gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681510 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 05:03:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paramount Theater 11-26-93 Show info help please  (Read 2200 times)
coldlimepizza
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2006, 02:58:43 AM »

Hello, Id like some info about this show and its overall quality of the recording. I understand that there are lots of digital artifacts on this show. Pops & snaps and such. Is this true? also mini gaps between the songs.
PM me with info or post, but Id like to know about this.
Thanks
coldlimepizza
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 01:33:01 PM »

So does a clean copy worth looking for?
 Vegtables without a glitch on the word "Beet".
Should I do a clean up on the version I have?

some help please?
Thanks
Jason
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 04:43:18 PM »

The show's a good one. Soundboards of Beach Boys shows are few and far between, and it's good to have the few we have.

Performance-wise, the show is exceptional. The backing band is crisp and punchy and compliments the vocals, which are wonderful (Carl is in rare form here). The song selection is top-notch.

Soundwise, the show is perfect, except for the nagging gaps. I don't know of any digital artifacting, maybe that's from a bad CDR copy.

If you're looking for good soundboard Beach Boys shows, I'll direct you back to 1971 with the shows at Syracuse University and the Fillmore East on the closing night. There is a tape going around of a Beach Boys show at Nassau Coliseum in 1974, taped off the radio. There is a 1980 show going around of the band in Philly, recorded from the radio (a better performance than Knebworth). The 1985 4th of July shows were recorded off the soundboard and broadcast on the radio, they are excellent performances, albeit short ones.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 01:56:43 PM »

OK.   To the point.  Which soundboard shows are "out there" and could someone give dates/venues so that one could identify  these shows by date if one were to locate one?   There are far too many bad audience recordings out there.

(PMs welcome.)
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 03:26:04 PM »

Always a good subject. Certainly not a comprehensive list but here's a start - only quality soundboards are listed:

* Chicago ’65 – Arie Crown Theater, Chicago, either  the  March 26 or March 27, 1965 show. Part show, heavily reworked in the studio. Brian present.

* Michigan ’66 - University of Michigan, Ann Arbour, Michigan. October 22, 1966. 2 shows recorded. (EDIT: Dates & venue fixed)

* Leid In Hawaii ’67 – Honolulu International Center, August 25, 1967.

* November ’67 Tour – Four shows in circulation. Masonic Auditorium, Detroit MI, November 17, 1967. Penn Theater, Pittsburgh PA, November 22, 1967. Back Bay Theater, Boston MA, November 23, 1967. Plus one other date unknown. "Wild Honey Tour" with lots of rarities.

* Big Sur ’70 – Big Sur Music Festival, Monterey CA, October 3, 1970. Two recordings in circulation - one is good quality, one is poor.

* With The Grateful Dead ’71 – Fillmore East April 27 1971.

* Syracuse University ’71 – Syracuse University, New York, NY (not sure of date).

* Carnegie Hall ’72 – Carnegie Hall, New York NY, November 23, 1972. Part of show but excellent show – a must have!

* Nassau ’74 - Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale New York, June 14, 1974.

* Melbourne ’78 – Myer Music Bowl, Melbourne, Australia, either March 8 or 9. Part show from TV broadcast.

* Perth ’78 - Perth Entertainment Centre, Perth, Australia, March 15, 1978. The night after the infamous “drunk” Carl show. Often quoted as being “February 14 at the Western Australia Cricket Ground” but is not. Also note that two tracks GOK and Good Vibrations from the previous night are in circulation and are often misquoted as being from a “Sydney” show at the Sydney Sports Ground.

* Philadelphia ’80 - Philadelphia Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA, April 18, 1980.

* Washington DC, July 4 1980 – Part show from a TV broadcast.

* Jamaica ’82 – Jamaica World Music Festival, Montego Bay, Jamaica, November 26, 1982.

* Live At Hardy’s ’91 – 4th July, 1991

* Paramount Theatre Rehearsals ’93 – Pre show rehearsals. Excellent sound and intimate performances  – a must have.

* Lorelei Germany ’93 – Lorelei, Germany, June 19, 1993.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 10:04:30 PM by TonyW » Logged
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 06:22:07 PM »

* Michigan ’65 - Michigan State University, Ann Arbour, Michigan. October 22, 1965. 2 shows recorded.
Hold on. Michigan State isn't in Ann Arbor.  The show was at the University of Michigian, and it took place in 1966, not 1965.  How could they have played "Good Vibrations" in '65?

TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 10:01:39 PM »

D'oh! on the date - ofcourse it's 1966 (have edited above post).

There you go, I repeated the error on the SOT Live Box where they list it as Michigan State University, Ann Arbour wheras if I had checked AGD & Ian Rustens wonderful research at the Bellagio site I would have reaised that the Michigan State University is in Lansing whereas the University of Michigan is in Ann Arbour ...  Michigan State University / University of Michigan .... I feel like I'm in a Monty Python sketch .... the Judian People's Front /The Peoples Front of Judia ...
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx