gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 03:59:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unheard BB tracks that you most would like to hear  (Read 15193 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2009, 01:36:28 PM »

But it seems like one of the more finished up unreleased tunes. And it's one of my favorite Carl vocals, underrated in my point of view

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2009, 01:45:11 PM »

I love Soulful Ol' Man Sunshine but I'm perfectly sure it would not have been a hit in 1970 when even stuff like Slip On Through and Add Some Music (which I think is even a tad bit better than Sunshine) did not have that much of a chance. Even more, it's quite obvious why they didn't use that song on subsequent albums, which would present the BB so much more as an "edgy" rock group. It would have seemed completely out of place even on Surf's Up, which to my ears has to be the very last record which has that full and rich Beach Boys sound to it (though there were moments of that on Holland as well).
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2009, 03:16:39 PM »

Even more, it's quite obvious why they didn't use that song on subsequent albums, which would present the BB so much more as an "edgy" rock group. It would have seemed completely out of place even on Surf's Up, which to my ears has to be the very last record which has that full and rich Beach Boys sound to it (though there were moments of that on Holland as well).

Reason they didn't use "SOMS" on any record before 1993 was because it was spread out over at least three tapes, unassembled.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2009, 08:07:52 PM »

The tried like hell to get both SOMS and Loop De Loop on the 93 boxset. Carl nixed SOMS and Al nixed Loop De Loop. Brian nixed Let Him Run WIld and Fire (although there is talk that Leaf didn't even take Fire to Brian). I love SOMS....but I love the demo in front.
Jason
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2009, 08:10:10 PM »

I don't know what it is that Al didn't like so much about his vocal on Loop De Loop. The ball-clutched vocal adds to the charm. Smiley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2009, 08:11:27 PM »

Same thing Al doesn't like about his incessantly reworked other solo material... Al is awaiting his very own Chinese Democracy.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jason
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2009, 08:13:33 PM »

If that's the case then his album's gonna suck. Smiley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2009, 08:14:02 PM »

Did you honestly believe otherwise?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Jason
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »

Just because it takes years to come out doesn't mean it'll be any good.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2009, 08:17:01 PM »

If you're arguing, it's with yourself (and Axl and Al). I'm a big proponent of write it, record it, release it, move on: it's just a fucking record!

Jason
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2009, 08:18:51 PM »

Not arguing. This isn't Male Ego. Smiley
MBE
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2009, 09:05:46 PM »

The original Jardine falsetto Loop De Loop was better, I think. So was Brian's demo.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2009, 09:56:13 PM »

Brian nixed Let Him Run WIld and Fire (although there is talk that Leaf didn't even take Fire to Brian).

True - David told me that back in '93: he knew it would prove a major sticking point.  It took him about a week of persuasion to get Brian to OK any of the Smile section.

petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2009, 10:37:50 PM »

True - David told me that back in '93: he knew it would prove a major sticking point.  It took him about a week of persuasion to get Brian to OK any of the Smile section.
[/quote]

I believe it.  And now Fire is a grammy award winning track. Go figure!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2009, 10:38:40 PM »

You know what I'd like to have released either officially or bootleged? Carl's original rough melody vocal on what became Holy Man. That, and the "unknown" Brian piano demo that adamghost mentioned a month or so ago.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2009, 11:32:19 PM »

The MIU mix of Roll Plymouth Rock (if they even worked on it)

Whoa, anyone wanna explain a bit more about this?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2009, 04:33:35 PM »

The MIU mix of Roll Plymouth Rock (if they even worked on it)

Whoa, anyone wanna explain a bit more about this?

I believe this stems from a contemporary quote from Al that they were working on "Worms" for MIU...I'm sure someone else has more details, but I think that was the basic gist. 
Jason
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2009, 04:38:13 PM »

It was actually LA, not MIU. Apparently some overdubs were performed. Bruce mentioned this in an interview.
MBE
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2009, 04:52:10 PM »

I think he was going to sample it in some way. Make a Smile montage as it were.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2009, 08:07:27 PM »

hmm, disco montage? like they did w/ the Here Comes the Night promo? making a medly with the oldies? heh, interesting to ponder

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2009, 11:37:54 AM »

I'd love to hear everything that was recorded during the '95-BBs-sessions

Check out Soul Searchin', You're Still A Mystery, and the backing track to Dancin' the Night Away (all from the Paley Sessions, I think). That's all I know of, unless someone with a lot more credibility on the subject (i.e. AGD, Carlin, Stebbins, Boyd, Linett, Desper, H, etc.) knows of more.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2009, 01:21:07 PM »

That's pretty much all they did. Mind, the Baywatch thing was a new composition, and the tracks to the other two numbers were from the Was sessions... er, I think. Was it the vocals ? Anyway, they were comped.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx