gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 05:39:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does This Piss Anyone Else Off - The Honeys  (Read 8486 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »

Nope. It's listed on several "import" sites.

Also, I was re-reading an interview with Mark L. from 1996 where he is talking about future plans for the BB catalogue (some of which have happened, alot that have not). He said he wanted to do a Brian Wilson Productions CD along the line of Still I Dream Of You. Wish that would have happened. Still I Dream is such a great set. I was so glad to finally get that CD when it was so hard to find. But someone was selling off their whole BB collection and I got it for like $35 when it was going for like $175 at the time. Now you can't even find it. I was always surprised that no one else in Japan ever re-released it.

Bob

Because it was, and remains, a boot - M&M had no rights to any of the tracks on it.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jason
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2009, 11:29:27 PM »

That, and everything is a needledrop. Karen on that CD sounds like sh*t - there are great quality copies around of that one. We're talking drops from very poor quality vinyls no-noised like hell to sound "good". Granted, probably the best compilation of the best of Brian's non-BB stuff, and a great one for the car, but, a boot's a boot.
GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2009, 03:35:40 PM »

Bob -- That HAD to take at least an hour to post.  On behalf of all of us...thank you!
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2009, 07:38:51 PM »

No problem Mr. Larson!

I really like Still I Dream Of You. And BTW, the version of Karen was the only one available until this release in 1995 (where everyone stole it from for various boots):

Also, no every track on SIDOY is a needle drop. Monkey's Uncle isn't for sure. I have a prestinecopy of the 45 and it sounds ALOT tinner than the one on SIDOY. I have tried to make it sound the same but can't.

Also, Andrew, are Japanese copyright laws (at least in 1993) different and cover releases like SIDOY? I read at the time that the law only covers foreign releases for 20 years. After that they are fair game, as long as artitist and copyright dues are paid. No disputing. Just wondering if what I read was correct. And if it was a "bootleg", that still doesn't explain why someone over in Japan didn't re-release it. Heck, they copy each other all the time!

***********ADDITION*********************

Q: Are the "oldies" CDs in the M&M catalog bootlegs?

A: No, the Japanese copyright law was such that such CDs could be made perfectly legally, providing that money was paid to JASRAC (this is the Japanese equivalent of ASCAP or BMI, whose function is to distribute money to the publishing companies concerned). The seal found on the back cover of CDs indicates that this money has been paid. However recently, the law has been changed, with the result that there are far fewer CDs of this type than there were in the mid-90s.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 07:46:11 PM by petsite » Logged
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2009, 09:49:26 AM »

Ordered my copy (finally found someone who had it) of RARE SURF 5. Will let u know how it is.

Bob
MBE
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2009, 02:01:42 AM »

Television's greatest hits was on vinyl which was rare for the period. Karen sounds great on it.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2009, 08:23:15 PM »

Got my copy of Rare Surf Volume 5 Today. The versions of Surfin' Down the Swanee River [2nd Overdub/Take 28] and  Pray for Surf [Take 28]  are stereo alternates different than those on the Honey's Collection. And it is nice to have 1204 from a tape rather than vinyl source. If you find these two rare surf cd's pick them up. Interesting listening.

Bob
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2009, 09:18:04 PM »

Wow!  a LOT OF MUSIC.   I like the Honeys for the Spector girlgroup influence.  Funny that just a very few years later they sound like the Carpenters when they become Spring.   Not a disss but a tribute to unsung Brian wilson productions.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx