gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681012 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 10:25:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Back to the Beach  (Read 3642 times)
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 06, 2009, 06:48:17 PM »

I found a book at my library called Back to the Beach: A Brian Wilson & The Beach Boys reader by Kingsley Abbott. I had never even heard of the book til I seen it & decided to rent it out. Its a very enjoyable book & all kinds of interviews & what not in it, but one thing that Im confused about is it says that on "Hawaii", its a part lead vocal by Denny. I thought Mike sung that? Also it says that he sung "All I Want To Do" [not All I Wanna Do] which again I thought Mike sung....

Im guessing I must be wrong? or could this be a screw up in the book?

"And If you knew how much I love you baby, Nothing could go wrong with you"

www.myspace.com/beachboys4ever [my Beach Boys fanpage]
www.myspace.com/foxybritny [personal page]
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 07:19:58 PM »

Definitely a screw up by the book on both counts
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 07:49:23 PM »

It would have been a great title for a 1970's BB album.
Nicole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 10:03:00 PM »

You're right and the book is wrong. Someone didn't proof read that book too well, lol.

I haven't heard of that book, either; I'll have to check it out.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 10:41:07 PM »

I found a book at my library called Back to the Beach: A Brian Wilson & The Beach Boys reader by Kingsley Abbott. I had never even heard of the book til I seen it & decided to rent it out. Its a very enjoyable book & all kinds of interviews & what not in it, but one thing that Im confused about is it says that on "Hawaii", its a part lead vocal by Denny. I thought Mike sung that? Also it says that he sung "All I Want To Do" [not All I Wanna Do] which again I thought Mike sung....

Wrong. Dennis didn't sing lead on those songs. But there are other books who have gotten this wrong as well, and one sources from the other...so don't be surprised if you see this wrong info again somewhere. The vocal credits thread on this site is correct and up to date...probably your best source for who sang lead on BB's recordings.
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 11:16:32 PM »

Dennis' vocal does appear at the end of the 20/20 tune, although I don't know if that could technically be construed as "singing" per se.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 08:24:08 AM »

A fine book. As I recall  it is only a compilation of articles by the late Kingsley Abbott who was a sincere fan with a deep appreciation of the BeachBoys.  It has been a while since I picked it up but I suspect that most of the errors were alreadiy n in the articles when he found them.  Also, as I recall, I think that is the one with the guys in the tent on the cover.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 09:07:26 AM »

The book that really made me dig into their catalogue.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 10:49:30 AM »

A fine book. As I recall  it is only a compilation of articles by the late Kingsley Abbott who was a sincere fan with a deep appreciation of the BeachBoys. 

The late Kingsley Abbott ?

I must ask him when he died, and who has the contract for the ISP in heaven... 'cause I got  an email from him earlier this week  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 01:58:50 PM »

A fine book. As I recall  it is only a compilation of articles by the late Kingsley Abbott who was a sincere fan with a deep appreciation of the BeachBoys. 

I must ask him when he died, and who has the contract for the ISP in heaven... 'cause I got  an email from him earlier this week  Grin

... spooky ...

Shocked
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 04:08:56 PM »

Wrong. Dennis didn't sing lead on those songs. But there are other books who have gotten this wrong as well, and one sources from the other...so don't be surprised if you see this wrong info again somewhere. The vocal credits thread on this site is correct and up to date...probably your best source for who sang lead on BB's recordings.

Thanks Jon! I was beginning to think I was going nuts lol

LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 04:10:12 PM »

A fine book. As I recall  it is only a compilation of articles by the late Kingsley Abbott who was a sincere fan with a deep appreciation of the BeachBoys.  It has been a while since I picked it up but I suspect that most of the errors were alreadiy n in the articles when he found them.  Also, as I recall, I think that is the one with the guys in the tent on the cover.

Correct you are, thats the book

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 08:31:30 PM »

Probably confusing him with Byron Priess...or Timothy White.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 08:33:01 PM by Roger Ryan » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 06:42:20 AM »

That's correct -  it's a collection of historical features and any mistakes are therefore not the fault of the editor/author Kingsley.  It's one of the very best books out there in my opinion.

“We live in divisive times.”
Marie Jayne
Smiley Smile Associate

I get a lot of thoughts in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 08:56:18 AM »

I hadn't come across this one either, after hearing the good things people have to say, I've ordered it. Looking forward to checking it out.  Smiley

Come close, close your eyes and be still
PrayForSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

Pray For Surf is blogged by Phil Miglioratti

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 09:14:42 AM »

When it came out, it gave me hope we were beginning to get more quality writing about the Beach Boys (not just fan-feeding, pop-type pieces) ... and we have.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 03:07:47 PM »

I hope I stand corrected.  I heard that he had passed.  And I either heard it on Susan's site or this one I'm pretty sure......but it could have been on smile shop.
I remember feeling sad upon hearing because I so enjoyed his book and he came across as sincere and unpretentious.

Am I the only one who read that?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 03:21:13 PM »

I hope I stand corrected.  I heard that he had passed.  And I either heard it on Susan's site or this one I'm pretty sure......but it could have been on smile shop.
I remember feeling sad upon hearing because I so enjoyed his book and he came across as sincere and unpretentious.

Am I the only one who read that?

I guess - he's still very much with us, and an all-round good egg.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 03:23:55 PM »

Really love the late Timothy White's book "The Nearest Faraway Place". What an excellent writer. The epic piece he did for Billboard on the struggle over Brian's
solo album and relationship with Landy was really good.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 03:38:52 PM »

\
Maybe Byron Priess.  Are we sure he is passed?  One of my early BB books was a magazine size book format by Priess.    I have fond memories of the book....practically memorized it.

Sorry Mr. Abbott!
MBE
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 04:00:36 PM »

Byron died in a car crash about 5 years ago. I like his book a lot too.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 07:35:12 PM »

Maybe Byron Priess.  Are we sure he is passed? 

Yeah, we're sure.  Here's his obituary...
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/11/nyregion/11preiss.html
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 08:35:03 PM »

This must truly be the site for hard core fans.   I thought I knew a little about this BB material...and I do.....  Roll Eyes...a little.....

I'm about to start a thread titled 4 beer plan that I came up with earlier this evening.  After 3-4 beers.  Let me know if this is as great an idea as I thought....
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx