gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 02:03:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If you could pick 5 albums to play for Brian Wilson...  (Read 15766 times)
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2008, 01:46:39 AM »

as for those who'd rather discuss food with him - i don't believe you.  what a gigantic waste of your time that would be.  and imagine the thumping you'd get from people.  'you had a couple of hours with brian wilson, and you talked about scallops?  what?' 

Believe it. Not scallops though if I can help it, i'd like to see what he thinks of Portuguese custard tarts and see if he wants to try some nice British cuisine - this is assuming we're in a British restaurant of course. Otherwise Brian will have to invite me to his regular restaurant to see what I think of his favourite dishes, I like (among other things) Steak, Burgers, Chips (french fries), Lasagne, Fajitas, Stir Fry, All day Breakfast, Escalopes, Jacket Potatoes, Omelettes, Pizzas, KFC, Corn on the cob, Chicken, Waffles, Pancakes, Birthday cake, Tea, Oxo, Cup-a-soup, Spag Bol, Chocolate (especially Belgian and Swiss) and biscuits. So if Brian is reading this then any of the above will do, but i'm really open to anything.
2nded. In fact, the few times I joined in on the blueboard chats with "Brian," food is pretty much all I ever did discuss. And for what it's worth, "he" always responded.  Grin

So, Luther, you throw him a virtual hamburger and he responds? The words 'familiar' and 'scenario' come to mind.

now he sounds like pavlov's beach boy.  (or do i mean one of b f skinner's beach boys?)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2008, 02:41:31 AM »

as for those who'd rather discuss food with him - i don't believe you.  what a gigantic waste of your time that would be.  and imagine the thumping you'd get from people.  'you had a couple of hours with brian wilson, and you talked about scallops?  what?' 

Believe it. Not scallops though if I can help it, i'd like to see what he thinks of Portuguese custard tarts and see if he wants to try some nice British cuisine - this is assuming we're in a British restaurant of course. Otherwise Brian will have to invite me to his regular restaurant to see what I think of his favourite dishes, I like (among other things) Steak, Burgers, Chips (french fries), Lasagne, Fajitas, Stir Fry, All day Breakfast, Escalopes, Jacket Potatoes, Omelettes, Pizzas, KFC, Corn on the cob, Chicken, Waffles, Pancakes, Birthday cake, Tea, Oxo, Cup-a-soup, Spag Bol, Chocolate (especially Belgian and Swiss) and biscuits. So if Brian is reading this then any of the above will do, but i'm really open to anything.
2nded. In fact, the few times I joined in on the blueboard chats with "Brian," food is pretty much all I ever did discuss. And for what it's worth, "he" always responded.  Grin

So, Luther, you throw him a virtual hamburger and he responds? The words 'familiar' and 'scenario' come to mind.

now he sounds like pavlov's beach boy.  (or do i mean one of b f skinner's beach boys?)

Smiley yeah, leave it to our Luther to travel the route of deep psychology...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2008, 03:50:30 AM »

1. Brian Wilson 1988
2. Imagination
3. Getting In Over My Head
4. What I Really Want For Christmas
5. That Lucky Old Sun

For two reasons....I doubt if he's listened to any of them more than a few times, if at all. And, I would be curious to see how long he could sit through each one.

This thread is weird, but this post was a real highlight.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2008, 04:15:49 AM »

Put another record on.

Honk! Honk!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2008, 05:39:19 AM »

Put another record on.

Yeah. Something like: 'Dickie Cheney Sings For Children (And Grown-ups Too!). Right?

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2008, 09:42:50 PM »

Brian would hate Music Tapes, too. Julian Koster would get a punch in the face. (Sometimes he needs one anyway: a Christmas album on the singing saw? foda...)

Well, I'm starting think Brian's not a very nice guy. He hates on everybody else's new music, and then giving us his best doe-eyed toothy grin, tells us to buy something like Gettin' In Over My Head or Imagination, complete with slick modern production that would make Britney Spears proud. Maybe Koster would hit Brian in the face with a singing saw for those albums.

How can we be so sure Brian wouldn't like it? He likes Smile now, and perhaps may like some modern Smile like musicians.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2008, 09:53:46 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD_0wegMc7Q    The Music Tapes - Majesty

Wow, another Music Tapes fan. If I was ever in a profession where I had my own lobby for guests to wait, "In an Ice Palace" would be on constant repeat.

Amen! And how did this quote end up on the Al Jardine topic?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2008, 10:54:51 PM »

Amen! And how did this quote end up on the Al Jardine topic?

I like to have a couple tabs open in my browser. Using tabs is liking driving down the freeway while you're using your cell phone and trying to fix your hair. Eventually, you're going to crash into the wrong topic.

If I really felt like playing Brian something crazy, I'd play Black Moth Super Rainbow for him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC6aAs4kkbY
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2008, 11:31:25 PM »

I wonder what he'd think of Neutral Milk Hotel's In The Aeroplane Over The Sea.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2008, 02:09:41 AM »

1. Brian Wilson 1988
2. Imagination
3. Getting In Over My Head
4. What I Really Want For Christmas
5. That Lucky Old Sun

For two reasons....I doubt if he's listened to any of them more than a few times, if at all. And, I would be curious to see how long he could sit through each one.

If he did take the time, he might find a lot of good songs swamped by indifferent production.  Of course, he'd also find a lot of drivel and a lot that lies in between.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2008, 07:39:30 AM »

I wonder what he'd think of Neutral Milk Hotel's In The Aeroplane Over The Sea.
My guess--and obviously it's just a guess--is that he wouldn't like it. Over the years in various interviews he's talked about not liking things purely based on the singer's voice. And while I think Mangum's voice is really touching, it's not good in the sense that Brian Wilson seems to like singing. I really believe that on the whole, he'd rather hear an album of any words whatsoever--or none at all--being sung well in harmony than something really creative and personal but not necessarily sung well. But Mangum certainly does like BW.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2008, 12:15:38 PM »

be careful, he might take some of the melodies and re-write lyrics to em!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2008, 06:35:31 PM »

Am I the only one who thinks Aeroplane Over the Sea is an overrated collection of garbage?

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2008, 06:39:19 PM »

No.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

SG7
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2008, 07:56:29 PM »

my 5

1. Stereolab - Cobra and Phases in the Milky Night

2. The Ronettes Feat. Veronica (of course!)

3. The instrumental version of Amy Winehouse's Back to Black album

4. Duffy - Rockferry

5. Nico - Chelsea Girl
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2008, 09:11:29 PM »

I didn't know this existed...I presume the Spector influence is more apparent that way?
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2008, 09:41:51 PM »

Am I the only one who thinks Aeroplane Over the Sea is an overrated collection of garbage?
No, both you and Luther are the only ones who think that.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2008, 11:44:24 PM »

I love that album, but I have come across others who did not like it. At this point the hype may be hurting AOTS--the comments I hear are usually along the lines of "It's not THAT good" or "I"m not impressed" or "I don't see what all the fuss is about."

But for me, it's in my top ten of all time, maybe my top five.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2008, 04:50:41 AM »

No, both you and Luther are the only ones who think that.
Actually I love it, believing its among the best five albums of all time. I was just answering his question.

SG7
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2008, 05:06:53 AM »

I didn't know this existed...I presume the Spector influence is more apparent that way?

Yes and plus a lot cooler!
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2008, 06:51:32 AM »

Here's my 5:

1. Florida Suite by Frederick Delius - a beautiful, very descriptive tribute to Florida in the early 20th century by a fairly obscure English composer. I think BW would love the aural imagery - you can almost feel the humidity in the air!

2. Bali by Wondermints - I wonder if Brian ever heard the whole album all the way through. Clever, witty, almost tongue-in-cheek at times.

3. Ravel - Orchestral Works (Montreal Symphony, Charles Dutoit conducting) - two works off here in particular are such magnificent orchestrations! The Mother Goose Suite has all the playfulness and childishness BW loves, yet is a very sophisticated piece of music. And Le Tombeau De Couperin is in the same vein, only even richer if that's possible.

4. Waltz For Debby - Bill Evans Trio - virtuoso live performances by the Bill Evans Trio of classic jazz/pop songs, just the kind of thing that might inspire. Sadly Evans' superb bassist Scott LaFaro was killed in a car crash a few days after this was recorded...

5. The Association - their self-titled album - if there was ever an album that could surpass the BBs/BW Band in vocal "gorgeousness", this might be it. Excellent songs, superbly played and magnificently sung. Maybe it would create a competitive spirit in Brian.

Or maybe I'm completely full of crap and he'd hate allof these!  Grin
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2008, 07:41:43 AM »

Here's my 5:

1. Florida Suite by Frederick Delius - a beautiful, very descriptive tribute to Florida in the early 20th century by a fairly obscure English composer. I think BW would love the aural imagery - you can almost feel the humidity in the air!

2. Bali by Wondermints - I wonder if Brian ever heard the whole album all the way through. Clever, witty, almost tongue-in-cheek at times.

3. Ravel - Orchestral Works (Montreal Symphony, Charles Dutoit conducting) - two works off here in particular are such magnificent orchestrations! The Mother Goose Suite has all the playfulness and childishness BW loves, yet is a very sophisticated piece of music. And Le Tombeau De Couperin is in the same vein, only even richer if that's possible.

4. Waltz For Debby - Bill Evans Trio - virtuoso live performances by the Bill Evans Trio of classic jazz/pop songs, just the kind of thing that might inspire. Sadly Evans' superb bassist Scott LaFaro was killed in a car crash a few days after this was recorded...

5. The Association - their self-titled album - if there was ever an album that could surpass the BBs/BW Band in vocal "gorgeousness", this might be it. Excellent songs, superbly played and magnificently sung. Maybe it would create a competitive spirit in Brian.

Or maybe I'm completely full of crap and he'd hate allof these!  Grin

Great list, mr. McShane. A truly great, and quite esoteric list. Chapeau!

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2008, 08:41:44 PM »

Jim's is the only list I can see Brian liking.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2008, 12:16:09 AM »

Didn't someone, maybe Tony Asher, hip Brian to this around the time of Pet Sounds, so it may well have inspired his best work!? Anyway, great choice. I love Bill Evans, especially Undercurrent.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2008, 02:01:52 AM »

Don't know if anyone's already mentiond this, but I'd love to play The Zombies' Odyssey & Oracle to Brian. It's the album from the period that comes closest to sounding like Pet Sounds imo, with all the delicate vocal arrangements. Brian must have heard it - I wonder what he thought? It's a beautiful album.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx