstinence. But after that it's pretty blurry, based on guesses or assumptions.

...which is, of course, true. Thank God for the cool and observing wit and wisdom of our Luther. If he did not exist already, we would have to invent him.

Whaddaguy!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 08:19:13 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 08:22:52 AM »

BTW I'd think that David Thomas (Pere Ubu) and Prince, being Jehova's Witnesses, are (were) really clean. Little drink, no smoking, no street drugs is their policy.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 08:50:57 AM »

I don't exist. You did invent me. These posts are yours.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 09:16:04 AM »

I don't exist. You did invent me. These posts are yours.

It's my MPD again! Next thing you know, I'll be Brian Wilson, twittering merrily away about the non-imminent release of that SMiLE box set...

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 09:19:21 AM »

If you were Brian Wilson, there's a good chance you'd have no idea what a box set is. Or Smile, for that matter.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 09:30:43 AM »

If you were Brian Wilson, there's a good chance you'd have no idea what a box set is. Or Smile, for that matter.

LOL I can't top that...

mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2009, 01:09:28 AM »

I think Zappa did not use street drugs, but he chainsmoked, as far as I know. And nicotin is one of the most addictive substances known to mankind (although the tar and small amounts of carcinogens and heavy metals (no pun) do the damage.
I was aquainted with Frank for a while and I would say that he was not a "chainsmoker",  but that he was a fairly heavy smoker as well as a heavy espresso drinker.  He did not have nuerotic smoking habits that I ever saw - like multiple cigarettes going nor was he lost without a cigarette.  He was more of  a deliberate smoker.  It is still too bad though that he avoided all the drugs except the worst one.

other no drug artists for sure:
Bruce Springsteen - also no smoke
John Mayall - (also no smoke? I think)    
Clifford Brown - significant in that he was clean and arguably the best best jazz trumpet player in the 1950's in a scene that was rampant with heroin addiction. 

« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 01:55:19 AM by mikee » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2009, 06:40:59 AM »

Clifford Brown - significant in that he was clean and arguably the best best jazz trumpet player in the 1950's in a scene that was rampant with heroin addiction. 
Yes, very worthy of mention. And also, like Frank (though even more so) died way too young. Clifford was in his 20s when he died.

mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2009, 12:06:11 PM »

Clifford died in an automobile accident.  He was a passenger in a car where the driver lost control and plunged off an embankment.   
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 12:02:15 PM »

I recall an interview with Zappa.  I paraphrase;  I don't do drugs unless you count cigarettes, pots of coffee and some Jack Daniels.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 11:46:01 AM »

I remember reading somewhere that Wayne Coyne of the Flaming Lips said he doesn't do drugs.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 05:42:06 PM »

I remember reading somewhere that Wayne Coyne of the Flaming Lips said he doesn't do drugs.

He might not do them any more, but he's admitted to doing acid a lot when he was younger.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2010, 03:23:16 PM »

Didn't one of the Flaming Lips do heroin at one time?

You can add Weird Al to the 'clean cut' pile too.  Doesn't smoke, doesn't drink, never did drugs.  The only time he had to smoke something was a clove cigarette for the "UHF" video (where he, as Billy Idol, puffs out a mouthful of smoke), and he said it made him extremely ill.

Considering the amount of weed that seemed to be around the Dr. Demento Show when young Al was a staple there, it's surprising.  But I'm willing to give Al the benefit of the doubt. 

As for celebs who cleaned up.... Aerosmith is well known for having kicked both drugs and alcohol in the late 80's - early 90's.  (Though I think Steven Tyler had some issues recently.)  Trying to think of any actors who are totally clean - Jason Mewes (Jay of "...and Silent Bob") and Steve-O from "Jackass" come to mind immediately.  Both had shockingly severe, life threatening drug addictions before, though.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx