gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 12:23:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis' I've Got a Friend  (Read 4016 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2009, 07:38:12 AM »

I was listening to this the other day, wondering, is this the only recording of this? Have any demos surfaced?

Will it ever be cleaned up for release as an early Dennis solo comp, as the rise in Dennis solo era continues?
with the success of POB/Bambu and all

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 07:53:35 AM »

I was listening to this the other day, wondering, is this the only recording of this? Have any demos surfaced?

Will it ever be cleaned up for release as an early Dennis solo comp, as the rise in Dennis solo era continues?
with the success of POB/Bambu and all

I have 2 live recordings of it...the crappy sounding version from the Radio Luxembourg broadcast and an audience recording of a 1971 live show in Long Beach (the same show where Brian and Jack Reiley come out to do "Tree"!!).

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 08:01:21 AM »

A studio-recording does exist, but as far as I know only as an instrumental track.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 09:06:02 AM »

I wouldn't mind if they took the instrumental track and added a David Marks lead vocal and maybe some harmonies by Brian, Mike, Al and Bruce.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Sciencefriction
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 10:25:01 AM »

It would be nice to hear the instrumental, and a good quality live version if a better recording exists in the vaults.  It feels like it's about time to hear something new from the Dennis camp, any chance we'll see anything in the near future?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 10:43:11 AM »

The instrumental track is pure Dennis, circa 1971/2. Outstanding.

Annnd... I think Taylor Hawkins could do it justice.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 11:02:25 AM »

good call AGD   Grin

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 12:37:44 PM »

If this whole "turning Dennis instrumentals into releasable songs with vocals" thing becomes a regular thing, I'd much rather someone more connected with the Beach Boys, like David Marks or Christian Love be singing the leads instead of Taylor Hawkins. I liked the way he sang on Holy Man, though.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 01:08:58 PM »

If this whole "turning Dennis instrumentals into releasable songs with vocals" thing becomes a regular thing, I'd much rather someone more connected with the Beach Boys, like David Marks or Christian Love be singing the leads instead of Taylor Hawkins. I liked the way he sang on Holy Man, though.

What about his own son Carl?  Haven't enough people heard his version of "Forever", with his Uncle Brian, to understand the justice he could do to these instrumental tracks?  I know Jon was suggesting him for "Holy Man", but Gregg got his way with Taylor - who I agree did do an admirable job with the song.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 01:11:24 PM »

What about his own son Carl?  Haven't enough people heard his version of "Forever", with his Uncle Brian, to understand the justice he could do to these instrumental tracks?

Never heard "orever" by him. Where can one listen to that? Sounds interesting

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 01:46:20 PM »

Stamos anyone?Huh?

I'm not actually kidding!!!!

I met him once and thanked him for being a big Beach Boys fan and he gave me his card and wanted to trade BBs stuff and be "Beach Boys friends"

Good man!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 06:04:34 PM »

Did Brian perform Forever with Carl at the BW Tribute (also performing Do it Again as well)...or is that Justyn?

Speaking of the BW tribute, that whole thing NEEDS released!!! I mean, people performing Pet Sounds songs other than BW, that's a rarity...was any of it recorded?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 07:42:53 PM »

That was Justyn, not Carl.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 03:18:32 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 07:42:13 AM »

When I was at WILSON restaurant last year for the release party, it was kind of weird standing on the patio with Carl B. Wilson and Justyn Wilson when Taylor Hawkins version of "Holy Man" came over the speakers… A bit surreal. I've always felt — even though Taylor did a beautiful job — that Carl B. should have been involved on that recording.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 09:51:51 AM »

Maybe part of the idea of having Taylor on there was that he is known by a younger crowd, and people may have picked up the Dennis album because of Taylor and then been turned onto the Dennis tracks.

When I was at WILSON restaurant last year for the release party, it was kind of weird standing on the patio with Carl B. Wilson and Justyn Wilson when Taylor Hawkins version of "Holy Man" came over the speakers… A bit surreal. I've always felt — even though Taylor did a beautiful job — that Carl B. should have been involved on that recording.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 11:26:27 AM »

There was never any kind of marketing strategy regarding Taylor and Holy Man. Using him was an experiment that worked. I was there as this thing was being  mixed, the non-vocal version was definitely going to be included...no question. Gregg had written new lyrics and he wanted try somebody out on a lead vocal, it was almost an afterthought, but Gregg was very into the idea of at least trying it...and Hanlon and Jimmy G. went along. Several names were thrown around in conversation,Carl B., David Marks, Brian, Al...even Neil Young because of Hanlon's relationship with him...it was all just talk...none of them were contacted...it never got to the serious point because of what happened next. Gregg was real close with Taylor and suggested bringing him in to take first crack at it. Taylor reworked Gregg's lyrics until they fit. There was still no solid plan to include it until everybody heard the results after Hanlon rough mixed it with the vocal. We all thought Taylor's vocal sounded so great, like it was meant to be... and it actually improved the song compared to the no-vocal mix...so it was included. That was that.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 12:39:33 PM »

I'm no Foo Fighters fan, but I think Taylor was a perfect choice, being a drummer n all! It's also nice to see another drummer respecting Dennis!

As I've said before, In my book, Dennis (along with Ringo) invented rock drumming as we know it!

I could elaborate, but I don't want to put everyone to sleep.  Razz
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 03:20:19 PM »

Carl B. has expressed interest in laying down a vocal for the track.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 03:56:08 PM »

Stamos anyone?Huh?

Moderators?  Do your duty.

LOL

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 03:58:49 PM »

I've always wondered something about this song - does anyone have the lyrics for it?
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 03:45:41 AM »

Stamos anyone?Huh?

Moderators?  Do your duty.

LOL

LOL

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 07:56:56 AM »

while we are at it... how about Jasper Dailey's songs...?

Brian originals from the classic "artsy" period but I'm told with awful vocals....
let Al or Mike or somebody who can sing have a go at them.....

Roll Eyes

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2009, 09:07:48 PM »

i dont think there's enough interest in those particular tracks except a handful...I mean, how do you promote those?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2009, 05:56:17 AM »

I could see them being put out as part of a Smile boxset.... Not sure about redoing vocals. Maybe they'd just put the tracks on there

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2009, 07:56:01 AM »

agreed

But think about it...it's like if they included the early experimental tracks on the PS boxed set (i.e. How Deep is the Ocean?, Three Blind Mice, Stella By Starlight)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 07:57:51 AM by punkinhead » Logged

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx