gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 06:17:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yer favorite lyrics  (Read 10695 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2009, 02:35:11 PM »

Encasing all embracing wreath of repose
Engulfs all the senses
Imposing, unclosing thoughts that compose
Retire the fences
Whether wholly heartened life fades away

................................WTF?    This stuff makes uncover the cornfield sound simple and concrete! LOL
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2009, 03:54:38 PM »

oh, I forgot Melt Away!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2009, 05:07:55 PM »

Agreed,,The Trader is too long..Reilly"s best lyrics..??..Long Promised Road....FF + Trader to me in that day were like acid lyrics..Bunch of pretty mumbo jumbo..They were all great to hear in concert tho..!
Nicko1234
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2009, 06:00:35 PM »

I wouldn`t agree with that. Just because lyrics are pretentious doesn`t always make them good. VDP obviously wrote some excellent lyrics but there is some dire stuff there too. Rieley`s lyrics work with the songs but on their own not always.

I don't believe the words to "Feel Flows" are pretentious. Those lyrics are way beyond Mr. Love's scope for sure. Love "The Trader" as well.

Van Dyke beyond being a great composer is not a very bad lyricist. Some of us may not like say "The Waltz" or whatever but surely we all agree on "Surf's Up". I really enjoy all of his albums (I'm missing one of them) and I wrote him an e-mail once about a song of his ("Wall Street") and he took the time to write me back. Cool guy!
[/quote]

It`s not about scope tough is it. I would take Mike`s Warmth of the Sun lyrics over the words to Feel Flows any day of the week (and I`m not saying that Mike was a better or worse lyricist because he has written some dire stuff obviously). Rieley`s lyrics to Steamboat aren`t great either and nor are tose to some other songs.

I agree that Surf`s Up is excellent and Heroes and Villains too but Vegetables is the sort of drivel that any stoner could come up with. The Waltz is also abysmal.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2009, 06:05:30 PM »

Although many people don't like Dennis' songs on Sunflower...

What? Who are these people?

I've heard people deride "Got To Know The Woman", but I don't think I've ever heard any words against his other three songs. I mean, "Forever" is beloved.
Me.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2009, 06:08:14 PM »

Lines. Lines around the block, oh, lines. Now the clock is striking seven-thirty. Ooooh, lines. Lines around the block. Lines. Now the clock is striking eight! Walk in, sit down. Previews from the coming show. Now the movie's starting ... oh: the movie's startin' kind of slow, but it'll get better. Oh! There's a scene with these two, oh, he's gonna get her love.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2009, 07:54:59 PM »

Lines. Lines around the block, oh, lines. Now the clock is striking seven-thirty. Ooooh, lines. Lines around the block. Lines. Now the clock is striking eight! Walk in, sit down. Previews from the coming show. Now the movie's starting ... oh: the movie's startin' kind of slow, but it'll get better. Oh! There's a scene with these two, oh, he's gonna get her love.
I was just listening to this the other day. That is quite possibly the weirdest song The Beach Boys ever recorded.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2009, 08:03:14 PM »

I think it is great. There isn't any sarcasm or irony in my choice of it as a favorite lyric, and the chord progression and melody are also fantastic. Frankly, I don't even think it's among their weirder stuff. Rough, maybe.

GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2009, 08:31:47 PM »

This is not necessarily my favorite but I've always considered this a great lyric from the early years.  Shut Down

Pedals to the floor hear his duel quads drink
And now the 413's lead is starting to shrink
He's hot with RAM induction but it's understood
I've got a fuel-injected engine sittin' under my hood

nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2009, 09:05:07 PM »

This is not necessarily my favorite but I've always considered this a great lyric from the early years.  Shut Down

Pedals to the floor hear his duel quads drink
And now the 413's lead is starting to shrink
He's hot with RAM induction but it's understood
I've got a fuel-injected engine sittin' under my hood

Sounds like rap lyrics. Incredibly naughty rap lyrics.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2009, 09:37:14 PM »

The first two verses of Heroes and Villains has awesome wordplay.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2009, 10:37:46 PM »

It`s not about scope tough is it. I would take Mike`s Warmth of the Sun lyrics over the words to Feel Flows any day of the week (and I`m not saying that Mike was a better or worse lyricist because he has written some dire stuff obviously). Rieley`s lyrics to Steamboat aren`t great either and nor are tose to some other songs.

I agree that Surf`s Up is excellent and Heroes and Villains too but Vegetables is the sort of drivel that any stoner could come up with. The Waltz is also abysmal.
[/quote]

It is totally up to the perception of each individuality. I like Reiley's ramblings personally over songs about cars or surfing. Remember the band YES? I have friends who actually writers that hate them because of their lyrics. I dig them! I also like that line in "Cabinessence".
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2012, 07:22:41 AM »

A choke of grief heart hardened I
Beyond belief a broken man too tough to cry

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2012, 07:35:44 AM »

These things i'll be until i die..

Very moving.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2012, 07:42:02 AM »

I used to blow my mind sky high
Searching for the lost elation
Little did I know the joy I was to find
In knowing I am only me

Although many people don't like Dennis' songs on Sunflower, I like them, and I find this lyric tremendously meaningful.

What are your favorites? First that come to mind. Go!

Do many people really not like Dennis' songs on Sunflower? Which people - the deaf? Anyway, totally agree with you, the above lyrics great. However my favourite has always been:

'I threw away my candy bar and i ate the wrapper/
And when she told me what i did i burst into laughter'.

I also like:

'When I look at other girls it must kill her inside/
But it'd be another story if she looked at the guys'.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2012, 07:45:45 AM »

Also it's far from my favourite Surf's Up song but I love the 'toothpaste and soap turning our oceans to bubblebath' rhyme in the middle of Dont Go Near...
jamsvet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2012, 10:59:30 PM »

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2012, 12:22:03 AM »

I know you cried, and you felt blue
But when I could I gave strength to you
I'm waiting for the day when you can love again

He hurt you then, but that's all done
I guess I'm saying you're the only one
I'm waiting for the day when you can love again

deep heart touching lyrics Smiley
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2012, 07:56:18 AM »

"I need the warmth of your smile
To heat my frostbitten sorrow
I need your hand on my shoulder
To lead todays to tomorrows."

"So hard to laugh a child-like giggle
When the tears start to torture my mind."

And all of 'Surf's Up' and 'Cabin Essence'

« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 07:59:46 AM by Sail On, Brian » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2012, 08:14:57 AM »

+1

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2012, 02:34:32 PM »

My top 3:
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
Surf's Up
'Til I Die

Other notable mentions:
Please Let Me Wonder
In My Room