gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 11:58:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis Wilson Appreciation Thread  (Read 11603 times)
Jason
« on: February 11, 2006, 02:28:02 PM »

One of the golden penetrators! Boo-yah!
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 07:46:34 PM »

A freakin' underrated drummer.  And the second best musical composer in the group.  A classic case of what could have been.
LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 10:18:58 PM »

This one will need time for me to carefully word something that encompasses all of his wonderful qualities... but for now can I just say..

YUMMY

Check out my music on my website: http://www.myspace.com/lauriebiaginimusic
bluesno1fann
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 03:46:03 PM »

Dennis may have been an all-right Drummer at best, but he sure as hell was the second-most talented member in terms of songwriting.
Some of the songs he made - Be With Me, All I Want To Do, Slip On Through, It's About Time, WIBNTLA, Love Surrounds Me, etc. - are some of my favourites the BB's ever made. It's a damned shame he's the least popular Wilson Brother around here, but what can you do?

retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 03:54:25 PM »

Dennis may have been an all-right Drummer at best, but he sure as hell was the second-most talented member in terms of songwriting.
Some of the songs he made - Be With Me, All I Want To Do, Slip On Through, It's About Time, WIBNTLA, Love Surrounds Me, etc. - are some of my favourites the BB's ever made. It's a damned shame he's the least popular Wilson Brother around here, but what can you do?

it really is a shame Sad he was a great person and definitely the coolest member  Cool Guy.  there's certainly more to him than what some people give him credit for and he made great contributions to the band  Smiley

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 09:03:02 PM »

This is far from true and, if anything, users are rallying against Dennis because you and retrokid are so annoying about him. Dennis' music gets a lot of praise around here. But you and retrokid are the only ones who will blindly love anything that he wrote and treat it all as genius. I absolutely adore Cuddle Up, Forever, River Song and WIBNTLA. I love the Pacific Ocean Blue album. But I can also admit that some of the songs he wrote weren't as good.

The reason Brian gets talked about more on this board is because Brian wrote the majority of the Beach Boys' music. He is the most important member of the Beach Boys. He is the reason that Dennis was able to release music to hundreds of thousands of people in the '60s and '70s.

"Brian Wilson is the Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his fucking messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything." - Dennis Wilson.

There's no reason to make this board some sort of high school "woe is me, no one likes Dennis" sh*t. Everyone likes THE BEACH BOYS on this board. It's not Jacob vs. Edward or Brian vs. Dennis or Carl vs. Dennis.

Stop making this entire board about Dennis vs. The Beach Boys.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 09:18:42 PM »

This is far from true and, if anything, users are rallying against Dennis because you and retrokid are so annoying about him. Dennis' music gets a lot of praise around here. But you and retrokid are the only ones who will blindly love anything that he wrote and treat it all as genius. I absolutely adore Cuddle Up, Forever, River Song and WIBNTLA. I love the Pacific Ocean Blue album. But I can also admit that some of the songs he wrote weren't as good.

The reason Brian gets talked about more on this board is because Brian wrote the majority of the Beach Boys' music. He is the most important member of the Beach Boys. He is the reason that Dennis was able to release music to hundreds of thousands of people in the '60s and '70s.

"Brian Wilson is the Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his fucking messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything." - Dennis Wilson.

There's no reason to make this board some sort of high school "woe is me, no one likes Dennis" sh*t. Everyone likes THE BEACH BOYS on this board. It's not Jacob vs. Edward or Brian vs. Dennis or Carl vs. Dennis.

I'm not sure about Retrokid67, but you're wrong about me. There's plenty of songs written or sung by Dennis that I don't really like. Such as Surfers Rule, Girls On The Beach, Celebrate The News, 4th Of July, Lady, Barbara, etc.

He's still more popular than any other member, but compared to Bran and Carl (who are still great BTW), he's not quite as popular around here. At least that's what I've noticed
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 09:37:39 PM »

I never said that every song of his was genius. this whole time I had been referring to people like Gabo who acts like he had no talent at all and bases his opinions on everything Brian's done, that's it.  Brian and Dennis had two different styles.  I said many times before that I can respect people's opinions so why can't I have one without being labeled as a stupid kid who doesn't know what she's talking about?  and people act like we're the ones who are immature but you just said you guys have been rallying against him just to mess with us....(and btw we kinda had that figured out  Undecided)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 09:50:46 PM by retrokid67 » Logged

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 10:26:25 PM »

denny's a  Cool Guy love pob and bambu and his collab with big bri on the coke sessions..

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 10:29:05 PM »

I never said that every song of his was genius. this whole time I had been referring to people like Gabo who acts like he had no talent at all and bases his opinions on everything Brian's done, that's it.  Brian and Dennis had two different styles.  I said many times before that I can respect people's opinions so why can't I have one without being labeled as a stupid kid who doesn't know what she's talking about?  and people act like we're the ones who are immature but you just said you guys have been rallying against him just to mess with us....(and btw we kinda had that figured out  Undecided)

I did not say that.

And I've seen Gabo's comments. He has his own opinion. He's allowed to it. It only becomes a "you guys vs. everyone else" when you make it that way.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:31:24 PM by startBBtoday » Logged
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 10:39:47 PM »

I think Mike might be the second best. He co-wrote many of the band's best songs, and his entirely original compositions are at the very least catchy.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:41:13 PM by Gabo » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 10:46:18 PM »

I think Mike might be the second best. He co-wrote many of the band's best songs, and his entirely original compositions are at the very least catchy.

Not by himself. Take Sumahama for example.

Plus he can't play any instruments (except for maybe one note of saxophone)

Denny is definitely the superior songwriter. Best example being the comparison between POB and Looking Back With Love (which Mike only co-wrote one song) or SIP
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 11:06:10 PM »

i sorta like sumahama but boy, mike is so damn cheesy i've developed an aversion to the dude.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 11:10:43 PM »

Not by himself. Take Sumahama for example.

Plus he can't play any instruments (except for maybe one note of saxophone)

Actually Mike can play both guitar and piano. Obviously not to wrecking crew standards but competent enough to work out chord structure to his solo compositions. If Mike had never wrote another song after 1975 I'd easily rate him as the band's second best songwriter.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 11:11:36 PM »

I never said that every song of his was genius. this whole time I had been referring to people like Gabo who acts like he had no talent at all and bases his opinions on everything Brian's done, that's it.  Brian and Dennis had two different styles.  I said many times before that I can respect people's opinions so why can't I have one without being labeled as a stupid kid who doesn't know what she's talking about?  and people act like we're the ones who are immature but you just said you guys have been rallying against him just to mess with us....(and btw we kinda had that figured out  Undecided)

I did not say that.

And I've seen Gabo's comments. He has his own opinion. He's allowed to it. It only becomes a "you guys vs. everyone else" when you make it that way.

you did say it and when I said "you guys" I was referring to you guys (users) who are doing that.  and Gabo insults Dennis too not just his music. if he doesn't like his music fine I'm cool with that but why attack the man himself? "His music sounds just like the way he looked back in the 70s; hairy and really pretty greasy." I don't feel this way, but if I were to say "if people would just stop exalting drugged out Brian (he's overrated)....." people would have a problem with that am I right?  no one has a problem with giving him props and I don't either but when we (not just me and Rei) gave Denny props, he expressed his disgust with that and we expressed our disgust with his comment, then everyone started to jump in on it and made us out to be the bad guys. they argued with us just as much as we argued with them.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 11:41:05 PM by retrokid67 » Logged

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 11:20:07 PM »

This is supposed to be the Dennis Appreciation Thread. Instead you guys are trashing Denny and calling Mike a better songwriter than Denny?!

Seriously. Mike Love a better songwriter than Dennis Wilson. Think about what you're saying.

Anyway this is turning into a Mike Appreciation Thread, which is obviously off-topic.

Take it to this thread!:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15546.0.html
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 11:38:18 PM »

This is supposed to be the Dennis Appreciation Thread. Instead you guys are trashing Denny and calling Mike a better songwriter than Denny?!

Seriously. Mike Love a better songwriter than Dennis Wilson. Think about what you're saying.

Anyway this is turning into a Mike Appreciation Thread, which is obviously off-topic.

Take it to this thread!:

and guess who started the derailing....no surprise  Roll Eyes

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 11:43:10 PM »

Take it to this thread!:

Actually this time it wasn't who you think it is  Shocked
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 11:44:42 PM »

Take it to this thread!:

Actually this time it wasn't who you think it is  Shocked

...got a point there  Shocked

-Dennis Wilson
zachrwolfe
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 11:50:13 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:24:30 PM by zatch » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 12:08:15 AM »

Sigh.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 12:37:45 AM by Woodstock » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 12:38:04 AM »

I think this thread is already off the rails.

“We live in divisive times.”
bluesno1fann
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 12:43:51 AM »

Damn it, it pisses me off when threads like this with a lot of potential gets ruined by derailing only because I was expressing my love for a lot of Dennis's music in the appropriate thread and people started going at me!

The Kokomaoists can go comment on the Mike Love Appreciation thread which I already shared the link for.

Now let's get back on topic with this thread. Anyone care to say something on-topic?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 12:50:51 AM »

I think this thread is already off the rails.

That's one way of putting it.

I personally have an issue when disagreements over opinions become pissing matches.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 12:52:58 AM »

Why did you have to bump an 8 year old thread to express your appreciation for Dennis in?  While I do think it's a nice gesture to check if a topic's been touched on before making a new thread, this necro-bumping that's been going on is, IMO, ridiculous.

Also, if you continue to make statements like "he sure as hell was the second-most talented member in terms of songwriting" as absolute, irrefutable truths...don't be surprised when people challenge them.  It's a discussion board.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 12:54:20 AM by Ebb and Flow » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx