gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:48:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ever feel like giving up music?  (Read 21643 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2006, 09:12:53 AM »

That's a decent point.

Except I just remembered that I don't expect to have any kids.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2006, 09:13:09 AM »

It's giving me hope to see so many others in similar situations. Perhaps we're all just stuck in the same pit, but talking about it will help us all out.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2006, 09:13:34 AM »

That's a decent point.

Except I just remembered that I don't expect to have any kids.

Why's that?

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Jason
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2006, 09:14:19 AM »

If I've learned anything from posting music here, I've learned to record shorter material. No one wants to download a 25 MB file, I do not think I'm liked THAT much, if at all.  Tongue
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2006, 09:22:56 AM »

Why's that?

Lots of complicated reasons, the most basic of which is that I don't like kids very much.

I would really like to be able to have some kind of round-table discussion with some of my favourite musicians...about the hardships they face, emotionally.

I wonder if Brian worried about how good Pet Sounds was, and if he ever felt like it wasn't worth it.  Or even other musicians that you wouldn't normally think of.  Avril Lavigne, does she ever lay awake at night wondering why she even bothers, since she secretly gets no payoff from what she does?

Does any musicians actually get any payoff?  Or artist for that matter?  Or is the nature of an artist to be empty?
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2006, 09:35:06 AM »

Why's that?

Lots of complicated reasons, the most basic of which is that I don't like kids very much.

Does any musicians actually get any payoff?  Or artist for that matter?  Or is the nature of an artist to be empty?

If you had a child of your own you wouldn't like him/her? I think people forget the amount of love that usually seeps into a person with their own. I'd dive infront of traffic to save my little dog. You'd be a fine Dad.

I'm sure every musician who has now "made it" has wondered about their situation. It's something every human comes to a one point. Whether or not they're bagging groceries at a store or playing to sold out crowds. We often wonder if we're in the right place for us, with the right people, etc.

Jason
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2006, 09:35:14 AM »

Why's that?

I would really like to be able to have some kind of round-table discussion with some of my favourite musicians...about the hardships they face, emotionally.

I wonder if Brian worried about how good Pet Sounds was, and if he ever felt like it wasn't worth it.  Or even other musicians that you wouldn't normally think of.  Avril Lavigne, does she ever lay awake at night wondering why she even bothers, since she secretly gets no payoff from what she does?

That's human nature, not artist nature. Humans are always down on themselves, we all have confidence problems.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2006, 09:36:53 AM »

I think it's just terrible that the most talented people seem to be most lacking in drive and self-confidence.

I'd put Josh way up their with the people on this board in terms of overall talent, yet he seems to feel he has none most of his days.

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2006, 10:09:28 AM »

He knows he's got talent, he just doesn't have satisfaction.

Me, I get the biggest satisfaction from anything I do and listen to it over and over. I don't think I am that talented, however (other people have told me otherwise from time to time). It's frustrating for me when I can't do something, be it play drums and bass since I don't have the equipment or actually know how to play a song, period, but I never try to better myself in any area, really. The only thing I have tried to improve in the last couple of years is my singing and 'engineering'.

Watch out for snakes!
wind chime
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2006, 04:00:39 PM »

Most of what I have heard from this board is evidence that there IS talent here...I think we all feel like giving up at times...even Picasso didn't paint every year of his life...I weed my collection of tape demos (they go as far back as 1983) and convert the ones I want to keep to .mp3... makes them easy to store and I can go back in time and remember my younger days when writing a song was so easy to me...I now write mostly instrumentals...I can write words still but I am more interested in upgrading my guitar skills...I play in a church group and its fun and we learn a lot from each other...we are not all buddies either but I have decided that that's not necessarily a problem...it takes time to get to know people and of course some you find out you dont want to be friends with anyway...so going solo is ok to me and being in a group sometimes to...I gave CD of some of my songs to our group leader but I never heard a comment since...so I just keep making music for myself cuz I enjoy it as a hobby and dont take it as my career ambition...but it would be nice...

Watcher of the skies...watcher of all...
scooter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2006, 09:11:34 AM »

Lots...But I THINK  that  playing music (live WAY more than studio) is what's keeping me from self inflicted death...To me nothing beats the live experience, instant feedback, for better or worse...Not sure if I'm a composer really, although Zappa said anybody who improvises a solo is composing; But I am a guitarist/bassist/drummer/harmony singer--that's good enough for me, though I wish I could REALLY play keyboards...It does bother me sometimes that my worst solos might get the biggest response...Does that  happen to anybody else? I'm certainly not making a living at it now,but I'm not planning on giving it up...Gotta gig tonite--two acoustic gtrs.,(or a piano) and a harmonica--there's a lot a trio like that CAN do, and there's a lot it can't do...I prefer my Thursday night open mic jams, but my ears need a break...I could go on, but I got in late, and I need a nap, at least I think I do--bi-polars LOVE to sleep, well, some of us do--keeps us outta trouble...

I know a lot and I know there's a lot I don't know
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2006, 07:59:50 PM »

even Picasso didn't paint every year of his life.

Yeah, and some people don't even like Picasso...they prefer realism.  Pfft.  Sure, what-ever!  But, that goes to show that some people just won't like whatever you record no matter what you do, just because of their own personal tastes.  So to let others dictate what you create is totally messed up.  I make songs because it satisfies a personal need to create, like Picasso's love of painting.  And I love Picasso's paintings!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2006, 11:19:00 PM »

I couldn't give up music; it's my life. I've been writing since I was 11...almost 17 years now. I know I'll never hit it "big", nor would I want to really. I just want to be able to keep recording and getting feedback. I just want to make NEW music that sounds like nothing else out there, to innovate. I know that I have a lot of people who hate the music I do, but there are also a good amount that actually really really like it. THOSE are the people I'm doing it for. I get a thrill out of that. I know this music could never be pulled off live; I secretly like that.

Without this, I honestly can say I have nothing. Music IS my life.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
theeponymuseudonym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2006, 12:16:24 AM »

BRIAN'S NEW BAND ARE LOVE SLAVES.....AND BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HEY MR.WILSON GET SOME DOPE SMOKERS,PLEEZE.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2006, 01:49:47 AM »

I...don't think Brian needs to be around that anymore.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
scooter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2006, 06:34:44 AM »

"more dope smokers please" --you're kidding, right ? NOT funny though...

theeponymuseudonym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2006, 09:50:46 PM »

I'm waiting for "hey little tomboy", "Lazy Lizzy" & "Deep Purple" to be performed by Brian Wilson's
new Alt-Schnoozers...

Thats what I'd pay to see. That, and a picture of "nude on the beach" Dennis!!!!

wind chime
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2006, 03:09:24 AM »

even Picasso didn't paint every year of his life.

Yeah, and some people don't even like Picasso...they prefer realism.  Pfft.  Sure, what-ever!  But, that goes to show that some people just won't like whatever you record no matter what you do, just because of their own personal tastes.  So to let others dictate what you create is totally messed up.  I make songs because it satisfies a personal need to create, like Picasso's love of painting.  And I love Picasso's paintings!

Yes, I (we) have something to say inside of us that we want to say with music...it's not me looking for a hit single...it's a personal expression...it's just great when other people can dig it too!

Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2006, 10:28:55 AM »

It's sometimes very difficult to have to relate to five other people, but i'm extremely thankful that I have them and their voices.  There are many times when I feel like it could be over, and then I would stop, but then I wouldn't know what else to do.

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2006, 02:01:28 PM »

It's sometimes very difficult to have to relate to five other people, but i'm extremely thankful that I have them and their voices.  There are many times when I feel like it could be over, and then I would stop, but then I wouldn't know what else to do.

I think the occasional tension and difficulty is ultimately worth it, for the glory of collaborative creation.  Not that I can remember what that's like.
scooter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2006, 04:50:27 PM »

I think the occasional tension and difficulty is ultimately worth it, for the glory of collaborative creation.  Not that I can remember what that's like.

After what I just went thru 2 wks ago, I would say it's easier on my nervous system to be a freelancer...So for now, I am...

Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2006, 06:42:48 PM »

My school day is broken up into two different sections. I have 3 normal classes then I get on a bus and go 50 minutes away to an Audio Recording school. There i'm surrounded by talented kids who often surpass me in many projects we do. Each day when I leave there I feel so emotionally drained that i've actually cried on the bus back many times just out of that gray mood. While on that bus coming home I won't listen to any music, i'll sit and think about how terrible I am at everything which extends into music. These bad moods can swing right in from hardly any provoking. It could be a car i'll see and it'll set me off. It's tough to deal with when getting home I feel no inspiration to make any music at all.

b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2006, 07:34:19 PM »

My school day is broken up into two different sections. I have 3 normal classes then I get on a bus and go 50 minutes away to an Audio Recording school. There i'm surrounded by talented kids who often surpass me in many projects we do. Each day when I leave there I feel so emotionally drained that i've actually cried on the bus back many times just out of that gray mood. While on that bus coming home I won't listen to any music, i'll sit and think about how terrible I am at everything which extends into music. These bad moods can swing right in from hardly any provoking. It could be a car i'll see and it'll set me off. It's tough to deal with when getting home I feel no inspiration to make any music at all.

Uh...so, ever feel like giving up music?  I guess that would be a 'yes'.  I mean, can they be SO good at music that it just makes you HATE music - is that the conclusion to this premise?  What is the underlying reason for this?  What are the real motivating factors behind your mood swings?  Don't take me wrong in this, just sounds like it's not just you having an isolated occurance in a vacuum, void of meaning, if you know what I mean. 
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2006, 07:43:03 PM »

Uh...so, ever feel like giving up music?  I guess that would be a 'yes'.  I mean, can they be SO good at music that it just makes you HATE music - is that the conclusion to this premise?  What is the underlying reason for this?  What are the real motivating factors behind your mood swings?  Don't take me wrong in this, just sounds like it's not just you having an isolated occurance in a vacuum, void of meaning, if you know what I mean. 

No, I perfectly understand your questions.

Feeling the intimidation of others is just an aspect to what I guess is an insecurity I have with myself. It's often simply seeing people with such direction with their own music/careers/lives whereas I (self-imposed) have hardly any. That of course can get a person down for some time. Sometimes I find myself so incapable of "lightening up" and joking around with people whom I haven't know for a long time. Inside though i'm a chatty little person, though this will never leave my head when i'm with a group of people. This side of my personality while able to be fixed is a major bummer for lack of a better word. There are attempts i've made to be as social and outgoing as possible but those attempts are often shot down by similar insecurities that get me. A good nap usually takes care of that though to be honest. I'll find my body forcing me into sleep when i'm upset, almost as if it's the only way to get over that feeling.

Smiley - this is because I feel like i've gone into whining in this thread.  :D

wind chime
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2006, 03:55:08 AM »

H&V I have had to accomodate superior musicians in my church...I was the only guitar player in a small band in 2002 and people would say that's great the way I played and I would say cheerfully "Oh thanks but I'm not that good"...finally a guy joined who was and is really really good on guitar and keyboards!!! He basically was handed the leadership and I repositioned myself as backup guitar, it was humbling...but the right thing to do...so what I'm saying is that there will always be people who sound better than ourselves to us...just keep on learning...this guy who leads us now I have learned a lot of stuff from him...you just have to learn to work with the right people for you..........

...........or else just go solo :D

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx