gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 04:47:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Rare Pictures (picture heavy, sorry)  (Read 39235 times)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2006, 09:22:40 AM »

Ooopssss....
runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2006, 09:28:17 AM »

Great pics!!!

(even that Carly Simon one was cool). :D

The things she does to me when she makes love to me...
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2006, 09:30:20 AM »

I thought these were supposed to be rare.  I mean, I like looking at pictures, but let's get rarer?
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2006, 10:02:05 AM »

Here's a scan of the upper half of the eyechart pic.  If you want the entire eyechart, let me know and I'll add it on.  Sorry it's not the best quality...my copy of 20/20 isn't prisitine (and has a nice cutout-bin hole to boot!).  Of course, I couldn't scan in the whole thing at once; I had to piece it together.  I can't get rid of that line caused by the fact that the cover could not lie entirely flat on the scanner glass...if I get a change later, I'll play with it a little more and see if i can improve it.

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2006, 10:03:47 AM »

Love the Sunflower outtake pics.

Got the Rolling Stone article date wrong - was indeed 1971. My brain is rotting due to information overload.....(it is, I forgot both my house keys and coat last week!).

At least I remembered it WAS from Rolling Stone. As has also been pointed out, that's much more a 71 look with the facial hair.

Also agree about Mike looking like a complete freak in those days, as opposed to the rest of the band. Funny how things change....

al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2006, 10:11:24 AM »

Here's another one from the Contrast magazine shoot. Brian in his Gary Oldman period...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2006, 03:12:41 PM »

Frightening, really...

« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 03:27:42 PM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2006, 03:52:45 PM »

Denny's smashed!

Mikey's shooting daggers at him!

Grin
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2006, 04:13:30 PM »

[I don't know how to get these photos to size properly, so you’ll need to use the slider to move from one side of the photo to the other.  In order to provide a slider for each photo, I’ll post them separately so the slider is on the bottom of each photo. So this story is told in five sections.

Sometime in the 70’s we went on a tour to Australia and New Zealand.  The New Zealand part of the tour was about 10 days.  We stayed at one hotel for the entire trip and the Beach Boys gave a week’s worth of shows each night in the Hotel’s theater.  Here is how they looked at that time and a partial view of the theater.

====================================================
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2006, 04:14:17 PM »

During the time we were there cast and crew had much free time to visit around the countryside and do tourist things. As you can tell from this next photo, everyone was unwinding and getting into the beautiful surroundings of the country.

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2006, 04:15:01 PM »

One day, I recall, Bruce had made friends with a beautiful girl who just happened to be the daughter of one of the richest families in New Zealand.  The family had invited the guys and a few of us up to their estate. We were bussed up the side of a small mountain. It was a wonderful place.  We were served a delicious lunch outside on a large flat end of a hill.  The view from this hill was of both sides of the country, that is, two bodies of water, looking down on very green hills from hundreds of feet above where thousands of sheep grazing in herds of about fifty to one-hundred.  The house was behind us, a three-story granite totter structure. We ate several fruits and vegetables not known in the USA, but plentiful in New Zealand, plus exquisite lamb; about five courses.  It was there that Carl and I discovered how good New Zealand wine can be. 

Back at the hotel it was full house after full house with time for autographs. In the following example Alan is doing the honors.

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2006, 04:15:38 PM »

We spent a lot of time just waiting for the crowd to build and to finish in the dinning room.  . . . All dressed up and no stage to go to.

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2006, 04:16:58 PM »

On the third to the last night a film crew showed up for sound check in the afternoon.  They were there to film the show for a special TV show (I wonder if that show is now in the vault?) There were three cameras.  One in the back, one hand held taking close-up shots and one on a track in the orchestra pit running the length of the stage. We ran through the show so the film director knew what the show was like and to provide sound levels for the film soundman.  Everything was set for the show that evening. 

Then right before the show was to start, a younger Carl, who was in charge of the presentation order decided to move the song order around thinking it would give a better build to the show.  His intentions were good, but he did not know that the director had blocked out his camera moves based on the original order of songs.  It was a disaster – the film crew was frustrated.  Not knowing the songs and who sang lead on which part, when they thought Carl had a lead, it was Mike – so the camera position was all wrong. When Bruce sang the camera would be on Al, etc.  After the show the director was pissed as hell.  To compromise, they decided to come back the next night to get some shots that were missed and that seemed to smooth it over. Nevertheless, New Zealand was one of the highlight trips of my times touring with The Beach Boys.

Here’s the group ready to perform and Mike is pointing out his favorite Beach Boy.
  ~swd

Jason
« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2006, 04:17:14 PM »

Wow, a rare look at Mike without some kind of covering on his head.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2006, 04:19:25 PM »

Hurray, photos that are actually rare on the rare picture thread.

Those are great, Steve.  Mike's suit is fantastic, as are his shoes.  Did Dennis always look that uncomfortable in a blazer and tie?
Jason
« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2006, 04:20:30 PM »

Mr. Desper, these are fantastic pictures. Thank you for posting them.
SurferGirl7
« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2006, 04:29:26 PM »

Great pics. Not bad pics of a few of them.
Jason
« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2006, 04:30:57 PM »

You're loving the pictures of Bruce with the crazy hair, aren't you?
SurferGirl7
« Reply #118 on: February 12, 2006, 04:33:36 PM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 12, 2006, 04:37:08 PM »

Stephen, thank you so much for posting these rare pix from New Zealand! Some nice ones of all the guys, Bruce in particular. I'm certain these photos must be from early 1970, if you say it's the '70s, as Carl grew his beard in mid-1970.
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2006, 04:40:21 PM »

Damn, Mike, put the hat back on!!! Shocked
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 12, 2006, 06:16:28 PM »

Awesome stuff! Bruce looks especially cool, methinks. It's a shame they didn't perfrom live like that, as I find the matching suits a little bland. They look better with their own individual looks.

Watch out for snakes!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 12, 2006, 06:57:57 PM »

bruce has some slick kicks on...

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2006, 07:04:12 PM »

I agree with MDH -- it's gotta be 1970.  Badman makes reference to a New Zealand tour that year 4/18-22 and Australia 4/23-5/13.  Bet your bottom dollar that's the tour in question.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 12, 2006, 07:04:56 PM »

Great pictures Mr. Desper  Grin

I love Bruce's sneakers in those pics. Those are the kind i'm going to get once my current shoes wear out enough.

Mike is dressed like some old business man from 1860.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx