gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681014 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 02:52:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello/random question  (Read 7981 times)
Nicole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2009, 05:21:21 PM »

This is my first post here, so I decided not to spam up the forum with an "I'm new" thread and just introduce myself while asking a relevant question at the same time Tongue I'm Nicole and have been a Beach Boys fan since I was about 6 and my stepdad bought the Pet Sounds box set. I have a vivid memory of sitting on the counter and listening to the backing track of God Only Knows while my stepdad tried to explain to me what the song meant, and not long after that I was singing along to any BB song he played. I've been reading here for a few days and am impressed with all the discussion and information. Look forward to chatting with you all :D

My question iiiiis...on the Today!/Summer Days (and Summer Nights) CD, what are they talking about on the track titled Bull Session With The "Big Daddy"? Something about eating and there was a lamb at the table, "they didn't even burn the hair off of it..." LOL. Just a bunch of random talking? Sorry if it's common knowledge, I just haven't figured this all out yet, lol.

I'm fascinated by those tracks where it's just them talking about stuff...I'd love to find more like that.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 05:31:35 PM »

Hey!

The Bull session track is exactly just a bunch of random talking about the tour, recording and all that stuff, I don't even recall the lamb thing, gotta listen to it again  Roll Eyes

But if you do like the talking tracks and stuff, there's an extended bull sessions track that goes on for like 20 minutes that somebody can hook you up with if you haven't heard it already, it's pretty funny
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 05:33:27 PM by Wild_Honey-In_Stereo » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jason
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 05:45:47 PM »

"I don't like the French but I like their bread." - Brian Wilson

The unedited track is a LOT of fun to hear even if you only listen once.

DICK RISING!
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 11:04:03 PM »

"I don't like the French but I like their bread." - Brian Wilson

The unedited track is a LOT of fun to hear even if you only listen once.

DICK RISING!

Inimitable Dennis. "One of the greatest guys I've ever met in my life." Someone else: (Carl?) "He sent us a telegram". What wonderfully irreverent and carefree humor. (or just
juvenile, depending on your POV. "Earl Tree! Hi Fig!". Cheesy

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 11:44:10 PM »

Bull Session is a staged conversation between the Beach Boys and their friend (and I believe press writer) Earl Leaf.  They are reminiscing about their then-recent 1964 European Tour.  The story about cooking the lamb happened on the tour, as well as the French Bread experiences.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 12:25:25 AM »

Bull Session is a staged conversation between the Beach Boys and their friend (and I believe press writer) Earl Leaf.  They are reminiscing about their then-recent 1964 European Tour.  The story about cooking the lamb happened on the tour, as well as the French Bread experiences.

I wouldn't call him a friend, there is a session for Dance, Dance, Dance where he gets mentioned. Here is the summary thanks to c-man (see here):

"Dennis asks "Is Earl Leaf still going with us again?". When told that he is, Dennis disparagingly comments "Oh f**k". Carl responds "Oh come on, he's a great guy", but either Al or Brian (it's hard to tell which) says "He's a f**king jerk"."

By the way, wasn't Dick Reising a real guy who worked for Capitol?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 02:50:21 AM »

Yes!

http://norimuster.com/history/capitolpeople.html
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 11:04:55 PM »

That website is pretty much the only mention of Dick Rising on the internet besides Beach Boys message boards questioning if he's real.

Therefore, we don't have enough proof.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 12:36:01 PM »

Earl Leaf was a hollywood press agent and wrote a column about music in Teen magazine - he gave lots of column space to the Beach Boys and it was in their interest to befriend him. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 02:08:51 PM »

That website is pretty much the only mention of Dick Rising on the internet besides Beach Boys message boards questioning if he's real.

Excuse me ?  There's a recent interview with someone who remembers him, and his place in the Capitol hierachy in the 50s, with a photo, and that's not enough ? There isn't that much documentary proof for the existence of Jesus.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 02:54:49 PM »

The picture was taken in 57-58 and the guy looks late 30s-early 40s which meant he was probably named around 1920 and 'Richard' at that.
Perfectly innocent for the time.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 11:35:13 PM »

Excuse me ?  There's a recent interview with someone who remembers him, and his place in the Capitol hierachy in the 50s, with a photo, and that's not enough ? There isn't that much documentary proof for the existence of Jesus.

It's one website, one person. The photo doesn't say his name is Dick Rising, that's just a caption on the website. None of that is proof, it could've easily been fabricated. Not saying that it is fabricated, but you should never use just one random website as definite proof of anything.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 10:39:39 AM »

It's one website, one person. The photo doesn't say his name is Dick Rising, that's just a caption on the website. None of that is proof, it could've easily been fabricated. Not saying that it is fabricated, but you should never use just one random website as definite proof of anything.

And I bet you believe the Apollo landings were all faked too, and that Brian Wilson writes every single note of his recent releases. Jeeeeeeeeeeeeesus !

SG7
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 12:00:12 PM »

I remember hearing that for the first time Nicole and being like "WTF???"
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 05:53:50 AM »

And I bet you believe the Apollo landings were all faked too, and that Brian Wilson writes every single note of his recent releases. Jeeeeeeeeeeeeesus !

I don't even know if you're trying to imply that I'm really skeptical or really gullible.

I mean, the website is probably true, but one falsehood is all it takes on the internet for bad information to spread.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 10:17:25 AM »

one falsehood is all it takes... for bad information to spread.

That pretty much describes the MO of every major belief system since time began. The Donation of Constantine, anyone ?

holeypeacoat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 11:34:20 AM »

imo your comparisons to support your point are a bit of a stretch man.  carly denise prefers a bit more evidence to substantiate the claim than yourself.  so what? 

talk about my way or the hwy..jeez.  Roll Eyes
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 01:20:14 PM »

If other people remember him, how can he not exist?!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 02:19:49 PM »

Check out the rest of that website - there are letters to and from Rising.

Ah, silly me - they're faked, of course.  In fact, the whole website is a hoax - there never was any Capitol Records. Grin

This internet thing is just shameless, isn't it ?

Actually, I don't exist either.  Shocked

Wilsonista
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 03:43:43 PM »

Actually until about 1995 when I joined the Pet Sounds Mailing List, I never thought Dick Reising was a "naughty " name.  Of course until I joined said list, I thought Hey Little Tomboy was innocent.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 05:16:15 PM »

http://www.richardreising.com/

Another Dick?

It happens...Getoverit!!!
holeypeacoat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 06:17:15 PM »

Check out the rest of that website - there are letters to and from Rising.

Ah, silly me - they're faked, of course.  In fact, the whole website is a hoax - there never was any Capitol Records. Grin

This internet thing is just shameless, isn't it ?

Actually, I don't exist either.  Shocked

i really have respect for your years of information gathering and knowledge andrew - make no mistake.  gents like yourself have done a massive amount for the factual (as opposed to the yards and yards of fantasy) BB legacy.  i know you're a fella who checks his facts twice. 

so being the information gathering sultan you are it should take no less than a wave of your hand to produce something in the vein of a birth certificate, a tombstone photograph or a photo of you, Dick and Murry (all sporting a thumbs up) to bring this long pondered question to a peaceful and gentlemanly close.  The ball is in your court sir.  Tongue

what? ho!
holeypeacoat

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 06:18:21 PM by holeypeacoat » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2009, 10:10:51 AM »

OK, then.

Billboard, August 2nd 1952, carried a special supplement celebrating the 10th anniversary of Capitol Records, and on page 77 of same there's a rundown of the branches of the company. In the Dallas entry is this:

"The promotional interest is reflected in the background of the present branch manager, Richard Rising. Tho' trained as an accountant, he became a New Orleans radio announcer in 1947, then manager of a wired music service. He went on to do promotional work, and eventually selling, for the Capitol distributor in New Orleans before taking the Dallas managership in 1952".

Grin

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2009, 10:38:24 AM »

Careful...now people may want DNA testing so they can trace the paper that the Billboard magazine was printed on back to the original tree from which it was made...

LOL

There hasn't been this much fuss about "Dick" since my honeymoon.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2009, 10:46:14 AM »

TMI, Billy - TMI...  Cool

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx