gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:42:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If you could pick 5 albums to play for Brian Wilson...  (Read 15683 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2008, 10:33:37 AM »

Leave it to Luther Downer to ruin all the fun...

Yes, he's quite a spoilsport, ain't he? Is it his genes? He seems to imbibe a lot, so perhaps he's battling a hangover situation. Or something.
But yeah, that Wilson fellow can get on your nerves too, especially when you are a news hack.
Proof: 'Brian, you like movies, I heard. Now then, what was the last movie you been to?'
Brian: 'Norbit'.
Hack: 'Hmmm you're in the know. What is for you the best movie of all time, ever made?'
Brian: 'Norbit'.

This really happened. I smell a 'my friend Bob' kind of situation.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2008, 10:53:45 AM »

The glazed-eyed, uninterested Brian would depress me.

Oh, I'm much more sinister than that. While I was playing the albums, I'd start asking why he was a failure as a both a popular musician and father, and how it feels to only be able to write pale facsimiles of the songs he perfected 40 years ago. Then I'd tie him to a piano bench and tell him that he'd never be free until he wrote a 3:30 length avant-garde song about cowboys and indians with 6 different musical sections. During all of this, I'd keep dangling cake and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in front of his face, pulling them just out of reach and then devouring them right in front of his face, laughing. Then I'd tell him I'm a clone from the future sent by Spector's grandson, made from the mixed DNA of Mike Love and Phil Spector. Then I'd just do Native American dances to Animal Collective songs until he completed my song.

Yes, Luther, I want Brian glazed-eyed and uninterested. I just don't care like you do, I'm a greedy, selfish fan and I want his soul as a souvenir.
MZ6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2008, 11:49:06 AM »

BTW, I just found out that the melody of "Don't Hurt My Little Sister" was completely stolen from the beginning of the song "She's So Fine" by Flash Cadillac & The Contours. That's sad, I love that melody.

Although the band date from the late 1960s, I'm sure that tune is from the early 1970s.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2008, 03:17:28 PM »

Jeez, I go to work and come back to find everybody hates me. Guess I'll go eat worms, you bunch of f*ckers. EDIT: Whoa! I thought that would be edited to "luthers," as was happening earlier. And in case I am being mistaken for serious here, I'm kidding. (One never knows what gets missed...) I don't think you're a bunch of f*ckers. Or a bunch of luthers.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 03:18:39 PM by Luther » Logged

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
MBE
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2008, 09:10:28 PM »

When did the swearing ban get lifted? I don't mind myself but it's funny to read here.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2008, 09:35:35 PM »

In my slightly abbreviated state of mind, I thought you typed "Lutherans".

Honestly I never minded the swearing, although I didn't lift it myself.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2008, 11:17:55 PM »

Sufjan Stevens is awesome.

I would lock him in a room and make him listen to these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD_0wegMc7Q    The Music Tapes - Majesty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_RbSAwMa3U    Daniel Johnston - The Story of an Artist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkE-TZVM4Oo    Grandaddy - Fare Thee Not Well Mutineer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6sEdodZEg0    Trachtenburg Family - Mountain Trip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UjiOpwHNZ4    Mount Righteous - Sea Man

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
MBE
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2008, 11:47:35 PM »

In my slightly abbreviated state of mind, I thought you typed "Lutherans".

Honestly I never minded the swearing, although I didn't lift it myself.

Either way works for me though I think I may have sworn only once on here. In real life I am a little worse lol.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2008, 12:24:11 AM »

I think this is a great topic idea if you accept that i a) it's obviously totally unfeasible to be in that situation, and b) if you were, Brian would most likely not be interested, but if one can pretend that he was keen to hear some new music I would play him:

1. Panda Bear - Person Pitch just because it would be interesting to play him something so overtly influenced by Pet Sounds, (and Phil Spector too). This record comes the closest for me to doing justice to the Brian Wilson legacy i.e. music that is both modern/forward looking and influenced by The Beach Boys, rather than tired pastiche which so much BB-influenced music is. The imminent Animal Collective record Merriweather Post pavillion takes the BB legacy one step further in (from what I have read and the live version of its songs that I've heard) in combining Beach Boys-style harmonizing with techno and dance textures - as if BW had taken ecstasy I guess! This I find really interesting as it really is developing Beach Boys music and taking it in a very new and artistsically legitimate direction, imo. Youtube 'Brother Sport' - this is one of the new tracks which'll be on the album.

2. The Pollytones acoustic version of BWPS. I love that - I'm sure it would put a smile on Brian's face too. Or probably not - who knows how he'd react to anything!

3. Can't think of anything else. Maybe Back to Black - it's not my favourite but it'd be interesting to get BW's take on an artist rerpoducing that Spector sound. I suspect he's heard it already.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 12:28:06 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2008, 02:41:01 AM »

sufjan's illinois, definitely - glad someone beat me to that observation.  it has possibly the most SMiLE ethos and flavour of any album i've heard, and is a balls-out tune-drenched joy.

other than that - ?  maybe things i reckoned would blow what's left of his mind.  jeff buckley's 'grace'.  goldfrapp's 'felt mountain'.  ravel's 'daphnis and chloe' (big influence on miles davis and burt bacharach, context fans.)  and maybe either a joni mitchell album, a bernard herrmann soundtrack or one of steven wright's two 'pony' albums, to get him giggling.  or, just to send him into cerebral orbit, some charles ives.

as for those who'd rather discuss food with him - i don't believe you.  what a gigantic waste of your time that would be.  and imagine the thumping you'd get from people.  'you had a couple of hours with brian wilson, and you talked about scallops?  what?'  (unless it's a deliberate comic self-stitch, of course.  like getting an audience with nelson mandela and asking him what his favourite number is.)

« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 07:10:18 AM by Boiled Egg » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2008, 03:08:29 AM »

I really don't think Brian would like a majority of the music you people have been mentioning. Especially Animal Collective / Panda Bear.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2008, 10:04:04 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD_0wegMc7Q    The Music Tapes - Majesty

Wow, another Music Tapes fan. If I was ever in a profession where I had my own lobby for guests to wait, "In an Ice Palace" would be on constant repeat.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2008, 12:43:44 PM »

Brian would hate Music Tapes, too. Julian Koster would get a punch in the face. (Sometimes he needs one anyway: a Christmas album on the singing saw? f***...)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2008, 01:25:06 PM »

as for those who'd rather discuss food with him - i don't believe you

Guess what? Its true. Not food for me but as I mentioned, travel.
So let me get this right. If you met Brian at the coffee shop he frequents and you struck up a conversation, you would encourage him to talk about music? Nice.
Just because it is the reason we are on this board does not mean Beach Boys music, Brian's music or the music of others would be of interest to Brian Wilson or any artist during their down time. In fact I would class it as rude.
The time for music is when they are writing it, recording it, promoting it or performing it. Outside of that leave it alone.

Given the state of Brian in the last 40 years I can not think of any reason he would want to discuss music out of hours. His short answers when he is on the clock confirm that.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2008, 01:33:24 PM »

as for those who'd rather discuss food with him - i don't believe you.  what a gigantic waste of your time that would be.  and imagine the thumping you'd get from people.  'you had a couple of hours with brian wilson, and you talked about scallops?  what?'  (unless it's a deliberate comic self-stitch, of course.  like getting an audience with nelson mandela and asking him what his favourite number is.)

You're right. I'd actually tie him to a spare bed in my house, break his legs and force him to go through all his albums, dissecting every note. Then (after re-breakings of his legs at the necessary intervals) we'd begin going through every album whose creator had either mentioned or been critically linked to BW. And then we'd go back to his influences. If I suspected he wasn't listening, I'd slap him across the face a few times. Tired? Smelling salts and speed. Brian, we are GOING to talk about this, damnit. It interests me and it's in your field of expertise. You OWE me, motherfucker. I bought your albums. [Breaks an ankle again for good measure.] That's a good use of both our time.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2008, 01:37:20 PM »

Oh god, I imagined every little bit of that.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2008, 06:36:20 PM »

Brian would hate Music Tapes, too. Julian Koster would get a punch in the face. (Sometimes he needs one anyway: a Christmas album on the singing saw? foda...)

Well, I'm starting think Brian's not a very nice guy. He hates on everybody else's new music, and then giving us his best doe-eyed toothy grin, tells us to buy something like Gettin' In Over My Head or Imagination, complete with slick modern production that would make Britney Spears proud. Maybe Koster would hit Brian in the face with a singing saw for those albums.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2008, 06:37:18 PM »

Maybe.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2008, 09:00:16 PM »

Here's an idea if Brian ever wants to make a genuinely contemporary album - but he never will- here's an idea on how I would help him do it, if I was the co-producer. Rather than play Brian the track, I'd have the band perform the songs for Brian, in their own style. He'd be a lot more receptive that way.

With that in mind, what songs would I like to play for Brian? "Killing Me Sweetly" of the new Scott Weiland disc. Although David Bowie is Weiland's biggest influence, he has mentioned Brian as an influence also, although this particular track sounds like something Dennis would've written. It's  a beautiful song.

The Daniel Johnston catalog would be interesting for Brian's reaction. Him doing "Casper the Friendly Ghost" could be the coolest thing ever.

For some reason, I would love him to do Alice in Chains' "Down in the hole".

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2008, 10:32:16 PM »

I would play him Pacific Ocean Blue and asked him what he thought of it.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2008, 01:13:09 AM »

as for those who'd rather discuss food with him - i don't believe you.  what a gigantic waste of your time that would be.  and imagine the thumping you'd get from people.  'you had a couple of hours with brian wilson, and you talked about scallops?  what?' 

Believe it. Not scallops though if I can help it, i'd like to see what he thinks of Portuguese custard tarts and see if he wants to try some nice British cuisine - this is assuming we're in a British restaurant of course. Otherwise Brian will have to invite me to his regular restaurant to see what I think of his favourite dishes, I like (among other things) Steak, Burgers, Chips (french fries), Lasagne, Fajitas, Stir Fry, All day Breakfast, Escalopes, Jacket Potatoes, Omelettes, Pizzas, KFC, Corn on the cob, Chicken, Waffles, Pancakes, Birthday cake, Tea, Oxo, Cup-a-soup, Spag Bol, Chocolate (especially Belgian and Swiss) and biscuits. So if Brian is reading this then any of the above will do, but i'm really open to anything.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2008, 01:49:00 AM »

Really like that idea of talking food with Brian. In fact, this could make quite a good article: meet the guy at a restaurant, have a nice chat with him about his favorite dishes and maybe get to hear some free and easy anecdotes along the way.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2008, 06:12:33 AM »

as for those who'd rather discuss food with him - i don't believe you.  what a gigantic waste of your time that would be.  and imagine the thumping you'd get from people.  'you had a couple of hours with brian wilson, and you talked about scallops?  what?' 

Believe it. Not scallops though if I can help it, i'd like to see what he thinks of Portuguese custard tarts and see if he wants to try some nice British cuisine - this is assuming we're in a British restaurant of course. Otherwise Brian will have to invite me to his regular restaurant to see what I think of his favourite dishes, I like (among other things) Steak, Burgers, Chips (french fries), Lasagne, Fajitas, Stir Fry, All day Breakfast, Escalopes, Jacket Potatoes, Omelettes, Pizzas, KFC, Corn on the cob, Chicken, Waffles, Pancakes, Birthday cake, Tea, Oxo, Cup-a-soup, Spag Bol, Chocolate (especially Belgian and Swiss) and biscuits. So if Brian is reading this then any of the above will do, but i'm really open to anything.
2nded. In fact, the few times I joined in on the blueboard chats with "Brian," food is pretty much all I ever did discuss. And for what it's worth, "he" always responded.  Grin

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2008, 06:28:43 AM »

2nded. In fact, the few times I joined in on the blueboard chats with "Brian," food is pretty much all I ever did discuss. And for what it's worth, "he" always responded.  Grin

So, Luther, you throw him a virtual hamburger and he responds? The words 'familiar' and 'scenario' come to mind.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2008, 11:26:15 AM »

I'd play him the Paley sessions...
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx