gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:26:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Getcha Back" falsetto  (Read 33426 times)
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2010, 12:20:25 PM »

I really dig this version. wonder who's doing the falsetto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsseCCmknfE&feature=fvsr
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2010, 02:45:19 PM »

Well, to each his own... but that song sent me to sleep. Dragsville.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2010, 11:01:19 PM »

With all the hardcore fans here, I'm a little surprised this thread has lasted so long regarding the question concerning who sang the falsetto part in "Getcha Back". Maybe it took C-man's post above recounting MIX Magazine's interview with Producer Steve Levine  in '85 to kind of put the issue to rest.

As soon as I bought the single and heard it for the first time, I remember that I immediately knew it was Brian singing the falsetto. At the time, I knew Foskett was in the touring band, but didn't even think that he might be contributing vocals to the studio recordings. I remember thinking how cool it was for Brian to be singing in his old falsetto voice and how the song benefited greatly from it. You can tell it's him with the same high nasal tonal quality as the old days and I remember thinking, yeah, he can still do it!!! It wasn't replicated very often after that on a Beach Boys record. Even on the '88 solo album it sounded forced.

Before that his old high voice showed signs of life on Love You, but the one I still can't figure out to this day is "Matchpoint Of Our Love". Nobody seems to have a definitive answer as to why his voice is so clear on that song, and why he hasn't really been able to replicate it since. Was he 'forced' to get that high vocal sound like he was for "Getcha Back"?

« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 11:20:54 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2010, 02:33:09 AM »

It always sounded like Brian to me, but he's obviously straining - he's nearly screaming the high note when the keychange happens.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2010, 09:33:07 AM »

I'm not a trained musician, but I believe scooping is starting to sing the the note one harmonic third below the correct pitch, and then quickly riding it up to perfect pitch of the proper note -- typically in notes of a half measure or longer in 4/4 time.  I'm glad someone else pointed it out, because I've always thought Brian did that with his crooning falsetto.  An example would be the first line of "Blue Christmas":

"I'll have a blue, Christmas, without you" (with "blue" and the first syllable of "Christmas" being "scooped")

It's not an unpleasant effect at all, when the start of the scoop is in perfect pitch at the lower harmonic, and the note ends in perfect pitch.  Brian does some of that on the new Gershwin tracks.

You musicians out there, correct me if I'm wrong!   Smiley

Lee

that's what i assumed "scooping" was too.  i like how it sounds tbh.  if i have it right anyway, is brian "scooping" on the bridge for surfer girl here?  I love that sound. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea79xiOR-RY
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2010, 09:42:58 AM »

It always sounded like Brian to me, but he's obviously straining - he's nearly screaming the high note when the keychange happens.

...and in a strange way that's exactly what I love about that song. It's one of those later songs of theirs that actually DON'T sound like they didn't care.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2010, 03:45:07 PM »

I don't believe he really sounds like he nearly screaming in that one part. I've had time to think about it, and my wonder is why were nearly all of his vocals on BW88 "yelled"? I mean, yeah he sang like that back in the day too, on stuff like "You're So Good to Me" and "Heroes & Villains", etc. But BW88, it just doesnt fit on every song, some it does. But stuff like "Love and Mercy" and "Melt Away" may have benefitted from a little more finesse.

Btw, has Brian ever spoken about the drastic change in his between Holland and 15 Big Ones? I wonder was his reasoning/explanation was for it.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2010, 03:49:31 PM »

I believe he said he wanted to sound more "manly."

As for BW 88, he said some 10 years later he was aware that some people thought he was "sabotaging" his voice on the album, but that he was trying his best. I'm guessing he was stressed and didn't feel comfortable around a lot of the folks brought in to help make the album. Just compare how he sounds in the Usher sessions of a year or so before -- sure the tracks sound like crud, but Brian sounds reasonably relaxed.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2010, 06:53:37 PM »

Killer lead singer, arrangement and production-who is this? w00t!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2010, 08:29:34 PM »

Killer lead singer, arrangement and production-who is this? w00t!

The lead singer is Mark McGrath, from the band Sugar Ray...I really liked his lead too, and I generally don't like his voice.  I don't know anything else about this, but I really dug the falsetto and arrangement!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2010, 10:50:33 PM »

On Melt Away and Love & Mercy, Brian sounds like he's singing at the Super Bowl or something and trying to scream over everybody.  I always attributed that to the image I have of him at the time; a man with serious mental issues, being fed copious amounts of anti psychotic medication by a man who was a bigger lunatic than he was.  I know all that's probably bullshit, but that's how I've always imaged that time period for him. 
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2010, 11:23:31 PM »

With all the hardcore fans here, I'm a little surprised this thread has lasted so long regarding the question concerning who sang the falsetto part in "Getcha Back". Maybe it took C-man's post above recounting MIX Magazine's interview with Producer Steve Levine  in '85 to kind of put the issue to rest.

As soon as I bought the single and heard it for the first time, I remember that I immediately knew it was Brian singing the falsetto. At the time, I knew Foskett was in the touring band, but didn't even think that he might be contributing vocals to the studio recordings. I remember thinking how cool it was for Brian to be singing in his old falsetto voice and how the song benefited greatly from it. You can tell it's him with the same high nasal tonal quality as the old days and I remember thinking, yeah, he can still do it!!! It wasn't replicated very often after that on a Beach Boys record. Even on the '88 solo album it sounded forced.

Before that his old high voice showed signs of life on Love You, but the one I still can't figure out to this day is "Matchpoint Of Our Love". Nobody seems to have a definitive answer as to why his voice is so clear on that song, and why he hasn't really been able to replicate it since. Was he 'forced' to get that high vocal sound like he was for "Getcha Back"?

I've always assumed that the Matchpoint vocal was recorded ealier - early 70s? It sounds like his voice is beginning to deteriorate. The rest of MIU Brian pretty much sounds like a younger version of his current singing voice.

Regarding Brian's last falsetto - I think that the middle 8 of Saturday Morning In The Saturday is the last sustained falsetto, although it's not that good, and from same album 'How Could We Still Be Dancing' which is a lot better.
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2010, 01:57:27 AM »

It definitely sounds like Brian to me. It's possible that Jeff is helping him out but it does not sound like Jeff's tone to me.

Also, if Jeff were singing the part, I don't see why he would attempt to sound like 80s Brian when he can so easily resemble a 60s Brian (especially in those days).

Once the key change hits at the end, it's really easy for me to deduct that it's Brian doing the part. Sounds like Brian really went to town on that part of the song, too. He's doing two or three other parts simultaneously via overdubbing.

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2010, 02:02:38 AM »

I've always assumed that the Matchpoint vocal was recorded ealier - early 70s? It sounds like his voice is beginning to deteriorate. The rest of MIU Brian pretty much sounds like a younger version of his current singing voice.

Regarding Brian's last falsetto - I think that the middle 8 of Saturday Morning In The Saturday is the last sustained falsetto, although it's not that good, and from same album 'How Could We Still Be Dancing' which is a lot better.

I assumed that Alan was secretly doubling with Brian on the lead of "Matchpoint", hence the clarity. I also agree that it was probably recorded a little earlier than the other material.

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2010, 04:47:24 AM »

I assumed that Alan was secretly doubling with Brian on the lead of "Matchpoint", hence the clarity. I also agree that it was probably recorded a little earlier than the other material.

No, "Matchpoint" was tracked in the fall of '77, with the others.  Brian sounds a lot there like he sometimes did in interviews from the era...the ones where he sounded more, shall we say, clear headed.
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2010, 01:47:26 AM »

No, "Matchpoint" was tracked in the fall of '77, with the others.  Brian sounds a lot there like he sometimes did in interviews from the era...the ones where he sounded more, shall we say, clear headed.

Indeed. For some odd reason, during MIU, his voice sounded much clearing than before. Some of this can be attributed to a bigger use of the falsetto in lead vocals, but still...

As for the falsetto on "Getcha Back", that's definitely Brian. I can hear the very same voice in the instrumental break of "Love and Mercy". And that's probably the closest Brian's voice managed to get to his young, classic voice.

I don't rightfully know what caused the vocal shift from his late seventies/early eighties voice to the mid-late 80's voice. I know he used the same style of singing in Orange Crate Art. Which was recorded in 1995, I think. His voice shifted again before Imagination, though. And that's basically the voice he's been using since, with its ups and downs.
darrenjray
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2019, 02:20:02 AM »

I e-mailed the producer Steve Levine a couple of years ago and received this reply from his Press Officer:

"Hi Darren,

I have spoken to Steve and he says Wiki is correct. Hope this helps.

Sue Sillitoe"

That means we can believe it is Brian doing that falsetto.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2019, 07:23:47 AM »

I e-mailed the producer Steve Levine a couple of years ago and received this reply from his Press Officer:

"Hi Darren,

I have spoken to Steve and he says Wiki is correct. Hope this helps.

Sue Sillitoe"

That means we can believe it is Brian doing that falsetto.

Wow! that's cool. Thanks
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2019, 12:12:40 PM »

I think Steve Levine would not embarrass Brian Wilson.  If you listen to Brian sing the very end of Getcha Back, you hear the very real and ragged singing voice of Brian Wilson at that time.  There is no way the guy that sang that part of the song sang the falsetto. 
Crow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2019, 01:19:29 PM »

I believe I read he was trying to sound like Billy Joel who was big at the time
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2019, 01:49:15 PM »

More fuel for the fire since this thread started. Claims to be an early mix.

https://youtu.be/xrwCCHY1ibI
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2019, 04:10:56 PM »

I think Steve Levine would not embarrass Brian Wilson.  If you listen to Brian sing the very end of Getcha Back, you hear the very real and ragged singing voice of Brian Wilson at that time.  There is no way the guy that sang that part of the song sang the falsetto. 

Except that he did...whether or not that's BW singing the falsetto on the YouTube-posted demo version, it's him on the final record.  The identify of the falsetto singer on the demo, I think, is debatable -it sounds more like Adrian there than either Jeff or Brian IMO - but that could possibly be down to a difference in tape speed, if it was sourced from a slightly sped up tape (I haven't A/B'd it with the record or CD, so I couldn't say).  Regardless, it's Brian on the final mix. How am I so certain? Well, for one, as Billy C. says upthread, it's the same voice heard on other BW vocals from the era - notably, some of the falsettos on his first solo album. Slightly whiny, slightly pitchy, but freakin' high nonetheless. Regardless of how his normal range tenor "lead" voice sounded at the time, the man could still hit those high notes, clearly not as effortlessly as in his prime, but nonetheless, he hit them. Secondly, it was stated at the time that Levine had to practically drag that performance out of Brian, and that in the end, Brian did it basically out of respect for Terry Melcher, who apparently begged him to do it; if Brian didn't actually do it, and they were all just saying he did, I doubt they'd make THAT story up...rather, they'd make it sound like not only did Brian do it, but he WANTED to do it. Thirdly, as I've stated previously, I've seen all the track sheet notations, and there are multiple Brian vocal tracks notated, including many labeled "hi" - any one (or two, or three) of which could contain those falsetto parts, yet none labeled "Jeff" or "Adrian". Trust me, it's Brian...
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2019, 02:29:34 AM »

More fuel for the fire since this thread started. Claims to be an early mix.

https://youtu.be/xrwCCHY1ibI

Brian is definitely present throughout the mix. You can hear him in the "waaah ooooh" parts and when the backing vocals sing the "Getcha Back". At 1:00 onwards it's distinctly Brian singing the ascending vocal. That distinct sound cannot be replicated by anybody else.

I can't hear other recognisable voices on this recording though. Seems legit to me! The falsetto is Adrian Baker?
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2019, 05:52:45 AM »

Yep that is indeed Brian singing Falsetto. Steve Levine mentions the Getcha Back story in 50 Sides of The Beach Boys. Great book I recommend to Fans!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2019, 06:19:04 AM »

I still don't understand why there is a controversy over the falsetto. It's so obviously Brian.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx