gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680817 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 12:11:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A whole friggin' bunch of my songs.  (Read 6653 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2009, 07:29:30 PM »

I recently put together a very large (43 songs, about 114MB) zip of songs I recorded from 2006-2009. Since it exists, what the foder. If you want them, here they are. Hope you find something to enjoy.

EDIT: Killed old, dead link. See bottom of thread for new info. It is now 69 songs, 180 or so MB.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 04:29:56 PM by Luther » Logged

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 07:29:57 PM »

Oh, and I obviously didn't title this thread with "friggin'"!

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 11:45:18 PM »

I can vouch for the enjoyable-ness of these songs!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
The Favourite Colours
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 05:56:04 PM »

Thanks for sharing this with us.  I don't think I've ever gotten this much legitimately good music for free.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 06:06:37 PM »

Thanks a lot.

Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 04:46:16 PM »

I think My Old Girlfriend is a really fun and great song! It's my favourite  Grin

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 04:48:45 PM »

Thanks, and I'm glad you like it! When I was writing it, I was thinking of it as a slower, nylon-string guitar based tune more along the lines of Queen's "Who Needs You," but it obviously mutated. And it is a literal, true song. But nobody believes me!  LOL

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 06:30:19 PM »

Luther you got serious chops, thanks for sharing.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 06:33:11 PM »

Hmm, I don't know if "chops" are what I have, since I'm kind of a lazy slacker from every technical perspective! But thanks very much and I hope you enjoy the tunes. (The drummer on most of the tunes definitely has chops, though. Bill the Drummer. He's amazing.)

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 02:07:22 PM »

Luther, it occurs to me that you would do a great cover of "Alone Again Or" by Love.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 03:30:22 PM »

Thanks, but unfortunately I don't like Love at all, so I am not going to!

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 11:42:51 PM »

I often cover songs I don't like, but I guess I'm just weird.

By the way, "Growing a Mustache" is such a great song. I especially like the acapella part.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »

I love these! Any chance of sectioning them into proper albums, or all these left-overs?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 04:47:43 PM »

By the way, "Growing a Mustache" is such a great song. I especially like the acapella part.

Thanks very much. I have to give credit on that one: it was written by the very Josiah who has a song written about him, also in that set, and another old friend and bandmate of mine in a different song (called "Spiderman's Opus"). For some reason, I really needed it in "Growin' a Mustache." I can't explain it. It's just so.

As for me, I LOVE the drumming/percussion and bass that at the end of that bit, after it's a capella but before the true song comes back. They were done by my friends Bill the Drummer and J.D., respectively.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 04:54:29 PM »

I love these! Any chance of sectioning them into proper albums, or all these left-overs?

I don't really make albums. The basic tracks of "...and even now (Smile!)" (although VERY different other than drums) and "Go Back to the House" were part of an old band's EP. I redid a lot of parts for these versions, including all vocals and guitars, and most keyboards. And some bass. Basic tracks for several others were either used on a little benefit show giveaway CD or in the works for what was to be a proper album at one time, before I killed that band.

The bulk were just done after that by me (sometimes with friends) for amusement. The Beau Mondes was going to be a true band, but once the keyboardist moved and I admitted to myself once and for all that I don't like being in a band, it became a purely for-the-f***-of-it recording project.

But I could sequence them into albums. Hell, they've all been parts of mind-albums at some point. Or you can if you want. There are a few specific periods (mostly defined by girls) that link and batch quite a few of them, but I'll never tell! (Cue evil laugh)

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 04:28:57 PM »

rab2591 -- reviving an old thread to get you those songs you asked about. I'm currently uploading about 70 or so of the from the past five years. It's maybe 10-15 covers and the rest mine. Anyone who downloaded the original package from this thread, sorry...lots of duplications. Probably 8-10 new originals and the aforementioned covers are the only changes. Anyway, uploading now. Won't be long.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 04:41:49 PM »

Thanks! Can't wait to hear em!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 04:54:54 PM »

Here it is. I'd love to hear what you (or others who download and listen) think. Enjoy. http://www.sendspace.com/file/gcteb3

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 05:43:36 PM »

Hey Luther!

Great set of songs you got here. I've been listening to them on and off since I downloaded them the other day. Some songs I really like and others I don't - but they are mostly consistent in their variety of instruments and/or arrangement.

Favorites thus far: your cover of 'I'll Bet He's Nice' blew me away - great singing and arrangement. And I can't believe you don't like 'Love' (the band)! Your song 'A Matter Of Fact' really reminded me of them....but maybe that's just me being crazy. Since you uploaded it the other day I've been listening to 'Dream Morning' constantly. Miserable Grey, Marianne are you listening, To Spite My Face - I liked a lot.

I'll keep listening as the days go on. Most of the songs I mentioned above I added to my favorites playlist in itunes (which is tough to get on!).

So, obviously you play the guitar - do you also play piano, drums, as well? what program do you use to record with (I'm assuming it's digital due to the synth instruments)?

EDIT: also love your song 'Falling Down'. Another thing I forgot to mention was your awesome ability to keep songs to an average of 2 minutes or less....whether by accident or design it is the perfect time for a pop song.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 05:48:13 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 08:43:47 PM »

Thanks for the kind words, rab2591. In terms of my instruments, I'd say I play (in descending order of proficiency) vocals, guitar, bass, keyboards, and drums. Anything you hear with really good drums (i.e. "Red Shoes" or "My Old Girlfriend"), the drums are done by friends of mine. I only did the shittiest of drum parts. There are assorted other friends doing some keyboards, bass or background vocals in some of the tunes, too. As for my recording software: Digital Performer on a Mac with a Motu 8pre interface. Glad you're enjoying some of the songs! As for their durations ... yeah, I'm not a drawn-out kind of guy. Two or three minutes, that's enough for pop music.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2012, 08:16:31 PM »

At hypehat's request, a new upload of the big ol' batch of songs. I don't quite know the differences between what I posted last year and this year, other than obviously the tunes I recorded this year weren't on that last version. Yet since the song totals are similar, I assume I had posted some incomplete or covers or something. This time around it's just my own songs, and the ones that I more or less consider done (not that I'm above revisiting and tinkering on occasion).

This is a zip file of I think 59 or 60 songs, about 150MB. Enjoy.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/uuudbk

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 03:45:47 PM »

Cheers Luther!

Everyone else, check this stuff out!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx