gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 08:01:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why a reunion won't happen.....  (Read 35544 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 29, 2009, 03:33:01 PM »

Haha, well, we'll have to have this discussion out of court and off the record. I certainly am not throwing my hat back in this ring. In fact, I don't think I'll be posting here anymore at all. My opinions on a couple of key topics are of such a minority, I feel I'd be better off claiming the earth is flat!  Tongue

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 29, 2009, 03:34:56 PM »

Haha, well, we'll have to have this discussion out of court and off the record. I certainly am not throwing my hat back in this ring. In fact, I don't think I'll be posting here anymore at all. My opinions on a couple of key topics are of such a minority, I feel I'd be better off claiming the earth is flat!  Tongue

No, no, no. Your opinions are appreciated; we need different views on different topics. Take a couple of days off and come back ready to post!
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 29, 2009, 03:52:37 PM »

Please don't leave on my account.  And I never objected to your views at all, I was just joined the thread by attempting to make the point that the other view is not a myth or the result of lazy thinking or hero-worship.  And I got much too acid at some point, and I apologize for that- a lapse in manners on my part.  Your opinions are quite reasonable, whether or not I agree, or anyone else does or doesn't.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 29, 2009, 04:12:50 PM »

I appreciate the kind words, guys. As usual The Sherrif has it right!

I think I'll plop the neddle down on side one of my vinyl copy of Summer In Paradise, get out a lawnchair, put it on my deck, watch a few sunsets, then wander on back at some point.  Razz
Jason
« Reply #179 on: July 29, 2009, 10:29:40 PM »

I am said moderator who also perpetuates the not-really-a-myth-but-more-so-an-OBJECTIVE viewpoint. Said viewpoint, while not exactly taxing to say or even postulate, is one that will get you bitchslapped by the legions of Brianistas everywhere. Not to take anything away from Brian (and I have never made an attempt to do so despite the man's sickening sociopathic tendencies), but, I've said it before and again - Brian Wilson is not The Beach Boys. The Beach Boys are The Beach Boys. One man is not a band. We have to take the whole package, not the 1961-67 work. We could very much argue that Dennis was The Beach Boys when Brian took two thousand steps back, a lot of cocaine, heroin, birthday cake, T-bones, et cetera.

Just for shits and giggles, of course.

Brian helped them reach where they ended up, and in the end, the party was over for them all. So we could very much argue that Brian was also the man who destroyed The Beach Boys. Now there are three factions within the band, innumerable factions of misled and misguided fans stinking up the forums, and one or two odd voices of a little thing called reason that are pretty much ignored by "those who know better".

Erik, I salute you.

And I do find it funny that McCabe basically copied my personal text and threw a shitty picture of David Leaf on his avatar (a far more offensive figure than Michael could ever be) in what is obviously a cheap game of copycat which five year olds play. He didn't, however, make an attempt to copy my little personal salute, which would probably do better for him.  But I would hate to be thought of as making SUBJECTIVE statements. Smiley

Truth in advertising and all that. But, that would give McCabe something in common with Michael. Hopefully, Erik, this will give you an insight as to the kind of people you deal with in the Brianista community.

Welcome to the board, brother. Hold your head up high and keep the faith.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 30, 2009, 02:13:28 AM »

Well, I say Ricky Fataar is the Beach Boys.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 30, 2009, 02:28:20 AM »

No. John Stamos is.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 30, 2009, 05:01:03 AM »

No. John Stamos is.

You're all crazy. It's Murry - He's a genius too...

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 30, 2009, 05:10:49 AM »

No. John Stamos is.

Yes.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: July 30, 2009, 05:48:27 AM »

There are a large number of reasons why some kind of reunion will happen in fall 2011, and every last one is prefaced with a

$
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 05:52:20 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: July 30, 2009, 07:34:32 AM »

And I think Mike's nasal/talk-sing thing WAS an innovation! And to claim something as an innovation doesn't exactly qualify it as something genius to be exaulted to high heaven like every single thing Brian's ever done. But it WAS different and made the Beach Boys stand out in a simple way! Aside from all the other points that made them stand out.

People really do have a hard time getting their heads around collaboration!

I really agree with you when you say that Brian Wilson alone is not the Beach Boys.  The only thing I would point out is that if you look at each member's significance in the formation and growth of the group, BW has the biggest slice by far.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 30, 2009, 07:46:54 AM »

There are a large number of reasons why some kind of reunion will happen in fall 2011, and every last one is prefaced with a

$

That really doesn't bother me. I'll be happy to see them, even if it is just for some extra cash.
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: July 30, 2009, 10:16:07 AM »

$

That really doesn't bother me. I'll be happy to see them, even if it is just for some extra cash.

Yep, same. I will be more than happy to fly to LA, or wherever the reunion takes place to catch them all onstage together for the occasion.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 30, 2009, 10:24:58 AM »

No. John Stamos is.

It's Al! He's the one that asked Brian to start a musical group!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Quincy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 30, 2009, 10:58:49 AM »

The Four Freshmen
SG7
« Reply #190 on: July 30, 2009, 11:33:38 AM »

I'd prefer a reunion of Cap'n Geech & the Shrimp Shack Shooters more personally.

LOL LOL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 30, 2009, 01:04:57 PM »

[quote author=.
And I do find it funny that McCabe basically copied my personal text and threw a shitty picture of David Leaf on his avatar (a far more offensive figure than Michael could ever be) in what is obviously a cheap game of copycat which five year olds play. He didn't, however, make an attempt to copy my little personal salute, which would probably do better for him.  But I would hate to be thought of as making SUBJECTIVE statements. Smiley
[/quote]

All I'll say is that having a picture of David Leaf up there smirking at us will lead no conversation down the path of reason!!

And I didn't even know what the man looked like until right now!!!

Guess Audree was right about them vibrations!!!!!

This is all in good fun!

Side two of Summer In Paradise just ended and as soon as the nausea subsides I'll wander on back.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 30, 2009, 01:34:46 PM »

Oh, THAT's Mr. David Leaf, the mastermind of all Brianistas? Godamn, it figures...  LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: July 30, 2009, 02:27:14 PM »

I am said moderator who also perpetuates the not-really-a-myth-but-more-so-an-OBJECTIVE viewpoint. Said viewpoint, while not exactly taxing to say or even postulate, is one that will get you bitchslapped by the legions of Brianistas everywhere. Not to take anything away from Brian (and I have never made an attempt to do so despite the man's sickening sociopathic tendencies), but, I've said it before and again - Brian Wilson is not The Beach Boys. The Beach Boys are The Beach Boys. One man is not a band. We have to take the whole package, not the 1961-67 work. We could very much argue that Dennis was The Beach Boys when Brian took two thousand steps back, a lot of cocaine, heroin, birthday cake, T-bones, et cetera.

Just for shits and giggles, of course.

Brian helped them reach where they ended up, and in the end, the party was over for them all. So we could very much argue that Brian was also the man who destroyed The Beach Boys. Now there are three factions within the band, innumerable factions of misled and misguided fans stinking up the forums, and one or two odd voices of a little thing called reason that are pretty much ignored by "those who know better".

Erik, I salute you.

Truth in advertising and all that. But, that would give McCabe something in common with Michael. Hopefully, Erik, this will give you an insight as to the kind of people you deal with in the Brianista community.

Welcome to the board, brother. Hold your head up high and keep the faith.

I personally think you summed up the whole subject the best. I totally agree, sometimes I dont like to share my opinions for fear of getting ran off here though, I'll be honest.

"And If you knew how much I love you baby, Nothing could go wrong with you"

www.myspace.com/beachboys4ever [my Beach Boys fanpage]
www.myspace.com/foxybritny [personal page]
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 30, 2009, 02:28:50 PM »

Eh, dont worry about that Little Surfer Girl! Feel free to bring it!!! Nice tribute page by the way
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 30, 2009, 02:55:18 PM »

I really agree with you when you say that Brian Wilson alone is not the Beach Boys.  The only thing I would point out is that if you look at each member's significance in the formation and growth of the group, BW has the biggest slice by far.
[/quote]

And I agree completely!!!!

This is why I tried to stress that I am ONLY talking about that intitial stew of ingrediants being tossesd in the pot and cooked up back in 1961, that's it!

And I guess I wouldn't feel so strongly about this if I didn't feel that the whole "Brian invented/created and is responsible for all things Beach Boys" ... opinion, has had a harmful effect on too many people who didn't deserve it, and I think it's the root of all the BBs subsequent problems. I think it really hurt people like Carl, Dennis, Al, and Mike. People who, if they hadn't been there, Brian would perhaps still be pounding out "feels" in a garage somewhere. Perhaps not! But we just can't say.

I think it's also hurt the Beach Boys perception in the history book for all time to come. And it's the same reason why the Beach Boys aren't universally held in the same regard as The Beatles.

Yes, these are just my opinions and are arguable. But I do feel strongly about them because I care.

My mom knew Dennis and was fond of him, so I kinda feel like I'm defending a family friend sometimes.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 30, 2009, 03:00:38 PM »

Jesus Christ. Quoting.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 30, 2009, 03:24:59 PM »

"Jesus Christ. Quoting."

Smiley

Honk! Honk!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 30, 2009, 03:30:08 PM »

Jesus Christ. Quoting.

Well, it is rocket science, I suppose.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 30, 2009, 03:46:17 PM »

I'll throw in a quote for you:

"Brian Wilson is the Beach Boys.  We're just his messengers."

-Dennis Wilson-

Grin

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Up Print