gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 05:59:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What did Bruce do on Smiley Smile?  (Read 17302 times)
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2009, 10:17:53 PM »

Since we're discussing minute details about vocals in this topic, I'd thought I'd bring up something I just noticed but wasn't worth it's own topic: is it just me or does someone say "foda" (yes, "foda"!) at about 1:21 in "Honkin' Down the Highway"? You have to listen real closely to hear it. Those BBs, so crazy...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 10:19:11 PM by Dada » Logged
Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2009, 12:11:45 AM »

Q: What did Bruce do on Smiley Smile?

A: Inhaled.
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2009, 04:36:48 AM »

Since we're discussing minute details about vocals in this topic, I'd thought I'd bring up something I just noticed but wasn't worth it's own topic: is it just me or does someone say "foda" (yes, "foda"!) at about 1:21 in "Honkin' Down the Highway"? You have to listen real closely to hear it. Those BBs, so crazy...

just sounds like slapback from al's vocal to me..
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2009, 04:47:35 AM »

After the May 1967 European tour ended, Bruce went to Ibiza and then to London. He was still there in early June.  His role within the BBs at that time is complicated.  He admitted in an interview at that time that none of the other BBs really socialized much with him...he was the only single one at that time.  You get the feeling that in 1967 he was still sort of seen as a glorified session man at times....it's possible that they rather coldly told him that his services weren't needed for the project...He also still saw himself as a producer...he worked with Graham Bonney at that time and others...He took a larger role in the group in 1968 in the 20/20 period.  I think that even Al had trouble for a few years gaining the full acceptance of "the family"
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

I have a License To Quill

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2009, 06:44:13 AM »

Hmmm. Also the guys had been a tight family group since before the beginning of their career.  group hug I am sure Bruce felt like an outsider for a while. I have learned here that the guys are like a "clique". The thinking "well he's not family" I assume came into all their minds then. It must have been one heck of a challenge for him. Al was Brian's school mate, so he had a slight angle n. Bruce didn't. Alienation can do 2 things, either push you out, or make you fight harder to want to belong. I know this feeling personally.  Poke
JB Wilojarston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2009, 07:55:39 AM »

Hmmm. Also the guys had been a tight family group since before the beginning of their career.  group hug I am sure Bruce felt like an outsider for a while. I have learned here that the guys are like a "clique". The thinking "well he's not family" I assume came into all their minds then. It must have been one heck of a challenge for him. Al was Brian's school mate, so he had a slight angle n. Bruce didn't. Alienation can do 2 things, either push you out, or make you fight harder to want to belong. I know this feeling personally.  Poke

The Beach Boys were outsiders, not Hollywood kids in the way that Terry Melcher, Lenny Waronker, Kim Fowley, Daryl Dragon, Bruce, and Van Dyke Parks were. That's the distinction between Bruce and the Beach Boys.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2009, 11:29:29 AM »

"After the May 1967 European tour ended, Bruce went to Ibiza and then to London. He was still there in early June.  His role within the BBs at that time is complicated.  He admitted in an interview at that time that none of the other BBs really socialized much with him...he was the only single one at that time.  You get the feeling that in 1967 he was still sort of seen as a glorified session man at times....it's possible that they rather coldly told him that his services weren't needed for the project...He also still saw himself as a producer...he worked with Graham Bonney at that time and others...He took a larger role in the group in 1968 in the 20/20 period.  I think that even Al had trouble for a few years gaining the full acceptance of "the family""
Wasn't it round about this time that they tried to ditch him in favour of Billy Hinsche?

Honk! Honk!
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2012, 08:40:08 AM »

I've never been able to hear Bruce singing on FRIENDS. Moreover, he is entirely absent from the songwriting credits on that album.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2012, 08:41:12 AM »

Hmm.  Does anybody else find this album...odd?   LOL

Has anyone ever asked Brian in an interview exactly what he was doing with SS?  Reaction to junking SMiLE?  The "humor" album?  Beach Boys' Stoners Party?  Cool Guy

He "wanted a different mood and approach". Something like that.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2012, 09:37:38 AM »

I've never been able to hear Bruce singing on FRIENDS. Moreover, he is entirely absent from the songwriting credits on that album.

Bet ya he's on the ballsqueezingly high harmony in the title track.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2012, 09:55:35 AM »

Bruce has no writing credits prior to 20/20. I would imagine that he is on Friends, as it would have been tough recording with Mike being missing during much of that time.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2012, 10:26:32 AM »

You can hear him more than clearly on the tag of "Anna Lee the healer".

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2012, 11:09:59 AM »

Bruce is on "Heroes", "Vegetables" (probably just the fade), and "Good Vibes".  According to the session sheets, he's not on the others.  He once said he showed up at the Bellagio house, but thought it silly to sing in the shower and at the bottom of the pool, so he left.  The other guys being stoned probably was not to his liking, either.  Which is why he also didn't go on the "mini-tour" to Hawaii that August.

That guy is such a square...

Agreed. Bruce is, and always has been, boring.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2012, 11:15:03 AM »

I think I remember reading an interview a while back where Brian said something along the lines of "bad vibes", or something like that, and saying he prefers Friends.

Seriously, who doesn't?  Grin
Reading about Friends being Brian's (then) favorite record really deepened my own interest in the Beach Boys, by the way. I used to wonder why BW would prefer a group production over his very "own" records after all the turmoil and quarrels I had read about in his "autobiography".

Me. I prefer Smiley to Friends. I love Friends obviously, but I like Smiley more. The fans that don't 'get' Smiley? I don't get them.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2012, 11:49:39 AM »

It seems like once Mike got his head "straight" with TM in '68, it became a big boost for Al and Bruce. They became Mike's clean-cut buddies, and I think that really changed the dynamic of the BBs.

Before TM, Mike claims he was abusing pot and alcohol. There is the story, for example, of Mike & Brian writing "She's Goin' Bald" while they were stoned and watching a movie one night. I imagine Brian was having a lot of fun, getting really stoned with the Boys, recording in his home, and having  complete artistic freedom. Even Al probably toked up a few times.

Though Smiley Smile bombed, Brian had to know he was releasing a strange record. With Wild Honey, he took a more direct, commercial direction and scored a top 40 and top 20 hit. Sure, it didn't equal the success of albums like Today! or Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!), but it had to be reassuring just to at least get back on the charts. Brian gets ambitious again, bringing in old session players for Friends tracks, improving the production quality, and writing odes to love, peace, and harmony.

However, sometime during all this, Mike comes back from India a new man and everything changes.

Scene: Mike drives over to Brian's spacious new mansion to write a song and talk about his experiences in India. Brian pulls out some hashish and a pipe.

Brian: "Hey Mike, wanna smoke grass? I've got some really good stuff from up north, man."
Mike: "Naw, sorry Brian. It's just ever since I went to India and met the Maharishi with the Beatles, I've been on this transcendental meditation kick and it's been way better for me than any high. You should try it."
Brian: "Transcendental meditation? Yeah, I'll have to try that some day." [Brian lights his pipe] "Hey, what was it like meeting the Beatles?"

Scene: Al is in Brian's living room listening to some new tracks with Carl. Brian pulls out some hashish and a pipe.
Al: "This is great, Brian."
Carl: "Really groovy."
Brian: "Hey Al, wanna smoke some grass? This stuff I just bought is really groovy, a really good, clean head high. You'll like it. It doesn't make me feel all tired like some stuff does." [Brian exhales a huge puff of smoke and laughs.]
Al: "Gee, Brian... I'd like to, it's just... I've been trying to take a break from that stuff. Y'know, clear my head."
Brian: "OK. Cool. I can respect that. Carl?"

A few months later, Friends bombs. There's trouble in paradise again. At subsequent recording sessions, you have the Wilsons in one corner, getting high, and Mike, Al, and Bruce in the other corner, tolerating what's going on but clearly not participating. Soon, Mike is wondering aloud what it might be like if the band took different directions, perhaps writing a retro surf song or relatable love songs, getting away from the strange "day in the life" songs and spacey instrumentals. Al and Bruce like the idea. Carl thinks it might be worth a try - maybe.

And soon enough, Brian stops showing up to the sessions...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 11:50:41 AM by Dada » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2012, 12:40:02 PM »

that's a groovy scene or two you describe, Dada. oh to be a fly on the wall...

I used to think it was Brian, but now I think it's Dennis singing "close your eyes and lean back" in a goofy voice before finishing the rest of the verse.

funny that lance said someone is doing a Bruce imitation. could very well be.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2012, 01:09:54 PM »

Before TM, Mike claims he was abusing pot and alcohol. There is the story, for example, of Mike & Brian writing "She's Goin' Bald" while they were stoned and watching a movie one night.

If you look at how drastically Mike's contributions to the band in terms of songwriting changed for the worse over the next 10-15 years compared to his very good work on "Wild honey", you could wish that he never had stopped. I hate to bring this up but I believe the seeds for the affinity to write lyrics like "spring vacation, good vibration"were planted in those days when he got his head straight but couldn't understand that it's not '63 anymore. I don't mean to support drug taking in any way but I just can't stand Mike's at times radical one sided view of the Beach Boys and what/who they are and what that view brought to the Beach Boys' output.

I don't recall that story about the writing of She's Goin' Bald (is there more about it?). It's funny because the song to me sounds like a stoned "Along came Jones" by Leiber & Stoller and that song is about a movie.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2012, 01:50:43 PM »

I don't recall that story about the writing of She's Goin' Bald (is there more about it?). It's funny because the song to me sounds like a stoned "Along came Jones" by Leiber & Stoller and that song is about a movie.

There might be more detail on what movie (or type of movie) it was, but I can't remember. Also, the bizarre middle section of the song is a 'parody' of "Get A Job" by The Silhouettes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbGthv-dJp4.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 01:52:36 PM by Dada » Logged
bcdam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2012, 12:42:24 AM »

Here's a video of Bruce talking about the SS album. Doesn't really shed light on his involvement, but interesting nonetheless:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUopawsbZIQ&feature=relmfu
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2012, 04:44:34 AM »

Here's a video of Bruce talking about the SS album. Doesn't really shed light on his involvement, but interesting nonetheless:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUopawsbZIQ&feature=relmfu

Where is that interview from ?

EDIT: I like that Bruce also sees the Leiber & Stoller connection
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 04:48:45 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2012, 04:53:11 AM »

Where is that interview from ?
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13441.0.html
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2012, 05:06:05 AM »

Thanks ! Didn't catch that

- Jack Rieley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2012, 07:40:53 AM »

I like that Bruce refers to his hiatus from the Beach Boys as "time off for good behavior".

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Nicko1234
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2012, 08:14:47 AM »

If you look at how drastically Mike's contributions to the band in terms of songwriting changed for the worse over the next 10-15 years compared to his very good work on "Wild honey", you could wish that he never had stopped. I hate to bring this up but I believe the seeds for the affinity to write lyrics like "spring vacation, good vibration"were planted in those days when he got his head straight but couldn't understand that it's not '63 anymore. I don't mean to support drug taking in any way but I just can't stand Mike's at times radical one sided view of the Beach Boys and what/who they are and what that view brought to the Beach Boys' output.

I don`t think Mike`s decline had anything to do with not using drugs. I think it had everything to do with first Do It Again being their biggest hit of that era, then Endless Summer being huge, then the whole nostalgic Brian`s Back/15 Big Ones era. The public had spoken.

Even now it can`t be denied that one reason why TWGMTR has sold so well is because it is nostalgic from beginning to end.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2012, 08:15:47 AM »

Wow. Apologises Bruce for my above comments, he actually comes across really well in this interview and i totally agree with his assessment of Smiley, in particular that Wind Chimes is great, and that GV doesn't fit...
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx