gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:04:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Rare Pictures (picture heavy, sorry)  (Read 39237 times)
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2006, 06:36:42 AM »

sex-e!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2006, 07:28:00 AM »

amosario, that's a cool pic of Brian in your avatar. Do you have a bigger version of it? And, where is it from? I never seen it before.

The things she does to me when she makes love to me...
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2006, 07:53:31 AM »

JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2006, 09:44:34 AM »

I don´t know, but Brian looked terrible "wrong" during the Landy-years. Some guys just shouldn´t be thin, imo.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2006, 12:23:08 PM »

my caption on the Landy era photo - "When it comes down to it, addiction is all you get"

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2006, 02:27:10 PM »

Anyone else out there got this....

[attachment deleted by admin]
andy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2006, 10:59:52 AM »

Anyone have a nice-sized photo of Brian, Pet Sounds Sessions, in a suit with the glasses on?
Rockard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2006, 12:01:24 PM »

Better pick of the eyechart..

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2006, 01:34:22 PM »

Brian Wilson looks like he was put there by use of Photoshop. Am I right or is it real? What year was this picture taken?

That shot is taken in the back yard at Bellagio. It's the on-camera source of lighting that makes Brian and everyone look as if they are not part of the shot. It was late in the day and the flash was needed to highlight the group. Photoshop was years away from being invented. The steps the guys are sitting on lead up to the pool through a hedge-lined pathway.  There were several three-step landings on the trek to the pool area.  That day everyone was in the studio when a record company photographer showed up for some picture taking.  You can tell from the dress that no one took this photoshoot seriously. Brian is in his housecoat, Bruce doesn't have shoes on, Dennis is in his bathing suit, and Mike even forgot his hat! Taking a quick break from the studio, everyone dashed to the backyard for some shots.  The dogs were back there too.  You can see my dalmation, Mr Spock II, wandered into the photo as it was being taken. Judging from the dog's size and the project were were working on in the studio I'd place this photo close to 1973. ~swd
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2006, 01:46:37 PM »

Mr Spock II

Trekkie, are you?  Cute name.
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2006, 02:14:52 PM »

It is 1970 though - I think the picture was in Rolling Stone at the time - also of course, Bruce left in 1972....
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2006, 02:21:16 PM »

Bruce left in 1972....

But in our hearts, he's always been around.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2006, 07:29:59 PM »

It is 1970 though - I think the picture was in Rolling Stone at the time - also of course, Bruce left in 1972....
Thanks, I'm not good with exact dates, but Bruce was still around after '72, just hang'n. ~swd
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2006, 08:04:38 PM »

Mr Spock II

Trekkie, are you?  Cute name.
If you read my profile you would remember that I worked as a soundman on the original STAR TREK series at Paramount.  I was told that "Mr. Spock" was owned by leonard Nimoy when I first applied for my dog's name from the AKC, so he is "Mr. Spock II."  Besides having the run of Brian Wilson's back yard, he was the only dog allowed into A&M Studios (on Sunset), he was once kissed by Lynda Carter (Wonder Woman) and went swimming more than once in Elton John's pool. A fantastic dog he was!! He travelled the country from coast to coast. I took him flying many times where we did wing-overs so he could experience weightlessness.   ~swd
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2006, 08:33:36 PM »

That's gotta be 1971.  Alan was still clean shaven in 1970.  He started growing his first beard in 1971, and the pic matches the look he was sporting around the time they were recording Surf's Up (according to pix in the Silver Anniversary book).  Also, Bruce had the Fu Manchu stache in 1971 as well, and Carl's hair was longest like that in 1971.
runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2006, 11:11:26 PM »

Stephen W. Desper, thanks for clearing that up. :D

I like it when I come across band photos (w/Brian) between 1967 an 1975.

A little on the printed, but never used, ORIGINAL ''SMILE'' ALBUM:

What's the deal with the printed (but never used) album jackets. The back has all the Beach Boys (minus Brian) in their normal pin-stripe button shirts (didn't they get past this look ie Pet Sounds). You mean to tell me, Brian didn't want his photo to appear on the album?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 11:18:00 PM by runalot » Logged

The things she does to me when she makes love to me...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2006, 12:07:22 AM »

I've always wondered about that,too.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2006, 04:03:23 AM »

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2006, 04:16:25 AM »

Brian Wilson looks like he was put there by use of Photoshop. Am I right or is it real? What year was this picture taken?

That shot is taken in the back yard at Bellagio. It's the on-camera source of lighting that makes Brian and everyone look as if they are not part of the shot. It was late in the day and the flash was needed to highlight the group. Photoshop was years away from being invented. The steps the guys are sitting on lead up to the pool through a hedge-lined pathway.  There were several three-step landings on the trek to the pool area.  That day everyone was in the studio when a record company photographer showed up for some picture taking.  You can tell from the dress that no one took this photoshoot seriously. Brian is in his housecoat, Bruce doesn't have shoes on, Dennis is in his bathing suit, and Mike even forgot his hat! Taking a quick break from the studio, everyone dashed to the backyard for some shots.  The dogs were back there too.  You can see my dalmation, Mr Spock II, wandered into the photo as it was being taken. Judging from the dog's size and the project were were working on in the studio I'd place this photo close to 1973. ~swd

Photo was in the Tom Nolan 2-parter that featured in Rolling Stone #94, 10/28/71 &  #95 11/11/71, along with a shot of Brian wearing the exact same threads taken in The Radiant Radish. The interviews were conducted, in the main, during the late stages of recording Surf's Up (reference is made to Brian's 29th birthday) Excellent articles, and the source for much info.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 04:23:23 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2006, 04:33:42 AM »

Every single time that I see this picture, I look at Mike and wonder "That´s the guy who thought that SMiLE is too weird?!?!?!"

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
trumpet sounds
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2006, 07:03:09 AM »

“Around that time, there was another striking  example of the inaccuracy of the myth that Brian Wilson was a reclusive, non performing Beach Boys.
In the Winter of 1970, Brian went on a  short tour with the group, Brian recalled :
“When Mike Love was sick, I went with the group up to Seattle and Vancouver and the Northwest for some appearances. I was scared for a few minutes in the first show-It had been a while since I was infront of so many people. But after it started to cook I really got with it. It was the three best days of my life.”

While Brian’s 1970 tour is a little known fact, Mike Love illness is even less known. According to Tom Nolan’s 1971 Rolling Stone Article, Mike was hospitalised following a three-week fast that allowed Mike to eat only water, fruit juice (out of his ever-present and occasionally dangerous jug), and a little yogurt. As Nolan wrote, Everything got very amplified during the fast, he became quite sensitive to all positive and negative forces around him. He began tolook at things rather metaphorically. The birds in the sky seemed to have a purpose in flying southwesterly, and if he could try a little harder perhaps he could talk to the birds...”

David Leaf, from “The Beach Boys” 1985, Courage Books.

http://dermojet.club.fr/Seattle.html
trumpet sounds
« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2006, 07:26:36 AM »

trumpet sounds
« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2006, 07:29:44 AM »

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2006, 08:16:26 AM »

great pics and stories all around! Smiley

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson