gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681290 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 01, 2024, 04:25:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Good timin' - Knebworth  (Read 8440 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2009, 07:34:44 PM »

On film though?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2009, 07:43:40 PM »

On film though?
I'm no movie-aker, but I'd assume the film is irrelevant. You either sync it to the edited audio or the unedited audio. It's not like they're using cameras' built-in mics. (i.e. it can be done easily)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
MBE
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2009, 08:23:46 PM »

I never saw the unedited film though I am aware that a few people had it. I could never land a copy.

I think everyone here would rather that a whole show be released. Too bad exorbitant publishing costs (which ruin 100's of otherwise viable video products) and band politics distorted this and the Lost Concert. Now don't get me wrong it's much better to have something then nothing and I'm sure we all do applaud Mr. Boyd for helping get this out but it's a shame that history is distorted. The Knebworth release may make the Beach Boys seem more polished then they were at the time, but it also takes out the more quirky aspects. It' makes them look a lot more retro then they were at that time. The HBO special did the same thing sadly. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2009, 08:50:19 PM »

I've always wondered just how much of the raw tape(s) was "fixed". Going by AGD's website, it seems like this and the July 4th 1980 show were heavily worked on. On the July 4th video, it's rather obvious that the drums have been overdubbed. That's why they're so loud.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2009, 11:05:18 PM »

I love the Knebworth concert but they could have made the group look a lot less like an oldies act if all the KTSA songs (and probably even "I Write The Songs") would have been part of the final product.
But wasn't it first released several decades after it was performed, in which case that's a moot point? It's not as if a 2000 casual audience would particularly notice the omission of 1980 songs over, say, 1970 songs.

I have a hard time putting myself in the position of a casual audience. Let's just say I would have liked it. The group obviously didn't have much faith in most of their post-Endless Summer material and to see them perform a few songs off their then-recent record would have been a real treat for that very reason, not to mention that "Good Timin'" and "Santa Ana Winds" are both favourites of mine.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2009, 05:12:10 AM »

I've always wondered just how much of the raw tape(s) was "fixed". Going by AGD's website, it seems like this and the July 4th 1980 show were heavily worked on. On the July 4th video, it's rather obvious that the drums have been overdubbed. That's why they're so loud.

Well, they're so loud because the mix is just terrible. I don't know who did it but it's just bad.....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2009, 05:50:53 PM »

Well, they're so loud because the mix is just terrible. I don't know who did it but it's just bad.....

I believe it was Desper. 
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2009, 01:17:51 AM »

How does Santa Ana Winds sound on the boots if it`s been heard? They did play it around this time right?

My memory of the night is that someone had to nip of stage to get lyric sheets as it was the first time the band had ever played it live. But I was 16 at the time and my memory might be squiffy...  Anyway, I enjoyed it then, even though I (seem to recall I) thought it came across like they didn't fully know the lyrics at that time!

“We live in divisive times.”
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2009, 01:29:26 AM »

I believe it was Desper. 

Well, I'm pretty sure that Desper would've done a very good mix. That said, all I can judge from is a DVD-copy of the video. Maybe the sound is better on the "real" product, but on my copy it's just dry, lifeless and in no ways rocking. Love the Knebworth-mix though, that one is very good.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2009, 01:53:34 AM »

I've never seen that video before.  To my ears Dennis slows down quite a bit on the second verse...
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2009, 06:04:43 AM »

Here's "Good Timin'" from Knebworth, Brian's mistake is at 1:47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIr5BsQXJFI&feature=channel_page
What's exactly Brian's mistake?

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2009, 07:21:48 PM »

I've never seen that video before.  To my ears Dennis slows down quite a bit on the second verse...
To my ears, too. It almost made the song totally break down. I wonder if the audio is the "raw" version in that clip? Somebody(Al?) sounds flat.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2009, 07:47:42 PM »

There is something I've been meaning to ask about the Knebworth show and keep forgetting. Right after the "sunny down snuff I'm alright, by the...." Mike says something right before the music starts up again. Does anybody know what he says? He says it in almost all of the Heroes and Villians performances from around that time.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2009, 08:09:33 PM »

Not watching it at the moment, but is it "toca la guitarra"? That's play the guitar.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2009, 08:40:12 PM »

I already posted in this thread what I thought the mistake was...

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2009, 09:07:01 PM »

I already posted in this thread what I thought the mistake was...
I went back to it. Thanks.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2009, 09:44:08 AM »

Not watching it at the moment, but is it "toca la guitarra"? That's play the guitar.
"Toque la guitarra".

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2009, 03:38:52 PM »

Isn't the verb for "to play" "tocar"? Is toque a conjugation of that, or a different word?

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2009, 03:43:54 PM »

My one year GCSE Spanish course backs you up, Luther.  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2009, 06:58:25 PM »

"Toque la guitarra".
Thanks guys!  Smiley The first time I heard Mike say that, I thought the "guitarra" part sounded like "da da". I think you guys know where I'm going with this.  Wink Anyway, the first time I heard it, I nearly fell off my bed.  Grin

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2009, 07:34:56 PM »

Isn't the verb for "to play" "tocar"? Is toque a conjugation of that, or a different word?
"Toque" is the imperative form for "tocar". So, literally, "Play the Guitar". Though "Toca la guitarra" is the more coloquial use of the imperative.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 07:36:48 PM by Dancing Bear » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2009, 07:38:28 PM »

Funny, I wouldn't (and obviously didn't) expect that spelling change for the imperative. I assumed "toca" was imperative of "tocar." And yes, I really am that big a nerd that not only am I on a Beach Boys based message board at 9:38 pm on a Friday, but that it's this discussion--regarding a language I don't even know except maybe peripherally thanks to some HS, as well as college Latin--that really gets me going. If somebody says "ablative absolute," well I just might lose it.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2009, 07:59:20 PM »

I like food.  Grin

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx