gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:47:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If you could pick 5 albums to play for Brian Wilson...  (Read 15764 times)
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2008, 10:50:46 PM »

...what would you pick? I'd mainly expose him to some of that modern music he apparently hates, just to see what his opinion would be. Here would be my choices:

Animal Collective - Sung Tongs. This album is kind of like a continuation of Smiley Smile, but brighter. It's psychedelic, acoustic 'freak folk' music with some adventurous harmonies and arrangements. ("Who Could Win a Rabbit" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTbd0Ncsyus)

Moses Hogan - some kind of compilation of his music. Over the last couple of decades, he took a lot black spirituals and made amazing choral arrangements for them."Elijah Rock" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLR31UyuFP0 = not the best recording, but it'll do) is a must hear song, and it's now practically a standard for many high school choirs. It reminds me of some of the SMiLE era vocals Brian came up with.

Stereolab - Kyberneticka Babicka EP. It's not the best Stereolab release. Really, I just would want Brian Wilson to hear the song "Kyberneticka Babicka". I predict he'd either really like it or run out of the room screaming after a couple of minutes. It's 10 minutes of two chord repetitions and processed vocal "ba bas" and "ooh ooohs". One review I read called it a missing song from Brian's early 70s work. (Unfortunately, "Kyberneticka Babicka" isn't on youtube.com, so here's "Interlock" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICm7rdiVWAY

Os Mutantes - Everything is Possible! (Greatest Hits) - Great psychedelic latin music from the late 1960s, mainly here just to teach Brian Wilson a lesson for releasing the song "Mexican Girl". It's like how Ravi Shankar felt he had to personally teach George Harrison a thing or two about how the sitar is actually played after hearing "Norwegian Wood". ("A Minha Menina" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ohTi8lbeok

Sufjan Stevens - Michigan. He's probably one of the more interesting pop "composers" since Brian Wilson, and he started almost as young. Although his songwriting isn't as good as Brian Wilson's (not to say that he doesn't have some great songs, because he does), the arrangements are outstanding at times and quite innovative for pop songs, all uniquely influenced by Philip Glass and folk. He also has an Americana theme going on with his music, with the albums "Michigan" and "Illinoise". ["Detroit" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRMIRpYl-VE, ignore the intro before the song, it's about 50 seconds, although I personally like it because I live just a few miles from Detroit in a slowly sinking suburb)

BTW, I just found out that the melody of "Don't Hurt My Little Sister" was completely stolen from the beginning of the song "She's So Fine" by Flash Cadillac & The Contours. That's sad, I love that melody.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 10:56:23 PM by Dada » Logged
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 11:10:13 PM »

I cant pick my 5 now, but if I were to play Sufjan, it'd definitely be Illinoise, I think that album is a direct result of Brian's imprint in modern pop music.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 11:56:29 PM »

I'd sit down with my big box of rare Brian Wilson "outside production" and other rare 45s... stuff like Sharon Marie, Kenny & Cadets, Paul Petersen, the Survivors, Rachel and the Revolvers, etc.  I'd be interested to see how many of those he'd remember, and if he had any interesting stories to tell about them.

Then I'd play "Thank Him", and ask why he's never done a "real" version of this tremendously wonderful song that has been lost for 45 years.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 12:38:29 AM »

No need for any albums - I'd just play Be My Baby over and over and over and over and hope that Brian gets soooo happy that:

(a) he dosen't just wander off, and
(b) he answers all my questions with more than one word
MBE
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 01:35:41 AM »

I sent him an LP by the Bobby Doyle trio after asking his managment if it would get to him. They assured me it would though I never heard back. I really didn't expect too I guess. Why I sent it is because I like Kenny Rogers' early stuff when he was doing rock and jazz and Brian once said he liked him too (check out the Just Dropped In reference in H.E.L.P.)  This Bobby Doyle group Kenny was in was kind of like the Four Freshman mixed with Ray Charles. Rogers' voice was a lot higher then with no gravel. So if he did get it, I think he would have liked it.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 01:37:41 AM by MBE » Logged
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 02:12:50 AM »

I'd play him my 5 favorite BB/BW albums (Pet Sounds, Smile, Sunflower, Friends, Today) and bug him with questions about the songs non-stop...

And if the albums must be by someone else, I'd probably start with "XO" by Elliott Smith...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 02:46:45 AM by shelter » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 03:38:22 AM »

I reckon he wouldn't care all that much for any current or even cutting edge music. He likes easy listening and oldies stations. Probably better play him some Paul McCartney.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 05:23:08 AM »

Brian definitely would not like Animal Collective. Though they have some Beach Boys influence, their alternative and noise influences would turn him off.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 05:33:55 AM »

Jesus And Mary Chain - 'Psychocandy'

Lou Reed - 'Metal Machine Music'

The Shaggs - 'Philosophy Of The World'

PiL - 'Metal Box'

Dennis Wilson - 'Pacific Ocean Blue'

just kidding...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 07:41:05 AM »

I think i'd rather eat a meal with Brian, and discuss food with him to be honest.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 08:23:55 AM »

Moses Hogan - some kind of compilation of his music. Over the last couple of decades, he took a lot black spirituals and made amazing choral arrangements for them."Elijah Rock" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLR31UyuFP0 = not the best recording, but it'll do) is a must hear song, and it's now practically a standard for many high school choirs. It reminds me of some of the SMiLE era vocals Brian came up with.

I love Moses Hogan.  I actually got to meet him at an all-state choir thing I did my senior year of high school (2001).  We sang one of his compositions, and it was so cool being taught by the actual composer.  Such a brilliant vocal arranger he was...Brian would definitely appreciate him.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 08:33:03 AM »

I'd play him The Flaming Lips' The Soft Bulletin and hope he doesn't freak out. I'd bet there'd be a few parts that he'd like...maybe.

I wonder if he's ever heard Pink Floyd's Piper at the Gates of Dawn?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 08:51:13 AM »

As far as playing him some BB-influenced post-70s music from more of an alternative background goes, I've read that someone once played him "Pale And Precious" by The Dukes Of Stratosphear and he thought it was great.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 09:04:33 AM »

As far as playing him some BB-influenced post-70s music from more of an alternative background goes, I've read that someone once played him "Pale And Precious" by The Dukes Of Stratosphear and he thought it was great.

Was Pale and Precious the album with Psonic Psunspot and 25 O'Clock compiled together?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 09:36:51 AM »

Blue Nile - High
Prefab Sprout - Steve McQueen
Elliott Smith - XO
Ron Sexsmith - Other Songs
Rufus Wainwright - Rufus Wainwright

or Kind of Blue...
Thunderfingers75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 10:05:04 AM »

I'd also play some for him that he would more than likely hate...I'd actually be more interested to sit down and discuss tunes with Scott or Darian. Not that I dont love Bri!

Wilco: Being There
Joe Henry: Fuse
I'm also gonna include The Flaming Lips: The Soft Bulletin, it's one of my favorites
I have to include Weezer: The Blue Album cause it's a masterpiece
R.E.M. - Up
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 10:19:40 AM »

Was Pale and Precious the album with Psonic Psunspot and 25 O'Clock compiled together?

That's Chips From The Chocolate Fireball. They just played him that one song.

Such a cool record. I like it even more than all the other XTC stuff.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 02:23:48 PM »

First off, I'd try to use vinyl, if at all possible.

-Rubber Soul
-Bookends
-Love You
-A collection of later Spector projects (post 1970)
-Ok Computer

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 02:55:03 PM »

1. Brian Wilson 1988
2. Imagination
3. Getting In Over My Head
4. What I Really Want For Christmas
5. That Lucky Old Sun

For two reasons....I doubt if he's listened to any of them more than a few times, if at all. And, I would be curious to see how long he could sit through each one.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 04:12:18 PM »

haha, good call John Stone!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 06:34:55 PM »

I think i'd rather eat a meal with Brian, and discuss food with him to be honest.

I agree 100%. Would anyone on this board want to discuss their work or career 24/7 ?

I'd sooner give him 5 travel books.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 06:44:34 PM »

I think it would be great if, say, he were a guest in my home and were perusing my music collection, then asking me to show him five albums he hadn't heard. Otherwise, no thanks. The glazed-eyed, uninterested Brian would depress me. My dad is about Brian's age ... I get enough disinterest from him when I play him music I like. Remember, just because some band may claim Brian as an influence, or sound to our ears like Brian, (for better or for worse) doesn't mean he'd give half a f*** about them. He's made pretty clear over the years that he wants to listen to what he already likes. I say leave the old guy alone.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 11:41:46 PM »

I'd also play him Sweet Mountain .... just imagine where Brian was when he did this, he was in some mood

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Thunderfingers75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2008, 06:34:18 AM »

I think it would be great if, say, he were a guest in my home and were perusing my music collection, then asking me to show him five albums he hadn't heard. Otherwise, no thanks. The glazed-eyed, uninterested Brian would depress me. My dad is about Brian's age ... I get enough disinterest from him when I play him music I like. Remember, just because some band may claim Brian as an influence, or sound to our ears like Brian, (for better or for worse) doesn't mean he'd give half a foda about them. He's made pretty clear over the years that he wants to listen to what he already likes. I say leave the old guy alone.

Take a look at most of the topics on this board. If BW/BB fans dont have hypothetical situations to discuss, there wouldnt be much discussion at all.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2008, 10:03:37 AM »

Leave it to Luther Downer to ruin all the fun...

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx