gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 06:05:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 57582 times)
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2008, 09:09:32 PM »

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band - 1st album

Let It Bleed - The Rolling Stones

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 11:50:29 PM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,4663.0.html

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 01:35:34 PM »

The most recent post on that thread was almost 3 months ago. I couldn't even find it and it ain't that long.

Let's start fresh for the new year.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 11:12:59 AM »

OK.  Listening to Dion...Bronx and Blue.   A very, very, fine album.  If it is possible, Dion's vocals are better than ever and there is an ownership of these blues phrasings that is just so natural it's uncanny.

highly recommended ****
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 11:23:12 AM »

Anthony Burr/Charles Curtis - Alvin Lucier

Machinefabriek - Dauw

Harry Nilsson - Nilsson Schmilsson

Miles Davis - Big Fun
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 11:41:20 AM by phirnis » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 12:17:24 PM »

"Cold Irons Bound" from Bob Dylan's Tell Tale Signs. Damn, he can still rock! How about a live album of the recent "Neverending Tour"?
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 01:54:01 PM »

A few CDs I got for Christmas I thought I'd share:

A pretty terrific Richard Manuel solo live CD called Whispering Pines. He always reminded me a little bit of Dennis and I love this voice--even in it's smoky form on this 1985 concert.

Oasis' semi-new album. Grand.

U2's Zooropa. Pretty good even though I like their rocking side more than the European sound on this release. "Stay (Faraway So Close!)" rules.

The Ramones It's Alive!. Fitting since it's a New Years Eve show. Love it, Joey was the best!

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 09:45:21 AM »

All the songs i have from 1967. I'm about halfway through.
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 12:57:55 PM »

A pretty terrific Richard Manuel solo live CD called Whispering Pines. He always reminded me a little bit of Dennis and I love this voice--even in it's smoky form on this 1985 concert.
I have this one too, I even think it's the only officially released Richard Manuel CD. Great stuff.

U2's Zooropa. Pretty good even though I like their rocking side more than the European sound on this release. "Stay (Faraway So Close!)" rules.
This one and "Achtung Baby" are my two favourite U2 albums, their last two records bore me to death really. Agree about "Stay (Faraway So Close)", "The Wanderer" with Johnny Cash is also neat.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 07:06:30 AM »

Zooropa was their last good album...I say, though I haven't heard their last two, actually. Pop was so terrible I couldn't buy another one.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 09:38:16 AM »

Eels' Electro-Shock Blues

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 01:28:49 PM »

Eels' Electro-Shock Blues

How coincidental! I did as well a few weeks back.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 01:45:11 PM »

It's probably among my 25-50 favorite albums ever.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 02:04:50 AM »

I always like Beautiful Freak a lot, liked the experimentation with the use of instruments and samples on some of the tracks. Which was the reason that I got hold of it's follow-up as well when it as released. Had to grow on me though. Still melancholy at times, but in a much more depressing way.

But give it a few turns, and once you've passed the first 3 tracks and still like it, you're a fan for life.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 01:44:17 PM »

Beautiful Freak is actually probably my second-least favorite Eels album. I love Electro-Shock, Blinking Lights and Daisies. I like Souljacker. Then Beautiful Freak and Shootenanny. (The live stuff and rarities and MC Honky and Levity soundtrack under M.O. Everett I don't really count.)

But it's all really just one big album anyway. You really feel that when watching/listening to him live, or seeing the "Town Hall" stuff, for example. One big album.

Have you got/heard his two solo albums, pre-Eels? Despite a few cool things, they largely suck. It's surprising how bad they are, considering how well they were reviewed and how cool his early arrangements can be. Astounding. But those lyrics! They make a Beach Boys fan shudder.

SG7
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 05:38:11 PM »

Played Made in the USA and Jeffery Foskett's Cool and Gone album.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 11:55:17 PM »

Beautiful Freak is actually probably my second-least favorite Eels album. I love Electro-Shock, Blinking Lights and Daisies. I like Souljacker. Then Beautiful Freak and Shootenanny. (The live stuff and rarities and MC Honky and Levity soundtrack under M.O. Everett I don't really count.)

But it's all really just one big album anyway. You really feel that when watching/listening to him live, or seeing the "Town Hall" stuff, for example. One big album.

Have you got/heard his two solo albums, pre-Eels? Despite a few cool things, they largely suck. It's surprising how bad they are, considering how well they were reviewed and how cool his early arrangements can be. Astounding. But those lyrics! They make a Beach Boys fan shudder.

I bought BF when I was in my alternative music-phase (mid-late 90ies). As I said, what got me was the sometimes weird instrumentation. I especially like the more melancholy tracks on that album. The title track, My Beloved Monster (gotta love that base-line, made me wonder at the time if there was a BW-connection), Manchild. For me it was the reason to buy E's follow-up as well. Did I know the guy had gone through some rough times? A world of difference, still somehow it feels like Electro Shock Blues continues where BF ends. When you listen to the closing track on BF, "Manchild", you still here an optimistic E, but that hope turns into desperation and total sadness when you hear the opening lines of "Elizabeth on the Bathroom Floor". Weird.
Took a while to get used to ESB, could be the reason I didn't buy Daisies Of The Galaxy (although I've heard that one is much more optimistic, maybe I should get that one). Less accesible at first, but I appreciate it a lot more now.

Don't know his pree-Eels work, so can't comment on that.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 09:14:42 AM »

Elvis Presley - Hillcrest Blues  (boot)

and

Jerry Lee Lewis - Sings the country music hall of fame vol.1&2

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 11:37:44 AM »

Forever Nightshade Mary - Latin Playboys (aka Los Lobos)  Afro
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 07:01:34 AM »

This one really kicks ass !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 02:23:26 PM »

THE MOVE - Anthology 1966-1972 (4 CD Boxed Set) - great!!

Watson, did you hear this?
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 06:34:28 AM »

I've been listening to Queen lately for the first time in years. "You Take My Breath Away" has to be one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. Freddie Mercury was an underrated songwriter, maybe because his abilities as a singer and performer overshadowed his other talents.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 09:32:31 AM »

He was an amazing songwriter, Amy. Absolutely. And you know what else? A brilliant arranger, too, although by the '80s (according to his own interviews of the time) he got a little bit of latter-day Wilson in him, preferring to drop things that didn't happen quickly. I think the use of technology (which simplified things) coupled with his already enormous success (which made them unnecessary anyway) had a lot to do with that, though.

And me, I'm NOT listening to the Heartless Bastards up coming album because I can't find the blasted disc. Where did it go...?

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009, 10:16:51 AM »

Are Youtube videos allowed on this section? Well, anyway:

This is a beautiful live rendition of You Take My Breath Away-- his vocal is probably better than on the recording:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJW0-XqlIQ4&feature=PlayList&p=586C851D566628DF&playnext=1&index=1

And then of course the recorded version has the gorgeous harmonies, all Freddie, I believe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zSzlT5zBXs&feature=related
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2009, 10:27:09 AM »

That's awesome, I've never seen this song live

For all the 80s era Queen video out there, I'd sure love to see some 70s stuff officially released. The clips from circa 75 on the Night at the Opera Classic Albums dvd are wonderful.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx