gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:28:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Let Him Run Wild  (Read 22967 times)
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2013, 11:36:00 AM »

Hmmm ... doesn't really sound that way to me. There's something ... "slurry-er" in there which doesn't really sound like an electric guitar. Unless one of the players is doing something different with his/her playing.
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2013, 03:52:42 PM »

RE: some of the comments concerning SLC and it's crummy lyrics (which I completely agree with) - why'nt somebody write some new lyrics to it?  Some of you music makers on here are purdy good, so give this a try, consider it your Smiley Smile dot net home work.  Then you could share a writing credit with BW (not a bad deal, eh?).
Anyway, back to LHRW - awesome song and generally good advice.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2013, 04:09:01 PM »

Hmmm ... doesn't really sound that way to me. There's something ... "slurry-er" in there which doesn't really sound like an electric guitar. Unless one of the players is doing something different with his/her playing.

Only thing I can think of would be an organ with a predominant guitar, maybe? There are takes on the UM set that may shed some light on the matter, but posting from my phone at the mo.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2013, 04:21:25 PM »

Also, there's something nifty-sounding that plays simultaneously with the word "Guess you know I ..." Not sure if it's the same intrument(s) or not, maybe-kinda sounds like the same but I'm not sure, but it would be interesting to know.
I think if we figure out what this is we can figure out what the other instrument is, because the more I listen to the Stack O Tracks track, the more it sounds like the same instrument.

It makes a sort-of vibrating slur sound. Some keyboard with a weird effect??
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2013, 04:25:17 PM »

Also, do I hear a harpsichord buried in there, I Get Around-style? In the line "And now before he tries it ..." and the corresponding verse later in the song.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2013, 05:28:43 PM »

What you are hearing is guitar.  What is interesting about it is the treatment of it.  It seems to me that they did something unique with the reverb--in fact the reverb may have been split somehow.  If you play around with the backing track and do some OOPSing and balancing, it seems that the guitar feed might have been sent to the "main" reverb, but also to either an EMT plate or even a spring reverb, and that return was sent to another track.  It's very metallic, and really lags behind the dry signal.  Another really cool effect that we will truly never know how exactly it was achieved.  There is some natural chorusing because two guitars are playing the line.  I suppose there could be some light amp tremolo on there too.

There is no harpsichord or organ on the track, either.  There are two keyboards, a piano, and what sounds to me to be a Wurlitzer electric piano that really only plays during the choruses, hammering chords.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 04, 2013, 06:07:41 PM »

Thanks! Was starting to wonder if it might be some engineering trick.

As for the other line, might not be a harpsichord, but something "hard" does kick in at that spot. If you've got headphones listening to the stereo version, it's in the right side. Almost sounds like it could also be a tambourine, played far away from a mic. Or something like that. Whatever it is, it sounds "hard" - maybe it's the Wurlitzer. This one isn't a big deal though, was mostly wondering about the other one.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2013, 08:21:08 PM »

There is some natural chorusing because two guitars are playing the line. 

Yeah, seems pretty obvious to my ears. It is similar to the guitar effect on California Girls.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2013, 08:57:14 PM »

Thanks! Was starting to wonder if it might be some engineering trick.

As for the other line, might not be a harpsichord, but something "hard" does kick in at that spot. If you've got headphones listening to the stereo version, it's in the right side. Almost sounds like it could also be a tambourine, played far away from a mic. Or something like that. Whatever it is, it sounds "hard" - maybe it's the Wurlitzer. This one isn't a big deal though, was mostly wondering about the other one.

What spot are you talking about, now?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 04, 2013, 09:03:58 PM »

Upon further listening, I think what they did is sent the two lead guitars to different reverbs, one guitar maybe to chamber and the other one to the spring or plate.  But then they brought the returns back from each to the same track, which is a different track than the one they printed the "dry" or should I say drier guitars on.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 04, 2013, 09:53:53 PM »

The one I thought might have a harpsichord in it, mentioned above (repeated below). No big deal.
Also, do I hear a harpsichord buried in there, I Get Around-style? In the line "And now before he tries it ..." and the corresponding verse later in the song.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 09:55:01 PM by SMiLE-addict » Logged
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 04, 2013, 09:55:27 PM »

The one I thought might have a harpsichord in it, mentioned above. No big deal.

Are you talking about the chordal instrument that comes in at that point?  That's a trebley acoustic guitar.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 04, 2013, 09:56:54 PM »

BTW, I don't know anything beyond basic stuff for this engineering stuff (even though my father did a fair amount of it himself!), so pardon what may seem to be beginner questions.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 04, 2013, 10:05:34 PM »

Hmmm, I guess it could be an acoustic guitar, though to me it still sounds more like pounding on a keyboard. But I suppose it's hard to tell. If it *is* an acoustic guitar that would explain why I thought it maybe sounded like a harpsichord (plucking - or strumming - strings). It first kicks in about 17-18 seconds into the song.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2013, 07:01:18 AM »

It's an acoustic guitar, no doubt.

If memory serves, lhrw is a track for which no AFM sheet has circulated, so we don't have the luxury of having an idea who was paid for the session, so it's harder to sort of mathematically eliminate different possibilities.  Nevertheless, the session out takes confirm that it's a guitar, and that there's no harpsichord on the track.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 05, 2013, 04:27:19 PM »

Wow, that is a crazy guitar sound. I always thought it was vibraphones.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 05, 2013, 04:50:05 PM »

Wow, that is a crazy guitar sound. I always thought it was vibraphones.

There's a vibraphone on LHRW also.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: February 05, 2013, 06:56:45 PM »

I noticed in these threads when we're all listening, trying to pick out instruments ... I think maybe people are discounting the influence and power of the echos/reverbs and the tape sound on these tracks. Certain phasing effects are inevitable on multi-track tape recorders, which is even more pronounced after going through a couple generations. If you print some of the echo to tape on one track, combined with room bleed and maybe another echo on an adjacent track ... it will become a subtle 'effect' in and of itself. Not to mention maybe a reverb going back through a chamber again. Brian's most important instrument until Wild Honey !

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 05, 2013, 08:34:51 PM »

Not to be pedantic, but the verse chords are e-flat minor 7 to a-flat minor 7, then d-flat (still) minor 7 to g-flat 7.

But it's sooo much easier on the wrist to just slap a capo on the first fret and play it as open Em7, Am7, Dm7, and G7.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 06, 2013, 02:43:19 PM »

Perfect song - amazing backing track and stunning vocals!  Better than several on PS.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2013, 02:14:08 PM »

Does anyone know what month(s) this song was recorded?

An inquiring mind needs to know!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2013, 02:16:37 PM »

AGD's website has the info
http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2013, 02:18:19 PM »

June/July, at least according to the Wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_Him_Run_Wild

SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2013, 02:50:01 PM »

Thanks! Somehow I missed the Wiki article on it.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2013, 04:15:28 PM »

Thanks! Somehow I missed the Wiki article on it.

I only got it back on Wikipedia a few days ago so if you searched for it prior to then, you wouldn't have found it. There's a possibility Google hasn't archived the revived article yet as well.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx