gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 11:04:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: (In)famous Pop Bloopers - You Know One?  (Read 4939 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2009, 12:14:40 AM »

OK, there is the Decca A&R manager who dismissed the very young Beatles with the epochal remark: 'Guitars Are On The Way Out'.

Who said about the Beatles at the dawn of the '60s, when asked to become their producer: 'Nah, Just A Bunch Of Noise, Copying Other People's Music'?

If you know the answer, bring up a new one. If you don't, do so too....

Hope this works. I am fond of this kind of trivia.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 04:20:59 PM »

That guy who told Elvis to "stick to driving trucks"
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 08:55:29 AM »

I read in a recent goldmine about a couple of record companies that passed on the Beatles.  One a&r guy   or manager  with Tommy Roe turned down the Beatles when Tommy brought back some recordings the Beatles had given him in England. 

On a personal note, I recall seeing a picture of the Stones for the very first time in a newspapaer article of the latest Brit Invasion group.  My first impression was that they were unspeakably ugly and weird looking and would never make it.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 02:12:17 AM »

I read in a recent goldmine about a couple of record companies that passed on the Beatles.  One a&r guy   or manager  with Tommy Roe turned down the Beatles when Tommy brought back some recordings the Beatles had given him in England. 

On a personal note, I recall seeing a picture of the Stones for the very first time in a newspapaer article of the latest Brit Invasion group.  My first impression was that they were unspeakably ugly and weird looking and would never make it.

You were right re: the Stones, IMHO.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 01:23:57 PM »

Actually I later learned that they DID make it. LOL
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 12:01:37 PM »

Someone once told I'd never become a big rockstar.... I'm still trying to prove him wrong.....  Embarrassed

No really, I guess every band has heard that they'll never make it. Some just did make it, but most didn't. Fogerty was told by some guy to be quiet when he played an early version of "Born on the bayou" at a rehearsal.

Johnny Cash told Roy Orbison in the beginning he shouldn't sing that high if he wanna be succesful.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 05:47:08 PM »

Would the Lovester's RnR Hall of Fame speech count as a blooper?!! LOL LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 11:58:48 PM »

Hmmm... no. It was a well-meant and serious incentive to all other pop greats to put in a lot more effort. Pop was in a state of rigor mortis then, and Mike Love was the only one courageous enough to address the matter. Without the Lovester, the world would have returned to the Charleston, the Foxtrot, and the Quickstep. Mike Love singlehandedly saved rock music, aside from his invention of the internet.

He's our own Homo universalis.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 08:51:47 AM »

Hmmm... no. It was a well-meant and serious incentive to all other pop greats to put in a lot more effort. Pop was in a state of rigor mortis then, and Mike Love was the only one courageous enough to address the matter. Without the Lovester, the world would have returned to the Charleston, the Foxtrot, and the Quickstep. Mike Love singlehandedly saved rock music, aside from his invention of the internet.

I thought he was just calling a bunch of rock stars to a fight!! LOL LOL LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

Jason
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 10:28:17 PM »

Michael invented the interwebs? Don't tell Al Gore. Smiley
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 08:21:59 AM »

Another blooper: Jimi Hendrix opening for the Monkees!! Though I would have loved to see one of those shows.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 09:14:03 AM »

Johnny Cash told Roy Orbison in the beginning he shouldn't sing that high if he wanna be succesful.

IIRC, he also said he should change his name, because no-one would remember 'Orbison'  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 10:19:31 AM »

Another "blooper" : Everyone who tried following Jerry Lee Lewis on stage in the 50s and 60s.

Oh, and what about Sinatra's comments on Rock'n'Roll and it's fans....?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx