gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:57:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love In Real Love  (Read 11369 times)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2009, 06:23:20 AM »

I was watching the promo clip for the song "Real Love" by The Beatles (or John Lennon if you like) and I noticed that there is footage of Mike with John and Paul in Rishikesh! Just thought I'd point it out for those interested. It's only very brief - it's about 2 and half minutes into the clip. Anyway, it made me wonder, is there more footage like this that appears anywhere else? I know that somewhere I have seen footage of Rishikesh from that time but I can't remember if Mike appears in it or not. Also, does anyone have any photos of Mike in Rishikesh? I have one or two myself somewhere but surely there are plenty of photos from that trip? In particular I'd love to see some photos of Mike with any of the Beatles.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 07:36:35 AM »

In The Beatles anothology book, there's a photo of Mike and George, but i don't have it on me so can't scan it in Sad

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 09:01:32 AM »

I think there's footage on the Anthology doc.

There's gotta be more, with the Happy Birthday Michael Love (that Wolfman Jack did)....wait, that mind have been a radio thing...dang, I cant remember

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 09:31:19 AM »

Is it the real Mike, pre-death, or the new Mike?
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 09:49:38 AM »

nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 09:53:33 AM »

John's thoughts : if I ignore him he'll get the idea

George's thoughts : oh god please shut up, please shut up, please shut up

Mike's thoughts : hell yeah, I'm with the Beatles  Cool
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 02:17:12 PM »

Mike has talked about being there with The Beatles....but has any Beatle ever spoken on the record about being there with Mike Love?
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 02:24:12 PM »

Here is another one.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 02:52:27 PM »

I wonder which of these is the right direction?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 03:44:35 PM »

I may be wrong, but I think the first one is right.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 06:59:49 PM »

Mike has talked about being there with The Beatles....but has any Beatle ever spoken on the record about being there with Mike Love?

If one is to believe him, and take into account the no doubt utterly drunken state in which this conservation occured, Van Dyke has claimed that John and Paul thought Mike was 'a jerk'. Paul has also bemusedly chatted about the amount of 'contraband' the Lovester had on him.....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

MBE
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 09:44:05 PM »

Paul mentioned that he liked him in the book he did with Barry Miles.
nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 09:51:17 PM »

I feel a little bad for Mike when I see these pictures. I feel that his intentions in going to India to stay with Maharishi were very pure and, after all, Mike is human. It's very likely, I think, that just wanted to fit in and be accepted in the scene there. Which he probably was, but comments like that one from Van Dyke saying that the Beatles thought him a jerk, etc... that's just mean, really. Especially considering the context. I doubt Mike was a jerk there. I'm surprised to hear about this "contraband". I guess you mean drugs? Hmm. It's not like the Beatles didn't bring tons of drugs there anyway. That's why they left, because Maharishi was against drugs and their use of drugs in his space.

Mike always speaks fondly of his trip there. Actually, when I see him talk about it I feel really touched. I can see the deep sincerity there, Mike letting his guard down for a bit, chilling on the sarcastic personality, showing his real heart.

Does anyone here know Mike personally? Despite what everyone says I bet he's a beautiful loving person to be friends with.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 10:10:37 PM »

It seems that George and John are enjoying Mike's company in that picture

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 03:20:21 AM »

You are right hypehat, there is a picture of George & Mike in the Anthology book! I can't believe I didn't think to check that before! There is actually another picture in there as well. I have a scanner so I will scan them in and post them up when I get the chance. And Aegir, when I was going through the Beatles Anthology book before the picture appeared as you posted it.

Thanks for that Christian. I know I've seen that picture somewhere before but I'm not sure where so thanks for posting it! Smiley
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 03:21:50 AM by mikeyj » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 05:45:08 AM »

I'm surprised to hear about this "contraband". I guess you mean drugs? Hmm. It's not like the Beatles didn't bring tons of drugs there anyway. That's why they left, because Maharishi was against drugs and their use of drugs in his space.

Actually, not drugs - things like cameras, film, cigarettes, sweets et al which he sold off to his fellow campers.... hence the inverted commas. For the life of me, however, i can't remember where i read it....

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 06:53:27 AM »

Always out to make a buck!
rogerlancelot
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 06:22:01 PM »

I read that too somewhere. I believe it even said he smuggled in alcohol as well and was selling it for $. Maybe it was in the Anthology book? I don't have mine here. Typical capitalist Mike.  Roll Eyes

There is more home movie stuff available in the "rare" Beatles dvds.  Wink
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 09:13:03 PM »

Several years ago I had the opportunity to meet Paul Saltzman, the only official photographer present at Rishikesh. I was fortunate to speak with him while visiting a Cleveland Beatles convention held at the Nautica Complex by the river.

He was seated at a booth along with his daughter, and displayed some amazing photos from the event. You can see the excellent slide show here:

http://www.thebeatlesinindia.com/TBII_Images/

While I was enjoying viewing his collection we got to talking. I then asked him - "hey...did you meet Mike Love?"

His daughter instantly started laughing, and Paul kind of leaned forward and told me a story.

Apparently, when he got to Rishikesh there was a lot of networking going on, people introducing themselves and generally being caught up in the 'celebrity' of the moment. Saltzman was approached by Mike, who assumed that he must be a musician in some hipster band so he took great effort to introduce himself and welcome Paul as 'one of the gang.' Saltzman told Mike that he wasn't a musician - simply a photographer and a great fan of the 60's music scene.

At that moment, Mike said 'oh'...and abruptly turned around and walked off. He never spoke to Saltzman for the duration of the trip!  LOL

I only relate this because it reminded me of that famous meeting between Mike and Chuck Negron in the studio, where Chuck compliments him on his jacket, only to be told 'yeah, if you work real hard maybe one day you'll be able to afford one.'

I'm just saying...you can tell a lot about a guy in how he relates to the hoi palloi.  Cool

Saltzman was laughing when he told me the story, and we got a good chuckle out of it. Everyone else at the ashram was friendly and chilling with the young photographer, with one notable exception  Grin

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
rogerlancelot
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 10:02:39 PM »

Wow. Great story to read as I am listening to "Cry Baby Cry" from the mono box set by coincidence. Brother, can you take me back from where I came from? Brother, can you take me back?

Sorry, just typing what I'm hearing and now I am in Revolution 9 territory...
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2009, 12:33:17 PM »

How have I never seen that before, great picture.

I don't believe the Van Dyke quote, I'd say Mike and The Beatles got along just fine.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 12:37:46 PM »

I don't believe the Van Dyke quote, I'd say Mike and The Beatles got along just fine.

Well, I take it with a pretty large lump of salt. John and VDP were probably both incredibly drunk at the time, unless they hung out before the 'lost weekend'. I don't doubt that John and Paul said it, but i doubt if it was true.... if that makes sense.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 01:27:45 PM »

The Beatles thought Mike was a joke. That's a fact. They've never quite insulted him, but it's clear that none of them thought he was all that.

And I know that rubs that neo-Mike supporters the wrong way, but they simply saw him as a hustler. And -- from the sound of it -- that's what he was.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 08:16:52 PM »

John Lennon said a lot of nasty things about many people, including his own bandmates.  I'm sure that he and the other Beatles were no saints.  Mike Love a hustler, no.  Maybe a hustler in the sense that he worked hard to have continued success.  Yoko Ono strikes me as a hustler.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 09:57:10 PM »

This first one isn't great but here it is anyway:

And here is the one with George:

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx