gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681511 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 07:35:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Surfer Girl  (Read 5032 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2009, 06:07:22 AM »

Let It Be: "Across The Universe" had been around, "I've Got A Feeling" was left over- Lennon's part- from earlier.

Don't forget "One after 909" which was one of the earliest things the Beatles did

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2009, 07:31:36 AM »

Wow- how did I miss that?

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2009, 07:43:30 AM »

Most of the 'Long Medley' from Abbey Road is stuff from Rishikesh - mostly the Lennon numbers.

There's also, from my rather mild forays into lennon bootlegs, a large amount of recycling - Hey Bulldog's chorus was originally something called 'She Can Talk To Me' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWqW39eGSd0&feature=PlayList&p=E389B5A656ACC04B&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=5

and the bridge of 'Real Love' originated here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPoLDiGeLoY

Also, What Goes On from Rubber Soul apparently dated back from 1963.

I would also be willing to bet that rather a lot of Plastic Ono Band/Imagine had been written during his Beatles days, judging by the lack of material he had on the last two records. 'Look At Me' was another Rishikish one, so he says.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2009, 10:21:47 AM »

Is the question, "what's the first song BW wrote?," or, "what's the first song he wrote/released as the bboys?"

My original point was that if Surfer Girl was ealier that Surfin', then it had to have a different name / lyrics. Or no name / lyrics at all.

By the ay,  he must have been writing songs for years before his first release, and I like to think that a lot of ideas that appeared in BBs albums were conceived by BDW back in the 50s. Had BB scholars existed in the 60s, and had they scrutinized his life as a teen, they would have probably pointed that only three songs on Shut Down vol 2 were actually new  Cool

That is exactly what Mr. Hood said . "Brian wrote those songs long before the Beach Boys."  Can you imagine if an AGD-type bitching about how little of those albums was new?  Grin

I once began to work out which was the last Beach Boys album that was was 100% new material - no melodies or indeed recordings recycled from earlier sessions (covers don't count, adaptations a la "Surfin' USA" do) - and I do believe I got back to Friends... and that was discounting the "CIFTTM" riff in "Little Bird".  Shocked Grin

Nice! Is there one before that that has all original material? WH, SS, PS, and Summer Days all, from the top of my head, have recycled material. What about Today?

Could be... could very well be.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2009, 11:52:04 AM »

I remember when Start Me Up was considered proof that the Stones stilll had "it".  But I later read that it was around for quite some time before they finished it.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx