gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680821 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:54:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where does "Carl and the Passions - 'So Tough' " rank?  (Read 9987 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 08:00:04 AM »

I would put 'So Tough' somewhere near 20/20. Both of these albums are full of good songs, but they don't seem to flow together well. Thus I would rank Holland a lot higher then 'So Tough'. I would say that these albums rank are somewhere in the middle of the 25 (?) studio albums.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2009, 10:00:29 AM »

70s and beyond - group albums in this order
Surf's Up
Sunflower
Holland
Love You
CATP
LA
15 BO

and the rest

I love All This is That, Cuddle Up, Marcella and Hold on Dear Brother and like Mess of Help and Make it Good. Pity one or two of the other potential tracks couldn't have been added...
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2009, 10:20:50 AM »

I've never given a whole lot of thought to ranking the BB albums in order of preference, but I have to say that I agree with MBE's list practically to the title (I, too, prefer STILL CRUISIN' over '85 if only for "In My Car" which I feel is a great Brian rocker).

CATP has grown on me a lot over the years. I could barely tolerate it when I first bought it in '76 (especially since it was packaged with PET SOUNDS), but I like it quite a bit more now. It's certainly the least "Beach Boys"-like album they ever put out.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2009, 12:29:51 PM »

I find CATP to be a very enjoyable listen...sounds like 3 different bands put together onto a compilation, but the quality of the songs makes up for a lack of unity. And as far as 70s rock in general goes, I prefer CATP to just about anything Zeppelin, Sabbath, Deep Purple, the Stones, Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Uriah Heep, Jethro Tull, etc. were putting out at the time.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2009, 01:38:36 PM »

I LOVE Carl & The Passions!

I kind of look at it as the debut album by a band helped out a tad by Brian Wilson. Either that or a quick musical pit-stop between  Surf's Up and Holland.

If Carl & The Passions is a bit disjointed, they certainly got it right with Holland!

I REALLY wish they continued in the C&TP and Holland direction for the rest of the 70's. Then they could've dragged Brian back when he was cleaned up and in shape. As much as I love MIU/LA/Love You, I really really wish the C&TP/Holland band was able to ride on for longer and develope....

This all said, 1976 is my favortie year in Beach Boys history, so maybe I need to have my head checked!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 01:40:55 PM by Erik H » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2009, 01:57:21 PM »

I wish it was a little bit longer - what's there is pretty good (aside from He Came Down, which is a bit much), but it's a little underwhelming at 8 tracks.

Yeah, I mentioned the shortage of songs in my post. I'm not a big fan of bonus tracks, but this album could use one or two. Anybody know of any possibilities?

I also wanted to plug the two "outsiders'" songs. I kinda like "Here She Comes"; the drumming is brilliant as usual. And, even though "Hold On Dear Brother" isn't about Brian (it isn't, right?), it sounds like it could be Grin and I enjoy it!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2009, 02:53:45 PM »

Here She Comes and Hold On Dear Brother sound too similar to each other.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2009, 03:19:11 PM »

I disagree big time.

Funny, I've got a feeling that I'm the only one who thinks that it's not the two Chaplin/Fataar songs, that don't fit with the rest, but the two Dennis-songs and "All this is that". Replace them with stuff like "California ride" and you'd have a very enjoyable rock-album, and nothing would sound too much out of place

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
BennySahuaro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2009, 03:31:16 PM »

I wish it was a little bit longer - what's there is pretty good (aside from He Came Down, which is a bit much), but it's a little underwhelming at 8 tracks.

I also wanted to plug the two "outsiders'" songs. I kinda like "Here She Comes"; the drumming is brilliant as usual. And, even though "Hold On Dear Brother" isn't about Brian (it isn't, right?), it sounds like it could be Grin and I enjoy it!

Back then, I wondered if the song referred to Brother Fataar.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2009, 05:08:45 PM »

I disagree big time.

Funny, I've got a feeling that I'm the only one who thinks that it's not the two Chaplin/Fataar songs, that don't fit with the rest, but the two Dennis-songs and "All this is that". Replace them with stuff like "California ride" and you'd have a very enjoyable rock-album, and nothing would sound too much out of place

I love all 8 songs, but I do agree that the two Dennis songs don't really fit in...I do think All This Is That does fit well though.

I also agree that Hold On Dear Brother and Here She Comes are two totally different songs.  If anything, Make It Good and Cuddle Up sound a lot more similar to each other.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 05:10:16 PM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
MBE
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2009, 05:18:59 PM »

I've never given a whole lot of thought to ranking the BB albums in order of preference, but I have to say that I agree with MBE's list practically to the title (I, too, prefer STILL CRUISIN' over '85 if only for "In My Car" which I feel is a great Brian rocker).

CATP has grown on me a lot over the years. I could barely tolerate it when I first bought it in '76 (especially since it was packaged with PET SOUNDS), but I like it quite a bit more now. It's certainly the least "Beach Boys"-like album they ever put out.
Glad you like the list. I think So Tough wasn't a favorite when I first played it in 1989, but once I got more into seventies music I really thought it was a good album of it's era. I commend it for not being Beach Boys like in the stereotypical way.

One more comment is that I just can't put anything Beach Boys related from 1976 on above the earlier stuff, excepting  Dennis' continued excellence through the seventies (in the studio).
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2009, 05:24:57 PM »

I disagree big time.

I love all 8 songs, but I do agree that the two Dennis songs don't really fit in...

While I think "Make It Good" would've benefited from better placement on the album - specifically somewhere on Side A - I think Carl's angelic vocal fading into the opening piano chords of "Cuddle Up" is perfection.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2009, 06:04:11 PM »

.....Still got to hear the pre-Pet Sounds albums (some of the 1965 LPs would get into the Top 10 no doubt) in their entirety along with their post 1979 stuff...........
My god, man, do it already! Shocked

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2009, 06:07:41 PM »

Wow, I didn't realize there was so much love for So Tough. The album never worked for me, I will have to try it again but I can't get into the sound. I guess because they don't sound like The Beach Boys. I will take All This Is That and Cuddle Up as favorites. Every Flame song seems to last forever and plod along. I just never cared for the BB sound on Mess of Help and Marcella
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2009, 07:04:15 PM »

i think there's about half of a great album on So Tough.  My idea for So Tough was that this was their "back to the roots" album after the progressive sounds of Sunflower and Surf's Up - a raw, R & B, dirty rock and blues (and country) album.  The single You Need a Mess Of Help, with that rough and raw Carl vocal, certainly gave that impression.  Hold On Dear Brother, Marcella, and He Come Down (gospel) are in a similar vein.  But the other four songs are not at all in the roots rock theme - Dennis's lush orchestral songs, the jazzy pseudo Traffic Here He Comes, and the TM All THis is That don't fit at all with the other songs.  So it's a schizophrenic album.

I like to combine the four songs mentioned above with California Saga, Sail on Sailor, Funky Pretty, and It's a New Day and Barbara to make a roots rock album that would have been more suited to the Carl and the Passions So Tough title.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2009, 11:04:35 PM »

I think track by track CTP-ST hold up very well. It seemed to receive less than stellar reviews upon it's release. Perhaps as a whole it doesn't seem cohesive but more of patchwork. 20/20 in many ways took the same criticism.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2009, 01:10:41 AM »

favorite 70ies albums:
1. Sunflower
2. Holland,
3. In Concert
4. C&tP-So Tough
5. Surf's Up
6. Love You
7. L.A.
8-10. M.I.U./15BO/KTSA

And if I would've withcounted solo-outings, POB would end up second...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Goin’Bald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2009, 05:25:53 AM »

The funny thing about CaTP-ST is that it still stands as a solid album, there’s nothing phoney about it. Mind you, it’s 27 years old and I don’t think it has aged a second. It’s also a 4 x 2 album, two songs from Brian, two from Ricky & Blondie, two from Dennis and two TM songs, but somehow it works. I quite like the separation into a rock-side and a softer side. That’s what you had back then when there weren’t CD’s, two sides on an LP you know.

I reckon “You need a mess of help to stand alone” as one of the best rockers of The Beach Boys (if not their best) and I’m glad I had the chance to witness it during a live concert in 1970. It sure is a great track to start an album. They should have played this song live more often. At first I had something against “Here she comes”, as not being a Beach Boys song, but when I listened to it on a good record player and heard all the parts in its right proportions and at a good volume, it was just as good as any Beach Boys song. “Marcella” is still a highlight during Brian’s concerts. The songs on side 2 by Dennis are just a proof of what we would have gotten if he was given permission to release his own album around 1970. I still don’t get fed up listening to “Cuddle Up”.
James Hughes-Clarke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2009, 05:39:00 AM »

At first I had something against “Here she comes”, as not being a Beach Boys song, but when I listened to it on a good record player and heard all the parts in its right proportions and at a good volume, it was just as good as any Beach Boys song.

Seriously....?  As good as ANY BB song?   Shocked

Hypnotise me into thinking I'm not insane
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2009, 05:49:50 AM »

Here She Comes and Hold on Dear Brother might just be my two favorite songs on the album. I think the Beach Boys seemed a little tired during that album. Ricky and Blondie brought some freshness. On the Holland album, it seems that the rest of the Beach Boys were reenergized and get back to the quality of songs on Surfs Up.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Goin’Bald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2009, 05:55:00 AM »

Sorry, Ossama Long, re-phrase: The song is not out of synch on the album. It’s just a fine rocker. I know you can change history in leaving out a few words, but that was not the intention.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2009, 06:02:47 AM »

The funny thing about CaTP-ST is that it still stands as a solid album, there’s nothing phoney about it. Mind you, it’s 27 years old and I don’t think it has aged a second. It’s also a 4 x 2 album, two songs from Brian, two from Ricky & Blondie, two from Dennis and two TM songs, but somehow it works. I quite like the separation into a rock-side and a softer side. That’s what you had back then when there weren’t CD’s, two sides on an LP you know.

I reckon “You need a mess of help to stand alone” as one of the best rockers of The Beach Boys (if not their best) and I’m glad I had the chance to witness it during a live concert in 1970. It sure is a great track to start an album. They should have played this song live more often. At first I had something against “Here she comes”, as not being a Beach Boys song, but when I listened to it on a good record player and heard all the parts in its right proportions and at a good volume, it was just as good as any Beach Boys song. “Marcella” is still a highlight during Brian’s concerts. The songs on side 2 by Dennis are just a proof of what we would have gotten if he was given permission to release his own album around 1970. I still don’t get fed up listening to “Cuddle Up”.

1970?

1972, right?  Smiley

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2009, 06:22:03 AM »

The funny thing about CaTP-ST is that it still stands as a solid album, there’s nothing phoney about it. Mind you, it’s 37 years old and I don’t think it has aged a second.

I’m glad I had the chance to witness it during a live concert in 1970.  The songs on side 2 by Dennis are just a proof of what we would have gotten if he was given permission to release his own album around 1970.

1970?

1972, right?  Smiley

And 37 years old, right? 
PaulHippensteel
Smiley Smile Associate

Tach it up, buddy gonna shut you down

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2009, 09:23:44 AM »

I always thought "Surf's Up" was the best '70s Beach Boys album. "So Tough" is very uneven, and some songs aren't very Beach Boys sounding, but still has some great individual songs, but it doesn't flow very well as an album.

The P.L.H. Organ-izayshun: Rock instrumentals live on an original 1966 Farfisa!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2009, 10:48:50 AM »

Here She Comes and Hold on Dear Brother might just be my two favorite songs on the album.

That steel guitar solo on "Brother" is just killer. Never get tired of hearing that

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx