gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:22:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: If you could pick 5 albums to play for Brian Wilson...  (Read 15685 times)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2008, 06:20:43 AM »

I'd play him the American Spring album. From what I've heard, he still really loves that album (and possibly one or both of the singers   Shocked  ).
But I think it might stir him to start talking about the music a bit. After that, he'd probably lose interest, but maybe I'd put together a compilation of songs Brian might like and play it in the background while I chat with him about food. I'd probably also bring him a food-y present...maybe my chocolate molasses cookies, because that might set him at ease.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2008, 08:57:07 AM »

Am I the only one here who, if I were in the unlikely situation of meeting Brian face to face and given an opportunity to play him anything....would play him some of my own compositions?  Sure, I don't have 5 album's worth...YET, but how much time would I have with the old fellow?

It would be interesting to see his reaction.  The worst thing that could happen is he could laugh hysterically, or fall asleep, or tell me to please go away.  I wouldn't take it personally.  Afterall, this is the guy who created Pet Sounds, Good Vibrations and all the rest.  On a positive note, he might hear something he likes and encourage me to keep trying.

If you're gonna daydream, daydream big! 
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2008, 10:46:25 AM »

Am I the only one here who, if I were in the unlikely situation of meeting Brian face to face and given an opportunity to play him anything....would play him some of my own compositions?  Sure, I don't have 5 album's worth...YET, but how much time would I have with the old fellow?

It would be interesting to see his reaction.  The worst thing that could happen is he could laugh hysterically, or fall asleep, or tell me to please go away.  I wouldn't take it personally.  Afterall, this is the guy who created Pet Sounds, Good Vibrations and all the rest.  On a positive note, he might hear something he likes and encourage me to keep trying.

If you're gonna daydream, daydream big! 

That's the spirit, sockittome! Half way through your song, you could say "I can't work out what I should play here" and with any luck Brian would pluck one of his 'money chords' out of thin air - bingo a co-composition with Brian Wilson!!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 10:48:19 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2008, 09:10:32 PM »

Yeah, imagine Brian arranging and reworking your song on the spot and teaching everyone in the room harmony parts to sing...

Ha, if Brian was able to sit through one of my songs for two minutes and not lose interest that'd be validation enough.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rocky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2008, 11:15:03 PM »

Don't know if anyone's already mentiond this, but I'd love to play The Zombies' Odyssey & Oracle to Brian. It's the album from the period that comes closest to sounding like Pet Sounds imo, with all the delicate vocal arrangements. Brian must have heard it - I wonder what he thought? It's a beautiful album.

yes! i love the album and i was just wondering a week or two ago what brian thought of it!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2008, 11:16:29 PM »

Yeah, imagine Brian arranging and reworking your song on the spot and teaching everyone in the room harmony parts to sing...

Ha, if Brian was able to sit through one of my songs for two minutes and not lose interest that'd be validation enough.

Brian would run out of the room screaming if I played him my music as is, but he'd really get into it if I was writing it in front of him. That'd scare the hell out of me, though.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2008, 03:42:56 AM »

1. Florida Suite by Frederick Delius - a beautiful, very descriptive tribute to Florida in the early 20th century by a fairly obscure English composer.

3. Ravel - Le Tombeau De Couperin is in the same vein, only even richer if that's possible.

Delius is hardly obscure - at least here in England. Very strong influence on the orchestral arrangements of Nick  Drake, and I wonder if BW would appreciate the Nick Drake albums - as long as he didn't hear Pink Moon and the story of ND's death.

Ravel's Tombeau is certainly a lovely piece, and in fact a suite of 4 pieces (or 6 for piano), but was written about the fallen in the 1914-18 war, so may prove too depressing... although that theme - of the passing of the older European civilisation, is also relevant to Delius, and of course, via Van Dyke Parks' lyrics, to Surf's Up!!!
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2008, 08:28:16 AM »

1. Florida Suite by Frederick Delius - a beautiful, very descriptive tribute to Florida in the early 20th century by a fairly obscure English composer.

3. Ravel - Le Tombeau De Couperin is in the same vein, only even richer if that's possible.

Delius is hardly obscure - at least here in England. Very strong influence on the orchestral arrangements of Nick  Drake, and I wonder if BW would appreciate the Nick Drake albums - as long as he didn't hear Pink Moon and the story of ND's death.

Ravel's Tombeau is certainly a lovely piece, and in fact a suite of 4 pieces (or 6 for piano), but was written about the fallen in the 1914-18 war, so may prove too depressing... although that theme - of the passing of the older European civilisation, is also relevant to Delius, and of course, via Van Dyke Parks' lyrics, to Surf's Up!!!

Sadly, F. Delius is not well known here, and his music is rarely performed live. I have the Vernon Handley/Ulster Orchestra Florida Suite recording, I used to have Sir Adrian Boult's on LP but it is missing... I'm glad to hear Delius gets more respect in the UK.

I'd pay top dollar to hear our magnificent Chicago Symphony play the Florida Suite!

Despite the subject matter, Le Tombeau is so energetic and lively and full of color that I defy a listener not to enjoy it! The Prelude and Rigaudon are both just spectacular. Menuet is heartbreakingly beautiful and delicate. And followed by the energy and drive of Rigaudon, it's one of the most enoyable pieces of music I have ever heard. I don't find it depressing at all. It could just as easily be about a busy Paris street scene!   Smiley

Thanks so much for your comments too!!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2008, 08:49:14 AM »

I think he would love:

'Prélude A L'après-midi D'un Faune' by Claude Debussy, as played by the Boston Symphony Chamber Players (it is an original score for a full orchestra, but this group, led by Michael Tilson-Thomas, takes the biscuit IMHO - the intimacy and eroticism is palpable in every note. Pure shepherd's delight, in other words... Wink)

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2008, 09:37:49 AM »

Ed Carter and Mike Kowalski play on the Bryter Later album, actually.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2008, 03:04:45 AM »

Ed Carter and Mike Kowalski play on the Bryter Later album, actually.

Well spotted, AGD reminded me of that earlier as well. Maybe they played it to him - they must be proud to be on that album. But I doubt if introverted 1960s privately-educated colonial English chap would appeal to semi-introverted Californian from a more, er, standard educational background.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2008, 07:42:17 AM »

I love that album, but I have come across others who did not like it. At this point the hype may be hurting AOTS--the comments I hear are usually along the lines of "It's not THAT good" or "I"m not impressed" or "I don't see what all the fuss is about."

But for me, it's in my top ten of all time, maybe my top five.

I was pretty skeptical of it b/c of the hype when I first listened to it, but it's grown on me, and now I absolutely love it!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx