gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680719 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 04:12:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your personal SMiLE mix  (Read 31211 times)
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 18, 2011, 11:52:38 AM »

One minor thing: I'm pretty sure Brian asks "you guys feeling the HASH yet?" You think Brian is going to offer Al Jardine acid before recording a vocal? Not even John Lennon would take acid before recording music. OK, he did once, and you start really hearing it about halfway through "What's the New Mary Jane".

Then again, looking at this picture on the cover of 20/20... maybe Al DID take the brown acid.
Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2011, 01:50:47 PM »

That's a different part on the same session tape where Brian says he knows someone still has some more Hash. I'd heard that part before on the Worst of the Beach Boys boot but until the other day I'd only read about "Feel the acid" and never heard it for myself.

So I've made myself the two new Smiles now and they're both getting a lot of plays. The short Smile is very basic;

Our Prayer (Good Vibrations box set)/ Heroes and Villains (5 minute blend of single and 'Cantina' versions)/ The Old Master Painter ('88 Linnet tapes)/ Child is Father of the Man ('88 Linnet tapes)/ Wonderful (GV box)/ Do You Like Worms (Sr101 remix)/ Cabinessence (20/20)/ The Elements (Warnakey and Wright edit)/ Vegetables (Wright)/ Windchimes (Wright)/ Look ('88 Linnet tapes)/ Good Vibrations (2008 stereo remix)/ Surf's Up ('66 vocal and instrumental tracks only.)

The new extended Smile I take would take longer to dissect but the inspiration
came from some of the posts on this thread and then listening to
DJ Mic Luv's version of Smile and the single version of Heroes of Villains.
I used the same whiplash style of editing between different sections of
music and sometimes using bits from the Psychedelic Smile tapes.

On this one the long version Heroes and Villains is nearly 8 minutes and uses some of the
Sections segments too. I colored outside the lines a little and did stuff
like make a version of Water that uses the first half of Diamond Head and
then halfway in turns into Love to Say DaDa. I also grafted a short segment
from Little Pad onto the end of Worms. My new edit of Barnyard/ Great Shape
ends up sounding like something off of one of Zappa's '68 - '69 albums. On my older
long Smile playlist I had Great Shape from Hawthorne with music underneath, then a tape
explosion, Barnyard with just Brian's vocals and piano and then crossfading into the
backing track. I got a Beatles Good Morning effect by Brian's "Let's hear the animals" and animal
sounds bits blending seamlessly with the animal sounds on the backing track.

For my new version I use Great Shape with an echo effect from the Mic Luv version,
a couple of snippets from thePsych Smile tapes, Barnyard from Purple Chick Smile, a quick
snippet of George Fell... then end with the fade out with just Brian on Piano with his "Let's hear the
animals" bit. I also made a medley out of Look and Tones that I labled Look (Sea of Tones,) heh.
The only bit from BWPS I used is on Cabinessence. I used the Purple Chick version of
Cabinessence that creates a fake proper ending to the 20/20 mix. I put Can't Wait Too Long in on the long version and concluded with a 6 minute Surf's Up. It starts with Van Dyke taking about piano rolls then the majority of Surf's Up from Odeon Smile but
using the Surf's Up album version for the outro.

One segue that I find I keep going back to is the 'melting' cello at the end of Painter segueing with Child is of Father of the Man. I find the musicbox-eque ending of Worms goes well with the '66 version of Wonderful too and that Look works nicely as an overture to Good Vibrations.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 09:03:23 AM by Music Machine » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2011, 07:14:56 AM »

That sounds v interesting!

I'm working on something which keeps the batshit insane qualities of other Smiles I've heard whilst trying to reconcile it into something that would have been actually released. I have a side 1, with the rough tracklisting of (from my earlier post),

1. Smile Promo (faded in, so it starts at 'Smile is the name...')
2. Prayer session excerpts (Just 'This is the intro/then Carl going 'Brian, direct ok?' and then a deep breath)
3. Prayer (with the laughter at the end!)
4. The Cantina (A nice little overture of Western themes, sounds real pretty coming from Prayer, and Mike gets the first lead on Smile!)
5. Gee (Standard)
6. Western Theme, with normal flutter tone now
7. Heroes & Villains, going off the Humble Harv demo - So we have the verse and acapella break (Alternate versions), then I'm In Great Shape, the tape explosion going into Barnyard (Both Purple Chick, cos of vocals), YOU'RE UNDER ARREST, La-la verse, then a tape-whirr to for My Children Were Raised, at 3 score and 5, Soul Made Beautiful, then the arrangement they use at the start of the False Barnyard session, because I prefer it, and fade.....
8.The Old Master Painter
9. Heroes & Villains theme (you know, the one with piano, then harpsichord)
10. Do You Dig Worms, with some jigging about so Biycle Rider is the 2nd chorus. After the 2nd Bicycle Rider, the Bag of Tricks introduction. I really want to use 'Mahalo Lu Lei' somewhere in the project, though.
11. The solo Child piano, with 'Swedish Frog' laid on top. They 'climax' at the last chord.
12. Wonderful (with an instrumental verse as an intro)
13. Child Is the Father Of The Man - I've messed about with this a lot. Starts with piano and horn, then the 'easy my child' bit, then the chimes and drum section, the chorus, and then the piano and vocal chorus.
14. Heroes & Villains (Reprise) - Tag to Part 1, then the last two Heroes chants, Sunny Down Snuff and Bridge to Indians.
15. Cabin Essence - With the 'Doings' as intro verse, and an acapella fade!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2011, 09:07:26 AM »

That's what I was aiming for with my long Smile too, I used some of Dj Mic Luv's concepts but put into a more straightforward tracklisting.

Another thing I did on the new long version of Smile I made was use the short 'mama mama mama mama' chant as a transition from the first Americana section into the second Elements section.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2011, 09:38:38 AM »

The only thing I have really messed with, in relation to SMiLE mixing, is the element suite. I have made mixes before, but have never really edited a full album together.

I found that the outro drums on 'Fire' match near perfectly to the first hammer hits in 'Workshop' - I overlaid workshop in the last two seconds of PurpleChick's 'Mrs. O Leary's Cow' and the clink clink clink of the hammer matches perfectly with the drums going bum bum bum. Thus, I put workshop directly after 'Fire' and it fit wonderfully....almost as if that is what Brian had intended - probably not, but it does match up quite well.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
DAMAGED
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 20, 2011, 02:44:42 AM »

Here's my mix.

1. Untitled Instrumental [Spanish Guitar Piece] (Secret SMiLE Disc 2)
2. Heroes & Villians (Hawthorne)
3. Holidays (Odeon)
4. Heroes & Villians [Intro] (GV Box - Actually Fire Intro)
5. Do You Like Worms (Odeon)
6. Cabinessence (Extended Intro added* GV Box)
7. Heroes & Villians [Sections] (GV Box)
8. Prayer (GV Box)
9. Wonderful (Extended Intro added* Vigotone) (GV Box)
10. Child Is The Father Of The Man (Jazzy Part inserted at the start* Odeon)
11. Look (Odeon)
12. VegaTables (Hawthorne)
13. Wind Chimes (Extended Intro added* Secret SMiLE Disc 1) (GV Box)
14. Elements Part 1 [Fire] (Secret SMiLE Disc 2)
15. Waterchant (Odeon Cut from Cool, Cool, Water)
16. I Love To Say Da Da (Odeon)
17. Surfs Up [Instrumental + Demo] (Odeon)

*I didn't like how some of the songs started vocals straight away, with no musical introduction. I really enjoy the instrumental versions of the songs songs too, so I decided to often edit in the instrumental version (or part) of the song first.
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: March 21, 2011, 12:54:34 PM »

New year... new mix

Our Prayer
Good Vibrations/Gee
Heroes & Villains
You're Welcome
Do You Like Worms?
Barnyard
The Old Master Painter
You Are My Sunshine
Cabinessence
Holidays
Windchimes
Mrs. O Leary's Cow
I Love To Say Dada
I Wanna Be Around/Friday Night
Vegetables
Wonderful
Surf's Up

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 21, 2011, 12:58:40 PM »

Protip - Using Look as an 'Overture' to Good Vibrations is good. Using the 'Twelfth Street Rag' part to link them together is priceless  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 22, 2011, 01:08:09 PM »

Here's my mix.

1. Untitled Instrumental [Spanish Guitar Piece] (Secret SMiLE Disc 2)
2. Heroes & Villians (Hawthorne)
3. Holidays (Odeon)
4. Heroes & Villians [Intro] (GV Box - Actually Fire Intro)
5. Do You Like Worms (Odeon)
6. Cabinessence (Extended Intro added* GV Box)
7. Heroes & Villians [Sections] (GV Box)
8. Prayer (GV Box)
9. Wonderful (Extended Intro added* Vigotone) (GV Box)
10. Child Is The Father Of The Man (Jazzy Part inserted at the start* Odeon)
11. Look (Odeon)
12. VegaTables (Hawthorne)
13. Wind Chimes (Extended Intro added* Secret SMiLE Disc 1) (GV Box)
14. Elements Part 1 [Fire] (Secret SMiLE Disc 2)
15. Waterchant (Odeon Cut from Cool, Cool, Water)
16. I Love To Say Da Da (Odeon)
17. Surfs Up [Instrumental + Demo] (Odeon)

*I didn't like how some of the songs started vocals straight away, with no musical introduction. I really enjoy the instrumental versions of the songs songs too, so I decided to often edit in the instrumental version (or part) of the song first.

I want to listen to this.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2011, 05:48:58 PM »

I guess it's time to dust off my most current SMiLE mix, now that it promises to become obsolete soon (knock on wood)...

I call it the "kitchen sink" SMiLE because I just went absolutely nuts with it. I threw EVERYTHING into the pot, historical accuracy be damned.

My full tracklist goes like this (all tracks flow together, by the way, and it was difficult naming and indexing the tracks as a result):

Disc One
1. Our Prayer
2. Heroes And Villains Part 1
3. Heroes And Villains Part 2
4. Barnyard Suite
5. The Old Master Painter
6. Child Is Father Of The Man
7. Soul Made Beautiful
8. Wonderful
9. Good Vibrations Overture
10. Good Vibrations
11. Holidays
12. Cabin Essence

Disc Two
1. Well, You're Welcome
2. I'm In Great Shape
3. My Vega-Tables
4. The Hazards Of Smog
5. Wind Chimes
6. Mrs. O'Leary's Cow
7. Rebuilding After The Fire
8. Water Chant
9. I Love To Say Da Da
10. Roll Plymouth Rock
11. Diamond Head
12. Surf's Up
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 06:22:49 PM by Catbirdman » Logged

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 25, 2011, 09:46:05 PM »

And yet another:

(prayer)
Surf's Up
Do You Like Worms
Wonderful
Good Vibrations
The Old Master Painter
Child Is Father Of The man

Cabin Essence
Wind Chimes
The Elements
Vega-Tables
I'm In Great Shape
Heroes And Villains
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2011, 06:03:57 AM »

OK SMiLE mixers...I'm back to report on my latest project.

I decided, after reading in another thread about some master-tape discoveries, that I would finally attempt an LP length SMiLE fan mix.  I established a few criteria to begin with, and after thinking about it a few days, these were the parameters I set for myself.

1.  "Heroes And Villains" must include "I'm In Great Shape", "Barnyard", "The Old Master Painter", and "You Are My Sunshine".

2.  "Good Vibrations" must be a part of the playlist (as I'm sure Capitol Records would have absolutely demanded of any finished '67 version of SMiLE).

3.  The playlist must include every title listed on the back of the SMiLE sleeves that were printed up in '67.

4.  While some tracks would certainly include "modular" segues connecting sections (and some of those tracks would most likely be "medleys" of two or more titles), nevertheless each actual track must be set apart to itself with a band of silence, in keeping with both Van Dyke Parks' and Brian Wilson's known recollections of how the album was planned in '66-'67.  

5.  Most importantly, it all must "flow" well as an album, and clock in at under 40 minutes, with each side coming in at no more than 20 minutes max (all of these timings would be acceptible--if just a little on the  long side--in 1967).

So, here's what I came up with.  I call it:

REVEREND ROCK'S LP-LENGTH VERSION OF "SMiLE '67"

"Side One"

1.  Prayer (or "Intro")

2.  Heroes And Villains (Feb. 67 mix)/I'm In Great Shape/Barnyard/The Old Master Painter/You Are My Sunshine
(with "Heroes And Villains Intro" at the beginning as well as a "reprise" of H&V utilizing the slow vocal tag and "False Barnyard"--included but not listed)

3. Do You Like Worms

4. Cabinessence
(These opening four selections more-or-less constitute an "Americana" suite, if one wants to hear it that way.)

5. He Gives Speeches/Wonderful
(I've always heard these as companion pieces.  "Wonderful" is the Good Vibrations box set version, with a faded ending.  Did a pitch correction on "Speeches" so that the two songs are now in the same key--the melodic/thematic/lyrical connections between these two pieces are astounding.)

"Side Two"

1.  Good Vibrations
(The single--no tricks)

2. Vege-Tables/Child Is Father Of The Man
(I base this "medley" on the fact that takes of both "Vege-Tables" and "Child..." included the "bop bop bop bop, du-du du du-du du" section, so it's conceivable that Brian envisioned them as two parts of the same piece at some point, and I happen to like them together quite a bit.)

3. Windchimes (Air)
(A version from the 60s sessions that includes the instrumental part made famous in BWPS--courtesy of "ragmajesty's SMiLE" fan mix.)

4. The Elements (Water/Earth/Fire)
["Windchimes" has already been snuck into the proceedings to take care of "Air".  The remaining elements are represented as follows:  Water by "Water Chant" (with water sounds added), Earth by "Bag of Tricks" (with farm animal sounds added), and Fire by "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow" (with the sound of crackling flames added)--all of the sound effects courtesy of "ragmajesty's SMiLE" fan mix, yet again.]

5. Surf's Up
(A special version I've concocted using a couple of boot sources and the "Child..." coda from the '71 recording)

It all clocks in at around 38 minutes, and each "side" is of an acceptible length as well.  All in all, it totally passes my test for an enjoyable listening experience that I think would have certainly blown some minds had it been released in '67.

Regrets?  Plenty!  No "Look".  No "Holidays".  No "Da Da".  Not enough "Heroes And Villains Sessions"...but lots of stuff would have to have been sacrificed to make a SMiLE album that could have been released in '67, so I took a true "no mercy" approach.  In spite of everything, this came out really nice, I think.

SOME NOTES ON TRACKING

I thought very much about a satisfying tracking order, because that to me is the most consistant weakness in the SMiLE mixes I've heard.  I felt like there is enough historical evidence that a true "Americana Suite" was planned, so I tried to come up with that to take up most of "Side One".  It made sense to me to follow SMiLE 2004's pattern by breaking up the "Americana Suite" to introduce the "sexual/life-cycle" theme with "He Gives Speeches/Wonderful".  Ending "Side One" with a tender ballad was something I thought would be really nice as well.  "Good Vibrations" kicking off "Side Two" is something there is very strong historical precedent for (since that's exactly what happens on Smiley Smile), and it also continues the "sexual/life-cycle" theme.

While many would question putting "Vege-Tables" into the middle of all this "sexual/life-cycle" stuff, I still contend that it was something Brian must have strongly considered doing, based on the aforementioned "bop bop" link that might have connected "Vege-Tables" to "Child Is Father Of The Man".  Since food is essential to life, there is also a clear lyrical/thematic connection that can be drawn.

Ending "The Elements" with Fire is something that not everyone would agree with, but to me it is just so very effective to have the Fire music be the last thing one hears before a song which features the phrase "collumnated ruins domino"!

I have always believed that any 1967 release of SMiLE would have ended with "Surf's Up".  It's just too much of a show-stopper to work anywhere else, in my opinion.  The thing that was hardest for me to accept about SMiLE 2004 was having "Surf's Up" in the middle--but I'm fine with it at this point.  

Heroes and Villains --

Strangely (or not) I've just done an 8:27 mix of H&V which sounds very much like yours

Its uses BWPS and is:

Gee>H&V up until the end of the chorus section after the acapella part around 5:04 (including Gee)

Then into I'm in Great Shape (up to flutter part which is faded into Barnyard

Then into OMP/YAMS before revisiting H&V at the aaah aaah aaaah vocal part which goes up the scale and into final C&W theme part with the clip clops (before the added strings from BWPS come in)

The end is a bit unsatisfying at the mo but I love it

Cheers

Richard
jonjameshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 04, 2011, 12:48:02 PM »

Hi all,

First post an all :-) So hope I don't embarrass myself by saying, I'm currently on a MONO trip, so I'm working on a "SMiLE mono reduction" using best of Mok and Purplechick mixes. Funny how the BWPS bits of purplechick blend so much nicer in mono :-)

J xxx
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 11, 2011, 11:03:59 PM »

This is my first mix. I've been working with it for about a month, still not done but I'm almost there.

side one

1. Heroes And Villains (prayer/cantina/bicycle rider)
2. I'm In Great Shape (piano demo/instrumental)
3. Barnyard (with piano demo vocals)
4. Do You Like Worms? (+ bicycle rider theme)
5. Heroes And Villains Part 2 (gee/chants/all day/bag of tricks/he gives speeches)
6. The Old Master Painter/My Only Sunshine
7. Cabinessence
8. Wonderful
9. Child Is Father Of The Man

side two

1. Good Vibrations (early version)
2. Vega-Tables
3. Holidays
4. Wind Chimes (+ been way too long/cool ending)
5. The Elements (fire/workshop/air/water chant)
6. Love To Say Da Da
7. Look
8. Surf's Up

air=wind chimes piano part

I know Been Way Too Long wasn't recorded in the Smile-era but I love it so much and it fits really good with Wind Chimes. I'm not sure how to incorporate With Me Tonight and You're Welcome but I think I'll find some way.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 11:14:04 PM by homeontherange » Logged
jonjameshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 13, 2011, 02:51:47 AM »

Your welcome segues into wind chimes nicely :-)
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 02, 2011, 02:06:58 AM »

Updated my mix if anyone cares  Grin :

1. Heroes And Villains (prayer/h&v/cantina)
2. Barnyard Suite (alt. h&v intro/i'm in great shape piano demo + instrumental/barnyard with demo vocals/old master painter/your only sunshine)
3. Do You Like Worms (+ bicycle rider)
4. Gee (+ h&v chants/h&v intro/all day)
5. He Gives Speeches
6. Cabinessence
7. Wonderful
8. Child Is Father of the Man

9. Good Vibrations (early version)
10. Vega-Tables (with me tonight/vega-tables '66 version)
11. Wind Chimes (alternate take + vocals)
12. The Elements (fire - mrs. o'leary's cow/earth - friday night/air - holidays/water - water chant + love to say da da)
13. Look (+ you're welcome)
14. Surf's Up (brian vocals)

It's still too long though...

Btw, what's up with having Prayer as a seperate song? I remember hearing a prayer session that went something like this:

Al: Ah, this is really good. This could be a track on the album
Brian: Nah, we don't wanna do that. This is just an intro to the album
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 02:15:29 AM by homeontherange » Logged
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 05, 2011, 11:33:27 PM »

I've always liked the Cantina version of H&V sequenced before Cabinessence... An awesome 1-2-3 punch to kick off a record.
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 05, 2011, 11:53:40 PM »

Oh man! "H&V Intro" in "Barnyard Suite" is brilliant. Feels like a "duh" moment for me.

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 06, 2011, 08:34:08 AM »

Oh man! "H&V Intro" in "Barnyard Suite" is brilliant. Feels like a "duh" moment for me.

Just overdubbed the two in garageband....fits perfectly and sounds surprisingly awesome.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 13, 2011, 03:39:33 PM »

So here's the mix I'm planning to put together. It's not a traditional mix, but I think it's going to work really well. My main goal was to have it make sense/feel complete/feel like the modular symphony that it was meant to be.

(Prayer)

1. Good Vibrations

2. Wind Chimes [based on Vosse's description]
- GV Box version: up to the end of the verses
- Meant for You: just the vocal tag that fades out
- GV Box version: the chorus through the end

3. Vega-Tables
- GV Box: up until "Mom and dad say ..."
- GV Box: "Do A Lot" chant - the fuller one at the end
- GV Box: back in where the first "Do A Lot" ends "da-da-da" through "I burst into laughter"
- Demo: "Tripped on a cornucopia"
- GV Box: "Bop-bop-bop-bop Doo-doo..." through "the name of your, your favorite vega-table"
- Vega-tables Tag

4. Home on the Range
- Old Master Painter
- You Were My Sunshine (w/ vocals)
- Cabbinessence: "Home on the Range" (verse 1)
- "With Me Tonight" (slow version)
- Cabinessence: "Home on the Range" (verse 2
- "With Me Tonight" (fast version) - Fade out

5. The Iron Horse
- Do You Like Worms: "Bicycle Rider ... to the Church of the American Indian"
- "Woo Woo" from before "Under Arrest" on "Heroes & Villains"
- Cabinessence: "Who Ran the Iron Horse" 1st Chorus
- Do You Like Worms: "Ribbon of concrete ... to the Church of the American Indian"
- Cabinessence: Who Ran the Iron Horse (truck driving man) through the end including Grand Coolie and Over and Over

6. Barnyard
- "Soul Made Beautiful"
- I'm in Great Shape
- Barnyard
- Holidays (One verse & "Whisperin"-style outro)

7. Wonderful
- GV Box: The first verse through first "one,one wonderful" and the first piano bridge
- "He Gives Speeches": through "led him to discover"
- GV Box: "She knew how ... boy bumped into her one, one wonderful" and second piano bridge
- "He Gives Speeches": "Silken hair ... shadowed on the ceiling"
- GV Box: "All fall down ... and thank god for one, one wonderful"
- I Wanna Be Around/Wood Shop

8. Heroes & Villains
"Pt. 1"
- Cantina version: through the "doo doo" scat, stopping before the cantina section
- GV Box, Heroes & Villains Sections: Gee/How I Love My Girl/"Doo Doo Doo Heroes & Villains" chorus (medium speed)
- Cantina version: Cantina section through "You're under arrest"
- GV Box, Heroes & Villains Sections: "Doo Doo Doo Heroes & Villains" chorus (slow speed)
- Cantina vesion: Tape Explosion
"Pt. 2"
- GV Box, Heroes & Villains Intro
- Cantina version: "My children were raised ... still got the jive to survive with the heroes and villains"
- Single version: "La la la la ... and it's all an affair of my life with the heroes and villains"
- "Flutter Tone"
- Single version: "I've been in this town ... I'm all right by the heroes and --"
- GV Box, Heroes & Villains Sections: "Doo Doo Doo Heroes & Villains" chorus (fast speed)
- "Country Western Theme" aka "Prelude to Fade"
- "Bridge to Indians"
- "Barnshine"

9. Do You Like Worms?
- Welcome
- GV Box [with "Bicycle Rider" sections excised] fading out on "Hawaiian Chant"

10. Elements
- Fire with SFX
- Sunflower Cool, Cool Water: "Water Chant"
- Air Dada

11. Child is the Father of the Man
- with R&B sounding version as the tag

12. Surf's Up
- Brian's solo demo

(Prayer)

Here's the thinking behind the choices:

Prayer: Up top and at the end because there are quotes from people saying both, and on BWPS it's on both, and who's ever had too much of it?

Good Vibrations: I think it's best to get it out early and move on. Plus, you've already peaked interest with Prayer so you know something big is in store.

Wind Chimes: I think this does the best job of making you smile early on, the surprise of the chorus is just so fun and let's you know how much of a treat you're in for.

Vega-Tables: Keeping the smiling going. And in my mind it celebrates healthy living, with drugs as a part of that. To me the whole song sounds a bit like a retort to Murray Wilson. After all there's this from Nolan's California Saga article:

Nolan: What did you think when you read Brian had experimented with LSD?
Murray Wilson: I said, 'You know, Brian, one thing God gives you is a brain, if you play with it and destroy it, you're dead, you're a vegetable.''

It's not hard for me to imagine, Murray calling Brian's friends a bunch of vegetables, and then Brian and Van writing a song to say, yeah we're vegetables, and we LOVE vegetables.

Home on the Range: I opted to split up "Cabinessence". As good as they SOUND together, they don't make too much SENSE together and there's evidence that at one point they were their own songs. As a song for Dennis to sing as "funky cat up in the mountains singing", it made sense to combine it with OMP/YAMS as Old Master Painter's lyrics start "The old master painter from the far away hills" and Dennis sings YAMS. I threw "With Me Tonight" in because it needs a big chorus and it fits the theme. Story wise, this is where the "Smile journey" starts. A guy singing to his girl promising all that America has to offer.

The Iron Horse: A meditation on traveling across the country and in a way "tripping".

Barnyard: Getting to the home on the range and having fun. "Holidays" is in here as the "chicken ballet".

Wonderful: Incorporated "He gives speeches". They're just too similar lyrically to separate, and without it, Wonderful is a weirdly simplistic, albeit beautiful, song in an otherwise breathtakingly complicated album that was too be a modular symphony. I know some people don't like He Gives Speeches, I do. "I Wanna Be Around/Workshop" seems like a fitting tag to this story of young love, though it's probably the piece I'm most up in the air about.

Heroes & Villains: I'm a believer of the two part single. I prefer not to use the Smiley Version chorus, especially since there's already plenty of chorus's to play with.

Do You Like Worms: As a journey, this is the capper. We've just left the Old West town, hence throwing "Welcome" in up top and has the Indians behind them as they head to the Sandwich Isles/Hawaii. I don't really understand how it can be a kick off to the "journey".

Elements:  Fire, Water, Air. The end of the American Journey theme and entry into something more spiritual and metaphysical.

Child is the Father of the Man: I imagine that this was kind of a reworking of Look (the only substantial piece I think I left off).

Surf's Up: After all the complexity there's something really great about Brian's solo version at the end.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 03:42:40 PM by doinnothin » Logged

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 14, 2011, 11:36:41 AM »

At the moment...

Side One:
Our Prayer
      (GV box with or without Gee, depending on my mood)
Heroes And Villains
      (trombone riff/cantina version thru tape explosion/single from first chorus/ending ala BWPS)
Do You Like Worms
      (with Bicycle Rider choruses & BWPS verses)
Barnyard (Suite)
      (Barnyard/TOMP/YAMS/Barnshine fade)
Cabin Essence
      (20/20)
Wonderful
      (GV Box)
Child Is Father Of The Man
      (3 minute edit with chorus vocals)

Side One:
You're Welcome
      (or not, depending on my mood)
Good Vibrations
      (single)
I'm In Great Shape
      (IIGS [Humble Harv w/ fx/'66 tack/BWPS]/IWBA[BWPS]/Workshop['66 track])
Vega-Tables
      (Purple Chick)
Wind Chimes
      (GV box...usually)
The Elements*
      ("H&V Intro"/Fire/Fall Breaks/All Day/Dada/Water Chant - 2 themes, 4 elements)
Surf's Up
      (Anne Wallace, of course - Child chorus closes out each side)

*Alternate Elements
      ("H&V Intro"/Fire/Cornicopia Vega-Tables/Wind Chimes TAG/Water Chant)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 12:41:19 PM by Phoenix » Logged
JMZ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: May 16, 2011, 02:46:20 AM »

Hello,

I've not finished my own SMiLE mix, but as far as it goes, this would be something like:

Side A:

Americana Suite
- Our Prayer/Gee
- Heroes & Villains (incl. The Barnyard suite which consists in: BWPS H&V version up to "lamb bee dooo bee doowaahhh" then I'm In Great Shape/Cantina section/Barnyard/Swedish Frog/ then we come back to "my children were raised, etc" ending ala BWPS).
- Do You Like Worms (a very different construction of the song).
- The Old Master Painter/ You Are My Sunshine (but I consider to remove these two).
- Cabinessence.

The Elements
- Intro (=Fire or H&V intro)
- Vegetables
- Water Chant
- Wind Chimes
- Fire

Side B:

Adult/Child
- Surf's Up
- Holidays (you should hear own "whispering winds" segues with wonderful, and after all, aren't holidays very important childhood moments ? I never understood why "Holidays" was part of The Elements)
- Wonderful
- Look
- Child Is Father Of The Man
- Love To Say Dada/Prayer reprise (ala BWPS)
- Good Vibrations

BiG GRiN
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: May 17, 2011, 03:38:35 PM »

- "Gee" by The Crows/Jan & Dean
- "El Paso" by Marty Robbins
- "Peace In The Valley" by The Patuxent Partners
- "Roll Columbia Roll (Gran Coulee Dam)" by Woody Guthrie
- "Old Mc Donald" various versions
- "Barnyard Blues" by Original Dixieland Jazz Band
- "The Old Master Painter" by Dick Haymes
- "You Are My Sunshine" by Jimmie Davis
- "Waiting for a train" by Jimmie Rodgers
- "I've been working on the railroad" by The Tinseltown Players
- "Home on the range" by Gene Autry/Roy Rodgers
- "Frere Jacques/Brother John" by Fred Koch
- "Long Ago Tomorrow" by Burt Bacharach
- "I Wanna Be Around" by Julie London
- "In Old Chicago" (the story of Mrs O Leary's Cow) 1937 MOVIE by Henry King *
- "Cool Water" by The Sons Of The Pioneers
- "Blue Hawaii" by Henri Mancini/Elvis Presley
- "Ukulele Lady" by Duke Kamoku
- "The Pirates Of Penzance: I'm A Pirate King" by D'Oyly Carte Opera Company And Orchestra
- "Long Long Ago" by Jerry Gray And His Orchestra/Ellen & John Wright

* During the scene of the great fire, you can hear bells and whistles, really close to "Fire intro"!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 17, 2011, 03:41:46 PM »

Say, you aren't the same Big Grin who made a Smile mix/outtakes compilation a few years back, right? That's one of my favourites!

BiG GRiN
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: May 17, 2011, 04:06:29 PM »

Say, you aren't the same Big Grin who made a Smile mix/outtakes compilation a few years back, right? That's one of my favourites!
I am the same, the one and only. I just haven't been on the board for longtime. And yes, I agree with you, this one of my favorites SMiLE mix I made! Grin
based on songs who have had a great influence on Brian and Van Dyke to create SMiLE in 66. Each fans of SMiLE should try this mix! believe me!  Wink
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx