gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680996 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 05:24:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's Fall US tour ('new' old songs)  (Read 30365 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2009, 07:39:34 PM »

Damn it, who cares about Deuce Coupe and Shut Down. I want to hear The Night Was So Young, Roller Skating Child, and Airplane. Breakaway would be nice, too.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2009, 07:59:35 PM »

Damn it, who cares about Deuce Coupe and Shut Down. I want to hear The Night Was So Young, Roller Skating Child, and Airplane. Breakaway would be nice, too.

Ditto!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2009, 11:09:20 PM »

Brian does do Breakaway sometimes. Changed the ending, though.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2009, 08:00:42 AM »

How 'bout A Day In The Life Of A Tree??!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2009, 08:21:48 AM »

That would be killer with Brian's current voice...and the band would make the ending sound awesome. 
Sciencefriction
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2009, 08:50:25 AM »

A Day In The Life Of A Tree would be wonderful, but I'd really love to hear Oh Lord.  I love Melt Away, so I'm excited about that especially.  I hope he plays When I Grow Up.   Grin

I just found out he's play Pittsburgh!  I'm definitely going to that gig!  Finally an act I can go see.  Thank you Brian Wilson. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 08:57:47 AM by Sciencefriction » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2009, 10:38:18 AM »

The one time I heard it - Hampton Court, 2005 - it was a complete and utter train wreck. Just... painful.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2009, 12:18:14 PM »

That would be killer with Brian's current voice...and the band would make the ending sound awesome. 
I've wanted to hear modern Brian sing this since the first time I heard it.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Sciencefriction
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2009, 12:55:55 PM »

His sets are pretty big aren't they?  I hope he throws in a few suprises.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2009, 01:14:14 PM »

I'm really excited for the Brian solo songs that are being added to the set. The only time I saw Brian, the only "solo" song he did (besides Good Vibrations with the Asher lyrics) was Love & Mercy.

I think he did that and 'Desert Drive' when i saw him. Stuff like Walkin' The Line would work great live, i have no idea why that hasn't gone in.Same with 'Meet Me In My dreams'
He did "Let it Shine" for a while.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2009, 01:18:40 PM »

His sets are pretty big aren't they?  I hope he throws in a few suprises.

I don't expect a lot of surprises. With "Custom Machine" and the four 'new' solo tracks he already added five songs that weren't hits... And since the upcoming shows are billed as "greatest hits" shows, he can't really afford to add much more obscure material.
ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2009, 12:24:45 AM »

I'm more into the deal that Brian should decide which songs he'd like to perform!
Seems like I'm one of the few in this thread who actually would be disappointed if a BB/BW gig didn't include
Fun Fun Fun! Smiley

Take care!

//Henrik

The pine-scented air smells so good in the snow, in our toboggan well go
screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
Sciencefriction
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2009, 07:47:10 AM »

I wouldn't mind if all he played was songs from 15 Big Ones and Love You, seeing Brian Wilson live is more than I can ask for.  He would probably rather be at home.  Thanks Brian.  Smiley
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2009, 08:22:26 PM »

I'd love to hear him do Never Learn Not to Love! Or maybe a medley of Beatrice From Baltimore/Marcella/All I Want to Do!!! LOL LOL LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2009, 09:19:27 PM »

Here are some different songs I'd like Brian to do:

"No-Go Showboat"
"Don't Back Down"
"Salt Lake City"
"Kiss Me, Baby"
"You're So Good To Me"
"I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" (he did it on the PS Tour, I know, but it should be his theme song)
"You Need a Mess of Help To Stand Alone"
"Little Pad"
"Be Here in the Mornin'" (why do the BBs hate pronouncing their "-ing's" so much?)
"All I Wanna Do"
"I Went to Sleep" (followed by that bit of "Brian Wilson" they used to do)
"Cool, Cool Water"
"I'll Bet He's Nice"
"Roller Skating Child"
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2009, 01:09:58 AM »

I'd really like to hear "Rio Grande" done live.

There are some songs that have been in Brian's live repertoire for over a decade that should be dropped for a while to keep things fresh.  I may be in the minority here, but I think "In My Room", "Surfer Girl", and "The Little Girl I Once Knew" deserve a break.  These are all great live, but I think they'd be much more appreciated if they were gone for a while and returned after a few years.

All that said, I am very grateful that Brian continues to tour, and will take whatever I can get!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2009, 02:26:55 AM »

I was listening to Live At The Roxy again yesterday... Now that's a great setlist...
Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2009, 02:43:08 AM »

The Brian Wilson G.H. Tour

1) Who is in the G.H. band?
2) Does the G.H. tour have a money back guarantee?

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2009, 04:00:33 AM »

AGD mentioned 'Breakaway' being painful when he saw it at Hampton (which I gather was not a great show overall) though I saw it done rather well at the Nov 06 Pet Sounds gig if I recall right.

And somebody mentioned 'Salt Lake City', welll that was a personal highlight for me where it really rocked at the RFH TLOS shows. Smiley

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2009, 06:58:53 AM »

Here are some different songs I'd like Brian to do:
"Don't Back Down"
"Salt Lake City"
"Kiss Me, Baby"
"I Just Wasn't Made For These Times"

I've seen them do all of the above, I believe.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2009, 07:00:34 AM »

I think "In My Room", "Surfer Girl", and "The Little Girl I Once Knew" deserve a break.  These are all great live, but I think they'd be much more appreciated if they were gone for a while and returned after a few years.

I don't think you'll ever see a BW concert without "Surfer Girl" & "In My Room" in the set-list.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2009, 08:34:22 AM »

The one time I heard it - Hampton Court, 2005 - it was a complete and utter train wreck. Just... painful.

I saw them play it three times during the Smile tour of '05...it was a highlight of the show for me. Brian did stretch his voice beyond the breaking point a couple of times during the song, though.....

I'd be more jazzed about more focus on Summer Days Summer Nights stuff. I loved hearing Girl Don't Tell Me and Salt Lake City last year. Girl From New York City would rock, I don't know why they dont' go for it.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2009, 03:18:09 AM »

I hope they play small venues like Lupo's  and it's  G..H . all the way!

Would you settle for big venues and small a small crowd? If so , you may be in luck!

No new product. To many tours. No interest I'm afraid.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2009, 05:33:25 AM »

Shouldn't he do all solo work as a 'Greatest hits'? personally i'd love that, hearing some of the stuff off BW88 performed by a proper live band would be staggering.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2009, 07:38:28 AM »

Shouldn't he do all solo work as a 'Greatest hits'? personally i'd love that, hearing some of the stuff off BW88 performed by a proper live band would be staggering.

I agree: I'd be very interested to see such a setlist, with my thoughts as I (very occasionally) listen to BW88, Imagination or GIOMH* tending toward the "I wish the whole band had performed and sung this." No, the material isn't as consistently great as his 25 years or so of previous material. But there is certainly a very solid concert's worth. And I think it would be invigorating to those tunes to be heard in the context of live musicians and singers, stripped of the silliness of the 80s, of slippery ProWrestlerduction (tm) and wall o' bad Brians.

I'd be interested in a set including songs like:

Your Imagination
Good Kind of Love
She Says That She Loves Me
How Could We Still Be Dancing?
Morning Beat
Desert Drive
Melt Away
GIOMH
Midnight's Another Day
Walkin The Line
Goin Home
Where Has Love Been?
There's So Many
Cry
Oxygen to the Brain
Live Let Live
City Blues
Meet Me In My Dreams Tonight
Lay Down Burden
Rio Grande
Love and Mercy

And if he really wanted to make it even more interesting for hardcore fans, why not toss in some of the yet-unreleased material from Sweet Insanity, the Paley sessions or both?

OK, this wouldn't exactly draw wide crowds, mostly fanatics. But smaller theaters and higher ticket prices ... serious fans would pay quite a lot for that kind of show, don't you think? Plus, the obviously resulting live album (doesn't he do that every tour now?...) could well replace the first few solo albums for me.

*I know GIOMH was the current band, more or less. But not vocally. I've heard Desert Drive, Soul Searchin and the title track live, and they were really enjoyable.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx