gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 11:48:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Band's] best album, and why.  (Read 15955 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2009, 03:24:16 PM »

The title says it all: name an album and what you consider their best album, and why. Then others can either riff on that choice, chime in on that same band with a different answer, or move on to a new band.

No Beach Boys-related stuff. They have their own damn thread. And while I'm not going to on this post, if you want to venture off the most obvious bands, please do.

The best album by Queen is A Night at the Opera That's the kind of choice that is almost certainly unpopular, as I've noticed that people in recent years tend to talk up the non-obvious choices. Frankly, I'm convinced that's usually an exercise in either hipsterism or boredom relief.

A Night at the Opera is simply magnificent: Queen at their cartoonish best. From obviously, wonderfully commercial pop ("You're My Best Friend") to the surprisingly commercial ("Bohemian Rhapsody") to longtime concert favorites ("'39") to the over-the-top rockers ("Sweet Lady") to the camp charmers ("Seaside Rendezvous," "Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon,"), it's all here. The lack of coherence as we jump from one thing to another without warning makes for what ends up a very memorable album. If I hear one of those songs ending (say, on the radio), I immediately think of how the next song comes in on the album, and am shocked when that's not what the DJ plays.

Also, Queen were fantastic melodists, among the best in pop music history, and they lived up to it here. More than that, they didn't disappoint on the production front, doing even more interesting, layered and textured work than on the previous albums (which were no slouches themselves). Some of it doesn't age well from my perspective (the vocal break in "The Prophet's Song" with its ping-ponging across the spectrum), but things like "Good Company," with the amazing Dixieland-on-guitar, are brilliant.

I really like Queen. A lot. I think they released a hell of a lot of great albums, and probably half a dozen stone classics. But let's never get too caught up in giving the others their due credit if it means passing over their best.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 07:45:07 PM »

I'll help you out Luther. Been listening to Harrison. Big time.

His best album is All Things Must Pass. This album is almost bursting with great songs. Many of which were either written, turned down or glossed over during the Beatles years. Everything on here is well arranged and performed, even if Spector (the murderin' bastard!) does put a bit of reverb on it. Everything has a strong melody. Everything is well sung.

And there's three freakin' sides of great songs. Everything from the admitted big single "My Sweet Lord" to delicious rockers, "Wah Wah," "What is Life," religious anthems, "Awaiting on You All," a beautiful love song co-written with Dylan, "I'd Have You Anytime," a great, seminal Dylan cover, "If Not For You," to undiscovered gems like "Run of the Mill" or "Apple Scruffs." (Another great thing is that Harrison had loads of gems that didn't make the album. Three of which, "Woman Don't You Cry for Me" (came very close to making the album), "Beautiful Girl" and "See Yourself," ended up on 33 1/3 (one of the unheralded gems of the Harrison catalogue). )

There is also a terrific reissue of this album, with classic Hari liner notes, beautiful sound quality (eliminating some of the Spector over-touches) and the terrific bonus "I Live for You," with 1970 steel guitar and new elements.

This is one album that just keeps on giving.

This is called the best Beatle solo album and while I hold a soft spot for Band on the Run and Plastic Ono Band, it's definitely one of the prime contenders.

WILL DO A LESS CONVENTIONAL ACT SOON

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 11:45:19 PM »

I'm torn between Make It Big by Wham! and Music from the Edge of Heaven.

The first on has a breezy Abba meets motown, summery pop feel, while the other has more of a leather-clad mysogynistic cocaine feel.

lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 11:46:06 PM »

Oh, and Still Cruisin' best BB album. THough that was the beginning of the short slide downhill.
MBE
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 12:44:28 AM »

His best album is All Things Must Pass. This album is almost bursting with great songs. Many of which were either written, turned down or glossed over during the Beatles years. Everything on here is well arranged and performed, even if Spector (the murderin' bastard!) does put a bit of reverb on it. Everything has a strong melody. Everything is well sung.

And there's three freakin' sides of great songs. Everything from the admitted big single "My Sweet Lord" to delicious rockers, "Wah Wah," "What is Life," religious anthems, "Awaiting on You All," a beautiful love song co-written with Dylan, "I'd Have You Anytime," a great, seminal Dylan cover, "If Not For You," to undiscovered gems like "Run of the Mill" or "Apple Scruffs." (Another great thing is that Harrison had loads of gems that didn't make the album. Three of which, "Woman Don't You Cry for Me" (came very close to making the album), "Beautiful Girl" and "See Yourself," ended up on 33 1/3 (one of the unheralded gems of the Harrison catalogue). )

There is also a terrific reissue of this album, with classic Hari liner notes, beautiful sound quality (eliminating some of the Spector over-touches) and the terrific bonus "I Live for You," with 1970 steel guitar and new elements.

This is called the best Beatle solo album and while I hold a soft spot for Band on the Run and Plastic Ono Band, it's definitely one of the prime contenders.

Hey I really like what you wrote here. I have a vinyl of the reissue and it's so good (with the bonus cuts and booklets etc.) I don't pull out the original much at all. Even though I don't think his voice was as good as John or Paul's I feel his solo stuff was a lot more consistent then theirs.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 01:05:25 AM »

i concur. absolutely epic album, even if having Isn't It A Pity twice is a bit overkill. I prefer the first version meself

Shall think of one shortly. Maybe a Flaming Lips/Vu album. i've been overplaying them somewhat......

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 01:29:29 AM »

I never understood what people see in Queen. I never will. Queen was shite.

So, as to the question:

The Byrds' best LP is 'Younger Than Yesterday', despite the presence of the dreadful 'Mind Gardens'. It represents the apex of that band's unique blend of uplifting stuff and beautiful melancholia. The production (Gary Usher) is great. It has their best Dylan cover on it.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
MBE
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 01:37:06 AM »

Well I will do Kenny Rogers and the First Edition. "Monumental" from 1973 was simply a great rock album. Combining a wide variety of styles, it ranged from a Rogers written rocker about prostitute "Morgana Jones" , to the nostalgic "42nd Street". The later compared the New York of 1973 to the Broadway of the 1930s. As he would do on later hits such as "Coward of the County", Kenny cloaked some mature subject matter with a gentle delivery. The Dr. John inspired medley of "The Hoodooing Of Fannie DuBerry" and "The Ritual", were the LPs centerpiece. Though in tune with other music of the day, "Monumental" was one of their biggest sales failures in the US , but in New Zealand it went gold. Kenny's rocking nursery rhyme "Lena Lookie" went to number one and the group embarked on three New Zealand tours over the next two years. I admit I wrote part of this for a bio I did but it sums up the album pretty well. I also want tosay the playing on here was superb as was the crisp production. Another one to look into is "The Ballad Of Calico" a 2 LP concept album that is more group oriented. It's about a real silver mining town that flourished in the late 1800's.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 06:34:00 AM »

Is younger than yesterday the one that came out in early 67? If so, I agree.
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 07:22:38 AM »

I'm right there with ya.  I consider All Things Must Pass to be one of THE great albums.

I'll pick an easy one: Odessey and Oracle by the Zombies.  Not only their best album, but one of the best albums of the 60s.

"Jeff, you care." --BW
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 07:30:40 AM »

Yes. We got: 'Time Between', 'Renaissance Fair', 'Girl With No Name', 'Have You Seen Her Face', 'My Back Pages', and 'Everybody's Been Burned'.

Exquisite.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 12:36:02 PM »

Hey I really like what you wrote here. I have a vinyl of the reissue and it's so good (with the bonus cuts and booklets etc.) I don't pull out the original much at all. Even though I don't think his voice was as good as John or Paul's I feel his solo stuff was a lot more consistent then theirs.
It's been a real pleasure to re-listen to his calatouge in the last few weeks--reminded me that while he did write some duffer every now and then--he was very gifted and original as a songwriter...Brainwashed or Cloud Nine would be my second favorite. His two live LPs are also very good.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 02:44:07 PM »

OK, I have a couple responses to make to previous comments, but not a lot of time to expand on them. Guess they'll have to just simmer for a bit.

1) Harrison's All Things Must Pass: I agree that it's his best ... but in keeping with my oft-stated position, it doesn't warrant its length. (Rare to extinct is the double or triple album that I think wouldn't have been a better piece of work as a single one.)

2) Queen is shite? That's just not true. Not cool. Damnit. I adore Queen in a way I love very few bands. Beatles, Beach Boys, VU, Dylan, Waits ... that's about it. Heartical, it's fisticuffs for us.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 10:34:06 PM »

Hey TdHabib, I noticed you didn't give mention to Let it Down in your review, what do you think of that tune?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 10:54:59 PM »

Yes. We got: 'Time Between', 'Renaissance Fair', 'Girl With No Name', 'Have You Seen Her Face', 'My Back Pages', and 'Everybody's Been Burned'.

Exquisite.
Yeah, that album is definitely their best, I agree with you.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 11:57:09 PM »

OK, I have a couple responses to make to previous comments, but not a lot of time to expand on them. Guess they'll have to just simmer for a bit.

1) Harrison's All Things Must Pass: I agree that it's his best ... but in keeping with my oft-stated position, it doesn't warrant its length. (Rare to extinct is the double or triple album that I think wouldn't have been a better piece of work as a single one.)

2) Queen is shite? That's just not true. Not cool. Damnit. I adore Queen in a way I love very few bands. Beatles, Beach Boys, VU, Dylan, Waits ... that's about it. Heartical, it's fisticuffs for us.

Yeah Luther. There is a problem. Definitely. Let's go outside, cuz' Queen were shite.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 05:22:54 PM »

I suppose if you don't like bands whose members can write, arrange, sing and play (all with a sense of fun), then they would have to be shite. Perhaps if you're the sort to buy into the myth of "authentic," too.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 08:07:43 PM »

Hey TdHabib, I noticed you didn't give mention to Let it Down in your review, what do you think of that tune?
Cool song, love the horn and string arrangement. Harrison sounds so young...

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 01:13:12 AM »

I suppose if you don't like bands whose members can write, arrange, sing and play (all with a sense of fun), then they would have to be shite. Perhaps if you're the sort to buy into the myth of "authentic," too.

Nah Luther, I don't think that far about it. It is purely instinctive. I love the BBs, I don't love Queen. Technically they were proficient, good production values, etc. But I don't like Freddie's voice, to start with. I hate heavy guitar solos, they bore me to death.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 11:11:02 AM »

I tend to agree with you on the guitar solo front (although I loved them when I got into Queen, back in the early 90s). But if I am going to hear them, I'll take a Brian May solo--musical as they are--over a shredder type any day.

But for Freddie, well, that's just going to have to remain a difference. I love his voice. Love it. Love love love it.

Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2009, 11:22:44 AM »

I'll go to bat for Brian May.  An expert at orchestrating guitar parts, totally unique sound, and interesting note choice. 

"Jeff, you care." --BW
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 07:25:47 AM »

The Shaggs: Philosophy Of The World

(perhaps the most pretentious AND funniest LP title ever...)

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 08:27:04 AM »

Velvet Underground's Loaded. Unfairly maligned as too poppy and not the "real" VU without Cale or Mo. But I love it the most. (Granted, all four original albums and the stuff that made VU are all five-star albums in my book.)

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 09:11:16 AM »

(Rare to extinct is the double or triple album that I think wouldn't have been a better piece of work as a single one.)
I mainly agree but All Things Must Pass is one of my rare exceptions; along with the White album and a few others.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2009, 09:25:24 AM »

Even White Album, for me, would've been better as a single LP. I actually proved my point to myself a couple years back, making the album as I'd have liked it best.

But as McCartney said in Anthology, "it's the bloody Beatles, it's the bloody White Album, it's great, shut up." And of course, I know damn well that had it only been a single disc and any of those songs not been used somewhere, we'd be clamoring for them and questioning their exclusion.

For me, what it really comes down to is what an album is supposed to be. If it's just a container for a bunch of songs, then it's irrelevant: you can have a 4-disc set, a 7-disc set, whatever. But if it's a collection of songs intended to be listened to start to finish, then I think doubles and triples miss the mark with me.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx