gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 06:20:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I hate the Beatles  (Read 17964 times)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2009, 06:13:49 AM »

So what's everybody's favorite Yoko song? I like "Walking on Thin Ice", which is quite the disco smasher:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J7X7s8S1ns
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2009, 07:34:45 AM »

I thought that by "Yoko hate," sofonanm was referring to people who hate her as a person, not people who hate her art, or music, or whatever it is. There are plenty of people who just can't stand her as a person, and I don't understand that except to say that it _is_ rooted in sexism and racism. It was jarring in the 60s for people to see a white Englishman with a Japanese woman-- and for her to be participating in everything he did when she "should have been" in the background, well, that was jarring too. And now I don't know if that's what people are thinking when they call her an ugly b**** and all that, but there's something behind it more than not caring for her "art." Yoko fascinates me. I don't like her art either, but she is one tough woman, and she's been through a hell of a lot.

The Beatles were beloved, considered the greatest group on earth.  Suddenly Yoko became John's priority, the band took a backseat, and I think a lot of fans resented that.  And of course there are all the stories about her bringing a bed into the recording studio, or members of the band having to reach around her to fiddle with their own amplifiers, etc.  The perception seemed to be, "who the hell does she think she is?" 

But of course the person that fans should have been angry with was John.  She wouldn't have been anywhere near if John hadn't wanted her there.  But he was John Lennon, a beloved Beatle, so people would rather blame her than him.       

Edited to add: the guitar in "Walking On Thin Ice" has always reminded me of "Just Like The White Wing Dove".  Razz

« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 07:40:01 AM by Menace Wilson » Logged

"Jeff, you care." --BW
JB Wilojarston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2009, 10:54:06 AM »

So what's everybody's favorite Yoko song? I like "Walking on Thin Ice", which is quite the disco smasher:

Fave Yoko song: MIND TRAIN!!! "dub dub...dub dub... dub-dub train passed through my mi-i-i-i-i-ind." Fantastic track.

Not really a fan, but this one kills me. JB W
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2009, 11:47:24 AM »

That was on Fly, wasn't it? That's actually a pretty cool album if you're in the right mood. My favorite track on that one has to be "You".
l00cid
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2009, 09:53:54 PM »

i took some lsd once and heard "rain" and i felt like john was speaking the truest words i had ever heard.  anyone ever notice that that song and the jesus story about the disciples in the ship during the storm are very very similar?  im 26 now, discovered the beatles after me and my highschool gf broke up.  revolver was the album...songs like here there and everywhere and for no one spoke directly to my soul...i'm only sleeping aptly applied to my college state of mind.  she said she said and tomorrow never knows totally resonated with my drug drenched paradigm.  the beatles just clicked for me during my late teenage early 20s years.  overrated yes, but damn their music is like in my dna or something.
same as some of the beach boys stuff.  my poor gf has suffered through hours upon hours of smile bootleg listening.  but there was this time that don't talk came on and we just held each other and cried and damn if that music wasn't the most beautiful thing i'd ever heard.  i'm not too sure why i posted this...to answer the original thread i think some people hear it and some people don't.  i feel blessed that i hear it.  much love.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2009, 04:00:44 AM »

I prefer this remix so much more. fits the lyrics better. whaddya think?

http://www.imeem.com/pitchforkmedia/music/m6T5_UVV/walking-on-thin-ice/

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2014, 01:45:02 AM »

Most people I've met don't like the Beatles. At all.

Their loss, really
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2014, 06:03:09 AM »

Heh, that's a good one. I don't hate Yoko, it's more that I just don't care much about her, but when I hear her doing her wailing or whatever you want to call it, I can't help but shudder.
Right you are! John was out of his mind when he got her involved in all the Beatles' & solo studio sessions. She shouldn't be allowed to sing at all, full stop. If she'd ever had talent - and I believe that everybody has a knack at least at 1 thing - that is definitely not singing.

Btw, same can be said about Paul's Linda. Just listen to her Wide Prairie record & you'll understand me.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2014, 07:48:10 AM »

Heh, that's a good one. I don't hate Yoko, it's more that I just don't care much about her, but when I hear her doing her wailing or whatever you want to call it, I can't help but shudder.
Right you are! John was out of his mind when he got her involved in all the Beatles' & solo studio sessions. She shouldn't be allowed to sing at all, full stop. If she'd ever had talent - and I believe that everybody has a knack at least at 1 thing - that is definitely not singing.

Btw, same can be said about Paul's Linda. Just listen to her Wide Prairie record & you'll understand me.

I've always enjoyed Yoko's contribution to "Birthday".  It wouldn't be the same song without her high pitched "Birthday" backing vocals.

Completely disagree about Linda McCartney.  Not saying that she was a great singer but she has a couple of very good songs.  "The White Coated Man" absolutely rocks, I wish Macca would perform it himself.  She also has a couple of nice eighties power ballads on "Wide Prairie" as well.  Linda McCartney in my opinion was the type of singer that if you featured her in the right type of song, she could pull it off decently if not acceptably.  It was just the matter of finding the right vehicle for her which was a bit of a hit & miss proposition. 

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2014, 08:50:15 AM »

if you don't like Yoko, you are playing the game of existence wrong

One of my favorite comedy bits, and it's about Yoko's stupid wailing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss0XNOWvzlU (not safe for work, lots of language)

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2014, 04:13:03 PM »

I really like "Move On Fast."  That's a cool one.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wUcUaPlUzFs

bluesno1fann
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2014, 04:20:32 PM »

I get the chills whenever I listen to this (which isn't often anyway).

To think that what happened was:
John and Yoko finished mixing this song one night, and the song is essentially complete now.
They then decide to go back home to see Sean.
They get home.
John gets shot and killed.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2014, 07:18:58 PM »

I'm not much into Yoko's music but I never had a problem with her at all.  John had every right to be with whoever he wanted, she didn't mess up any sessions more than Linda did.

With that said, I really liked Linda.  I like hearing her sing backup on Paul's songs, loved the live stuff she did with them, the whole idea of wings including her, a guy and his wife making a rock band.... etc. I've got a lot of respect for her.  She wasn't a great singer but for what they were doing, she didn't have to be.  Most of the Wings music was just fun music, anybody could have sang it and that anybody was Linda.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2014, 07:22:40 PM »

I'm not much into Yoko's music but I never had a problem with her at all.  John had every right to be with whoever he wanted, she didn't mess up any sessions more than Linda did.

I don't buy that for one second. Yoko was vocally present, offering up her suggestions, had her bed on the studio floor during the LIB sessions, shrieked during jams. Linda.....she just kept to herself and quietly observed.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2014, 07:38:19 PM »

Linda's presence disrupted the band, she was an outsider and it gave Paul 'power' basically.  So John did the same thing. 

Like I said I don't have any problem with either one of them, but as insecure as John was just Linda being in the studio was enough to f*** with his mind. 

Sure Yoko shrieking probably pissed people off but neither one of them should have been in the studio, and I've read Paul say the same thing before about his own wife!
Dead Parrot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2014, 10:26:11 AM »

Linda's presence disrupted the band, she was an outsider and it gave Paul 'power' basically.  So John did the same thing. 

IIRC, the first time John took Yoko to a Beatles recording session was the recording of "Hey Bulldog" in February 1968, albeit just as a guest. She didn't start coming to the studio with John full time, until they became a couple in May. Linda didn't appear on the scene until around September of 1968.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2014, 11:36:00 AM »

I love Goodbye Happiness and It Happened.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2014, 01:04:57 PM »

Linda's presence disrupted the band, she was an outsider and it gave Paul 'power' basically.  So John did the same thing.  

IIRC, the first time John took Yoko to a Beatles recording session was the recording of "Hey Bulldog" in February 1968, albeit just as a guest. She didn't start coming to the studio with John full time, until they became a couple in May. Linda didn't appear on the scene until around September of 1968.

Paul brought Francie Schwartz around to a number of the early "White Album" sessions and I believe for a very short period of time that John, Yoko, Paul and Francie shared a flat together.  Jane Asher would also frequently attend Beatles sessions although not those held at EMI.  She was however a frequent guest to their BBC Sessions and would sit up in the control room with the producer Terry Henebery.  Henebery was a jazz fan and couldn't stand The Beatles and initially unbeknownst to them would often spend most of the BBC sessions berating them in the control room stating that they were horrible and knew nothing about music.  However, Henebery never realized that Asher was McCartney's girlfriend and was promptly reporting back to The Beatles everything he was saying about them.  Judging from the photographs that exist from the Beatlemania years, it seems that Asher had far more access to The Beatles' professional lives than any of the other girlfriends probably because she too was part of the entertainment industry at the time.  
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 01:05:51 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2014, 01:28:04 PM »

I like Yoko's music more than I like anything by The Beatles, collectively or solo.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2014, 07:45:42 PM »

Just one link:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15880.msg388393.html#msg388393
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 07:48:31 PM by SMiLE-addict » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx