gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680823 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 03:05:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Leslie Speaker Effect  (Read 3175 times)
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: August 12, 2009, 12:15:47 AM »

Loads of bands are quite in favour of sticking their guitars or microphones into a rotating Leslie speaker from a Hammond organ to get that swirly sounding guitar solo (eg. Let It Be single or most guitars on Abbey Rd) or that distintive Lennon vocal sound (Tomorrow Never Knows etc) back in the day.

My question is, without buying an expensive rotating speaker or expensive guitar pedal emulator (I'm not financially viable at the mo  ) what is the best way to create this effect using guitar pedals. For example what do I need?

A bit of flanger / chorus / tremelo or...

A bit of phaser / delay / overdrive? etc

Any advice would help!

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 02:49:59 AM »

Loads of bands are quite in favour of sticking their guitars or microphones into a rotating Leslie speaker from a Hammond organ to get that swirly sounding guitar solo (eg. Let It Be single or most guitars on Abbey Rd) or that distintive Lennon vocal sound (Tomorrow Never Knows etc) back in the day.

My question is, without buying an expensive rotating speaker or expensive guitar pedal emulator (I'm not financially viable at the mo  ) what is the best way to create this effect using guitar pedals. For example what do I need?

A bit of flanger / chorus / tremelo or...

A bit of phaser / delay / overdrive? etc

Any advice would help!

I found, on a friends amp which has all those setting built in, if you stick on a whole bunch of tremelo and reverb, and no distortion of any kind, you get an ok leslie-sound. A quick phase might help too, but i'm just guessing there.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 11:29:05 AM »

If you can afford it, the Roland GT8 processor has some very nice "swirly" sounds.
I've been recording my CD using the GT8 and it still amazes me just how all-purpose this processor is.
I've recorded my Guitar, my Keyboards and my Voice thru the GT8 with excellent results. Once you buy the GT8(or the newer GT10)play around with all the settings for a couple of days. There's so many options inside this thing.

Bri
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 11:42:17 AM »

Buy an old Yamaha organ from the 1970s for £15. They've got rotary speakers and a powered phono input you can plug a guitar into. They're a bit big but it's a cheap way to get that authentic sound.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 11:47:23 AM »

I got a good guitar box  - a Korg toneworks ampworks;

http://www.korgnorthwest.com/ampworks.htm

Not sure if they're still available new but it's got a good leslie sound on there

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 12:19:14 PM »

The Line 6 Roto pedal is to die for if you want that sound.
Nothing compares to it.

Check out demos. All the other one's on the market are just fast-sounding phasers.
It's on YouTube.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx