gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 05:10:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine Not Interested In A One-Off Beach Boys Reunion  (Read 37905 times)
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 17, 2009, 11:39:23 PM »

(Indian accent): Indeed, a truly transcendental turn of events has transpired, cosmically
incomprehensible by virtue of its very incongruity....

Peter Sellers would be so pround of you .... birdie yumyums ....
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 18, 2009, 03:20:38 AM »

Wow, I really would not have predicted the turn this topic has taken from the title.

To bring it back Eric, would Al be interested in a one off Beach Boy reunion with a Maharishi? Undecided
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 18, 2009, 06:05:13 AM »

Nobody's paying to see just one Maharishi these days, even if it's one hell of a Maharishi. Ya gotta think big.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 18, 2009, 06:14:46 AM »

I was listening to a Bob Dylan interview, and I agreed with him that the time for that kind of mysticism that was hip in the '60s is defintitely in the past. ...except for the middle aged folks that wake up one day and decide to convert to a 'peaceful' religion,  start eating vegan, and practicing yoga. haha Grin
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 18, 2009, 12:42:04 PM »

Wow, I really would not have predicted the turn this topic has taken from the title.

To bring it back Eric, would Al be interested in a one off Beach Boy reunion with a Maharishi? Undecided

The Maharishi is dead!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 18, 2009, 04:29:30 PM »

The Maharishi is dead!

So was Mr. T before he got that reality show.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 19, 2009, 07:22:57 AM »

I was listening to a Bob Dylan interview, and I agreed with him that the time for that kind of mysticism that was hip in the '60s is defintitely in the past. ...except for the middle aged folks that wake up one day and decide to convert to a 'peaceful' religion,  start eating vegan, and practicing yoga. haha Grin

Bob Dylan should have been in New Mexico on the 4th of July.  Hippie Mysticism was alive and well at the Rainbow Gathering.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 19, 2009, 11:50:14 AM »

Bob Dylan should have been in New Mexico on the 4th of July.  Hippie Mysticism was alive and well at the Rainbow Gathering.

Well good Lord; everyone knows all of us 'old hippies' live out our last days in New Mexico...
Preferably Taos; definitely up in Northern New Mexico.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 19, 2009, 01:26:19 PM »

What they need to do is revive the Beach Boys/Maharishi "Friends" tour!

They can re-book all the cancelled shows, but this time Mike can sub for the dearly departed Maharishi and perform the second half of the show lecture!!

Think Al would jump at this?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 19, 2009, 02:00:11 PM »

...Yeah. Off a bridge! Grin
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 19, 2009, 03:31:15 PM »

...Yeah. Off a bridge! Grin

Drum

boom boom  Cheesy

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 09, 2010, 07:45:05 AM »

Sorry guys, this was an old thread but I had not read the statement from Al before - he really made some legitimate points as far as I am concerned.  Of the three piecemeal BB bands out there now, Al always seemed to be the one that still genuinely liked to be out there performing the music.

Mike is making money, Brian seems like he tours and does albums just to keep busy so that he doesn't slide away into a mental chasm again.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: March 09, 2010, 04:22:39 PM »

Sorry guys, this was an old thread but I had not read the statement from Al before - he really made some legitimate points as far as I am concerned.  Of the three piecemeal BB bands out there now, Al always seemed to be the one that still genuinely liked to be out there performing the music.

Mike is making money, Brian seems like he tours and does albums just to keep busy so that he doesn't slide away into a mental chasm again.

FYI, in addition to the money, I can tell you that Mike is genuinely proud of The BBs' musical legacy, and proud to be perpetuating that legacy for live audiences year after year. 
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 31, 2010, 12:00:28 PM »

Bruce on a 50th get together; from the BBB:

Re(1): The Beach Boys will be on
Posted on March 26, 2010 at 04:04:58 PM by Bruce johnston

Hi Ian!
I occasionally take a look at BBB and I see that you recently posted about our upcoming appearance on Dancing With The Stars. I've never watched the show before but it seems to have a huge audience. As our touring season in the US is getting underway, I assume that our management has decided to put us in front of over 25 million viewers for three minutes and three seconds to remind people we're 'alive & well.' Not a bad idea......
Mike & Scott hooked "California Girls" "Kokomo" and "Fun Fun Fun' together for the show. John Stamos will join us on percussion, etc.
I love the idea that year after year I'm in a band that can go from performing a ton of hits to performing "Here Today" and "You Still Believe In Me" with various symphonies. We recently were in concert with the Houston Symphony.

One more thought: Hopefully we can reunite in a couple of years at least briefly with Brian, Al, and Dave for some music 'somewhere' (or at least dinner and great conversation!)...

Bruce Johnston
Montecito
March 26, 2010

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 01, 2010, 07:21:37 PM »

Maybe the dinner could be filmed for voracious fans such as us.  Maybe thats a good idea for an anniversary film....,   just a get together, interspersed with a full smogasboard of clips, new and familiar.........

Someone reiterated that the general public doesn't know who the individual Beach boys are.  Probably true.  Not exactly like John, Paul, Georgr and Ringo getting together.  So a reunion wouldn't have a broad impact unless heavily hyped and the public informed and educated in the advertising.

On the other hand, there are enough robust fans and extremists like us to sell out several high dollar reunion shows if carefully spread across the continent and a bit of England.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 01, 2010, 07:33:04 PM »

A dinner at the end of a TV show would be a nice, poignant end for the group. They could all watch clips of themselves(and maybe a special section for Dennis and Carl) when they were in their prime, and throughout the years. They could just watch themselves on a tv screen/theater big screen and just say to themselves "Damn, WE WERE GOOD!". It might make for a better ending than attempting a reunion concert.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 01, 2010, 07:46:49 PM »

2011 Labor Day, Fosters Freeze, Hawthorne, Informal parking lot gig.

I'm there! 
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 01, 2010, 09:04:34 PM »

Bruce is definitely singing a different tune now.

Previously, he said he wouldn't participate but be in the front row watching.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 11:43:15 AM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: April 02, 2010, 01:24:54 AM »

Bruce is definitely now singing a different tune now.

Previously, he said he wouldn't participate but be in the front row watching.
Both Bruce and Brian take after each other in this respect...we should be used to it by now.  One day they will passionately state one thing or another, but give them a week, a month, or half a year, and they will be saying something completely contradictory to their former statements.  They are human, just like any one of us, I guess.  Our opinions and preferences all change over time.  We just have the benefit of not being in the public eye.  I've learned to not take anything they say too seriously, because in 2 weeks, it could all be washed down the drain with a new statement or a new development.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx