gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 10:10:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blueberry Hill  (Read 8933 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2009, 08:01:56 AM »

...I just love it. Had Mike just been a bit less nasal, or had Carl sung it, it would have been a classic for me.

Howzabout youse?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 08:53:21 AM »

I find it quite horrid actually, the eerie saxes at the beginning followed by Mikes creepy vocal and then the worse bit of all when the rest of the band come in - the rhythm is all clunky and lethargic and the boys sort of moan over it. Actually it's not that bad, in a perverse sort of way it's enjoyable, but only for the sheer unmusicality of it.

Glad someone likes it though!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 10:41:47 AM »

I'm with Matt on this one.  It has sort of a train wreck appeal, I think it is one of the worst covers from that time.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 11:07:50 AM »

I kind of like it. It would've been better if it they actually committed to building the track up rather than 'quiet verse - screw it, just bring the entire band in'.... Definitely car--crash material.

Now Chapel Of love - THAT'S a cover!   Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 01:12:43 PM »

I felt the same way as matt originally, but Ive come to think that, ot her htan the vocal, its really well produced.

Brian was producing a lot of stuff at the time with the clunky rhythm. I like the way the guitars and the saxes sort of merge into one golden shimmering wall on that track.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 04:15:12 PM »

Now Chapel Of love - THAT'S a cover!   Grin

I've really warmed up to 15 Big Ones throughout the last two years or so, and this song is one of the main reasons. Brian's voice sounds rough but very spirited and the production is really clever. It's as good a Spector cover as he ever did.
mtaber
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 06:47:48 PM »

Love Blueberry Hill, love Talk to Me, love Just Once in my Life... not much for Chapel, hate In the Still of the Night...

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 06:54:39 PM »

I've never been sold on Mike as lead singer on "Blueberry Hill"; his voice wasn't deep enough a la Fats. I would've liked to have heard Brian give it a shot, even in his raspy state.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 02:07:34 AM »

love Talk to Me

That has to be the best vocal on the album, although i'm not wild about the other song shoehorned in the middle. Carl didn't like the oldies angle, is that why he has so few leads? He suits these songs better than Mike, imo.

Re Chapel of love, is it just me or does the melody crop up in 'Love To Say Dada'? on the clarinets? Seems like such an unlikely steal...

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 02:08:12 AM »

I LOVE Blueberry Hill... also the instr version that's been floating around. I can overlay the PERFECT vocal on that while I'm driving, or while I'm in the bath...!  Grin

For all 15BOs marked a different direction for the band musically – one which many of us would agree lacked the integrity and class of the progressive stuff found on Sunflower, Surf's Up, Carl & The Passions and Holland – there's some great stuff on there. That Same Song, Just Once In My Life, Had To Phone Ya ( I used the "Come on, come on and answer the phone, come on come on,... " etc on my answering machine for a long time...), Talk to Me, Back Home (the best version of all those I've heard that they'd recorded in the previous 14 years), Susie Cincinatti  ... all really good fun.

The only tracks I'd purge from that album might be TM Song and and Everyone's In Love With You.  Maybe R&R Music due to over-familiarity!

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 03:10:16 AM »

I LOVE Blueberry Hill... also the instr version that's been floating around. I can overlay the PERFECT vocal on that while I'm driving, or while I'm in the bath...!  Grin

For all 15BOs marked a different direction for the band musically – one which many of us would agree lacked the integrity and class of the progressive stuff found on Sunflower, Surf's Up, Carl & The Passions and Holland – there's some great stuff on there. That Same Song, Just Once In My Life, Had To Phone Ya ( I used the "Come on, come on and answer the phone, come on come on,... " etc on my answering machine for a long time...), Talk to Me, Back Home (the best version of all those I've heard that they'd recorded in the previous 14 years), Susie Cincinatti  ... all really good fun.

The only tracks I'd purge from that album might be TM Song and and Everyone's In Love With You.  Maybe R&R Music due to over-familiarity!

I like TM Song. Once I got past the topic, I noticed a sweet, lovely melody, and many nice touches. Perhaps a bit Wilson/Paley like ('Saturday Morning'). Would not have been out of place on Friends (consider: Busy Doing Nothing).

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 03:51:02 AM »

Yeah, I'm shocked by how many BB songs people here dislike for lyrical reasons. To me, the music of Brian Wilson steals the show, the lyrics aren't that important (and let's face it, most of the BBs lyrics are corny). Like "Hey Little Tomboy". That song is catchy as heck! I can't believe that there are people who would rank "Kona Coast" or whatever dreck over that song. And I think the lecherous lyrics work in a way, kind of mocking how people wanted the BBs to have that old "fun in the sun, never-ending summer vacation" sound at the time when they were really 30-something year old men with failing marriages, substance abuse problems, and etc. I personally think a lot of Love You is tongue in check. Actually, the vibe of Love You reminds me a lot of Iggy Pop and David Bowie's The Idiot, from the ironic happiness to the farting synthesizers. Both came out in '77, and Iggy Pop and Brian Wilson were both thoroughly burned out by that time.

And as for "TM Song", yeah, it's good. BB fans have this strange aversion to all songs that involve TM, I think because music critics decided that it wasn't hip after the Beatles abandoned it (I would honestly like to know what makes the song "Transcendental Meditation" so bad besides the lyrics). BB fans like to build up this myth that BBs were somehow hip. I don't buy it (except maybe Dennis, and Carl for a short time in the early 70s), but I don't think that it's a bad thing. Personally, I love that after SMiLE Brian wasn't afraid to be anachronistic or iconoclastic. I'd rather have the silliness of Love You over the political posturing Lennon did in the 70s or the commercial pap McCartney produced (to bring up what happened to Brian's 60s rivals in the 70s).
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 04:30:34 AM »

Yeah, I'm shocked by how many BB songs people here dislike for lyrical reasons. To me, the music of Brian Wilson steals the show, the lyrics aren't that important (and let's face it, most of the BBs lyrics are corny). Like "Hey Little Tomboy". That song is catchy as heck! I can't believe that there are people who would rank "Kona Coast" or whatever dreck over that song. And I think the lecherous lyrics work in a way, kind of mocking how people wanted the BBs to have that old "fun in the sun, never-ending summer vacation" sound at the time when they were really 30-something year old men with failing marriages, substance abuse problems, and etc. I personally think a lot of Love You is tongue in check. Actually, the vibe of Love You reminds me a lot of Iggy Pop and David Bowie's The Idiot, from the ironic happiness to the farting synthesizers. Both came out in '77, and Iggy Pop and Brian Wilson were both thoroughly burned out by that time.

And as for "TM Song", yeah, it's good. BB fans have this strange aversion to all songs that involve TM, I think because music critics decided that it wasn't hip after the Beatles abandoned it (I would honestly like to know what makes the song "Transcendental Meditation" so bad besides the lyrics). BB fans like to build up this myth that BBs were somehow hip. I don't buy it (except maybe Dennis, and Carl for a short time in the early 70s), but I don't think that it's a bad thing. Personally, I love that after SMiLE Brian wasn't afraid to be anachronistic or iconoclastic. I'd rather have the silliness of Love You over the political posturing Lennon did in the 70s or the commercial pap McCartney produced (to bring up what happened to Brian's 60s rivals in the 70s).

Lovely post, well thought out, cheers! Esp. the terms anachronistic and iconoclastic are nice. More and more I tend to think that 'Love You' is simply the true punk album of the '70s. Why? Well, the punk aesthetic always was said to be: do it yourself, be yourself, keep it simple, don't mind what others think, just DO it. Well, in hindsight I find many, many punk albums terribly conservative, following rules, samey, predictable, even unlistenable. And what else is 'Never Mind The Bollocks' than simple and quite boring and badly played heavy metal? Punk/new wave only was interesting when the artists really looked for outside inspiration (to wit: PiL's second album, and Pere Ubu).

See: Love You almost effortless fulfills the original punk criteria. That it doesn't sound like an average punk album is only to its benefit.

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 07:04:44 AM »

love Talk to Me

That has to be the best vocal on the album, although i'm not wild about the other song shoehorned in the middle. Carl didn't like the oldies angle, is that why he has so few leads? He suits these songs better than Mike, imo.

Man, I couldn't disagree more. I really can't stand ANY of Carl's pilled-out vocals from this time period. Always sound like he's about to pass out! Blueberry Hill sounds great but needs Dennis or BW to lead it.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 09:44:19 AM »

And while I'm downplaying the importance of lyrics in BB songs, I'm going to throw a dart at all of the Mike Love supporters that have been waving their Mike Love Not War flags lately. Some people would have you believe (fallaciously) that Mike's lyrics and general 'tude were critical to the early BBs success. I say that whoever wrote lyrics for The Surfaris or The Rivieras could've done just as well as Love. Look up their lyrics and tell me, honestly tell me, that there's a notable difference. He was disposable. Yes, he sang leads on some of the early hits, but that was more because he was more assertive and (unfoundedly) confident as opposed to having a great voice. Brian Wilson was one of Rolling Stones top 100 vocalists of all time, Mike was not.

If any of Mike Love's lyrics seem special or remarkable in any way, it's only because they were riding one of those magically catchy Brian Wilson vocal melodies. Hell, you could probably just talk about vegetables using one of those vocal melodies and it would sound great. And as far as love songs and introspective lyrics go, I think most of would say that Tony Asher did at least as good as a job Mike, and Usher was no slouch either with songs like "In My Room". It's time to make Mike out to be the moneygrubbing joke he is again, before more people are convinced (erroneously) otherwise. OK, he sang well on "All I Wanna Do", but that's it.

I forget who it was, but a Capitol records executive said that when he met Brian in the early/mid 60s, you could just tell that he was meant to be a star, and that he didn't need the group. His talent was limitless. I think the decades of mental illness Brian has suffered from has made it difficult for people to realize just how strong of a figure he was for awhile. He was practically the King of the U.S. music industry for a couple of years (yes, Elvis Presley was the King, but he didn't write or produce his own music, and that made him more of a subject of the music industry, a symbolic King as opposed to a real one).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 09:52:39 AM by Dada » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 11:31:50 AM »

And while I'm downplaying the importance of lyrics in BB songs, I'm going to throw a dart at all of the Mike Love supporters that have been waving their Mike Love Not War flags lately. Some people would have you believe (fallaciously) that Mike's lyrics and general 'tude were critical to the early BBs success. I say that whoever wrote lyrics for The Surfaris or The Rivieras could've done just as well as Love. Look up their lyrics and tell me, honestly tell me, that there's a notable difference. He was disposable. Yes, he sang leads on some of the early hits, but that was more because he was more assertive and (unfoundedly) confident as opposed to having a great voice. Brian Wilson was one of Rolling Stones top 100 vocalists of all time, Mike was not.

If any of Mike Love's lyrics seem special or remarkable in any way, it's only because they were riding one of those magically catchy Brian Wilson vocal melodies. Hell, you could probably just talk about vegetables using one of those vocal melodies and it would sound great. And as far as love songs and introspective lyrics go, I think most of would say that Tony Asher did at least as good as a job Mike, and Usher was no slouch either with songs like "In My Room". It's time to make Mike out to be the moneygrubbing joke he is again, before more people are convinced (erroneously) otherwise. OK, he sang well on "All I Wanna Do", but that's it.

I forget who it was, but a Capitol records executive said that when he met Brian in the early/mid 60s, you could just tell that he was meant to be a star, and that he didn't need the group. His talent was limitless. I think the decades of mental illness Brian has suffered from has made it difficult for people to realize just how strong of a figure he was for awhile. He was practically the King of the U.S. music industry for a couple of years (yes, Elvis Presley was the King, but he didn't write or produce his own music, and that made him more of a subject of the music industry, a symbolic King as opposed to a real one).

I totally agree that Mike was disposable. I've said myself before that Dennis should have fronted the group. Denny had the looks and (eventually) a great voice. I'm sure most young girls at the time thought the drummer was a lot "cuter" than the tall balding guy doing all the corny dancing (I swear that Love dances just like my dad does when he's drunk!).

Sorry to spoil the "Love"-fest. Grin

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 12:35:25 PM »

Actually, I was about the only one waving a Mike Love Not War flag recently, but I wasn't saying it was brilliant or anything...sheesh...I just wanted to know who wrote what.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 01:06:51 PM »

Actually, I was about the only one waving a Mike Love Not War flag recently, but I wasn't saying it was brilliant or anything...sheesh...I just wanted to know who wrote what.

Oh, I wasn't talking his solo album. Just using it as phrase, instead of "peace flags" or whatever.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 01:12:43 PM »

Gotcha.
MBE
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 01:48:23 PM »

Elvis co-produced all his sessions from 1956 on.  Needless to say as a fan of the GROUP I disagreee with the rest of your post as well. To each his own though.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 01:50:07 PM by MBE » Logged
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 02:49:14 PM »

Love Blueberry Hill, love Talk to Me, love Just Once in my Life... not much for Chapel, hate In the Still of the Night...

I think 'Still of the night' is great (love the ARP synth toward the end), but I think 'Just once in my life' is the best song on the album, just mind boggling, great synths, great arrangements and production. It's quite a 'big' sounding production which was unusual generally for Brian at that time. Sort of reminds me a bit of 'It's like heaven' which could have been a great BB number.
We all know our stuff here so I don't want to go on about how different and brilliant the Brians Back period could have been but there's so many cool but tossed away songs from this late 70s time that it just kills me. They tried for years to get Brian back into it and then when he got cookin' around late 76 doing all the Adult child/new album/love you stuff a lot of it got rejected. There could have easily been another two 'Love you' type albums for sure.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 03:23:47 PM »

I think 'Still of the night' is great (love the ARP synth toward the end), but I think 'Just once in my life' is the best song on the album, just mind boggling, great synths, great arrangements and production. It's quite a 'big' sounding production which was unusual generally for Brian at that time. Sort of reminds me a bit of 'It's like heaven' which could have been a great BB number.

Agree, Matt. I think while the group was hoping for a great new Beach Boys album from Brian, he was sneaking in his Phil Spector rock and roll album. I find that period (1976-1981) the most fascinating of Brian's career. Whatever "it" is, Brian still had "it". Some of that arranging and producing was/is mind boggling, you know, those moments when you say to yourself, "How did he do that?" I don't blame Brian for the poor vocals on 15 Big Ones and Love You. You could've hired Spector himself and even he couldn't have overcome the effects of the cocaine.

Edit: Oh yeah, "It's Like Heaven". Love it! When did Brian write it? Was it during the MIU sessions?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 03:27:44 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
mtaber
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 06:12:18 PM »

A bit off track, but I have always wondered about "Talk to Me".  On the Spring version of "Good Time", there's the line "Hey, baby, turn up the radio- the DJ just said he's playin' our favorite song, talk to me"... I always figured that maybe "Talk to Me" was a special song to Brian and Marilyn and that he referenced it in "Good Time".  Anyone else ever shared my thought?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 06:27:04 PM »

A bit off track, but I have always wondered about "Talk to Me".  On the Spring version of "Good Time", there's the line "Hey, baby, turn up the radio- the DJ just said he's playin' our favorite song, talk to me"... I always figured that maybe "Talk to Me" was a special song to Brian and Marilyn and that he referenced it in "Good Time".  Anyone else ever shared my thought?

Yeah. Everytime I listen to Spring's "Good Time" and hear that reference, I think of "Talk To Me". After Spring, 15 Big Ones was the next album that Brian produced, and Marilyn is all over it.
mtaber
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 06:49:07 PM »

Back to "Blueberry Hill" - the intro (Steve Douglas, correct?) is absolutely tremendous...

The thing I like best about BH is that Brian didn't just do a straight cover, he made it his own... I think an all-oldies album could've worked if he took the same approach with other oldies...

One song I always wished he would've covered is "Saturday Night at the Movies" by the Drifters...
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx