gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681109 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 07:48:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sinatra Thread?  (Read 8305 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2010, 04:26:07 PM »

Alright, glad somebody bumped this.

A few weeks ago, I was listening to an online channel, (The Strip) and they played a Sinatra live version of Mack the Knife.  It was the one where he's calling out all the other people that have recorded it, etc. so I'll bet it's from LATE in his career.

I downloaded the meadowlands version, it's NOT that one.  It must be from some commercial release, though, or they wouldn't be playing it on a commercial radio station. 

Anybody have any clue?  It was much more jacked up than the Meadowlands version, and was just fantastic.  LOTS of swagger, probably the best version of the song I've ever heard. 

Anybody?
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2010, 09:23:03 PM »

I'm glad you're glad I bumped it. Watertown is a great pop album and I'm not a fan of Sinatra otherwise.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2010, 10:12:42 AM »

Alright, glad somebody bumped this.

A few weeks ago, I was listening to an online channel, (The Strip) and they played a Sinatra live version of Mack the Knife.  It was the one where he's calling out all the other people that have recorded it, etc. so I'll bet it's from LATE in his career.

I downloaded the meadowlands version, it's NOT that one.  It must be from some commercial release, though, or they wouldn't be playing it on a commercial radio station. 

Anybody have any clue?  It was much more jacked up than the Meadowlands version, and was just fantastic.  LOTS of swagger, probably the best version of the song I've ever heard. 

Anybody?

He did Mack the Knife on the "LA is My Lady" LP.  Recorded in the studio, but he reals off names in it.  I also think it shows up on, maybe the New York box?  I know I have another version of it outside of the version on the  "LA" LP.  It's a decent number, not my favorite though.  For me, it's better than My Way ...which I've always found laborious.  Sinatra felt the same way about "My Way" incidentally. 

I really like the New York box by the way.  I'll be breaking that out soon with Fall due to arrive ("autumn in New York," understand).  It's not as solid and swinging as the Vegas box -- but it's sooo "New York" and more intimate.  Goes great with a big plate of spaghetti, some friends and family and a few bottles of Chianti.   Smokin

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx