gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:47:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love's songwriting  (Read 11477 times)
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2006, 09:36:36 PM »

How does Mike write music if he doesn't know how to play anything?  I know he often times is just a collaborator, but there are "Mike Love songs" out there...

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 10:13:04 PM »

As far as I know, he usually just came up with some good hooks (suggesting them as Brian played demos).

The things she does to me when she makes love to me...
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 10:33:29 PM »

He's been the frontman of one of the largest bands of all time for the past 40 years... he probably just has a good understanding of basic music theory, although he doesn't play any instruments.  He's probably been in the studio while hundreds of songs were recorded and picked up simple chord progressions and such along the way. 
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 10:36:16 PM »

I always figured he'd just sing the melody to Carl or somebody, and Carl would transcribe the chords charts.  No knowledge of theory necessary!

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 10:44:53 PM »

I have little to no knowledge of theory, and yet have written/recorded over 1000 songs in 5 years, so it certainly is possible.

The songs off the top of my head that Mike wrote by himself : Everyone's in love with you, Big Sur, Brian's Back, and Sumahama...right?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 11:45:54 PM »

The songs off the top of my head that Mike wrote by himself : Everyone's in love with you, Big Sur, Brian's Back, and Sumahama...right?
...and Let The Wind Blow, at least partially.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 02:10:10 AM »

I've seen pictures of him playing the guitar before.. and he does play the saxophone.

Before I could play the guitar, I would sing the song to one of my friends who would try to come up with the chords for it.. but it was always a double-composer-credit (not like it matters when you're not selling anything, but still).

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 05:36:46 AM »

If he really did learn the Sax in high school or something (I'm not sure if he knows how to play or it was just a joke for a recording session? Don't think I know the song he plays it on), then he would have the ability to read sheet music and therefore easily know enough to make a basic song.  I think it's transposed, though, isn't it, or is a Sax a "C" instrument?
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 06:09:42 AM »

If he really did learn the Sax in high school or something (I'm not sure if he knows how to play or it was just a joke for a recording session? Don't think I know the song he plays it on), then he would have the ability to read sheet music and therefore easily know enough to make a basic song.  I think it's transposed, though, isn't it, or is a Sax a "C" instrument?

The song is 'Shutdown' - Mike's sax part is a minimalist classic.

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 06:30:32 AM »

You don't need to know theory to write a song.

Watch out for snakes!
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 06:39:51 AM »

He also played the sax live.  There is a killer version of What'd I Say from Sydney where Mike wails away; it is simply the best live track done by the original 5 that has survived.  Had he been serious about that, he could have made a great impact on the BB live sound.  If only...
Evenreven
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 08:03:13 AM »

Intriguing. I haven't heard that. Does he play more than two notes?
Jason
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 08:08:08 AM »

He wails, man.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2006, 08:49:23 AM »

Tenor/Soprano Sax = B flat instruments
Alto/Bari Sax = A flat instruments
 Cool

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 09:18:27 AM »

He's been the frontman of one of the largest bands of all time for the past 40 years... he probably just has a good understanding of basic music theory, although he doesn't play any instruments.  He's probably been in the studio while hundreds of songs were recorded and picked up simple chord progressions and such along the way. 

I guess I just mean, I can whip up a little melody just singing to myself, but if I was going to write a full song, it seems as though I'd want to be able to play either a piano or a guitar to do so.  For example, when Brian talks about writing "Surfer Girl" he says he was in his car.  I remember somebody in an interview asking him how he did so without a piano, and he responded that he was playing the piano in his head, or something along those lines.  I just have to imagine it'd be immensley more productive to have those skills to create a rhythm to build a melody around.

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
matt 1234
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2006, 11:32:56 AM »

its easy, all u have to do is find a genius once in a life time type songwriter and be around. mike love isnt great and he isnt bad, he was just there
mike8902
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2006, 11:54:48 AM »

Alto saxes are actually Eb instruments, and that sax solo on shut down is horrifying. They gave Mike the job of playing two notes and he barely could pull it off.

jabba2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2006, 04:27:11 PM »

I really like Gettin Hungry on SS and that is Mikes voice. Also love him on Funky Pretty. Mike is rely cool when he buys into the song, but his Axl Rose like ego sometimes hurt the band.
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2006, 07:58:31 PM »

I think Mike Love was essential because he was.  I know that sounds odd, but, stick with me...this is equivalent to pontificating The Beatles without Ringo.  Sure, Mr. Starkey won the lottery by getting to be in a group that is, in general, lauded as The Greatest Band of All Time...but that doesn't mean he was NOT essential --- because he was!  I mean, Ringo wrote a couple songs on his own (presumably) and, though they are simple in composition, they are Beatles songs.  Same thing with Mike Love...his hook suggestions for the Beach Boys' songs are remembered by anyone who hears them.

Regardless of talent or lack thereof, it was the chemistry, or a collision (however you want to classify it) of the ideas, personalities, style and sound of performing...the very beings of the individual members together.

I know this doesn't settle anything about his writing...oh, well...

...how 'bout that sax solo he so expertly executed on "Kokomo"?!?  Wink
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2006, 08:32:58 PM »

Wink That wasn't him.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2006, 08:42:22 PM »

Wink That wasn't him.

Ooh, really?  Well, look at that!  That wasn't him!  Sure!  And I'm the Magical Man from Happy-Land, in a gumdrop house on Lollipop Laaaane!  (Oh, by the way, I was being sarcastic!)
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2006, 10:10:56 PM »

I don't really see the correlation between Ringo and Mike.  I think Paul's grandfather from "A Hard Day's Night" would be more analagous.  Besides, they're both bald.

Mike's contribution to the Beach Boys legacy would have been far, far greater if at any point he had agreed to let them spank his head like the little guy on Benny Hill.  That "Endless Summer" TV show would be going into its nineteenth season about now.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2006, 04:15:19 AM »

Actually, it was a session musician that played the saxophone solo on the Kokomo recording.

And I think the band changed with Mike Love. When he was clean cut and shirt-tucked, the band had that feeling as well. His beard sprung up right around the point where the band was becoming more mature. He went to transcendental meditation camp in India and came back with a long beard and a robe, and the Beach Boys became effed-up hippies. When he started becoming more conservative again in his older age, the band returned to "feel good, fun-in-the-sun" music.

Also, I like his singing, most of the time.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2006, 05:11:58 AM »

I don't even agree with the Ringo/Mike point... because in my opinion, they both were very talented.  I think it's a slight to say that Ringo didn't have much talent (when he clearly did, as a drummer!) and I think it's a slight to say that Mike didn't have any talent (which he clearly had, as a singer, frontman, live performer, lyricist).  Although it's easy to say Mike wasn't that talented when you stand him next to a genius like Brian Wilson... in reality, Mike Love has written or co-written some of the best-loved music of all time.  That's not an exxageration or opinion, it's the truth.  There's also certain moments that stand up against pretty much any music before or after, the lyrics to "Warmth of the Sun" are what we usually point at to say "Look, he's f'in GOOD". 

Mikes voice was essential to their early sound, his bass harmonies approach incredible on certain tracks, and the audiences enjoyed him and still do to this day, even though he clearly is nowhere near as good as he once was.  Mike's an asshole, but he's also a legend.

Ringo is so cool for so many reasons I don't even have to mention them, you can just feel 'em.  LOL. 
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2006, 06:28:05 AM »

The comparison of Ringo and Mike was made as an example of what some people erroneously regard as "dispensible members".  I certainly don't think that, but it is a perception: at the time, quite a few fans thought The Beatles were better with Pete Best ("Ringo Never, Pete Best Forever".)  It doesn't mean they were right.  Seems to be a similar line in this thread about Mike.  He added considerably to the group.

Aegir: I know it wasn't Mike on the sax.  Why else would I quote Homer Simpson? Smiley  And I agree, to point: he made himself the flagship member as the group went into the 70s/80s/etc.  I mean, he was the only member I knew about, simply because of "Full House".  Brian who?

Ron: When did I say Ringo and Mike were not talented?  The general opinion is that Ringo is The World's Luckiest Drummer - does that mean I think he "didn't have much talent"?  No...in fact, I agree with you on Ringo's coolness.  (That's probably why The Beatles chose him for their drummer; compared to Pete Best, he was a breath of fresh air in a stuffy room.)  The general opinion on Mike is that he just happened to be a. Brian's cousin b. hanging around.  That is a general opinion.  I didn't say he "didn't have any talent".  To say I agree wholeheartedly with the above theories is to shortchange the members.  Each guy brought something to the table that made the group and made the songs.  So, I said all that to say this: the reports of their expendability are greatly exaggerated.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx