gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:54:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Beach Boys: The Definitive Diary of America's Greatest Band on Stage and in the Studio
5 - 10 (33.3%)
4 - 13 (43.3%)
3 - 4 (13.3%)
2 - 2 (6.7%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 1 (3.3%)
Total Voters: 25

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys: The Definitive Diary of America's Greatest Band on Stage and in  (Read 34811 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2007, 04:55:19 AM »

Yeah that I know.  The space on the contracts where you're supposed to write them has been whited out in my copy.

Congratulations, sir - you are the very first person I've come across with one of the 'amended' copies ! I would suspect that yours is far, far rarer than any copy with the SS numbers included.
The copies with the whited-out SS numbers and marked "first edition" are the only ones I've seen in the stores for about the last two years.

I'll grant that two bookstores in northern Delaware may not be a representative sampling, but I've never seen a 'whited' copy there.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2007, 08:32:54 AM »

got mine from amazon last fall and it has no SS numbers listed....

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2007, 08:35:48 AM »

I got mine for Christmas and it includes the SS numbers.  I think it was purchased through Amazon.
Wilsonista
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2007, 09:04:18 AM »

The new sitcom "Knights of Prosperity" (where Joe Blows try and rob celebrities) would have a field day with the Badman fiasco, if it was known outside of BB fandom that is.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2008, 09:05:53 AM »

I have an SSN whited out copy that was published in 2004.

My biggest problem with this book are the little things.  It's really annoying how almost all the names of the college towns where the band played are wrong.  Michigan State is in East Lansing and there is no such town called Notre Dame, Indiana and those are the two I can think of off the top of my head.  I know he isn't from the U.S but you would think someone down the line would have caught stuff like that.  Also one thing that bothers me is there is no real index, this book is a good reference but I wanted to look up something I thought I had read in it the other day and I had to search all through the thing.

So aside from those a little annoying errors overall it is a pretty cool book.  Nothing else like it exists in the BB catalog of books and it was an easy read and a good reference material, also there are good pictures. Thus, I would recommend it.

Lady
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2009, 03:17:06 AM »

A fantastic book!

If you want to know what the BB were up to at any given point in time, you can just open this book and you’ll know.  Aside from the relatively few inaccuracies that are consistently pointed out, I think this book should more aptly be called an encyclopedia for all the correct information it does in fact contain.

This book lays the foundation of information for BB super fans to build upon.  One of the BB books you definitely must own.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2009, 09:29:11 AM »

Without getting into a whole conversation-let me just say this...three years ago I bought the book and thought it was fantastic. Being a historian, I began checking old papers just for fun-I soon discovered to my chagrin that the book was literally riddled with inaccurate data-from wrong dates of shows, to wrong venues, to shows listed as 1966 that were 1965, etc....I became friends with AGD-an esteemed poster at all the BB boards and together we created a section at his website called tours/sessions (http://www.btinternet.com/~bellagio/gigs.html)...For each year-compare the dates to Badman's book and you'll see all the problems....for every change and I do mean every change-I possess either the original concert ad or a review. We also added hundreds of shows not listed by him.....So, it is a really nicely designed book with tons of cool stuff in it....but when it comes to dates and exact accuracy....not really.   I couldn't do what I did without his book as a starting point...but I am less and less impressed by his research methods everyday.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2009, 05:01:55 PM »

I will never read this book just because of all the bad things I've heard on this site and others.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2009, 07:52:40 PM »

I will never read this book just because of all the bad things I've heard on this site and others.

I think it's worth having... firstly it has some excellent photos and AFM sheets... but most importantly, I think it's really valuable for those people who don't have every article on the band, every concert review, every album review etc.. that's what I like about the book. It goes through and has quotes and reviews that I don't own elsewhere. I mean honestly, if I read a really cool quote from Carl and Badman says the interview was done in 1974 yet it was really done in 1973, while that is annoying I don't think it matters THAT much... I mean I still got enjoyment out of reading the quote.

I'm not downplaying Ian's research because I (and probably just about everyone who is crazy enough to post on a message board like this) really do appreciate his and AGD's work, and of course C-man's research and just anyone who can uncover what really happened is doing us all a service. But my point is, I just think this book gets a bit of unfair scrutiny.. yes, criticize it for having so many incorrect dates and missed shows etc.. BUT at the same time isn't the most important thing the content? I mean I hear people say "I don't care that Heroes And Villains has so many errors, I like reading it"... well shouldn't it be the same for this book? It is still an enjoyable read, but you just have to keep in mind that there are mistakes (just like EVERY book)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2009, 08:18:27 PM »

I one hundred percent agree with you-it is worth buying for the content...tons of great info from NME, Disc & music Echo, etc-which would cost quite a bit to collect on your own (and I should know because I have....)-so ignore the date errors and buy it...the most lavish and full Beach Boy book that is likely to be published in the forseeable future...Honestly...it bothers me that they weren't in Fort Wayne when he says that they were...but I don't think many non-fanatics are losing sleep over the errors...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2009, 11:05:04 AM »

I think it's worth having... firstly it has some excellent photos and AFM sheets... but most importantly, I think it's really valuable for those people who don't have every article on the band, every concert review, every album review etc.. that's what I like about the book. It goes through and has quotes and reviews that I don't own elsewhere. I mean honestly, if I read a really cool quote from Carl and Badman says the interview was done in 1974 yet it was really done in 1973, while that is annoying I don't think it matters THAT much... I mean I still got enjoyment out of reading the quote.

I'm not downplaying Ian's research because I (and probably just about everyone who is crazy enough to post on a message board like this) really do appreciate his and AGD's work, and of course C-man's research and just anyone who can uncover what really happened is doing us all a service. But my point is, I just think this book gets a bit of unfair scrutiny.. yes, criticize it for having so many incorrect dates and missed shows etc.. BUT at the same time isn't the most important thing the content? I mean I hear people say "I don't care that Heroes And Villains has so many errors, I like reading it"... well shouldn't it be the same for this book? It is still an enjoyable read, but you just have to keep in mind that there are mistakes (just like EVERY book)

My problems with the book are...

1 - the inaccuracies and misreadings of AFM sheets...

2 - the uncredited use of other authors work and research: at a rough estimate about 30% of the text is not Badman's...

3 - the printing of the SS numbers of living persons.

Paulos
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2009, 05:10:03 AM »

I got this book last week off ebay for the very reasonable price of £7.50 and I am enjoying reading it in spite off all the errors. What bothers me isn't just the factual errors but the printing errors, eg titles that should be in bold or italic suddenly change to normal text etc, does no-one employ proof readers anymore?
Paulos
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2009, 09:29:41 AM »

I have now finished this book and must say that it is a great example of a good idea poorly executed. The errors just become incredibly irritating after a while (I wasn't very far into the book when I made my first post) and the contradictions that occur, sometimes on the same page, are just unacceptable.

Another thing I cannot understand is why all the years up to and including 1976 are very detailed and then he just kind of gives in from 1977 onwards and gives brief overviews, some of which are terrible. I mean for the 1998 entry he doesn't even mention Endless Harmony! I feel like their are a lot of people on this board and the SDV2 board who could have done a far, far better job than Badman.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2009, 01:50:34 AM »

Another thing I cannot understand is why all the years up to and including 1976 are very detailed and then he just kind of gives in from 1977 onwards and gives brief overviews, some of which are terrible. I mean for the 1998 entry he doesn't even mention Endless Harmony! I feel like their are a lot of people on this board and the SDV2 board who could have done a far, far better job than Badman.

What Badman & his researchers actually did post-1976 was to pull info from my timeline and reprint it almost verbatim, mostly.

And yes, my 1998 page does mention Endless HarmonyGrin

Paulos
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2009, 04:48:36 AM »

Sue them Andrew! I do wish you and John had done this book instead of Badman as then it would be a vital reference for any BB/BW fan, instead it's merely nice to have.
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2009, 06:54:07 AM »

My problems with the book are...

1 - the inaccuracies and misreadings of AFM sheets...

2 - the uncredited use of other authors work and research: at a rough estimate about 30% of the text is not Badman's...

3 - the printing of the SS numbers of living persons.

Hi, I'm Brian. I'm Al. I'm Bruce. And I'm Mike. We're the Beach Boys!  We're here to prove just how safe your identity would be with Lifelock. Have you read Keith Badman's book? Those are our real social security numbers on many of those pages.   LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXANhTH_oSo
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 06:56:15 AM by Ganz Allein » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2012, 11:26:23 AM »

A great, fantastically designed and superbly laid-out book. This book has helped me track down numerous unreleased tracks... 'Telephone Backgrounds On A Clear Day'. Man, I gotta hear that before i die!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2013, 11:31:29 AM »

Can we make a list of mistakes made by this book ? I was telling someone about the many mistakes but couldn't remember what they were

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2013, 03:03:54 PM »

I got this as a Christmas present and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I can accept the criticisms listed here as valid, but for me, I appreciate the information on the early Warners years from late 1969 to 1973. The Pet Sounds/SMiLE research was good too but I've read plenty of information on that period elsewhere!

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2013, 10:39:47 PM »

Can we make a list of mistakes made by this book ? I was telling someone about the many mistakes but couldn't remember what they were

Although it might be more practical to list the information that is correct Grin

A good place to start would be at Bellagio 10452 where the mistakes in Badman's book are noted.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
PrayForSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

Pray For Surf is blogged by Phil Miglioratti

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2015, 02:58:47 PM »

Coming Soon ~

NEW Beach Boys Book • New Podcast with the author

The Book  ~  They were almost The Pendletones—after the Pendleton wool shirts favored on chilly nights at the beach—then The Surfers, before being named The Beach Boys. But what separated them from every other teenage garage band with no musical training? They had raw talent, persistence and a wellspring of creativity that launched them on a legendary career now in its sixth decade.

Following the musical vision of Brian Wilson, the Beach Boys blended ethereal vocal harmonies, searing electric guitars and lush arrangements into one of the most distinctive sounds in the history of popular music. Drawing on original interviews and newly uncovered documents, this book untangles the band’s convoluted early history and tells the story of how five boys from California formed America’s greatest rock ’n’ roll band.
The Author ~ James B. Murphy is a companion animal veterinarian in Washington, D.C. He lives in Bowie, Maryland. 

COMING SOON!
Exclusive live interview with James B. Murphy

Phil Miglioratti and Jim Murphy discuss his lifelong love of the Beach Boys and his almost decade long research and writing that have resulted in one of the most thoroughly documented books on the critical people, places, and events in the launching and stardom of American's favorite band.

Sample question  ~  Twenty-four chronological chapters, a nineteen page Coda devoted to examining the Hite Morgan Tapes, a dozen Appendices (including the floor plan of CANDIX Enterprises!), twenty-one pages of chapter footnotes (a whopping total of 1005 to be exact) five pages of bibliography (including Hawthorne High yearbooks plus audio-radio-video programs) and an exhaustive Index, all adding up to 422 pages of bordering on fine print sized font lettering! ...   Jim, describe your process of finding source material, identifying eye-witness or real-time persons to interview and how you found them. It looks to me that this back-story may be almost as interesting as the insights you gleaned from the people and the archival material.

http://prayforsurfblog.blogspot.com/2015/08/new-beach-boys-book-new-podcast-with.html

• 200+ rare Beach Boys videos @ www.YouTube.com/BB45s • Visit www.PrayForSurf.net

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx