gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:53:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Orange Crate Art (BW/VDP solo)
5 - 16 (19.5%)
4 - 33 (40.2%)
3 - 19 (23.2%)
2 - 12 (14.6%)
1 - 2 (2.4%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 73

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Orange Crate Art (BW/VDP solo)  (Read 44040 times)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2007, 05:03:43 AM »

Too clever for it's own good. I don't like the 1920's vibe on many of the songs. Boring to me, Brian sounds very bored. The title track is ok, but even that is wordy overlong. The vocals are not so hot. Whatever AGD thinks of GIOMH I think of this. Well I don't hate anything THAT much.

Is it really THAT bad of an album though, I just cant understand why some people really dont like this AT ALL. Okay its not the best and most inspired thing Brian has ever done (in terms of his vocals) but I still think this album is very listenable. I dunno I spose it all comes down to taste but to me this is probably my second favourite Brian solo album after self-titled and level with Imagination (if you include it with the rest of his solo albums) Smile doesnt count of course.
MBE
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2007, 07:34:54 AM »

Well I guess it doesn't make me want to shoot someone, but it's just kind of like Kokomo to me, irritating because they could do so much better. Would I rather hear it then a lot of crap that's out? Yes, but I like Brian's other albums better.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2007, 07:50:19 AM »

The one aspect of Brian Wilson solo-related albums that I struggle with the most is listening to 35-40 minutes of continuous Brian Wilson lead vocals. It grates on me, the "shouting", the over-layered harmonies. And, unfortunately, this album is the "shouty-ous".

Van Dyke Parks did an outstanding job in writing, producing, and arranging this album. I really like the songs. But the project gives off a vibe - to me anyway - that Van Dyke Parks was more interested in associating with Brian Wilson, than having these songs reach their full potential by using another singer. I know some people think that VDP was actually trying to help Brian by getting him back into the recording studio, but I'm not from that school of thought.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2007, 01:04:39 PM »

I think I'd have liked this album more if it were VDP playing piano and Brian singing. Period. Maybe a few people singing harmonies (not wall-of-Brian). As it is, I think the production is a bit on the cheesy side and Brian's vocals aren't particularly good. The falsettos, in particular, are really bad. They're all quadrupled, I believe, and still they're thin. I know there are perfectly good reasons for it ranging from aging to disuse to ravages of his lifestyle...I just don't know that therapy (if that's what it was) has to be released.

My favorite versions of the title song--which I think is REALLY good, one of VDP's best--are the live version from VDP's Moonlighting album and the rehearsal version from the IJWMFTT doc.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2007, 08:16:21 AM »

The production on this album is verging on cheesy. It almost sounds like a less slick version of Imagination, but I like the material and Brian's vocals immensely. My Hobo Heart is an amazing song. If the production was not so early 90's sounding, it would be even better. Brian really sounds enthusiastic about the music  as well. I wish sometimes he would do more random vocal projects, I love every era of his voice.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2008, 10:58:22 AM »

Call me a loner on this one -- I love it and its gentle nostalgic feel, and Brian was the perfect choice to sing here.  I loved this one from first play and I still do.

Call me Ishmael - I agree with you, Jeff. Its only drawback: it starts off with its best song. What most people don't appreciate is its classical approach. Straight singing, very formal. I like that.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2008, 10:02:49 AM »

This album requires a bit of patience and effort at first, then there may be a slow realisation that a lot of the songs here are great. MIDI-file production a big drawback. I'd like to see Brian and Van tour this, with Brian's band plus extras, then re-release it as a live album. Breath, holding, my, not.
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2008, 01:48:02 PM »

One more thing, to be a spotter: isn't "This Town Goes Down At Sunset" very much like "This Song Want To Sleep With You Tonight" from the Paley sessions... just in general feel, and the way that the lyrics are structured similarly...? Even the harmonies are a little bit reminiscent of each other. I guess working on OCA gave Brian a much needed kick up the arse even if events have so far conspired against the Wilson/Paley tracks.
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2008, 07:42:32 AM »

Rhino reissue available now at mid-price.

Watson, did you hear this?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2009, 06:35:52 AM »

One more thing, to be a spotter: isn't "This Town Goes Down At Sunset" very much like "This Song Want To Sleep With You Tonight" from the Paley sessions... just in general feel, and the way that the lyrics are structured similarly...? Even the harmonies are a little bit reminiscent of each other. I guess working on OCA gave Brian a much needed kick up the arse even if events have so far conspired against the Wilson/Paley tracks.

I'm sure-ish that "This Song..." was written, if not recorded, before "This Town..."

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2009, 04:39:35 AM »

Wasn't there an acapella cover of 'Rhapsody' done at these sessions? And if so, has anyone heard it?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2011, 09:33:48 AM »

Been really digging on this album as the Spring weather had begun showing it's face around these parts.
Really a great album for taking a drive to get lost.

The music is very old time movie-esque, which is no surprise coming from Van Dyke Parks. Some of those synths make it sound like The Lion King (TRIVIA: Carmen Twillie who sang 'The Circle of Life' in the movie also contributes back up vocals to OCA), but there's no denying the charm of the music itself.

The stand out tracks for me are:
Orange Crate Art
Sail Away
Hold Back Time
Movies Is Magic
Wings of A Dove

The beautiful orchestration of "Lullaby" takes you somewhere else. Van Dyke clearly hadn't lost his touch.
Brian's vocal arrangements provide the perfect compliment to the music even if his vocal performance tended to be on the rough side. It was a good break at a tough time for him.

All in all, I give it 4 stars. Definitely something that grows on you.

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2011, 09:26:21 AM »

The songs are great. The production a bit too cluttered and fell into a lot of 1990s traps. Brian's vocals are way too shouty.

Like others have said, the version of OCA on IJWMFTT shows what could have been done with this material.

I would love to hear VDP's demos of this material, or a modern re-recording using the BW Reimagines Gershwin set-up.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2011, 09:33:52 AM »

Wasn't there an acapella cover of 'Rhapsody' done at these sessions? And if so, has anyone heard it?

Yes, there was.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2011, 07:14:51 AM »

Been really digging on this album as the Spring weather had begun showing it's face around these parts.
Really a great album for taking a drive to get lost.

The music is very old time movie-esque, which is no surprise coming from Van Dyke Parks. Some of those synths make it sound like The Lion King (TRIVIA: Carmen Twillie who sang 'The Circle of Life' in the movie also contributes back up vocals to OCA), but there's no denying the charm of the music itself.

The stand out tracks for me are:
Orange Crate Art
Sail Away
Hold Back Time
Movies Is Magic
Wings of A Dove

The beautiful orchestration of "Lullaby" takes you somewhere else. Van Dyke clearly hadn't lost his touch.
Brian's vocal arrangements provide the perfect compliment to the music even if his vocal performance tended to be on the rough side. It was a good break at a tough time for him.

All in all, I give it 4 stars. Definitely something that grows on you.
I'm going to agree with you on thestandout tracks...I would like to add Summer in Monterey....It reminds me of something him and Al would do together

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2011, 08:30:42 AM »

The songs are great. The production a bit too cluttered and fell into a lot of 1990s traps. Brian's vocals are way too shouty.

Like others have said, the version of OCA on IJWMFTT shows what could have been done with this material.

I would love to hear VDP's demos of this material, or a modern re-recording using the BW Reimagines Gershwin set-up.

He performs a lot of it live - Sail Away, the title track, Wings Of A Dove....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2011, 08:40:38 AM »

He performs a lot of it live - Sail Away, the title track, Wings Of A Dove....

Indeed. His live takes from Moonlighting are really well done. His live version of 'Orange Crate Art' really outshines the album version.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2011, 07:05:39 PM »

He also did OCA on Daytrotter recently (along with Jump!, He Needs Me, the All Golden, and ... I forget. Something else. Cowboy, I think.). I agree that the live versions are better, too. I have always liked the entire OCA album more in theory than reality.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2011, 05:01:07 AM »

Yeah, and he performed a couple more when I saw him. The songs are good for the most part, and I don't even mind Brian's singing, but the arrangements are just cheese.

MBE
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2011, 05:04:03 AM »

I tried it again but I still don't like it. Sail On Sailor, Smile, and Come To The Sunshine are really good, but I don't care for Van Dyke's other stuff. It's too artsy for me.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2011, 07:40:06 AM »

Oh cwap, I forgot San Fransico....great vocals, I can tell Brian had a lot of fun singing this number.

Speaking of VDP and Sail On Sailor, what lyrics is he responsible for writing?

Better yet, if someone knows who wrote what or guide me to a place that reveals....I would think best way is to copy/paste lyrics then put the names next to the lyrics they wrote...that'd be great...heck, that'd be a great thread...the definative writer's credit thread.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
aerolls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2011, 12:43:29 PM »

Call me a loner on this one -- I love it and its gentle nostalgic feel, and Brian was the perfect choice to sing here.  I loved this one from first play and I still do.

I agree.  I may be in the minority but I believe this is BW/VDP underrated yet imperfect gem.

Far from perfect but from first spin-- I was and still am hooked.

Adrian
aerolls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2011, 12:46:58 PM »

[...] and let me just add that if Brian were to tour THIS album, i would be at every single show.  It is sheer beauty...and the perfect Sunday morning album, too!

OCA demands to be preformed live. I would love to hear OCA sans synths--this time with real strings. They could record a live album it at The Hollywood Bowl with orchestra. It would be legendary!

Imagine the possibilities,

Adrian
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2011, 01:27:11 PM »

[...] and let me just add that if Brian were to tour THIS album, i would be at every single show.  It is sheer beauty...and the perfect Sunday morning album, too!

OCA demands to be preformed live. I would love to hear OCA sans synths--this time with real strings. They could record a live album it at The Hollywood Bowl with orchestra. It would be legendary!

Imagine the possibilities,

Adrian

I mentioned it above, but have you heard the Moonlighting version of 'Orange Crate Art' (the song)? Crazy good; real strings + VDPs singing/piano = One helluva song.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2011, 01:29:50 PM »

I agree.  I may be in the minority but I believe this is BW/VDP underrated yet imperfect gem.

Far from perfect but from first spin-- I was and still am hooked.

Adrian

Agreed. Actually, this album gets more play than TLOS or GIOMH in my house. You're right - there is a real nostalgic feel to the album - and yeah, if they re-recorded it with real strings (and Brian's current voice) it would be a real great album.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx