gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 08:05:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Details on "Summer Love Songs" (NEW STEREO MIXES)  (Read 24415 times)
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2009, 12:25:12 PM »

Personally, I say remix and release it in this form on a new Hawthorne-esque set.

That's what I want.  I want another Hawthorne set.  We'll never see another one of those.  The marketing-monsters are probably asking;

"who the f@$k released that!?  They're so, like, fired! That was at least 2 dozen compilations we could have made, like...'Summer Sweating' and 'Summer Chaffing'.  Damn."

This is really starting to get me angry. Do I need to get 2007's Warmth of the Sun and 2003's Sounds of Summer now too?  And what about that damn, over-priced Singles box?  I do believe there's room for better fidelity than the 2fers I have.  Also, remixing with today's technology can greatly improve the fidelity too.

Did I just answer my own question?

Huh

While I completely agree with you, it must all come down to the numbers...financial reasoning. A compilation in the style of 'Hawthorne' would take a lot of work to put together; locating tapes, complete remixing of some tracks, mastering...everything. But it would be the greatest benefit to the music.

But why make the investment in all of that when only hardcore fans would buy it? The cost wouldn't balance out the way they'd like it to.

As far as the commercial side of the music industry, the Beach Boys were dead after the '60s; the new compilation shows exactly that.

This new compilation will give the record company the most bang for their buck because the casual listener may buy it, and keep the hardcore fans interested enough (or at least from rioting in the streets...).
SG7
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2009, 12:26:54 PM »

:Yawn:

At least we get Lady as official .
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2009, 12:44:11 PM »

While I completely agree with you, it must all come down to the numbers...financial reasoning. A compilation in the style of 'Hawthorne' would take a lot of work to put together; locating tapes, complete remixing of some tracks, mastering...everything. But it would be the greatest benefit to the music.

But why make the investment in all of that when only hardcore fans would buy it? The cost wouldn't balance out the way they'd like it to.

As far as the commercial side of the music industry, the Beach Boys were dead after the '60s; the new compilation shows exactly that.

This new compilation will give the record company the most bang for their buck because the casual listener may buy it, and keep the hardcore fans interested enough (or at least from rioting in the streets...).

You're absolutely right.  I'm sure they've got charts and powerpoint presentations (with more charts) that show the threshold of sales.  I'm sure the research shows there's zippy cost benefit to doing a Hawthorne, like you said.  Especially with the success of the Summer-series...which guarantees a top spot on Best Buy's "new release-rack."  Hopefully once that well dries, they'll compile these nice mixes and rarities on a single comp.  Maybe an off-season two-disc'er  could find its way out....with minimal technical effort, since the mixing and mastering had been done on the Singles box and these single disc, greatest hits buffets.

That singles box could have been 3 or 4 discs, dammit.  With a real book, that included essays about the tracks and great info on the sessions.  Throw in another disc of the dozen or so remixes from these summer discs -- there's your 120 dollar box set.

SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2009, 01:38:43 PM »

once that well dries

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 01:55:29 PM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2009, 02:00:48 PM »

Seems everyone would like another hawthorne.   But I'll wager that many here could create their own hawthorne 2.  I would just like to hear it done professionally and see it nicely packaged.  I think I would need new ears and a better stereo to appreciate any new "mixes"
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2009, 02:25:32 PM »

"Fallin' In Love" is worth the price of admission....

Yeah, pretty much.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 02:30:15 PM by Glenn Greenberg » Logged

Glenn
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2009, 03:14:38 PM »

Which reminds me: whatever happened to the projected second box set of singles? Did the first volume not sell as well as was hoped? How many was it realistically expected to sell?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2009, 03:24:09 PM »

Seems everyone would like another hawthorne.   But I'll wager that many here could create their own hawthorne 2.  I would just like to hear it done professionally and see it nicely packaged.  I think I would need new ears and a better stereo to appreciate any new "mixes"

what would we put on a new Hawthorne, anyway? I'd go for, in no paticular order

1) Some actual Smile stuff (you release a rarities comp, and leave out the absolute zenith of stuff that's never been released. Nice one)
2) More acappella - 20/20 or some more Sunflower in particular
3) More Dennis
4) Less stereo, really. It's ok, but at the expense of, say, unreleased stuff it's frustrating.
5) Something beyond 'Surfs Up'
6) More Dennis
7) And maybe some more Dennis Tongue

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2009, 03:51:24 PM »

If they really found the complete multis for Shut Down Vol. II and maybe even more of the 1963 stuff that went missing, then a lot of that material should be released on a new Hawthorne style compilation. 

I want to hear, like, every backing track on those tapes.  And I'd love it if they released a complete SOT style presentation of the sessions as an internet exclusive or something, but that's not happening.

Can we get the lowdown on what tapes were found.  How'd were they found?  What's on them?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2009, 10:01:54 PM »

Which reminds me: whatever happened to the projected second box set of singles? Did the first volume not sell as well as was hoped? How many was it realistically expected to sell?

The box was reportedly a limited edition of 10,000... and outside of the fan world, I never heard of any proposed 2nd box.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2009, 10:03:51 PM »

If they really found the complete multis for Shut Down Vol. II and maybe even more of the 1963 stuff that went missing, then a lot of that material should be released on a new Hawthorne style compilation. 

They didn't find all the multitracks.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sciencefriction
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2009, 06:09:19 AM »

The Beach Boys world is probably the greatest epic sea adventure ever.  Eventually they have to find the rest of the treasure or discover that is has been destroyed, but one day they have to find more because the discovering never seems to end.  I'll just collect the pieces for now until something else happens.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2009, 07:57:45 AM »

Cover art:

“We live in divisive times.”
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2009, 08:15:03 AM »

As far as compilations/live records go, this is one of their stronger covers of recent years.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2009, 08:18:20 AM »

As far as compilations/live records go, this is one of their stronger covers of recent years.

Hmmm... I don't like the lettering. It's not satisfying aesthetically. The picture's nice though. When did they first use this letter type? KTSA?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2009, 08:21:17 AM »

Agree, the lettering's not in keeping with the mood of the pic at all. Still, it's corporate identity I guess!

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2009, 09:11:35 AM »

Hmmm... I don't like the lettering. It's not satisfying aesthetically. The picture's nice though. When did they first use this letter type? KTSA?

I believe they used it on the front cover of 15 Big Ones for the very first time and it never fails to remind me of 50s jukebox nostalgia...

They probably should be using the Pet Sounds font instead, which is kind of uninspired yet totally inoffensive and easy to recognize as another typical Beach Boys lettering.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2009, 10:22:28 AM »

I believe they used it on the front cover of 15 Big Ones for the very first time and it never fails to remind me of 50s jukebox nostalgia...

They probably should be using the Pet Sounds font instead, which is kind of uninspired yet totally inoffensive and easy to recognize as another typical Beach Boys lettering.

IIRC Dean Torrence created this logo for "15 Big Ones"

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2009, 02:34:51 PM »

Cover art:

Boring and cheap, but I'll buy it anyway  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2009, 06:40:11 AM »

I think Capitol should release a massive one time only box set of the entire Beach Boys catalouge(including the weird stuff like Lady Liberty) in mono, and release a second volume of the same exact thing in stereo. I'm tired of buying 30 cd's just for a handful of mixes I need.
These things are probably good for new fans and for the business, but regarding the stereo mixes, I wish they would release a comp with just the 'new stereo mixes' that they've done over hte last ten years. I like them, and I would pay money for more of them--but not if I have to also buy a bunch of 'old mixes that I already have' alongside htem.

And yeah, I'd also like more unreleased stuff...released.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2009, 07:40:34 AM »

... regarding the stereo mixes, I wish they would release a comp with just the 'new stereo mixes' that they've done over hte last ten years. I like them, and I would pay money for more of them--but not if I have to also buy a bunch of 'old mixes that I already have' alongside them.

Trouble is they'd call it "Summer Remixes", and compile all the remixes of recent years, freshly re-remixed for this special release!  There ain't a cat in Hell's chance that it'd be straight forward!

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2009, 12:29:55 PM »

That Coca Cola logo came soon after they were playing with Chicago didn't it?   Who coincidentally also have a Coca Cola logo.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2009, 01:11:02 PM »

It's kind of mind-boggling how Forever could be left off a Beach Boys Love Songs compilation - also would have been nice to see more people exposed to Cuddle Up. Still we get Fallin' In Love  ... just hope they get the licencing issues with Parlophone right ths time around  Wink
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2009, 10:16:19 PM »

I really don't like that "coca cola" logo for the Beach Boys.  All I can think of when I see it is the cover of 15 big ones with a bearded, overweight, spaced-out looking Brian on the cover.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2009, 12:45:09 AM »

S-h-i-t-t-y cover.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx