gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 08:20:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unheard BB tracks that you most would like to hear  (Read 15198 times)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 01:10:53 PM »

This is easy.

Brian's 1974 demo of California Feeling recorded at Western.

The 1981 Beach Boys version of Sweetie with a Brian/Al/Mike lead vocal.

I'm A Man - recorded July 1980 at Mike Love's studio.

The completed version of Goin' To The Beach.

Also add to my list:

1979 Brian track Boys And Girls
The un-enhanced version of Runaway Live which i understand is better than the overdubed version.
1982 original version of California Calling
Brian's piano only demo of Sail Plane Song.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2009, 02:06:01 PM »

Seems a lot of people have heard this but I haven't heard Youv'e Lost That Lovin Feelin.  From what I understand, recorded in the 15 BO era?   Is this on a SOT collection or other such media?

So much good stuff out there unreleased.  I had my doubts but I am now convinced that HAWTHORNE II is a real possibility.  There are at least a couple of lengthy live shows of high quality that contain rarities and remain unreleased.  The good stuff from that alone could fill half a Hawthorne type collection.  Mix in a little unreleased Am Spring, a little Love you material, stuff from the Soul Searchin era, a few of the older treasures such as on gettheboot.and you have a fan's smorgasboard.
BiG GRiN
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2009, 05:13:39 PM »

I have heard so many people speak greatly of Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again, but I have never heard it. I would also like to hear some POB/Bambu era songs that didn't make the cd.
- 10,000 years
- I Didn't Mean to Make You Worry
- I Don't Know
- Taking Off
- Barnyard Blues
- Hellen Keller

I know nothing about these songs, but I found this list in Dumb Angel by Adam Webb.
I Don't Know is Love Remember Me
Taking Off is the same as Piano Variations but with full production over the piano track.
Some of 10,000 Years shows up in Friday Night... and I think Album Tag Song.

I have two different versions of the song 'I Don't Know';

one is labeled:  "Dennis Wilson - I Don't Know (piano demo acetate)" (1mn 08s)
Dennis plays piano alone,  with poor sound quality.
In my opinion, it can be a fragment of the real 'I don't know' from Smile era;

and the other:  "I Don't Know (dennis wilson) mono 1-12-67" (2mn 28s)
full orchestration (guitars, drums, bass...), with better sound;
But it doesn't sounds like a Smile era song, sounds like  "I don't know" recorded in 1977 by Dennis.

And none of them is "Love Remember Me"! Huh Huh
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2009, 06:17:48 PM »

Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again
California Feelin' demo
Sail on Sailor demo - I'd love to find out just how complete it really was at that stage!
Come to the Sunshine
Oh Lord (85 album version)
Where Is She
Raspberries and Strawberries
Bruce's Ten Years Harmony demo
Beatrice from Baltimore
Lucy Jones
Our LIfe, Our Love, Our Land - if it was recorded
Doctor Tom - ditto
Gold Rush - ditto
Don't Let Me Go - ditto
Rubles - ditto
Ride Arabian, Ride - ditto
10,000 Years - ML's version from late 70s/early 80s, if actually recorded
Honeycomb
Was there a BB version of Country Pie?  I'll have that too.

The version of Country Pie on the Celebration LP IS Mike Love singing. It sez Dave is the lead, but, if you listen to Dave's other leads on the LP, this voice sounds nothing like Dave and totally like Mike.
Jason
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2009, 08:23:04 PM »

But it doesn't sounds like a Smile era song, sounds like  "I don't know" recorded in 1977 by Dennis.

The "piano demo acetate" is considered an early Barbara by most but it bears little resemblance. It's nice to hear, though.

The "full orchestration" version is not a Dennis track at all, in fact, it's Bruce and Terry's Don't Run Away backing track. For some reason it's been considered I Don't Know for years. Why, I dunno.

And FWIW "I Don't Know" circa 1977 is actually the first part of Love Remember Me with the acoustic guitar, flutes and such and Dennis' doubled vocal. The second part is known as "My Love's Comin' Down".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2009, 08:27:28 PM »

some official mixes of the Beachago concerts would be nice to hear

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2009, 12:16:18 AM »

Besides all the tunes already mentioned, I'd love to hear 1963's "Malibu Sunset" (even if it's only a demo) and 1969's "Where Is She?".   

Malibu Sunset was no great shakes. Plesant at best. Look for Rarities On Compact Disc Vol. 2 to hear it.

Yeah okay, but isn't that the Glen Campbell version (as produced by Brian)? I was referring to Brian's original demo (which, so I heard now, is lost?).
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2009, 12:48:33 AM »

My top unheard BB tracks I've got to hear:

Wich Stand
Smiley's Good time Mama and Good News
Where is She?
Dennis's Behold the Night and Baby, Baby
Come to the Sunshine

I didn't know the Beach Boys recorded a version of Come to the Sunshine. I love that song.
This Wouldn't it be Nice to Live Again is taking on an epic degree of anticipatory aura.
I'm surprised that it didn't wind up on the Good Vibrations box set along with its companion
track that was also pulled from the Surf's Up lineup, Fourth of July. That would have been
very apropos.

Also want to hear I've Got a Friend track, Baby Baby, Behold the Night and Dennis/Dragon album material. Embarrassed

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2009, 02:49:56 AM »

I'd really like to hear 'I've got a friend' too.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2009, 04:23:06 AM »

Bruce's Ten Years Harmony demo

Thats available, or at least a mid 70s version with Bruce at the piano is, it might have been the B-side to one of those Bruce/Melcher/Becher things from the mid 70s - California Music?

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2009, 04:29:35 AM »

I didn't know the Beach Boys recorded a version of Come to the Sunshine. I love that song.

Isn't that one missing too?
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2009, 04:30:45 AM »

Thats available, or at least a mid 70s version with Bruce at the piano is, it might have been the B-side to one of those Bruce/Melcher/Becher things from the mid 70s - California Music?

Yep, B-side to Don't Worry Baby
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2009, 07:08:52 AM »

Didn't Dennis record "Here Comes the Sun"? I'd like to hear that...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2009, 07:50:17 AM »

I believe he and Karen were supposed to record it for some SGT. Pepper-movie (dn't know nothing about that) but I don't know if it was recorded at all...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2009, 09:06:25 AM »

I believe he and Karen were supposed to record it for some SGT. Pepper-movie (dn't know nothing about that) but I don't know if it was recorded at all...

All This and World War II
Beatles' "significance" pushed to the breaking point in this bizarre documentary that juxtaposes their songs (sung by a number of rock stars) with World War II newsreel footage. Helen Reddy sings "Fool On The Hill" while Hitler relaxes at Bertchtesgaden, and Rod Stewart husks "Get Back" while Nazi troops goose step.

I believe something was recorded, with Karen. Whoever heard it didn't see to be very enthusiastic.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2009, 09:30:34 AM »

It was recorded. And with Karen singing lead, you don't want to hear it...believe me.

BiG GRiN
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2009, 09:38:31 AM »

The "piano demo acetate" is considered an early Barbara by most but it bears little resemblance. It's nice to hear, though.

The "full orchestration" version is not a Dennis track at all, in fact, it's Bruce and Terry's Don't Run Away backing track. For some reason it's been considered I Don't Know for years. Why, I dunno.

And FWIW "I Don't Know" circa 1977 is actually the first part of Love Remember Me with the acoustic guitar, flutes and such and Dennis' doubled vocal. The second part is known as "My Love's Comin' Down".
Thanks a lot for your informations, finally I have an answer, an once again it was songs mistaken labeled as "I Don't Know";
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2009, 10:41:16 AM »

It was recorded. And with Karen singing lead, you don't want to hear it...believe me.

Grin
Thanks for the info Jon ! Did Dennis sing background vocals and produce? Or what was his involvement?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2009, 11:08:30 AM »

As far as I know Dennis created the track, which is fairly bland for Dennis. I don't recall hearing much in the way of vocals other than Karen's lead which is extremely pitch challenged.

Grin
Thanks for the info Jon ! Did Dennis sing background vocals and produce? Or what was his involvement?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2009, 11:42:54 AM »

I thought BJ's version of Ten Years was a new recording
I was hoping for a BB version of Country Pie - but, yeah, that's ML and it sounds like Carl on the chorus

Wasn't it ELO doing Fool on the Hill?  I can't remember; it's ages since I heard it.  Shitty idea, whoever.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2009, 08:44:33 PM »

I would sell my mother to hear the beach boys version of Come To The Sunshine.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2009, 02:37:06 AM »

That's too bad... I can totally imagine Dennis singing a slow, laid-back version of that song. I'm sure it could've been great.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2009, 03:12:42 AM »

Technically, they didn't - it was a BW/VDP recording.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2009, 07:07:03 PM »

Slightly-OT, but I'll tell you which song that HAS been booted I'd LOVE to hear in better quality, "All of My Love." That one just gets me, just a minute of music but so moving and powerful. I'd wager that outside of the scratchy, fuzzy version I have, it's 10x better, especially since I can tell there are some Dennis backgrounds that are blending into the track on my version (due to the fedility) that would knock your socks off...

So, how about Poops/Hubba Hubba on CD, Jon? Wink

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2009, 02:15:11 AM »

there's a lot of stuff I'd like to hear out of curiosity; and some of it I'm sure is great. However, I'm sure some of the unreleased songs are a little "hyped-up" by those who've been privy to them. I remember the extraordinary praise Soulful Ol' Man Sunshine got a few years ago; super fans informing the rest of us what a terrific gem we were missing. Then it got released and... Meh.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx