gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680877 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 11:26:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine Not Interested In A One-Off Beach Boys Reunion  (Read 38000 times)
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 09, 2009, 07:45:02 PM »

Wall

I know, I know, I know ...

I feel the same way whenever anybody brings up the subject of 8-tracks ...  Angry

Now back to discussing 21st century self referential surf, car and girl songs ....
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 09, 2009, 08:02:34 PM »

Your "quick analogy" has sparked a memory of my experience of getting turned on to The Band, and if you'll pardon my musing, I'll try to be as brief:  somehow I'd drifted away from Dylan around the time of "Self Portrait", and wasn't impressed when I first heard "Music from Big Pink".  That changed while touring with The Boys in the spring of '72...  After their Carnegie Hall gigs, Dennis got it in him to do the rest of the tour in a giant motor home, and it created a buzz of others wanting to do it, too.  Carl decided to drive with us, and Al got another one, for he & Bobby & Carlie - probably Billy, too.
There's lots of great stories, (& photos) from that trip, but one of my favorites was Carl running into this little general store, and practically buying out the guys 8track tapes!  Yet somehow, practically the only thing that ever played was "Rag Mama Rag"!  I can picture it as if it was yesterday, the 2 of them singing their asses off to that song over & over, with Carl driving that thing at 80 or 90 miles an hour, while Dennis was whipping up "Golden Cadillacs" in a blender...  I've loved The Band ever since - and loved this band even more!  (By the way, I've still got the 8tracks from that trip.)

Amazing, hi Ed, if you could ever list any of those 8 tracks that would be really interesting!

[/quote]
I think he's talking about 8-track tapes, not 8 different songs...

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 09, 2009, 08:18:44 PM »

The question now is- what would you call a whole bunch of Maharishis?  A flock of mararishis?  A pride? A school? A gaggle? A "butt-load of Maharishis" sure wouldn't cut it.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 09, 2009, 08:27:21 PM »

A Mash? Undecided
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: August 09, 2009, 10:19:46 PM »

Quote from: Ed Roach
Your "quick analogy" has sparked a memory of my experience of getting turned on to The Band, and if you'll pardon my musing, I'll try to be as brief:  somehow I'd drifted away from Dylan around the time of "Self Portrait", and wasn't impressed when I first heard "Music from Big Pink".  That changed while touring with The Boys in the spring of '72...  After their Carnegie Hall gigs, Dennis got it in him to do the rest of the tour in a giant motor home, and it created a buzz of others wanting to do it, too.  Carl decided to drive with us, and Al got another one, for he & Bobby & Carlie - probably Billy, too.
There's lots of great stories, (& photos) from that trip, but one of my favorites was Carl running into this little general store, and practically buying out the guys 8track tapes!  Yet somehow, practically the only thing that ever played was "Rag Mama Rag"!  I can picture it as if it was yesterday, the 2 of them singing their asses off to that song over & over, with Carl driving that thing at 80 or 90 miles an hour, while Dennis was whipping up "Golden Cadillacs" in a blender...  I've loved The Band ever since - and loved this band even more!  (By the way, I've still got the 8tracks from that trip.)

Amazing, hi Ed, if you could ever list any of those 8 tracks that would be really interesting!
I think he's talking about 8-track tapes, not 8 different songs...
This post is just to fix the poorly-formatted QUOTING.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 11, 2009, 10:21:23 AM »

A Mash? Undecided

Muster, mob, or murmuration are fitting collectives for Maharishi.  Multiple Maharishi.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 11, 2009, 10:57:12 AM »

A Mash? Undecided

Muster, mob, or murmuration are fitting collectives for Maharishi.  Multiple Maharishi.

*adjusts grammar hat* I think it's like 'sheep' or 'fish'. or 'Maharishes', perhaps?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 11, 2009, 12:08:28 PM »

That struck me as the way it ought to be.  Lets make it official.  As in "a mob of maharishi.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 11, 2009, 12:28:59 PM »

That struck me as the way it ought to be.  Lets make it official.  As in "a mob of maharishi.

Just don't send anyone to "sleep with the Maharishis"! LOL LOL LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 12, 2009, 03:20:02 PM »

Someone should make a comedy about the Beach Boys: Friends/Maharishi tour!!!!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: August 15, 2009, 03:25:50 AM »

Yet somehow, practically the only thing that ever played was "Rag Mama Rag"! 

That song would've fit nicely on "So tough" imo. Better than Dennis' stuff (which I love) and "All this is that" (which I also love).

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 15, 2009, 08:40:54 AM »

I feel that TLOS represented a good way to approach "the Beach Boys sound" for the 21st century. It was retro but had enough new ideas not to be cliched or predictable; it was fresh sounding but didn't rely on trendy sounds to make Brian sound like he was trying to be 40 years younger. If the BBs could pull something off with those qualities, that would be great. Unfortunately their track record since about 1980 has not been that great. And I see nothing wrong with a reunion consisting only of old songs. As has been said, many 60s bands have done reunions without having anything new to sell. That being said, I'm pretty much against a reunion. I'm definitely against Al's idea of touring for a year. Is he crazy? Could they all get along for that long? Could Brian handle the psychological strain? Could they all handle the physical strain?

I guess if it were a one-off thing, or maybe 5 shows, I'd be for it. That said, I think they'd have to be sure they could still sound good together, maybe by gathering around the piano and Brian's house and testing the old pipes. And then, if they could be sure of that, it would have to be fun. Just a fun event. No pressure. Just a fun get-together with good old fashioned BBs music so they could all just laugh again, and Brian, if need be, could say, "Hey, this isn't bad, as long as there are only a few shows. This is sort of fun."

Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 15, 2009, 05:01:30 PM »

At this point, they're all in it for the money. Not the fun. The fun times, sadly, are over.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: August 16, 2009, 06:15:45 AM »

A Mash? Undecided

A transcendence of maharishi ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 16, 2009, 08:10:35 AM »

A Mash? Undecided

My high school Latin is a bit rusty, but wouldn't the singular of "Maharishi" be "Maharishum"?  Grin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: August 16, 2009, 09:06:22 AM »

A Mash? Undecided

My high school Latin is a bit rusty, but wouldn't the singular of "Maharishi" be "Maharishum"?  Grin

Never mind Latin, how's your Sanskrit ?  Grin

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: August 16, 2009, 12:32:58 PM »

Me llamo Popeye...I speak SPINACH~!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 16, 2009, 05:27:21 PM »

The question of what to call a large group of Maharishi (Maharishis? Maharishim?) seems to still be open. 

But I think we can all agree on this: if you do see a bunch of them coming towards you, tell a grown-up.  Also, it's probably best not to feed them.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 16, 2009, 05:31:44 PM »

Just don't tell me you're not supposed to get them wet. Please don't tell me that.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 16, 2009, 05:49:18 PM »

Just don't tell me you're not supposed to get them wet. Please don't tell me that.

LOL

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 16, 2009, 06:04:01 PM »

Isn't there only one at a time, like the Pope? Undecided

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: August 16, 2009, 09:52:09 PM »

No - anyone can call themselves Maharishi. Roughly translated it means "great seer", or "great one with awareness".

Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 16, 2009, 10:09:58 PM »

Really?  That's it?

Henceforth, you will all kindly address me as The Maharishi Surfer Joe.  At least until I need glasses.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: August 17, 2009, 12:47:59 AM »

Wow, I really would not have predicted the turn this topic has taken from the title.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 17, 2009, 09:19:24 PM »

(Indian accent): Indeed, a truly transcendental turn of events has transpired, cosmically
incomprehensible by virtue of its very incongruity....

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx