gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:35:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: www.beachboys45.nl  (Read 89729 times)
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2009, 05:39:29 AM »

You can upload the images (for free) on http://www.tinypic.com and just link them here!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2009, 06:22:31 AM »

hey smile holland,

are we going to stick with the "starline" label only? are we sticking with USA release only? or are we going for all we can find worldwide? i have  45's from other countries that have a cardboard like pic cover that are on a reissue series called "dance for ever" then an a & b side with bb songs on them.  and what about those capitol 45's on the '70's orange only label..but not the ones imprinted with "from endless summer" or "spirit of america", that have the "starline" lineups. are we including those? also the red/orange capitol target label.
just want to know what i should be looking for when i start to go thru some of my 45 collection.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 09:36:01 AM by Steve Mayo » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2009, 09:37:55 AM »

HERE'S SOME COLLECTABLES REISSUES. THESE ARE SMALLER FILES. THE OTHERS I HAVE ARE TOO BIG

i have some of those but in a black background..not blue

JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2009, 09:48:37 AM »

hey smile holland,

are we going to stick with the "starline" label only? are we sticking with USA release only? or are we going for all we can find worldwide? i have  45's from other countries that have a cardboard like pic cover that are on a reissue series called "dance for ever" then an a & b side with bb songs on them. same lineups as the starline issues i think. would have to go find them. and what about those capitol 45's on the '70's orange only label..but not the ones imprinted with "from endless summer" or "spirit of america", that have the "starline" lineups. are we including those?
just want to know what i should be looking for when i start to go thru some of my 45 collection.

My vote right now is to concentrate on the U.S. 6000 series Starline issues right now.  There's a ton of them alone, and there are factors that affect label variations that haven't even been mentioned yet - the big one being where the 45 was pressed.  Capitol had four pressing plants - L.A., Scranton, Jacksonville, Il, and Winchester, VA - and it's probable that different label variations were pressed simultaneously by different plants.  I was doing a fair amount of web searching yesterday and have come up with this very general order and dates associated with the various label variations (this does not take into account further variations including song publishers):

1.  September 1965 - January 1967: Green Swirl
2.  January 1967 - ?: Lt. Green Promo
3.  January 1967 - 1972?: Red/White Target
4.  1972? - April 1977: Beige/Tan/Avocado with “C” Logo (starting in September 1975 may have “All Rights Reserved” print on rim)
5.  April 1978 - November 1981: Beige/Tan/Avocado with “Dome” Logo
6.  November 1981 - Spring 1986: Blue Label
     a. with “A” prefix and incorrect “Stereo” designation
     b. with “A” prefix and no “Stereo” or “Mono” designation
     c. with “A” prefix and correct “Mono” designation
     d. with “X” prefix
7.  July 1983 - Summer 1988: Rainbow
8.  Summer 1988 - ?: Purple

The way to differentiate between the pressing plants is stamped in the runout grooves (from a post on Steve Hoffman's site):

1. A machine stamped triangle with the initials IAM indicates that the record was pressed at the Scranton, Pennsylvania plant.
Again per Mr. Spizer, "IAM" stood for the International Association of Machinists' union whose members worked at the Scranton plant. It first took effect on Scranton pressings around February, 1963. Prior to then (and after NAMI's takeover), an abstract anvil-type symbol was used.

2. A star (*) indicates that the record was pressed at the Los Angeles, California plant.

3. An 0, either stamped or hand written, indicates that the record was pressed at the Jacksonville, Illinois plant.

4. A line that branches into a V at the end (looks like a long stemmed wine glass) was supposed to be a Winchester rifle and indicates that the record was pressed at the Winchester, Virginia plant.

And the full matrix number as scratched or stamped into the runout grooves will also give an indication of the order of label variations at a particular plant.

Okay, so let's go!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 09:50:39 AM by JeffRetro » Logged
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2009, 11:01:46 AM »

digging into the 1st box of many here goes......u.s. starline only....

01) imr/bttys beige   "C" logo winchester, va
02) best of the bb vol 1  little lp starline series....says danbury, conn.
03) surfin usa/sd blue A-6094 winchester, va
04) hmr/dywd green swirl  can't tell what the mark is
05) fff/wdffil red/white target la, calif.
06) surfin usa/sd green swirl can't see any runout markings
07) ss/409 green swirl  can't see any runout markings
08) sg/ldc  a-6107 blue winchester, va
09) fff/wdffil green promo la, calif.
10) gv/ba red/white target scranton, penn
11) hmr/dywd rainbow has 6-20 in runout groove
12) imr/bttys beige "c" logo la, calif.
13) fff/wdffin beige "c" logo winchester, va
14) imr/bttys red/white target scranton, penn
15) tli/skmtw green swirl scranton, penn
16) ddd/twots beige "c" logo la, calif.
17) ldc/sg beige "c" logo winchester, va
18) hmr/dywd beige "c" logo can't tell marking sea of tunes pub
19) hmr/dywd beige "c" logo runout groove looks something like this.. [ ]   irving pub
20) ldc/sg green promo la, calif.
21) ddd/twots green promo la, calif.
22) surfin usa/sd rainbow winchester, va
23) wigu/skmtw beige "c" logo la, calif.
24) surfin usa/sd beige "c" logo la, calif.
25) w/lh beige "c" logo la, calif.
26) fff/wdffil beige "c" logo la, calif.
27) gv/ba red/white target can't make out marking but looks like 2 dots   . .
28) ddd/twots red/white target scranton, penn
29) ba/lh beige "c" logo winchester, va
30) fff/wdffil starline has a winchester, va marking but it is scratched out
31) ss/409 beige "c" logo la, calif.
32) ba/lh blue  a-6259 no markings like you list
33) ss/409 beige "c" logo no markings like you list
34) lsn/tlp blue x-6277 winchester, va
35) ldc/sg beige "c" logo la, calif.
36) cg/lhrw blue a-6289 winchester, va
37) bttys/imr rainbow x-6059 winchester, va

« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 09:56:45 AM by Steve Mayo » Logged

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2009, 11:05:22 AM »

could those ray pattern markings be a "star" ?

if so, then i will edit my post above

JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2009, 11:49:42 AM »

could those ray pattern markings be a "star" ?

if so, then i will edit my post above

I'm having to work right now, so I'll look at your list in a little while.

The "star" designating the L.A. pressing plant actually just looks like a spread out asterist and, yes, like rays (6 of them).

The single I'm looking at right now is actually not a Starline, but a promo copy of Murry Wilson's "THe Plumber's Tune," and the matrix in the runout is groove 45-58045-F-1.

the "F-1" must designate an initial run, because another promo here of Capitol P 2144 - "I Only Live Twice" by Tokyo Folk Crusaders - that has the matrix 45-46254-F-1.  Anybody ever heard this?  This has to be one of the most screwball records Capitol or anyone else ever released!  police
JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2009, 12:03:35 PM »

And there's another way to determine whether a green swirl label is East Coast (Scranton) or West Coast (L.A.).  Check out the fonts on these.  The "Surfin' Safari" and "Ten Little Indians" Starlines are East Coast pressings, the other two West Coast.  Notice the font is a little taller and more spread out on the East Coast pressings (and the catalog number larger as well).

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 12:07:24 PM by JeffRetro » Logged
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2009, 12:24:08 PM »

O boy, did I start something or what?  Roll Eyes  Here's me thinking "Could be a nice series to collect, but what's out there...", and I'm already having a hard time keeping up the pace that JeffRetro, TOKENSURFER, and Steve Mayo started...  Grin  Great! I won't let this discourage myself. Want to know (and -why not?- obtain) ALL of it.

Thanks guys, this topic is getting more interesting every minute.

hey smile holland,

are we going to stick with the "starline" label only? are we sticking with USA release only? or are we going for all we can find worldwide? i have  45's from other countries that have a cardboard like pic cover that are on a reissue series called "dance for ever" then an a & b side with bb songs on them.  and what about those capitol 45's on the '70's orange only label..but not the ones imprinted with "from endless summer" or "spirit of america", that have the "starline" lineups. are we including those? also the red/orange capitol target label.

I think we should stick to the topic's title for now. So it's US and STARLINE to begin with. But if this series has been portrayed well enough, I wouldn't mind a second series of other US-reissues.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 12:44:27 PM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »

couldn't resist adding this one to anyone's attention. Not a 45, but Starline nonetheless. Obviously a re-issue:
http://cgi.ebay.nl/BEACH-BOYS-ALBUM-BEST-OF-THE-BEACH-BOYS-AMERICAN-COPY_W0QQitemZ230245588544QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Records?hash=item230245588544&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1399%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

OK THEN BEACH HEAD AND SMILE HOLLAND. I CAN SEND YOU THE SURFIN USA  BROWN STARLINE  ALL THE  4 VARIATIONS I HAVE . TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA IF YOU LIKE TO YOUR EMAIL..  THEY ARE 250 K EACH.  TOKENSURFER

I think I pm'ed you a couple of days ago on that, but if you haven't received it, than it's probably my bad, and I'll happily send you another one.   Smiley
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 01:03:07 PM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2009, 02:09:21 PM »

And here's some examples of the first beige label (with "C" Capitol logo).  The HMR pictured is typical and could have been manufactured anytime during the period this label was being used.  The BTTYS pictured has the "All Rights Reserved" verbiage added to the bottom rim (it was always on a second line on this style of label); this means it was pressed no earlier than September 1975.  The George Harrison 45 shown - not released until 1977 - demonstrates that not all singles pressed after 1975 contained the "All Rights Reserved" verbiage; it may have been dependent on the pressing plant (they generally used printers local to the plants, so it's not surprising that there are differences).

« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 02:10:34 PM by JeffRetro » Logged
TOKENSURFER
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2009, 03:24:04 AM »

THANKS JEFF FOR THE PICS  YOU'VE SEEN MY MISPELT HELP ME RONDA.  AND YOU HAVE THE CORRECT SPELLING AMD I HAVE  THE OTHER TWO  ON IRVING.
YOU SHOULD N'T FORGET  THE SEA OF TUNES OR IRVING PUB ON THE LABEL. I FEEL THAT'S AN IMPORTANT INGREDIENT IN NARROWING DOWN THE YEAR IRVING CAME OUT.
BUT THE RED & WHITE TARGET OR BULLSEYE ENDED IN '68 FOR THE BB.  THAT I KNOW I WOULD STAKE MY CANDIX 331 OR MY ACETATE OF "I DO" ON IT. THE FACT THAT BEACH HEAD SAW A PHOTO OF 6132 GOOD VIBES/BA ON A BROWN STARLINE AND IF IT TURNS OUT TO BE TRUE AND I DO NOT DOUBT BEACH HEAD VERACITY THEN THAT COPY CAME OUT FOR A BRIEF TIME IN 69.  I HAVE NEVER SEEN IT AND I HAVE  LOOKED ALL OVER THE US  IN MY CAMPER FOR BB VINYL FROM BIRMINGJHAM TO RALEIGH TO NEW ORLEANS TO AUSTIN TO SALT LAKE CITY SANTE FE MONTANA WYOMING  AND CALIFORNIA,  SEATTLE, ETC... I DID COME ACROSS THE ULTRA RARE FRIENDS COVER BLACK & WHITE SUNSET INSTEAD OF THE USUAL COLOR SUNSET. AND OF COURSE I MADE SURE IT HAD THE PRINTED IN USA LOGO AND THE #16 WAS CIRCLED IN THE CORNER. I FOUND IT IN COSTA MESA BUT I STUPIDLY DID NOT BUY IT BECAUSE THE VINYL WAS TRASHED. IT WAS THE LAST PRINTING OF FRIENDS AND CAPITOL CUT CORNERS WHEN IT CAME TO ISSUING BB.
IRVING ACTUALLY BOUGHT SEA OF TUNES IN NOVEMBER 69. BUT WASN'T OFFICIALLY FINALIZED UNTIL SOMETIME IN EARLY '70.
IT'S FROM '69-'76 BEIGE/BROWN/TAN/OLIVE. IT WOULDN'T MAKE BUSINESS SENSE  FOR IRVING TO LET IT CONTINUE TOO LONG WITH SEA OF TUNES PUB PAST '70. UNLESS ONE PLANT WAS DOING IT BY MISTAKE. HOWEVER....
LSN 5096 IGA 5174 CG5464 SJB5602 TRANSITIONED FROM YELLOW SWIRL TO RED/ORANGE TARGET TO PLAIN ORANGE TO PURPLE THEN THEY ALL SWITCHED TO BLUE STARLINE WITH CAPITOL DOME.
LO AND BEHOLD I JUST NOTICED MY PURPLE LABEL  HAS SEA OF TUNES LISTED INSTEAD OF IRVING ON THE ABOVE MENTIONED ISSUES. WHICH DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE.  SO DOES THE PLAIN ORANGE LABEL. BUT ALL MY BLUE STARLINES HAVE IRVING.  SO THIS HAS TO TELL US SOMETHING.
THIS MUCH I DO KNOW  WHEN I MOVED TO THE STATES  TO DENVER CO. IN '77 I WENT TO WAX TRAX RECORDS  WHERE THEY HAD THE BLUE STARLINE ISSUES. AND I BOUGHT A COUPLE OF THEM.  THAT'S WHY I RECALL IT  SO WELL.  I HADN'T SEEN THEM IN CANADA BEFORE.  SO I DO KNOW THEY WERE ISSUED AT LEAST BY '77 THE YEAR I ARRIVED IN DENVER. AND I CAN'T GO BY THE BEATLES ISSUES.  I CAN ONLY BY WHAT I BOUGHT AND DID WHEN I FIRST ARRIVED IN THE STATES IN 77.  I RECALL BUYING MY FIRST CAPITOL RAINBOW. STARLINE IN 81 0R 82.   THERE'S NO REFERENCE POINT FOR ME TO PIN IT DOWN ANY BETTER THAN THAT FOR THE RAINBOW .  BUT BACK TO THE BLUE STARLINE I MET THIS FEMALE DJ QUITE UNUSUAL BACK IN THE MID 80'S. AND SHE HAD NOTHING BUT BLUE STARLINES  OF THE BEACH BOYS.  I WAS AMAZED AND I ASKED HER WHERE DID YOU GET ALL THOSE BB BLUE STARLINES.  SHE TOLD ME , IT WAS  WHEN SHE FIRST STARTED AS A DJ IN THE  LATE 70'S AND THAT'S ALL THAT  WAS AVAILABLE TO BUY AT THE TIME .   I RECALL TRYING TO STRIKE A DEAL WITH HER TO GIVE HER SOME OF MY ORIGINAL YELLOW SWIRL FOR HER BLUE COPIES BUT I CHICKENED OUT. I JUST COULDN'T TRADE MINT YELLOWS FOR WORN BLUE COPIES. I'LL ADMIT I SMOKED SOME POT THEN BUT  THE DETAILS OF THE EVENTS I JUST MENTIONED ARE AS CLEAR AS A BELL.
I HAVE 35 COPIES OF THE BROWN STARLINE THE MAJORITY ARE SEA OF TUNES AND A HANDFUL ARE IRVING. SO WHAT YEAR DID IT CHANGE OVER TO IRVING. IF YOU CHECK YOUR ORANGE ISSUES OF SURFIN USA/SHUT DOWN OR HAWAII/LITTLE HONDA, ETC... THOSE CAME OUT IN 74 AND '75.  SO I CHECKED IT'S IRVING  ON THOSE ISSUES THEN WE CAN PINPOINT THE YEAR BROWN STARLINE USED IRVING. I HOPE THAT MAKES SENSE BY NO LATER THAN '75 I WOULD THINK. BRAD ELLIOT'S SURF'S UP IS AT TIMES CONFUSING TO GO THRU BUT HE DOES HAVE THE BLUE STARLINES MENTIONED . HIS BOOK CAME OUT IN '81.

JEFF THOSE GREEN SWIRLS LOOK IMMACULATE. I'M ENVIOUS. ONLY MY HELP ME RHONDA 6081 LOOKS AS CLEAN AS THOSE GREEN SWIRLS.   AND I AM NOT TRYING TO STEP ON YOUR TIMELINE JEFF. I JUST WANT TO GET TO THE BOTTOM  WHERE THE FACTS ARE . AND YOU GUYS ARE REFRESHING MY MEMORY.  I'M FIGURING IT OUT AND IT WILL GET CLEARER. I HAVE APPROX 75  STARLINES SO THAT SHOULD HELP. PLUS 3 PROMO STARLINES 6105 6106 6107
I WILL TRY AND POST  LABELS  ON  THAT SITE AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS

TOKENSURFER
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2009, 05:00:23 AM »

I COULDN'T FIGURE HOW TO USE THAT TINYPC SITE COPY AND PASTE. I KNOW HOW TO COPY AND PASTE BUT  NOT HOW TO LINK IT BACK TO HERE.  I GUESS WILL STICK TO THE STARLINE SERIES AS JEFF SUGGESTED. I POSTED SOME STARLINES ON YOUTUBE TOKENBEACHBOY54. IT SHOULD BE OK. I'LL CHECK IT OUT NOW IN FACT.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2009, 05:40:03 AM »

when you go to www.tinypic.com this should do the work:

1. use the "browse"-button to search for the picture-file you'd like to upload  (as an example I took the Help Me Ronda pic you recently uploaded)
2. click on the green "upload now" / "nu uploaden" button.
3. when the upload is done (goes very quick), you'll receive a few links
   - HTML for websites
   - Image code (IMG) for forums
   - URL for e-mail etc.
   - a direct link for lay-outs

4. Use the image code in this case it is [ IMG] http://i44.tinypic.com/osri2c.jpg [/IMG]

5. and voila, should get this picture (see below) as a result.

I hope this works for you. It does give you the opportunity to upload bigger pictures than a direct attachment on this board (with a max of 128kb).

TOKENSURFER
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2009, 12:02:13 AM »

AGAIN DOING THINGS FROM MEMORY IS NOT ALWAYS AN ACCURATE AFFAIR.  THE SURF'S UP BOOK HAS THE PURPLE NOT STARLINE BUT THE LAST ISSUE OF 5096 5174 5464 5602 COMING OUT IN '78.  AND ONLY CALIFORNIA GIRLS WAS MENTIONED.  I'VE GOT 3 OUT OF 4. THEY ALL HAVE SEA OF TUNES MENTIONED INSTEAD OF IRVING.  IT COULDN'T HAVE TAKEN THAT LONG  TO CHANGE.  ENDLESS SUMMER SPIRIT OF AMERICA ISSUES ON THE PLAIN ORANGE  HAWAII BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL LITTLE HONDA  SHUT DOWN ALL HAVE IRVING  PUB AND THEY CAME OUT FROM 74-75.  SO I CAN'T IMAGINE SEA OF TUNES LASTING UNTIL 78.
JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2009, 04:37:51 PM »

AGAIN DOING THINGS FROM MEMORY IS NOT ALWAYS AN ACCURATE AFFAIR.  THE SURF'S UP BOOK HAS THE PURPLE NOT STARLINE BUT THE LAST ISSUE OF 5096 5174 5464 5602 COMING OUT IN '78.  AND ONLY CALIFORNIA GIRLS WAS MENTIONED.  I'VE GOT 3 OUT OF 4. THEY ALL HAVE SEA OF TUNES MENTIONED INSTEAD OF IRVING.  IT COULDN'T HAVE TAKEN THAT LONG  TO CHANGE.  ENDLESS SUMMER SPIRIT OF AMERICA ISSUES ON THE PLAIN ORANGE  HAWAII BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL LITTLE HONDA  SHUT DOWN ALL HAVE IRVING  PUB AND THEY CAME OUT FROM 74-75.  SO I CAN'T IMAGINE SEA OF TUNES LASTING UNTIL 78.

I think you're going to find that the publisher listed is the worst indication of the date of the various pressings, although it should give you the order of issue, at least for each individual pressing plant.

Since Starlines were simply reissues to keep the songs available for people who wanted them in 45 RPM format there probably wasn't a whole lot of attention paid to them.  Most seemed to - initially at least - use the same label copy as the yellow/orange swirl originals with the original issue date added.  Any mistakes made - and caught, big distinction there - were probably not correctled until a new print run of labels was needed (and that's providing someone remembered the error by that time).  Even then only one plant might print corrected copies since they all used local printers for their labels.  No record company is going to waste money reprinting new corrected labels for relatively unimportant issues like these unless they absolutely have to, and I seriously doubt Irving Music even knew about the errors.  These most likely flew well under their radar, and as long as they were getting paid...

So, yes, I can see some of the Sea Of Tunes issues running all the way through the series, at least until the beige issues with the "Dome" label, at which time things seem to have been finally sorted out, which carried over to the blue labels which seems to have used the same typesetting with just the label color changed).

As far as the 1974-75 issues associated with ENDLESS SUMMER and SPIRIT OF AMERICA, well, those were treated as "new releases" and were a different story.  Those two albums were major catalog releases, and i'm sure there was research done in those cases to make sure all the credits were in order (and then of course that same info was used on the singles).  That's most likely why those have the right publishers listed.

Oh, and did you mention a "Shut Down" on the orange label?  If you mean Capitol 3924, "Surfin' U.S.A.," that actually has "The Warmth Of The Sun" on the flip, not "Shut Down."

See what a can of worms we've opened here?   police
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 04:45:29 PM by JeffRetro » Logged
TOKENSURFER
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2009, 11:52:25 PM »

CORRECTION NOTED. IN MY HEYDAY I NEVER WOULD'VE MADE THAT MISTAKE.  BUT I HAVEN'T HAD A SERIOUS DISCUSSION ON THIS  TOPIC.SINCE I LEFT THE STATES 15 YRS AGO.  BUT I'M GOING TO ROUST UP  MY  BEACH BOY BUDDY. I KNOW HE HAS PLENTY OF STARLINES. I'M THE ONE THAT GOT HIM INTERESTED IN GETTING EVERYTHING BB. SO  I'LL GET HIM TO SEND ME A FEW EXAMPLES OF STARLINES I DON'T HAVE.   
ONCE THEY SWITCHED TO THE PURPLE FROM THE ORANGE FOR LSN IGA SJB CG. IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN IRVING BY THEN. BUT I DON'T BELIEVE THE ISSUE DATE IN THE SURF'S UP BOOK '78. THIS INFO CAME FROM PETER REUM WHO HAD A RENOWN COLLECTION OF BB VINYL AND PHOTOS. HE LIVED IN GREELEY COLORADO AND I LIVED IN DENVER IT TOOK ME SIX TRIPS TO HIS PLACE TO SEE HIS WHOLE COLLECTION. OVER 12 HRS JUST FOR THE PHOTOS ALONE. I'M NOT KIDDING.  I WAS THERE IN 83 TO 84 LOOKING AT HIS STUFF. THERE WERE NO BLUE STARLINES IN HIS COLLECTION.  HE HAD A BUNCH OF BROWN STARLINES AND GREEN SWIRLS AND THE RED & WHITE TARGETS. BUT NO BLUE IN 83. SO WHEN ELLIOT WROTE HIS BOOK HE DIDN'T  HAVE ANY KNOWLEDGE OF BLUE STARLINES  BECAUSE PETER REUM DID NOT HAVE ANY. LIKE I SAID  I GOT TO DENVER IN LATE 77 SO IT COULD'VE BEEN EARLY 78 NO LATER  THAN THAT I PICKED UP SOME BLUE STARLINES.  I PAID ATTENTION TO IT BACK THEN . I COLLECTED   THE BLUE. I HAVE AMENDED MY TOKENBEACHBOY54 YOUTUBE SITE. I HAVE ADDED BRIAN RELATED MUSIC UNRELEASED. YOU WILL BE SURPRISED WHEN YOU HEAR IT.   I HAVE ADDED MORE BLUE STARLINES IN THE MIX AS WELL.
Dogbone51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2009, 06:11:31 PM »

I would like to add....

As for the Purple Labels...there were two different variations.

The EARLY Purple, from about 1979 to Early 1982  were:

CG/LHRW       Capitol 5464
Medley/GOK   Capitol A-5030  (the ORIGINAL Issue of it)
IGA/DWB        Capitol 5174
LSN/TLP         Capitol  5096
SJB/YSGTM     Capitol  5602
DWB(Everlys & Beach Boys)b/w Tequila Dreams(Dave Gruisin&Lee Ritenour) Capitol B-44297
   (This is the original issue--using basically the same label)

Other than the two Original issues above, these all used the ORIGINAL Serial numbers and their Pairings.   I do not believe there is a "Starline" notation on these in any form.

These had a Darker Purple background with Silver Font, and a variation on the Dome Capitol Logo--I believe it's slightly bigger (from memory).  I'm not looking at one..so I can't give you exact details.  Sorry.

Later, in the Mid 1980s..from approx 1984 onward...

These were released...on a Purple STARLINE Label.

Medley/GOK   A-5030  (A different label than above--and a reissue)
IMR/BTTYS     Capitol X-6059
HMR/DYWD    Capitol X-6081
SUSA/SD        Capitol X-6094
SS/409          Capitol X-6095
FFF/WDFFIL   Capitol X-6106
SG/LDC          Capitol X-6107
BA/LH             Capitol X-6259
   These Next FOUR replaced the issues above, with  the Serial Number coming from the Light Blue labels with the "X" and the "A" Prefixes:
LSN/TLP         Capitol X-6277 
IGA/DWB       Capitol X-6280
CG/LHRW       Capitol X-6289
SJB/YSGTM     Capitol X-6295

and lastly

GV/WIBN       Capitol X-6330

More info to come..when I feel like typing some more stuff.

Dogbone

TOKENSURFER
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2009, 11:00:30 PM »

DOGBONE DO YOU HAVE THE IGA 5174 PURPLE   CAN YOU SCAN A PHOTO OF IT ON HERE. I HAVE THE OTHER 3 PURPLE.  CG IS GLOSSY PURPLE THE OTHER  TWO ARE FLAT OR MATTED LABEL .  IT'S A LOT OF WORK I WILL SCAN THE REST OF MY STARLINES  BROWN AND PURPLE. I HAVE  ALL MY BLUE STARLINES ON TOKENBEACHBOY54 MY YOUTUBE SITE. PLUS A COUPLE OF RARE BW ACETATES. YOU WILL BE PLEASANTLY SURPRISED. INCLUDING THE WHOLE VERSION OF A TRACK THAT WAS ONLY PARTIAL FROM  IN THE BEGINNING  BB CD.  I AM MISSING THE  BLUE 6105/ 6106 AND 6059.  ANYBODY HAVE THESE THREE.  IMA.  THE PURPLE STARLINE CAME OUT IN 88.I RECALL BUYING THEM AS SOON AS THEY CAME OUT.  I AM MISSING A BUNCH OF  RAINBOW STARLINE.  I ONLY HAVE 5 .  LOOK  FOR THE BEST OF VOL'1 STARLINE LP ON TOKENBEACHBOY54

Dogbone51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2009, 11:18:23 PM »

JeffRetro wrote up this list:

These are all STARLINE Labels

1.  September 1965 - January 1967: Green Swirl
2.  January 1967 - ?: Lt. Green Promo
3.  January 1967 - 1972?: Red/White Target
4.  1972? - April 1977: Beige/Tan/Avocado with “C” Logo (starting in September 1975 may have “All Rights Reserved” print on rim)
5.  April 1978 - November 1981: Beige/Tan/Avocado with “Dome” Logo
6.  November 1981 - Spring 1986: Blue Label
     a. with “A” prefix and incorrect “Stereo” designation
     b. with “A” prefix and no “Stereo” or “Mono” designation
     c. with “A” prefix and correct “Mono” designation
     d. with “X” prefix
7.  July 1983 - Summer 1988: Rainbow
8.  Summer 1988 - ?: Purple

I have a couple more to add---not STARLINE I believe, but reissue labels nonetheless...And I know someone did mention the RED Label from the mid-1970s..with the Gold Capitol on the bottom edge...like  the Surfin' USA/The Warmth of the Sun Capitol 3924..as well.  There are at least 4 reissues on that label which probably duplicate the FOUR I've listed below for this ORANGE AND RED Target Label.  Some also say "Mono" on them, others say "Stereo".

As for the  ORANGE AND RED Target Label

It probably started late 1969 and was around until at least 1971 or 1972.  It's not a STARLINE label (again, I'm not looking at a copy)...but there are various variations, most notably the "C" Type Logo,

1) Black Logo on White Background (so the white highlights the "inner" C lines). 
2) Black Logo with NO White. 
There are a couple variations as well on the DOME label. 

The other thing, many of these have the "non-slip ridge" which circles the label (these are there to prevent slipping, when you're playing a stack of 45s and one drops on top of the one below).  Most of you already know..this is the label which "Breakaway/Celebrate the News" Capitol 2530 (promo and stock) and "Cottonfields/The Nearest Faraway Place" Capitol 2765 (promo and stock) appear originally.  In Canada, these two singles (B/CTN and C/TNRP), as well as "I Can Hear Music/All I Want To Do" Capitol 2432 and "Bluebirds Over the Mountains/Never Learn Not To Love" Capitol 2360 appears on this same label (But NOTE:  I Can Hear Music and Bluebirds in CANADA both also appear on the Orange and Yellow Swirl Label as well--the reason I point this out, is it appears in Canada, they started using this label sooner than in the USA). 

Anyway..I can confirm these releases on this ORANGE AND RED Target Label.  I think there's one or two more:

LSN/TLP       Capitol 5096
IGA/DWB      Capitol 5174
CG/LHRW    Capitol 5464
SJB/YSGTM   Capitol 5602

I can't confirm, but I've been told that there "might" be Promo's on these, where it's essentially the same label, but it says somewhere "Promo-Not For Sale"..and there's a "P" in the serial number ie Capitol P-5174.  But I've never seen one.  I personally doubt they exist in Promo form. 

And one other label to mention:

There's a WHITE Capitol Label--"For Jukeboxes Only"  which I don't believe has a "Starline" notation on it as well.  It's from the early 1990s..I think about 1993.  It's the release of

The Man With All The Toys/We Three Kings    S7-72438-19765-79

This came and went quickly, and I believe it was issued (I can't remember as I'm typing this off the top of my head) in conjuction with a soundtrack from a Movie which may have had the A-side on it.  I don't remember for sure.  I'm probably wrong.

More to come..

Dogbone

Dogbone51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2009, 11:25:08 PM »

DOGBONE DO YOU HAVE THE IGA 5174 PURPLE   

I have it..I would have to find it....I have no idea where it's at the moment. I'm getting most of my info from a book I have, where I've written down the titles and the label colors etc...  I believe it's a glossy Purple Label, and it has slightly larger font than the "For Jukeboxes Only" issues which came out later.  I'm also fairly confident, it does NOT have the "non-skid ridge" like some of the others which are "flat" purple labels.   At some point, I'll try to find it, and see if I can provide you with a scan. 

Dogbone
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2009, 11:40:45 PM »

Dogbone, welcome on this board and thanks for adding this useful information. A load of information already, and still a lot of additions daily. Who would've thought that?

Dogbone51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2009, 11:41:59 PM »

I AM MISSING A BUNCH OF  RAINBOW STARLINE.  I ONLY HAVE 5 .  LOOK  FOR THE BEST OF VOL'1 STARLINE LP ON TOKENBEACHBOY54

I can confirm these RAINBOW STARLINES to exist--I have them all in my collection:

IMR/BTTYS     X-6059
(I also have a misprint of this. It has the label, but no font printed on the B-side-It's blank)
HMR/DYWD    X-6081
SUSA/SD        X-6094
SS/409          X-6095
DDD/TWOTS  X-6105
FFF/WDFFIL   X-6106
SG/LDC          X-6107
LH/Wendy     X-6205
BA/LH            X-6259   Yes, Little Honda repeats on this series as well
LSN/TLP        X-6277
IGA/DWB      X-6280
CG/LHRN        X-6289
SJB/YSGTM     X-6295
GV/WIBN       X-6330
MEDLEY/GOK   A-5030  I believe this was the FIRST Re-issue of the Medley Single

Of course, there are two Original Issues on this label as well:

RNRTTR/GV(Live)       Capitol B-5595   With PS
CD/LL                        Capitol B-5630

Hope this helps.

Dogbone
Dogbone51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2009, 11:51:43 PM »

Dogbone, welcome on this board and thanks for adding this useful information. A load of information already, and still a lot of additions daily. Who would've thought that?

Thanks...Nice to be part of the discussion.  I will answer what I can.  But forgive me if my posts are sloppy etc.  I'm trying to figure out how to use this website and the Reply Button etc....and add quotes etc..and perhaps, I may add a link or two with some scans.  My scanner is "sh*t" right now....so..I'll have to deal with it, before I can scan anything.

I have a lot of info to add.  Except for a few...I believe I have a fairly complete collection of most of the reissue singles by the Beach Boys in the USA.  Little by Little, I'll print up the lists of the issues I can confirm. 

Just be patient.  I do have a life outside of the Beach Boys. 
I've been collecting for over 35 years.   I'm nuts about this stuff.   And I've learned a lot of things by reading the posts as well.  The STEVE HOFFMAN info about the different printing plants and the notations is interesting.  But I have to admit, it is pushing it way to far.  How could anyone have every issue from every pressing plant?  That would take years.

Dogbone
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2009, 12:14:18 AM »

Just be patient.  I do have a life outside of the Beach Boys. 
I've been collecting for over 35 years.   I'm nuts about this stuff.   And I've learned a lot of things by reading the posts as well.  The STEVE HOFFMAN info about the different printing plants and the notations is interesting.  But I have to admit, it is pushing it way to far.  How could anyone have every issue from every pressing plant?  That would take years.

Don't worry, we all have.  Grin

I thought it would be an easy task to collect a series of Starline-reissues. I hadn't expected al those variations (and different pressing plants - should've thought of that though) to be honest. But I find it most interesting, not in the least because all contributors here on this topic seem to be adding to each others contributions.

I think I should try to edit all information in this topic into a readable survey.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx