gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680780 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 06:01:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Beach Boys - Endless Harmony
5 - 44 (64.7%)
4 - 18 (26.5%)
3 - 5 (7.4%)
2 - 1 (1.5%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 57

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys - Endless Harmony  (Read 34354 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 12, 2006, 11:19:16 AM »

Discuss, review and rate The Beach Boys - Endless Harmony, released March 14, 2000.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Jason
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 11:19:59 AM »

A fabulous documentary film, covers all the bases (except Smile). 5 all the way.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 01:11:37 PM »

I give it a 5, too, although I hate the parts were Mike tells everyone how great he is...
I think the darker days could have been more discussed (Manson and stuff) and the great music they made up until Blondie and Ricky left...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 01:14:56 PM »

one of my purchases I never regreted buying. great documentary all the way though the band talking about their experiences and their music, what more could you ask for in a BBoys documentary? I love the live H&V concert footage they showed with the horn section. 5 from me

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 01:07:46 PM »

5. Solid. Only minor quibble is that the soundtrack is made up of alot of rejected material, which could confuse the newcomer.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 05:44:36 AM »

great docu! it actually included love you, a 5 in my book.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
MBE
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 05:21:09 AM »

I love this DVD. I mean the 1963 footage is amazing. The stuff from the 70s knocks me out too. Here are my complaints.  I wish vintage interviews from all of them (Dennis especally) were used (memory lapses are a real thing). I don't like the talking heads like Sean Lennon. I think Dennis' work should have been more fully intergrated. The bonus material could have been a whole second disc of raw interviews and "outakes". Finally except for Sunflower they make Brian seem like he didn't do anything from Smile to 15 Big Ones. I mean one second Brian won't leave his room, next second Desper and Bruce talk about how great he was during Sunflower. Showing a fat Brian during the Til I die montage was not bright either. Yet again I still love this thing. It really leaves out nothing musically essential and does give everyones point of view. For everything I just put it down for, I can say 10 nice things. Watch it for sure.
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 03:45:45 AM »

Excellent documentary! This and along with my greatest hits CD got me hooked on the Beach Boys. One gripe, some of the albums don't even get a mention (Wild Honey, Carl & The Passions, Keepin' The Summer Alive etc)

If I could improve this DVD I would have liked to see additional performances of Brian performing at the piano, additional exteneded interview material and maybe a making of documentary as extras. 10/10, A*****  Grin
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 07:11:30 AM by Zander » Logged

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 02:30:53 AM »

Excellent documentary! This and along with my greatest hits CD got me hooked on the Beach Boys. One gripe, some of the albums don't even get a mention (Wild Honey, Carl & The Passions, Keepin' The Summer Alive etc)

I agree with you there. But its like most documentaries on bands it only mentions the supposedly 'major' works and songs by the artist which I can understand but it still wouldve been nice to have the band talk about those albums that you mentioned and others. I still give it a 5 though as this is by far my favourite Beach Boys documentary (not that theres too many) but this one covers the story really nicely and its good how its in their own words. I too get a  bit frustrated with Mike Love how he says things such as "Brian was melancholy, I was Mr. positive thinker. That was ME!" Just the way he says "That was ME!" really bugs me, he just sounds so jealous that he doesnt get more attention. Anyway its still nice to have everyone's opinions (I spose your not going to agree with everything that they say)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 08:32:23 AM »

Just watched it a few nights ago. I rated it a 4.

But here is what bugged me. It showed Brian talking about Dennis gift in composing and producing but it never explored that. It never even played any of his songs (that I can think of). I kept expecting it to include live footage of Dennis singing Forever or Be With me... Alas, nope.

Anyway. I feel like this is sort of equivelent to the Beatles Documentary The Complete Beatles (narrated by Malcom McDowell). But there needs to be done on a Beatles Anthology-like scale with the Beach Boys. Alot more could be unearthed and a lot more quality time taken for all the episodes/issues that need to be addressed.
John 2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 01:04:45 PM »

I gave it four. I think I have a nostalgic bias towards "An American Band" though :D
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 10:32:26 PM »

I gave it four. I think I have a nostalgic bias towards "An American Band" though :D
Me, too. I was lucky to see "American Band" in a theater back in 1985. Made a lasting impression. This is a good one, though. Much more in depth interviews from the band members. The post Sunflower/ Surf's Up years sure fly by fast, but this is the best so far at telling the story of the Beach Boys.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 04:57:38 AM »

Can't get enough of this documentary, yesterday I watched it for probably the 20th time or something like that.

Some things I keep noticing:
- Brian somehow looks an awful lot like Al Bundy during that acoustic performance of Surfin'.
- Brian should make fun of Mike more often. The bit where he asks Al to pinch his nose and than starts singing California Girls is hilarious.
- Was Terry Melcher always that inarticulate?
- When they talk about writing Fun Fun Fun, Mike and Brian both do their best to appear relaxed, but it's very plain to see that they aren't.
- What was Hal Blaine thinking when he dyed his hair black?
- Carl had an incredibly soothing voice when he talked.
- Al should never perform Sloop John B solo on the piano ever again.
- Was Van Dyke always as pretentious as he was in that mid 70s interview? VERY annoying.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 06:12:05 AM »

- Was Van Dyke always as pretentious as he was in that mid 70s interview? VERY annoying.

Given his social circle at that time, it's a miracle he could construct a coherent sentence

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 07:45:30 PM »

I love this movie.

The whole thing is great, but to me, it moves into absolute triumph territory in three key areas:

-(1): The way the individual band member's personalities stand out, especially Brian's oft-forgotten sense of humor, Carl's introspective spirituality, and Dennis's world-weary realness.
-(2): The use of period footage, magazine stills, newspaper clippings, etc. to illustrate the mood of the individual time periods and establish context for music.
-(3): The music. Whether you like the movie or not, you at least owe it for the unreleased material we got out of it. Soulful Old Man Sunshine, Sail Plane Song, Barbara, all that.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 11:59:17 AM »

i owned the soundtrack before the seeing the movie...being that it was called the soundtrack, I expected ALL the songs to be in the movie (this was before I knew about how rarities were released in the BB-world)...It woulda been cool to hear more of the soundtrack in the doc....no complaints though

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 01:40:21 PM »

It's a good DVD although for a completest fan it is frustrating because you see and hear things you wish they would release on their own.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
robertgotshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 05:14:00 AM »

Just finished watching and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Never having seen a Beach Boys doc, it was an interesting watch. My only complaint, I think, is that it didn't get a chance to focus on other members of the band as much. I would love to have seen more on Dennis as he seems like such an interesting guy. I'm now tracking down the BBC4 special, Dennis Wilson: The Real Beach Boy to get some more insight.
Christoph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 01:09:18 PM »

A 5 for sure. Love the clips from the late Carl, especially doing his vocal line on Surfer Girl in the rehearsal room.

Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 12:38:51 PM »

I like this documentary because Brians answers seems very honest.

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2011, 07:48:16 AM »

Too much glossing over on a lot of the details...Brian interviewed much better in IJWMFTT, and Love comes off as a fodahead...Al seems to be the only living BB that comes across clear headed and doesn`t make me cringe during the interview.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2012, 03:20:45 PM »

Where's the live footage of Sail On Sailor from?

Paulos
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 09:29:05 AM »

Watched this again last night for the first time in ages, a good documentary but certain flaws prevent it from being brilliant so I'm only going to give it 4/5. To me it would have been better if Ricky and Blondie had actually been interviewed, David had been interviewed more and if they hadn't skipped over Smiley Smile, Wild Honey etc like those albums never existed. Like someone else mentioned a series of documentaries Beatles Anthology style would be the only way to do The Beach Boys legacy justice. One thing I hadn't noticed before was the inclusion of a snippet of Al's acoustic rendtion of 'California Saga: California' - it sounded amazing and I want to hear the whole thing but as far as I understand it has only been released on the ESQ 'One In A Million' CD which is now unavailable.

Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2012, 06:24:39 PM »

One thing I hadn't noticed before was the inclusion of a snippet of Al's acoustic rendtion of 'California Saga: California' - it sounded amazing and I want to hear the whole thing but as far as I understand it has only been released on the ESQ 'One In A Million' CD which is now unavailable.

I really want to hear the full song, I wish Al had stuck it on Postcard as a bonus track.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 10:09:26 PM »

I liked this one a lot when it came out, but it hasn't aged well for me. Mike is at his most insufferable here, I'm not a Mike basher, but I don't like his attitude here. Timothy White's comments are insightful, but I don't get much out of the comments from John Stamos, Sean Lennon, Glenn Frey, or Jackson Browne.  I like An American Band better because there are more complete music clips.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx